• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Random Messages Episode X

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to teach Russian pronunciation would be through the IPA. Russian sounds really do not mix with Latin script
That's actually brilliant. I wish my teacher would have done that. :U Let's ignore the fact that I learned the Cyrillic alphabet the summer before I took the class.

Does it help with sounds that are formed in sequences of letters? (I really don't know, as I have never learned Russian pronunciation that way, and in my studies of all of English, French and Swedish sounds were coming before the letter combinations)
Huh? I don't really know. I taught myself the sounds and the letters by looking at a chart that compared the sounds of both languages. ^_^;

While we're on the subject, my Russian studies made me realize how difficult learning English must be for non-English speakers. @_@

The best way to teach Russian pronunciation would be through the IPA. Russian sounds really do not mix with Latin script
That's actually brilliant. I wish my teacher would have done that. :U Let's ignore the fact that I learned the Cyrillic alphabet the summer before I took the class.

Does it help with sounds that are formed in sequences of letters? (I really don't know, as I have never learned Russian pronunciation that way, and in my studies of all of English, French and Swedish sounds were coming before the letter combinations)
Huh? I don't really know. I taught myself the sounds and the letters by looking at a chart that compared the sounds of both languages. ^_^;

While we're on the subject, my Russian studies made me realize how difficult learning English must be for non-English speakers. @_@

The difficulty actually varies depending on the native language and age of the learner. It's one thing to learn English for someone whose native language is Dutch pr Swedish, and a completely different thing to do so forsomeone who is speaking Russian or Japanese. The difference in the structure is drastic. This is why when you hear Russians speaking English, you will not usually hear decent grammar with only occasional mistakes, like mine, but you will rather hear people speak Russian with English words.

And age is obvious

Aww... XD I would gladly trade accents, Lyosha.

Russian vodka is where its at.

Vodka? What vodka? We're talking phonetics here! I don't even drink (I quit when I was 18)
I haven't started drinking. The legal drinking age is very high here. XD

Just gotta wait three years, but honestly, I probably won't drink much when the time comes.

Hon hon
Baguettes cigarettes

I'm fond of European accents in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom