• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

• A third game, like Gens 1-4

Votes: 124 51.9%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

Votes: 36 15.1%

• Total voters
Re: Release Date for next game?

2014 and 2015 will probably have Z and whatever remakes, and with the 20th anniversary on 2016, there'll most likely be Gen VII then.

I can see RS Remakes out by March or April next year at earliest.

Pokemon Z probably around September 2015.

Gamefreak has managed to get a main series games out every year since Pokemon Platinum in 2009 which is pretty sweet.

It doesn’t apply for Jp releases though. There was no release in 2011 in Japan.

This is my guess for the next games

Pokemon Z(Early December 2014)

Ruby/Sapphire Remakes(Mid October 2015).

2016 will see a 1 year break from Pokemon while Gamefreak decides if Gen 7 will stay on the 3DS or whatever nintendos next handheld is.

What do u guys think will see next? When do u think it will be Released?

Z or whatever will be probably released in 2015 to be promoted along with Zygarde movie.
So this year would be remakes or nothing.

As much as I'd like for the third game or sequels to come out this year, I'm not sure how likely that's going to be. I think one reason why they were able to put out a main series game/games every year since Platinum is because of how they were putting the fifth generation games on the DS before moving to the 3DS system. It might also depend on how long they plan the sixth generation to last. It would be awesome to get whatever they have for after X/Y this year though since I'm honestly curious about what direction they'll go with. I can see R/S remakes coming out next year though.

I can see the third Gen VI game being announced mid-to-late this year, probably, due for release either near christmas or spring next year. I am hoping they will continue the worldwide release as a thing from now on, since it's actually a really neat way to prevent spoilers in unreleased territories. I'm still banking on RS remakes being next, possibly followed by a third version. That, or a standalone modified Emerald remake, but then the problem with that is that releasing only one remake version will probably not make as much money, which they most likely put first.
For all we know, they're developing the next game right now. Assuming they aren't planning on a "Gen 6.5"-type thing where they patch in more pokemon later, for all we know they're already drawing region designs.

I assume the sixth generation will last as long as the 3DS. And if not that, it might even be the thing that keeps the 3DS alive longer.

I think it'll definitely be a third game this time instead of sequels/prequels. At earliest though, I don't expect in announcement til December of this year or very early on next year. It would be nice if the third game doesn't have an easily predictable name of Pokemon Z. Some imaginative name would be a whole lot better. :D

My personal predictions (or hopes) for the rest of Gen 6 on the 3DS are:

Autumn 2014/Spring 2015: Ruby/Sapphire remakes
(Autumn 2015: Pokemon Z )
2016: Red/Blue remakes for the 20th anniversary
(Spring 2017: Pokemon Z)

For Pokemon Z, I think both of those time slots are possible depending on the timing of the others.

Autumn 2014/Spring 2015: Ruby/Sapphire
2016:Red/Blue sequels for the 20th anniversary

For Pokemon Z, I think both of those time slots are possible depending on the timing of the others.

Fixed.

I think we will get Pokemon Z next.

I have some further and alternative ideas as well so bear with me on this.

We could have an updated version of X and Y in the form of Z where Team flare use both Xerneas and Yveltal to power the weapon so you must capture Zygarde in order to stop the ecosystem from failing. This could include a mega evolution for Zygarde in order to boost it's power.

We could have sequels continuing the story where a new Team flare, possibly led by Malva, has learned of the other legendary from the primary pair out of the trio and intend to use it's power to reconstruct and power the weapon. Alternatively another team, maybe called Team Pulsar, which could also involve Malva with them or even potentially a reformed Team Flare against them, are after both legendaries by capturing the released one from the past game and by using the player to awaken the other for them so that they could use their powers together to control the ecosystem. This could be part of a grander scheme to draw out Zygarde, possibly an attempt to enhance, control and develop evolution, primarily through mega evolution. Both could result in the formation of Zygarite X or Y based on which sequel your playing in order to defeat Xerneas and Yveltal.

The Team Pulsar story could work in a Pokemon Z version where, rather that it being the usual third version, it could be an alternative version in which Team Flare were unsuccessful in locating any of the legendaries and in re-configuring the weapon for them to control it. The previously mentioned others, Team Pulsar, who were asking questions before Team Flare, make there return to the region in a new location where they have both legendaries so that they can control the ecosystem and/or to obtain Zygarde. You have to use Zygarde and a Zygarite to defeat Xerneas and Yveltal.

The sequels could be called X2 and Y2 to represent the second versions, XZ/ZX and YZ/ZY (I prefer XZ and YZ) to represent the development of the plot and the introduction of Zygarde into the mix, or they could be called -X and -Y to represent the alternative line of intention for the legendaries.alternatively to extend the generation we could have the third version in Z followed by -X and -Y along -Z (whether at the same time or a later date) to introduce the other team with their own intentions a few years later in the overall plot.

More places could be included in later versions (not in Z if the -XYZ story was followed), which could include a far of region. The far off region could be the main setting with you having to frequently visit Kalos, possibly following and tracking down the Team of this story and the eventual encounter with Zygarde. I could see the far away region being in Gen 7 however and just a smaller sub-region as a separate island or connected to Kalos somewhere, either at the start of the game or as part of the post game similar to the Sevii Islands, as a way of updating and extending the story.

More Pokemon, forms and mega evolutions could potentially be included especially if another region of some sorts was included. X and Y could be updated through the Eshop and/or through communicating with the next version(s) this could update the national dex to include the new pokemon after the current National dex total (including Diancie, Volcanion and hoopa) with their number registering as ?? before acquiring the national dex in X and Y. The update would be neccessary to communicate with the next and already updated games so using the the next version(s) or even the updated games as sources for the update would help anyone unable to use the online features to update their game, similar to the berry fix from Gen 3.

I'm more inclined to believe we will have the usual third version in the form of Z with Zygarde as the main legendary for this game and it could have it's own mega evolution exclusively accessible, but not exclusively usable, to Z. This could also include new mega evolutions for other Pokemon, preferably the other starter should at least get them but not necessarily the Kalos starters at the moment, however their has now been time to get to know them so there could at least be the possibility for them this time around, which could work just in the same way as Zygarde's mega evolution.

I think that's everything, so what do you think?

Last edited:

Autumn 2014/Spring 2015: Ruby/Sapphire
2016:Red/Blue sequels for the 20th anniversary

Fixed.

Not really. Gold and Silver (or HGSS) were already Kanto sequels. So, we already have Kanto sequels. If you're looking for things to add onto Red and Blue, then I'd say that the Sevii Islands and a new Johto post-game would be plenty. Remakes don't necessarily have to mean cut and paste the originals either. They can add a bunch of new features, like ones introduced in XY, and expand the games to give them new life. There's not much they can do with sequels, if they're even feasible, unless they completely change everything. There's no evil team anymore in Kanto due to the story of GS. Sure they could maybe write a new story with new characters that takes place after a long time. But I also feel like completely new ideas and content should be saved for new gens and remakes should just serve their purpose as remakes: nostalgia money bombs. Imo, I'd prefer if they didn't go to the middle, but that's just me. But, straight remakes would be easier and faster to produce, plus straight remakes of the original RB (with a few improvements obviously, such as new features introduced in XY like customization) for the 20th anniversary would make much more sense. The fact that it would bring Kanto into 3D for the anniversary is the only hype/new-ness needed.

But hey, whether it be remakes or sequels, I'm sure we'll all love them either way. At its base, it just needs to be Kanto (and a Sevii Islands + Johto post-game would be cool) with some classic characters and references from the original Red and Blue. I'd be fine either way, and I'd buy them either way, but I just think that from GF's standpoint, remakes would be more likely. But who knows?

Last edited:
I have an awesome idea.

You're in Kanto, as the child of Red and Daisy(Blue's Sister). You get a Shiny starter from oak, and your rival is Tyler, the son of Blue and Carmine, a Neo Rocket Boss. He's brainwashed by his mom and another neo rocket boss, Alejandro. The Neo Rockets are basically a pokemon cartel. Blue travels with you, helping out with his Mega Blastoise, mega Tyranitar and a sword containing the essence of Suicune. So there are 2 new gyms, Lavender town's ghost gym, lead by Rook, and a fairy gym lead by Daisy in Pallet Town. you battle Carmine with a sword, riding on a bird pokemon while she rides on a mega Aerodactyl and uses a Doubledge as a weapon. this would be much darker. the end would have you, Gold, and Red on mt silver using swords containing the essence of Entei, Raikou,and Suicune, respectfully(Blue has collapsed after battling Tyler and Carmine in a tag battle) and your pokemon to take down Alejandro.

I'M going to write a fan fic.

I think that there will most likely be a third version this gen. Black and White had a much more differences so it makes sense that the would have a split sequel. X and Y have very little differences, so GameFreak will probably just make a third version to combine them.

What will it be? I have no clue and can't guess.

What do I want?

DLC add on for X and Y. It'd probably be cheaper than another game, and would prevent x/y from becoming obsolete after its release.

Kalos is fun and all, but it feels really compact. It's just such a quick thing to get through. I don't see sequels because weren't BW2 done because they needed a reason to stay on the DS? Plus Gen I had the updated versions of Red/Green with Blue and Yellow, so I suspect something similar. I think a third version that expands the map with new and interesting locations (and not just post-game stuff, please.)

I have an awesome idea.

You're in Kanto
No.

Kalos is fun and all, but it feels really compact. It's just such a quick thing to get through. I don't see sequels because weren't BW2 done because they needed a reason to stay on the DS? Plus Gen I had the updated versions of Red/Green with Blue and Yellow, so I suspect something similar. I think a third version that expands the map with new and interesting locations (and not just post-game stuff, please.)

I don't think a third version would make significant changes to the storyline path, if they add any new areas, they'd probably be optional or post game areas. Sequels would be better for this sort of thing.

I also think there's more that could be done with the storyline, particularly with Malva, the idea of having a member of the Elite 4 as a member of the evil team is just too good to pass up, and they can't really do anything with that in a Z version because it'd be too significant a change in the storyline.

What if...just...what if...

...we get a third game that isn't Kalos-centric? Not a sequel, not a prequel, not a remake; just a new game, new region, same 718 pokemon?

What if...just...what if...

...we get a third game that isn't Kalos-centric? Not a sequel, not a prequel, not a remake; just a new game, new region, same 718 pokemon?
You'd think that more people would be talking about that with the blatant XY references to an unseen region that will be seen in "due time". I disagree that no Pokémon will be added, seeing as the Strange Souvenir suggests otherwise. Patches make a (probably small) National Pokédex expansion possible; upgrading XY for compatibility wouldn't cost money.

I don't think a third version would make significant changes to the storyline path, if they add any new areas, they'd probably be optional or post game areas. Sequels would be better for this sort of thing.

I also think there's more that could be done with the storyline, particularly with Malva, the idea of having a member of the Elite 4 as a member of the evil team is just too good to pass up, and they can't really do anything with that in a Z version because it'd be too significant a change in the storyline.
In platinum they added the looker and charon to the main story sort of, but it ended up in a side quest.

In platinum they added the looker and charon to the main story sort of, but it ended up in a side quest.

That's not a significant change, that's simply an expansion of DPPt's story. What I'm saying is I don't think they'll do things like mess around with the gym selection or order (beyond Platinum shuffling around the 3rd-5th gym, but they didn't need to change much for that), send you through Mountain Kalos before Coastal Kalos, change all of the places where Team Flare shows up, or make significant changes to what certain characters do in the storyline. It's most likely just going to be relatively minor tweaks to flesh the game out a bit more. Just like every other third version that's ever been created.

Back
Top Bottom