• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Diancie

TerraTF

Is Not A Moderator
Reaction score
Diancie. The very first Event Legend we'll be getting this generation. Now event Legendaries in the past have either gone straight to Ubers or sat in UU. The highest one has ever made it was OU, that being Jirachi. But for every Jirachi we still get a Celebi and a Mew and occationally a Manaphy who becomes alright later on.

Unfortunately Diancie is not a Jirachi or even a Manaphy. Not yet anyway. For now Diancie is going to be one of those Pokemon sitting around UU with Mew and Celebi. But why?

One glaring weakness? Diancie has a nasty 4x weakness to Steel. Other common weaknesses, being Water and Ground, give it a 2x weakness. Its 4th weakness, the less common Grass type. Diancie also has a fairly shallow movepool and stats similar to Carbink but not enough to even be considered above BL.

Diancie
Weakness: 2x - Water, Grass, Ground 4x - Steel
Stats: 50 HP / 100 Atk / 150 Def / 100 SpA / 150 SpD / 50 Spe
Notable moves: Diamond Storm, Moonblast, Gyro Ball, Reflect, Light Screen, Trick Room, Rest and Sleep Talk

Diamond Storm - Probably one of the best Rock type moves in the game. 100 Power with 95 Accuracy. Also has a 50% chance to raise Diancie's Defense. Raising Diancie's defense +1 every other turn could help with its weakness to Steel and Ground but its not trustworthy enough.

Moonblast - The best released Fairy type move in the game. 95 Power with 100 Accuracy. Also has a 30% chance to lower the opponents Special Attack by a stage. Side effect doesn't help much due to its main weaknesses coming from the physical side of the spectrum.

Gyro Ball - Due to Diancie's Base 50 Speed, this may be one of Diancie's best moves. Best used in combination with Trick Room and a 0 Speed IV. Gyro Ball has varying power and hits 100% of the time.

Light Screen and Reflect - Just going to cover this at the same time. Both barrier type moves will raise the parties Special Defense and Defense respectively by basically 1 stage for 5 turns, 8 if holding a Light Clay.

Trick Room - The one move that Diancie should run if going for maximum attacking potential. Reverses the effects of Speed for 5 turns. As mentioned with the Gyro Ball description above, Trick Room doesn't effect Gyro Ball, therefore Gyro Ball will have the same power with or without Trick Room.

Rest and Sleep Talk - More of a gimmicky set, but given Diancie's slim attacking movepool, the ResTalk set may be one of the more rare sets on Diancie.

Now onto the sets. Diancie really only has 3 sets that it would run, each with a different usage.

Tricky Storm of Balls
Diancie @ Leftovers
Sassy / Relaxed / Brave
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
0 Spd IVs
-Trick Room
-Diamond Storm
-Moonblast
-Gyro Ball

Trick Room is the center of this set. Due to Diancie having the lowest Speed investment, hitting a total of 49 Speed at level 50 and 94 Speed at level 100. Diamond Storm / Moonblast / Gyro Ball all hit extremely hard, but with Gyro Ball and Diamond Storm hitting the hardest due to the Attack investment. Unfortunately Diancie has nothing to combat its weaknesses to Steel. This set is best used in Doubles with a partner such as Reuniclus or Druddigon.

Walls of Kind of Protection
Diancie @ Light Clay
Sassy
4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Diamond Storm
-Moonblast

The poor players Espeon. Or really anything else that can set up Screens. Diamond Storm and Moonblast for STAB usage. Like I said, there are better Pokemon for this. Even in UU.

ResTalk
Diancie @ Leftovers
Brave
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Diamond Storm
-Moonblast / Gyro Ball

Like normal ResTalk sets this probably won't work out too well and Diancie would be gone in a turn or two. Don't even use this set.

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Quiet/Naive
244 HP/44 Def/220 SpA (Trick Room)
160 Atk/160 SpA/184 Speed (Rock Polish)
~Diamond Storm
~Moonblast
~Hidden Power Ground/Hidden Power Fire
~Rock Polish/Trick Room

Well clearly for now Diancie will rot in lower tiers. It has one decent set and one half decent set. A strong lack of recovery options really hurt Diancie. Hopefully once the next game in Gen 6 comes out Diancie should get some decent moves like Recover. Otherwise there are better Pokemon to use than Diancie. Maybe if you're playing a UU match, but there's still better stuff than Diancie in UU.

Last edited:
Gyro Ball is terrible. Why would you even use that. Diancie's best set will most likely be

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Clear Body
Quiet/Naive
244 HP/44 Def/220 SpA (Trick Room)
160 Atk/160 SpA/184 Speed (Rock Polish)
~Diamond Storm
~Moonblast
~Hidden Power Ground/Hidden Power Fire
~Rock Polish/Trick Room

Ground + Fairy + Rock gets perfect neutral type coverage besides Bronzong. HP Fire is an alternative to nail Scizor and Ferrothorn 4x SE. Although I wouldn't recommend it as it leaves you walled by Steels, Psychic can be used to give you something meatier than 60 BP to hit Poisons with.

Here are the other sets that are usable (c/p from Smogon):
Physically Defensive
#########
Move 1: Diamond Storm
Move 2: Moonblast
Move 3: Toxic
Move 4: Stealth Rock / Protect
Ability: Clear Body
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Assault Vest
#########
Move 1: Diamond Storm
Move 2: Moonblast
Move 3: Psychic
Move 4: Explosion/Hidden Power [Fire]/[Ice]
Item: Assault Vest
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD*

*EVs prevent Timid Charizard-Y from being able to score a 2HKO with SolarBeam after Stealth Rock.

Croancie
#########
Move 1: Calm Mind
Move 2: Rest
Move 3: Sleep Talk
Move 4: Moonblast
Nature: Bold

Dual Screens
#########
Move 1: Reflect
Move 2: Light Screen
Move 3: Diamond Storm/Moonblast
Move 4: Explosion/Toxic
Item: Light Clay
Nature: Impish/Bold

Trick Room Support
#########
Move 1: Trick Room
Move 2: Diamond Storm
Move 3: Moonblast
Move 4: Stealth Rock/Explosion/Toxic
Nature: Relaxed
IVs: 0 Speed

I predict OU usage with a home in mid-high UU.

Also, BTW, Jirachi is UU and Manaphy is BL, so you've got some misinformation in the OP. No 100/100/100/100/100/100 legend is OU.

E: Also, your first set is terribad besides using Gyro Ball because you maxed Def before HP. First off, ALWAYS max HP first. Second, it is even more important on a Pokémon with larger Defensive than HP stats, like Diancie. It's called 'law of diminishing returns' or, d'don't put all your eggs in one basket'. Diancie's physical bulk rating goes from 102448 all the way down to 96558 if you use your spread as opposed to 252/4. Ofc, the Special bulk difference is more dramatic, going from 102144 to 81312. Your spread takes physical hits only 94.8% as well as the other spread and takes Special hits only 79.6% as well. Bad form, mate.

Last edited:
Also, BTW, Jirachi is UU and Manaphy is BL, so you've got some misinformation in the OP. No 100/100/100/100/100/100 legend is OU.

I went off of the latest Gen 5. Jirachi was OU as of the end of Gen 5. I meant as in the highest an Event Legend has ever went besides Ubers.

Most of the Smogon sets are similar to the ones that I posted. I'll be adding the Weakness Policy set you provided in case people want to SR for Hidden Power, which I see as a waste of time.

I went off of the latest Gen 5. Jirachi was OU as of the end of Gen 5. I meant as in the highest an Event Legend has ever went besides Ubers.

Most of the Smogon sets are similar to the ones that I posted. I'll be adding the Weakness Policy set you provided in case people want to SR for Hidden Power, which I see as a waste of time.

Except for the part where their defensive EV spreads aren't stupid. See my edit for why, the same principle I explained using your first set applies to the other ones you posted also. ALWAYS max HP before either Defense, unless there is a specific optimization number you're shooting for.

Except for the part where their defensive EV spreads aren't stupid. See my edit for why, the same principle I explained using your first set applies to the other ones you posted also. ALWAYS max HP before either Defense, unless there is a specific optimization number you're shooting for.

Why give HP a boost of 63 stat points when it won't have the bulk to survive a hit. The defensive boosts are to help it take hits when it comes to it.

Plus saying that Gyro Ball is terrible on Diancie is a dumb statement considering its its third best move.

Why give HP a boost of 63 stat points when it won't have the bulk to survive a hit. The defensive boosts are to help it take hits when it comes to it.

Plus saying that Gyro Ball is terrible on Diancie is a dumb statement considering its its third best move.

I literally just showed you mathematically that your Diancie is only 94.8% as bulky as mine physically and 79.6% as bulky specially. :/

252+ Atk Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Diancie: 208-252 (68.4 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Diancie: 180-216 (74.3 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You take like 6-7% more damage every time with that EV spread.

Gyro ball is terrible because a) a lot of slow stuff like Conkeldurr, Azumarill, Crawdaunt, etc is used regulary in OU and b) every Steel type ever walls you to bits if you run Gyro Ball and calling it Diancie's third best move is blatant lies

I literally just showed you mathematically that your Diancie is only 94.8% as bulky as mine physically and 79.6% as bulky specially. :/

252+ Atk Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Diancie: 208-252 (68.4 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Diancie: 180-216 (74.3 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gyro ball is terrible because a) a lot of slow stuff like Conkeldurr, Azumarill, Crawdaunt, etc is used regulary in OU and b) every Steel type ever walls you to bits if you run Gyro Ball and calling it Diancie's third best move is blatant lies

I wrote the analysis based on the fact that Diancie will rot in UU until it gets a reliable recovery move. Until it gets Recover it'll always be inferior to many, many other Pokemon.

I wrote the analysis based on the fact that Diancie will rot in UU until it gets a reliable recovery move. Until it gets Recover it'll always be inferior to many, many other Pokemon.

Guess what? Metagross is UU. Even there, your spread still sucks. Also there are very few Pokémon that can fill the same niche as Weakness Policy Diancie, just FYI, and it works well as a Charizard check due to its bulk letting it not be OHKOed by Solar Beam/Earthquake like most Rock types.

As someone who does pokemon analysis threads regularly I have to ask one question. Who would you show a set and proceed to discourage your readers from using it? You do realize you defeated the entire point of even bringing up a rest talk set by saying it was usesless.

As someone who does pokemon analysis threads regularly I have to ask one question. Who would you show a set and proceed to discourage your readers from using it? You do realize you defeated the entire point of even bringing up a rest talk set by saying it was usesless.

Its an option. Like most ResTalk sets its best not to use them.

I agree in the since that Diancie doesn't have the bulk to pull off a rest talk set, but I would think that would be obvious. Definently not worth a mention. XD

You didn't really answer my question. I asked you why you'd waste your time typing out a set that you deemed best not to use. I agree in the since that Diancie doesn't have the bulk to pull off a rest talk set, but I would think that would be obvious. Definently not worth a mention. XD

I mentioned it due to Diancie's shallow movepool. Lots of Pokemon have that unusual set only 2-3% run

You didn't really answer my question. I asked you why you'd waste your time typing out a set that you deemed best not to use. I agree in the since that Diancie doesn't have the bulk to pull off a rest talk set, but I would think that would be obvious. Definently not worth a mention. XD

I mentioned it due to Diancie's shallow movepool. Lots of Pokemon have that unusual set only 2-3% run

Than wouldn't a combination of rock polish plus hp fire or ice be better and not potentially guarantee your diancie get slaughtered. Hidden power fire is universally better covering three of Diancie's weaknesses while rock polish boosts Diancie's abizmal speed. Even giving diancie trick room is more worth mentioning.

Than wouldn't a combination of rock polish plus hp fire or ice be better and not potentially guarantee your diancie get slaughtered. Hidden power fire is universally better covering three of Diancie's weaknesses while rock polish boosts Diancie's abizmal speed. Even giving diancie trick room is more worth mentioning.

Trick Room is the main focus of the first set I posted. I believe I called it Tricky Storm of Balls. For the Rock Polish / HP Fire I added the one set GB mentioned.

Trick Room is the main focus of the first set I posted. I believe I called it Tricky Storm of Balls. For the Rock Polish / HP Fire I added the one set GB mentioned.

You really oughta just replace the ones in the OP with the Smogon sets I provided... Yours are frankly outclassed and unoptimized. You really also need to remove the mention of Gyro Ball as one of Diancie's best moves. If you really disagree with me:

252+ Atk Diancie Gyro Ball (49 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 136-160 (37.7 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Diancie Gyro Ball (75 BP) vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 164-194 (40.5 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Diancie Gyro Ball (116 BP) vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 262-310 (71.9 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Diancie Gyro Ball (22 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Abomasnow: 44-52 (13.6 - 16.1%) -- possible 7HKO

252+ Atk Diancie Gyro Ball (75 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 214-252 (76.9 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Diancie Gyro Ball (96 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Whimsicott: 220-260 (68.1 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Diancie Gyro Ball (54 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 110-130 (28.6 - 33.8%) -- 96.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Diancie Gyro Ball (30 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 36-43 (8.2 - 9.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252+ Atk Diancie Gyro Ball (64 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 146-172 (47.7 - 56.2%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Diancie Gyro Ball (24 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 22-28 (5.5 - 7.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252+ Atk Diancie Gyro Ball (64 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 112-132 (36.6 - 43.1%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers

Brave 252 Atk 0 Spe 0 Spe IV Diance Gyro Ball fails to OHKO a single Rock, Ice, or Fairy Pokémon that is commonly used in UU.

As with all unreleased pokemon we don't lnow any final details for this pokemon.

It might be the standard moveset but given that was hacked Nintendo might change it up and give it some unique moves.

Last edited:
It might be the standard moveset but given that was hacked Nintendo might change it up and give it some unique moves.

I don't see them changing Diancie's entire moveset as its already on the card. They might give Diancie a special move for its release with the movie like a lot of Movie Events.

As with all unreleased pokemon we don't lnow any final details for this pokemon.

It has the same move set as a Carbink only that at lv 50 it learns diamond storm.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom