• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

Question: How does Stealth Rock work? Does it go away when you switch out? 'cause I used my newly-defossilized Tyrunt to lay a Stealth Rock when battling the Psychic just outside of Geosenge town, and when he switched his second Pokemon in (Sigylph), it wasn't damaged. Like, at all. It was as if I'd never laid the rocks. What gives?
Two words: Magic Guard.

Fffff--!! That move is way overpowered, especially on such an already-overpowered Pokemon. Man I hate Sigilyph! They're almost worse than Juan's Kingdra or Whitney's Miltank :mad:

Both should be able to breed, it is perhaps the most ridiculous thing ever in the pkmn games... Nidorina and Nidoqueen exist exactly in order to be the female counterparts and breeding partners of Nidorino and Nidoking... I am so confused over why this even happen and how the hell it never occured to them to fix it so far...

I know what you mean but judging by Nidoqueen's appearance I'd say as a mammallian life form she's probably gone past menopause, as opposed to the more young-adult-like Nidorina.

Preeetty sure Game Freak isn't taking into account Poke-menopause when they make their gaming decisions.

Preeetty sure Game Freak isn't taking into account Poke-menopause when they make their gaming decisions.

True, but I do wonder what the hell brought them to make that decision if it somehow was actually intentional, or why did they never fix it since breeding dubuted way back in GS and to this day assuming it is a mistake...
Sigh, I wish there was a way to directly ask them about these things so we could at least hear some official opinions/explanations about these issues

Question: How does Stealth Rock work? Does it go away when you switch out? 'cause I used my newly-defossilized Tyrunt to lay a Stealth Rock when battling the Psychic just outside of Geosenge town, and when he switched his second Pokemon in (Sigylph), it wasn't damaged. Like, at all. It was as if I'd never laid the rocks. What gives?

Fffff--!! That move is way overpowered, especially on such an already-overpowered Pokemon. Man I hate Sigilyph! They're almost worse than Juan's Kingdra or Whitney's Miltank :mad:
It's not a move, it's an ability. And it's not OP, Stealth Rock is OP.

How do I start the Looker post game thing?

You must battle your rival in Kiloude. To trigger it, you must win at least one battle in the Battle Maison. After beating your rival, he/she will tell you about Sycamore examining the Sundial in Anistar. Go there and talk with Sycamore to upgrade the Mega Ring. After these tasks, the next time you fly to Lumiose, you'll get the call from Looker to begin the sidequest.

Hi, New to the forums. I am sure there is a place to trade FC's and collect Fried Safaris could someone direct me to that thread. Thx. I'm not having any luck finding it and I am a little overwhelmed by everything here.

You must battle your rival in Kiloude. To trigger it, you must win at least one battle in the Battle Maison. After beating your rival, he/she will tell you about Sycamore examining the Sundial in Anistar. Go there and talk with Sycamore to upgrade the Mega Ring. After these tasks, the next time you fly to Lumiose, you'll get the call from Looker to begin the sidequest.

I've already beaten three of the Chatelines, so would I need to do another random fight in there or would just beating the rival suffice?

I've already beaten three of the Chatelines, so would I need to do another random fight in there or would just beating the rival suffice?

Just beating your rival will work.

Dom

True, but I do wonder what the hell brought them to make that decision if it somehow was actually intentional, or why did they never fix it since breeding dubuted way back in GS and to this day assuming it is a mistake...
Sigh, I wish there was a way to directly ask them about these things so we could at least hear some official opinions/explanations about these issues

I actually like little quirks like this. It makes the game more interesting. Since it doesn't actually cause any harm (only a "fffffuuu--!" moment if you REALLY want a Marill/Azumarill of a specific gender), I'd rather they left it alone.

It's not a move, it's an ability. And it's not OP, Stealth Rock is OP.

Yeah, I meant Ability. Stealth Rock isn't overpowered by a long shot; the only people who complain about it are people who used to run Flying-heavy teams and Charizard fanboys whose favorite picks are susceptible.

Stealth Rock is especially not overpowered in Gen VI with the Defog buff.

So I got the 5 Looker things. When will he call me to do stuff?

So I got the 5 Looker things. When will he call me to do stuff?

After you return to him and report, yes. I don't recall how often he calls on you though.

He will recall you basically as soon as you leave his office again. You might have to go elsewhere in Lumiose first to trigger the call, but he's ready as soon as you complete the previous task.

Yeah, I meant Ability. Stealth Rock isn't overpowered by a long shot; the only people who complain about it are people who used to run Flying-heavy teams and Charizard fanboys whose favorite picks are susceptible.

But how are you going to swap in a Flying type to actually do the Defog? I get that Stealth Rock is meant to be an entry hazard that works on Flying types, but the fact that against them it does the equivalent of 3 Spikes in damage (in just one move) -- not to mention how it completely wrecks anything with a double Rock weakness -- just feels unfair. (And for the record, I generally only keep one Flying-type on my team at a time. I do like the type in general, but I know having a balanced team is more important.)

Last edited:

Is there a Team builder thread? I want some advice on a team I am building for online/battle mansion.

But how are you going to swap in a Flying type to actually do the Defog? I get that Stealth Rock is meant to be an entry hazard that works on Flying types, but the fact that against them it does the equivalent of 3 Spikes in damage (in just one move) -- not to mention how it completely wrecks anything with a double Rock weakness -- just feels unfair. (And for the record, I generally only keep one Flying-type on my team at a time. I do like the type in general, but I know having a balanced team is more important.)

Having watched countless competitive videos on YouTube, I've never seen Stealth Rock as problematic, and if it were game-alteringly problematic, Smogon would've banned it by now. The only reason to ban anything is if it's centralizing. Mega Kanghaskahn, for example, was banned because it was demonstrated that it could basically single-handedly sweep any team no matter what, except for one or two ultra-specificly built Pokemon. In other words, if MegaKang was allowed in OU, every team would have to be built specifically to counter it, otherwise that team would get sweeped.

Stealth Rock is simply not centralizing; there's plenty of teams you can build for which Stealth Rock is nothing but a minor annoyance; you don't have to build every team you make a certain way in order to deal with Stealth Rock, therefore it's not broken, therefore there's no need to ban.

Is there a Team builder thread? I want some advice on a team I am building for online/battle mansion.

There's this "Complete My Team" thread, otherwise just make a new topic in the Battle Center subforum.

Last edited:

For online battling, it might be best to take a look at this section:Bulbagarden Battle Center

and Battle Maison, post here since it's in game:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/game-team-advice-thread-38102/

also guys a mod note: This is not meant to be a discussion thread. If you want to discuss Stealth Rock's affect on competitive battling, please go to the Battle Center as this is mainly just for game help questions.

Concerning pokemon bank, the only real reason I would want to get it is to transfer my Black 2 pokemon to Y, and I can do that within the free time limit, but would I have to keep it running and pay the annual fee to do so if I got it at all, or would I be able to 'deactivate' it after using the transfer, and not have to pay?

If I use a power item and destiny knot when breeding does the power item stat get transferred along with a number of ivs from the destiny knot?

Concerning pokemon bank, the only real reason I would want to get it is to transfer my Black 2 pokemon to Y, and I can do that within the free time limit, but would I have to keep it running and pay the annual fee to do so if I got it at all, or would I be able to 'deactivate' it after using the transfer, and not have to pay?

I believe so, what you do is "buy" a pass for the free trial via the eShop(it's free but its similar to buying an something there) and it's for 30 days. Bank will tell you how many days are left on your pass. After it expires, you'd have to pay the $5 to keep using it. If you dont want to, you will have to withdraw your Pokemon on it and I believe to deactivate Bank you might have to just not use it after that or delete the app. Im not sure if there's any other way to do this.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom