• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XYS01: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act I~

Status
Not open for further replies.
A special focusing on Mega Evolution is nice, I hope the animation is good for the mega evolutions that they look really cool. I bet this special will be similar to the one we had last year, being a prequel to the Genesect movie to advertise it.

Here's a picture of it:

tumblr_n18e6u404I1qfyz1jo2_500.jpg

I wonder if it will actually be a tournament... It would be cool if some old characters who aren't just travelling companions competed in it.

Last edited:
I don't see the appeal of a special with nothing but battles, and that's the current impression from the way they're promoting this. I doubt that there is going to be a point to Mewtwo's inclusion. Maybe a third Mewtwo just wants to organize a tournament to see which Mega Evolution is worthy of challenging it or something.

I bet this special will be similar to the one we had last year, being a prequel to the Genesect movie to advertise it.
They haven't actually said anything about Mega Evolution being featured in the movie; the plot summary only alludes to the Kalos legendaries, and the preliminary poster has been removed from the website. That poster could have just been an awkward way of hinting at this unrelated special; stranger things have happened (like Mewtwo appearing in a Movie 3 trailer, which ended up foreshadowing Mewtwo Returns).

Judging from the "Act I" wording, there will be another special dealing with the Mega Evolution battle. There is little reason for the movie to be related to this saga, and we'd probably already know about it if that were the case.

Related to this? I remember this being there although when it was revealed it was said there was no such an episode scheduled. Possibly this was just a very early leak?

Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

Hm, when comparing it to the image Human posted, the battlefield seems to be vastly different compared to this. The battlefield with Mega Charizard X and Mega Blastoise seems to made out of rock and have water surrounding it.

They haven't actually said anything about Mega Evolution being featured in the movie; the plot summary only alludes to the Kalos legendaries, and the preliminary poster has been removed from the website. That poster could have just been an awkward way of hinting at this unrelated special; stranger things have happened (like Mewtwo appearing in a Movie 3 trailer, which ended up foreshadowing Mewtwo Returns).

Judging from the "Act I" wording, there will be another special dealing with the Mega Evolution battle. There is little reason for the movie to be related to this saga, and we'd probably already know about it if that were the case.

Yeah that does make more sense... It's still so strange that they're making it, but maybe it might lead to something, or it's just plain advertisement. It could also be related to what TvTokyo said about airing more special anime episodes like Origins in 2014. The Act I in the title is similar to the "File 1" that was in the title of the first Origins episode too.

Related to this? I remember this being there although when it was revealed it was said there was no such an episode scheduled. Possibly this was just a very early leak?

Actually it turns out that it wasn't hinting to any episode, but a little comic made for fun just like the one where Ash's Pokemon in Unova found a bunch of sunglasses and wore them. The battlefield is different too, so it's not the same stadium.

Hm, when comparing it to the image Human posted, the battlefield seems to be vastly different compared to this. The battlefield with Mega Charizard X and Mega Blastoise seems to made out of rock and have water surrounding it.
That's true. Although do notice that in the pic I posted the battlefield is very undetailed, so you can't really tell if it's different. And it was never specified what the earlier was from, and it just seems more than a coincidence that this earlier scan shows some sort of tournament with Mega Blaziken, and now this new scan also shows some sort of tournament with other Mega Pokémon.

Actually it turns out that it wasn't hinting to any episode, but a little comic made for fun just like the one where Ash's Pokemon in Unova found a bunch of sunglasses and wore them. The battlefield is different too, so it's not the same stadium.
EDIT Never mind, thanks for the clarifcation.

Last edited:
A special for nothing but battles between Mega Pokémon?

Count me in. We haven't seen some truly epic battles in a long while and a clash between Mega Evolutions is just what I need to remind me of how good battles can really be in this anime. Now, I hope the animation is good and that the battles aren't too short.

Mega Latias and Latios might appear in Act II; there could be a double battle between those two and the Mega Mewtwo variations. At least it would be mildly more interesting than the Mewtwo battling each other or non-legendary Mega Evolutions.

Mega Latias and Latios might appear in Act II; there could be a double battle between those two and the Mega Mewtwo variations. At least it would be mildly more interesting than the Mewtwo battling each other or non-legendary Mega Evolutions.

Mega Latis appearing would be a great idea because it would be HOENN CONFIRMED

Is this a regular episode? Serebii is putting it as such.

But if this is a special, I'm ready, one of the things I like the most about XY games is mega-evolutions.

I was confused at first about wether this is a regular ep or not... it does seem to air between unrelated regular eps while titled as "Act I"... if that means it is a separate thing, I wonder if Ash will even appear in this... at first I almost thought for a moment maybe Charizard/Blastoise will be a battle of Ash VS Gary, but that's probably unlikely... (seems too early for a Charizard return even if Ash is in this)
I guess this might be separate from Ash's story (while still probably in the same world, maybe even tying into the show and/or the movie eventually?) and in that case, I wonder which XY and/or older characters might appear here...
Also very curious about Mewtwo's role - it appeared both on the movie poster and the poster for this (and this one seems much more specific than the movie poster that showes many pkmn) so I believe it's going to appear here somehow (please be the original one, and at least not a third one...)

(please be the original one, and at least not a third one...)
I don't think I even want the original Mewtwo to appear in a special that doesn't seem to have a plot to speak of. It should be way past the "I want to prove my strength" phase.

If we check the title, The Strongest Mega Evolution, it feels like there are to be a contest. They will decide the strongest Mega Evo. The questions is if human characters will appear and what role Mewtwo will have. It would be kind of boring to have a tournament where Mewtwo is included since he would defeat everyone. But if they have Charizard he will be just as unstoppable. The writers always overuse and overpower Charizard. Luckily it is not a Mega Pikachu anyway...

If it was up to smogon then mega kangaskhan pwns all.

I personally want Charizard X or Garchomp to take home the gold.

(please be the original one, and at least not a third one...)
I don't think I even want the original Mewtwo to appear in a special that doesn't seem to have a plot to speak of. It should be way past the "I want to prove my strength" phase.

Well, it could have some plot parts between battles, especially if this is going to get more than one episode (as suggested by the "Act I")
We really don't know enough to judge this yet... anyway I mostly hope this is not a third Mewtwo...
Hopefully we get more details soon

Why are you guys letting your hopes up again when we all know that, knowing the writers, the battles will either end in a tie or a cliffhanger?

Most official/important battles (and the way this is advertised, I'd say this counts as such) do have proper conclusions... so I really don't know what you're talking about... it may be rushed or whatever but a conclusion will most likely be there for each battle shown (I do wonder about the length of this, but apparently it'll be a normal ep's length? since they didn't label it as a "1 hour special" like they did for the Iris/Serena eps)

Why are you guys letting your hopes up again when we all know that, knowing the writers, the battles will either end in a tie or a cliffhanger?

Most official/important battles (and the way this is advertised, I'd say this counts as such) do have proper conclusions... so I really don't know what you're talking about... it may be rushed or whatever but a conclusion will most likely be there for each battle shown (I do wonder about the length of this, but apparently it'll be a normal ep's length? since they didn't label it as a "1 hour special" like they did for the Iris/Serena eps)
First of all, you say that most important battles end in conclusions. Well, this is only part 1 of the special, so it would be silly to end all of the battles right here and now. Also, we barely know anything about the special. It could be about all of the Mega Evolutions beating each other up in a free-for-all, ala Mewtwo Strikes Back with the clones fighting each other, or a ton of Mega Pokemon could battle each other for 5 minutes and dedicate the rest of the episode to the Mega Charizard X vs. Mega Blastoise battle. We just don't know right now. Also, it will most likely be rushed, because as you said, it's not an hour length special. I'm not expecting a ton from this episode right now, and honestly, I don't think anyone should since we have a severe lack of info about it. We don't want to hype up another Unova League type of arc, assuming it turns out like that (or not). I really want this to turn out well, and it most likely will, but I don't expect excellent writing or a good conclusion from this one part alone.

TL;DR
Don't hype up something that we barely know about, because the result could either end up disappointing or satisfying.

If you already follow the meta game you should already know by now its Mega Kangiskhan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom