• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

How can I make a Brave natured Tyrunt with 6 perfect IV's from these results?
Getting the perfect mix of IV and Nature isn't easy. (You are using a Destiny Knot, right?)

First, if you absolutely have to have a Brave nature then you need a Brave parent and give them an Everstone.

Otherwise, you can improve your IV breeding by combining the Destiny Knot with a Power item (avaiable at the Battle Maison). Put the Power item on one parent to guarantee passing down their corresponding IV. If my personal theory is correct, when you combine Destiny Knot and a Power Item there's a 1/6 chance the baby will inherit all six IVs from its parents (one from the Power item and the other five from either parent at random), which means that if you have two 5IV parents, the chances of getting a 6IV baby are as high as 1/12 ... but you can't decide the Nature of the baby, so if you want that specific Nature you have to keep trying until the stars align and you get it.

Now Tyrunt/Tyrantrum are physically oriented for attacks, so you don't actually need that Sp.Atk to be flawless -- if you have that in mind, it's easier to breed for the stats and Nature because your objectives are broader.

Yes I am using the Destiny knot. I'll give your theory a try.

I know it doesn't need to be flawless but I want to try to make a flawless Pokémon to see if it's not too hard for me to do so

3-type type advantage? (Forest's Curse/Trick-or-Treat)

According to the Bulbapedia Page, Forest's Curse adds the Grass type to the target, in addition to whatever types it already has, making it have three types at once. Trick-or-Treat works the same way with Ghost types. Has anyone yet figured out how type effectiveness is going to work on a Pokemon with three types?

For example, Gligar (Ground/Flying) is 4x weak to Ice types. If Forest's Curse is used on it, it will now become Ground/Flying/Grass. Does this make it 6x weak to Ice, or 8x?

Another example, Geodude (Ground/Rock) is 1/4x resistant to Poison types. With Trick-or-Treat (Ground/Rock/Ghost), does it now become 1/6x or 1/8x resistant?

And that's not even getting into Pokemon that will be weak on two of its types and resistant on one, or vice versa, like a Bug move on a Grass/Psychic/Ghost.

Hopefully someone has figured this out. I'm not sure how it's testable without getting into the code.

Re: 3-type type advantage? (Forest's Curse/Trick-or-Treat)

According to the Bulbapedia Page, Forest's Curse adds the Grass type to the target, in addition to whatever types it already has, making it have three types at once. Trick-or-Treat works the same way with Ghost types. Has anyone yet figured out how type effectiveness is going to work on a Pokemon with three types?

For example, Gligar (Ground/Flying) is 4x weak to Ice types. If Forest's Curse is used on it, it will now become Ground/Flying/Grass. Does this make it 6x weak to Ice, or 8x?

Another example, Geodude (Ground/Rock) is 1/4x resistant to Poison types. With Trick-or-Treat (Ground/Rock/Ghost), does it now become 1/6x or 1/8x resistant?

And that's not even getting into Pokemon that will be weak on two of its types and resistant on one, or vice versa, like a Bug move on a Grass/Psychic/Ghost.

Hopefully someone has figured this out. I'm not sure how it's testable without getting into the code.
IIRC it works multiplicatively so 8x weak for gligar 1/8x resistant for geodude
and on your grass/psychic/ghost example(which could be celebi, exeggcute, or exeggutor if trick or treat is used, or hoopa if forest's curse is used)
bug would be x2

Oh, goodness. I realized I made a mistake here. The berry glitch I mentioned is due to an issue separate from the battery winding down, and only occurred in Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire. When the battery winds down, the only way to correct the problem is to replace it (unless you're good with dealing with circuitry, it might not be worth it, honestly).

Sorry about that!

Ok, thank you! I do like growing Berries and stuff, so yeah. :)

I'll be honest, I'm not sure if there's anything that has ever been able to transfer between games through Mystery Gift. I'm not sure why that's even an option, since IIRC they've never taken advantage of having it. But yeah, I don't think there's any way to transfer the Mystic Ticket.

That sucks. Majorly. Oh well. I do agree though. People who have Wi-fi and stuff shouldn't be the only ones that are able to get the events. They should be abled to be "copied" onto someone that is less fortunate or whatever also!

If all they've done is change the encounters and get more items, you most likely won't have any problems. If it does start glitching out, then I would suggest resetting it. Be warned, though, that resetting that copy would permanently get rid of all the event key items on it.

Thats good that it probably won't have problems. About the Event Key item, the Mystic Ticket, the guy who originally had it already took the boat to Navel Rock and caught Lugia and Ho-oh and took them with him. I did scrape some Sacred Ash off the ground, but other then exploring Navel Rock (which I've already done, twice), and looking at the ticket… Thats pretty much it! So yeah.

Thank you for your help though! :-D

Question: How does Stealth Rock work? Does it go away when you switch out? 'cause I used my newly-defossilized Tyrunt to lay a Stealth Rock when battling the Psychic just outside of Geosenge town, and when he switched his second Pokemon in (Sigylph), it wasn't damaged. Like, at all. It was as if I'd never laid the rocks. What gives?

Also, did anybody get their bonus Medals and Pokemiles on the PGL yet? Remember?
Announcing Bonuses for Existing PGL Players Who Play on the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y PGL - Pocketmonsters.Net

'cause I didn't get mine yet, and they said they were doling them out at the end of January / beginning of February.

They were added as a batch to everyone during the maintenance on January 28. Did you use the same account as with Gen V? Or, more importantly, did you actually meet the requirements to any of the awarded medals?

Yes and yes! I should've gotten the lowest of each of the three medals, and the lowest Pokemiles bonus. WTF? I really gotta complain to Support, you have no idea what I went through to get those Medals.

My question is: When I do get X or Y, which of the three starters is the hardest to start with? Which one will give me the most of a challenge?
Froakie is the fastest, but its defenses are a little weaker. Fennekin is mid-speed but despite the early physical moveset (Tackle, Flame Charge) is actually special-attack oriented (but pretty good at that, on par with Froakie's special attacks). Chespin is the slowest but physically strongest.

That being said, I echo what RiverAura said: Go to your game options and change the battle style from "shift" to "set" (multiplayer battles use 'set' style anyway) and when you get your Exp.Share (after the first Gym) TURN IT OFF. If you keep it on you will wind up with an overlevelled team (especially if you keep mostly the same team members instead of rotating new faces in/out) and battles will start to get seriously easy. There's no psychological challenge in going up against the evil team's boss or the League Champion when you're 5-10 levels higher than they are and can just brute-force your way through them. When you're underlevelled you HAVE to take strategic/tactical advantage with moves and types to win.

@Kantomasta: Starter choice has been irrelevant since Gen II. It only mattered in Gen I, where the first gym leader was Rock, and it was impossible to obtain wild Pokemon that were so much as normally effective against Rock, so unless you had Bulbasaur or Squirtle, you'd have to slowly chip away at Brock's Onyx.

Froakie is by far the most powerful new starter line. Delphox is competively useless and Chesnaught is decent, but far, far overshadowed by Greninja.

@Stratelier: I've been finding Gen VI the most challenging generation since the original. I'm currently stuck, unable to make it through Reflection Cave, and I was just barely able to get there from Geosenge in the first place (Sigylph is so cheap). I'm gonna have to backtrack and do some massive leveling before I continue on.

i know it doesnt make sense, but the thing that doesnt make sense to me is making me pay 5 dollars just to transfer my pokemon from gen v to gen vi... isnt that a little bit rude?? making you pay just to transfer your pokemon?

Nobody ever said it was your god-given right to upload Pokemon from previous generations. Five dollars a year is super-cheap for nigh-unlimited Pokemon storage that will continue to be used into future generations. Compare with Xbox Live, which is ~$60 a year (the full cost of a game every year). A Pokemon game is about $40. That's eight years of Pokebank.

Plus, note what whoever else said about the free month trial -- just use that to mass-upload your previous-gen Pokemon, then never pay.

Can I soft reset to get a different TM from the lady in Coumarine City? Not as in getting 2 in the same day. I mean, say I save in front of her and then talk to her. If she gives me a TM I don't want, can I soft reset and get a different one?

Pretty sure you can just go back to her every day and keep playing until you get all the TMs.

Missingno question

I caught a Missingno a few days ago. Will he do anything to my game other than glitch up my hall of fame, and scramble the graphics. Just today, while playing on Stadium 2 my Missingno was there and he turned into a Ditto Lv. 70 nicknamed Missingno. I have a few more Missingnos in the PC, but should I delete my save and start fresh before it's too late or keep my file? If I delete my save should I transfer the Pokemon I candied up to 100 via Missingno? I just really need to know because I want my Red to stay safe.

Question: How does Stealth Rock work? Does it go away when you switch out? 'cause I used my newly-defossilized Tyrunt to lay a Stealth Rock when battling the Psychic just outside of Geosenge town, and when he switched his second Pokemon in (Sigylph), it wasn't damaged. Like, at all. It was as if I'd never laid the rocks. What gives?
Two words: Magic Guard.

It probably has Magic Guard as its ability.

Also, did anybody get their bonus Medals and Pokemiles on the PGL yet? Remember?
Announcing Bonuses for Existing PGL Players Who Play on the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y PGL - Pocketmonsters.Net

'cause I didn't get mine yet, and they said they were doling them out at the end of January / beginning of February.

They were added as a batch to everyone during the maintenance on January 28. Did you use the same account as with Gen V? Or, more importantly, did you actually meet the requirements to any of the awarded medals?

Yes and yes! I should've gotten the lowest of each of the three medals, and the lowest Pokemiles bonus. WTF? I really gotta complain to Support, you have no idea what I went through to get those Medals.

That's very odd. Well, contacting them is your best bet anyway.

Some random questions that I guess don't really deserve their own threads:
1. If I'll breed a Flabébé, what determines the flower color of the baby?
2. Did they fix Azurill's gender change error? I tried to catch a bunch of Azurill and evolve them but quickly gave up... I'm too lazy lmao
3. Did they fix Nidorina and Nidoqueen being unable to breed?

2. Did they fix Azurill's gender change error? I tried to catch a bunch of Azurill and evolve them but quickly gave up... I'm too lazy lmao

1. Sorry, dunno
2. Azurill still has a different gender ratio than Marill, so one in three female Azurill will still evolve into a male Marill. This hasn't changed in gen VI.
3. Nidorina and Nidoqueen still can't breed. I caught a wild 4IV Nidoran(f) which I evolved twice before trying to breed her. That didn't work, unfortunately :/

1) I'm going to guess that it's based on the mother's flower.
2) From what I've heard, no
3) Also from hearsay only, no.

Thanks to both of you and... well, that sucks... since they did some changes like retype older pkmn as fairy and generally "refreshed" the series, you'd think they'll use the opportunity to fix other issues... and the Nidorina/Nidoqueen and Azurill issues are some of the most ridiculous ones (at least for me) and I just can't see any reason for them not to fix it...
I also have issues with their choices for some pkmn's gender or typing which I think should've been changed as well... there are at least a few more older pkmn that should've gained the fairy type (Meloetta for example, and Celebi deserved at least a grass/fairy mega if they didn't want to give up its psychic type) and there are a few "genderless" (which apparently is officially referred to as "unknown gender" based on both Pokémon Bank and the anime's Decolore Rotom ep) pkmn that really should've been female-only (the obviously female Meloetta) or male-only (the PRINCE of the sea Manaphy)
But I guess I'm getting off topic with this... anyway, still wondering if anyone got a sure answer about the Flabébé question (I guess I could try it myself but too lazy right now and I'm just curious)

You should really try this out. The answers given on this thread conflict for example with the bit of information added to the Poké Transporter page on Bulbapedia, according to which transferred genderswap Azurill would not switch genders upon evolution anymore, and it wouldn't make sense for the game to handle a Pokémon differently like that just because it came from another game. That information was added by SnorlaxMonster and thus I believe it to be accurate.

Last edited:

Do Power items take their effect if the EXP Share is on and the Pokémon holding it doesn't battle?

For example, I have a Pichu who I want to train for physical attacks. She's holding a Power Band. If I send out my Hitmonchan and only my Hitmonchan against an Audino, will she (the Pichu) gain 2 HP EVs or 2 HP EVs and 4 Attack EVs because of the Power Band?

Well the Azurill thing doesn't necessarily NEED to be fixed - some creatures do change gender in real life. And in the very least, I think Nidorina should be allowed to breed, perhaps not nidoqueen.

Do Power items take their effect if the EXP Share is on and the Pokémon holding it doesn't battle?

For example, I have a Pichu who I want to train for physical attacks. She's holding a Power Band. If I send out my Hitmonchan and only my Hitmonchan against an Audino, will she (the Pichu) gain 2 HP EVs or 2 HP EVs and 4 Attack EVs because of the Power Band?

First, Power Band gives Special Defense, not Attack. You'll need the Power Bracer.

Second, she will be able to get EVs from the power item and from the battle as long as she gets XP.

Well the Azurill thing doesn't necessarily NEED to be fixed - some creatures do change gender in real life.

I know, but since it is not officially talked about or even hinted about ANYWHERE in the games or any official pkmn thing, it is obviously a mistake and not something intended... therefore, I do think it should get fixed... and they had the perfect chance now when they already messed with the Azurill line making them fairy... sigh

And in the very least, I think Nidorina should be allowed to breed, perhaps not nidoqueen.

Both should be able to breed, it is perhaps the most ridiculous thing ever in the pkmn games... Nidorina and Nidoqueen exist exactly in order to be the female counterparts and breeding partners of Nidorino and Nidoking... I am so confused over why this even happen and how the hell it never occured to them to fix it so far...

Both should be able to breed, it is perhaps the most ridiculous thing ever in the pkmn games... Nidorina and Nidoqueen exist exactly in order to be the female counterparts and breeding partners of Nidorino and Nidoking... I am so confused over why this even happen and how the hell it never occured to them to fix it so far...

I know what you mean but judging by Nidoqueen's appearance I'd say as a mammallian life form she's probably gone past menopause, as opposed to the more young-adult-like Nidorina.

If I transfer a pokemon hatched in Black to X, will it be able to learn gen VI moves? (ex: Joltik and sticky web)

Thanks

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom