• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

• A third game, like Gens 1-4

Votes: 124 51.9%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

Votes: 36 15.1%

• Total voters
I´m not sure whether XY´s code has been already hacked/ripped, but if Diancie is not in the original XY code, then we already have proof that we'll be getting Kalos/National Pokédex expansions within the generation via patches and expansion packs.
Diancie is in the code. A hacker discovered it back in early November, along with two other Pokémon that you may not know about.

Actually I knew about Hoopa, Volcanion and the Mega Lati@s, but Diancie I don't remember to be on that leak; also, as far as I remember, that leak came from glitching, not from ripping the code, so there is still the probability of more hidden Pokémon within the code. But if Diancie was already leaked, oh well. I still hope there are more Pokédex expansions via DLC, even if unlikely.

Anyways, thanks for the info.

I don't know if it is already mentioned here: after the x- and y-axis comes the z-axis, which indicates depth. Considering these are the first games on the 3DS it would be a pretty logical explanation.

I hope, in the game itself, there will be a new (smaller) region based on the UK. Why? Couriway Station. I personally think and hope it is a reference to the Channel tunnel train. I know the real one is on the westside of France, but I would love it if its true. It could have the same function as the Goldenrod/Saffron Train.

Hopefully we get a better made game with more content. I think GF really phoned it in on this installment. I would kind of like to see X2 Y2

Hopefully we get a better made game with more content. I think GF really phoned it in on this installment. I would kind of like to see X2 Y2
What changes would you like to see in a sequel? I actually thought X and Y were relatively solid installments for the franchise.

What changes would you like to see in a sequel? I actually thought X and Y were relatively solid installments for the franchise.
Well the game was rushed both development wise, and I think that effected it overall. Anyways it has several bugs, some of which seem to be related to rushing its development, thus causing sloppy coding. I mean bugs and Pokémon go hand in hand, but some of these bugs seem like they could have been avoided had the games not been rushed. Truthfully, I think it was a little bit of a smack in the faces of B2W2 player who only had the games for a year before the next gen games came out, and all the features for B2W2 began circling the drain and being shut down. like putting Pokémon asleep, a big mechanic for the games, DOA after only a year. If XY had the benefit of an extra year of development, or so, it would have been better for both the Gen V and Gen VI games.

Granted that XY helped keep Nintendo 3DS Sales up and increased them, and if not for the games Nintendo would have likely had to cut their sales forecast even deeper than they did, I still think a little more time should have been allowed.

But anyways, the games were pretty easy. I beat it in 9 days, it would have been less time had I not been breeding Torchic for the "Three french hens" day of Christmas. When BulbaTrade was sending out Torchic, so was I.

The Looker Arc was good, but the pacing sucked. Every time I stepped out of his Office, I got assaulted by another Holo Caster message sending me on the next mission. There is a thread on the board called Your "FUUUUU" moments :D everytime that Looker contacted my Holo caster, that was my "FUUUUU" moment. So annoying. They should have made the Looker Arc a Game long side quest, not a post game back-to-back quest.

Plus I didn't even know Malva was part of Team Flare until the Looker Arc. I mean when I first met Malva at the E4 building, I thought she was just an arrogant stuck up b**** for no reason. I didn't know she held any animosity for me over beating Team Flare. Meeting her outside of the E4, or at least finding out she was a Team Flare member through some method would have been a nice thing to know beforehand. This shows that the story telling for the game was a little weaker than it should have been.

All in all the post game stuff is so weak. off the top of my head, I can think of 3 big things that happen post game. A old man dies in Anistar City, You get the Looker Arc and you get access to Kiloude City.

I would like for there to be more in-game events other than the Lucario and Laparas.

I feel that Lumiose City has more to offer, so it would be nice to have more of it to explore. Paris is famous for its Sewers...maybe a down and dirty (sorry lol) sidequest in Lumiose sewers?

Rhyhorn Racing would be nice. Also, and this so ticked me off when I found out the truth...Pokémon Riding. I want to Ride Pokémon whenever I want. They made such a big deal about riding Pokémon, only to stiff us with a bait and switch.

I want the ability to take off the hat. I mean the rival has their's off, why can't I take it off?

More clothing options. I would love to have more clothes. Maybe give us special clothes modeled after player characters from the past. I would love to wear Brandon's headband. It would also be nice to

More hair styles and hair color choices. If I want Green hair, I should be able to get green hair (I don't want green hair...just saying)

Give us back rematches. I want to collect numbers, chew the fat and talk up cute girls like in the past. It sucks that only the rival in Kiloude and the battle chateau are the only places you can battle after you beat everyone else.

Let us search for Shiny Pokémon in the PC. Its very hard to find them when their sprite looks like the normal sprite.

Make the female characters less...stalker-like. Quite a few of them are a little bit stalker like, from standing outside of your house Post game, to the Hex girls confessing love and Malva putting off vibes that she should not be allowed near children. The girls and women in XY are crazy. (maybe it is best I don't get their numbers and they don't get mine >,>;;; )

Meh, the timing between B2W2 and XY was unfortunate - I'm not sure if XY was too early or B2W2 was too late, though (they were really stretching the DS with another core series game considering the 3DS was right around the corner) but I don't feel like the bugs in X/Y were any worse than the bugs in previous games (with the exception of the rather serious Lumiose City save glitch, which was patched relatively promptly).

On Lucario/Lapras, is it weird that I actually thought I had too many pokemon randomly handed to me? I didn't want any more. :lol:

I 100% agree with a.) more Lumiose City content, b.) Rhyhorn racing, c.) That. Flipping. Hat. d.) more trainer customization (granted we already have loads more than ever before), e.) rematches, and f.) searching for shinies in the pc/GTS.

I wasn't that weirded out by most of the female NPCs, but maybe I wasn't paying attention? :lol:

-More areas. I'm thinking maybe they would probably do the same thing they did in BW2 for the start of the game, make a new town in the southwest (and a new starting gym) that would end up connecting to Camphrier Town from the south and from there you would explore most of the existing areas in a different order (I was thinking go to Parfum Palace for a quick errand, then come back to Camphrier Town and go to Lumiose City, then go through the Coastal Loop counterclockwise, then take a new TMV line from Lumiose City to Couriway Town, then backtrack to Snowbelle City, then go through the rest of the Mountain Loop until you reach Laverre City, then go to Santalune City and then the Pokemon League). Also, there needs to be more post game areas, maybe they could add them east and north of Kiloude City (starting with a jungle route leading east, it's about time they make a proper jungle in the main games).
-A better paced plot, and one that uses some of the key characters more. Malva should either become leader of Team Flare, or have some kind of significant role within the organization this time instead of just staying on the sidelines throughout most of the game. They could also use her position as an Elite 4 member to add a sense of surprise at the end of the game, maybe when you go to challenge her in an Elite 4 battle, you get ambushed by Team Flare and your challenge gets interrupted for more plot stuff. More of AZ, Floette, and Alexa would be nice as well, as would having the gym leaders actually do something of relevance as opposed to Cloystering themselves in their gyms the whole game. In terms of pacing, they shouldn't just make the storyline like BW2 and XY where Team Flare does nothing of interest until late in the game, I want to see some plot related elements earlier in the game, like say 4th or 5th gym-ish.
-More gameplay features is an utter necessity, XY are far too light on replay value. At the very least they need some kind of Secret Base/Underground/Join Avenue type place that would work hand in hand with Streetpass. Maybe they could do a Join Avenue type thing with Lumiose City in this game, where instead of the shops being pre-placed on the four avenues, you can control which shop goes on which avenue.
-More Mega Stones if possible, particularly for 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Pokemon which are sorely underrepresented.
-More customization options.
-An actual fucking rematch system like the Phone/Trainer's Eyes/Vs. Seeker, enough of relying on gimmicky, limited use battle facilities for rematches.
-Multiple difficulties AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE FROM THE START
-Gym leader rematches that don't actually have less Pokemon than the original fight.
-Elite 4 rematches that actually level up and change their rosters like previous games.

That's all I can think of ATM.

Last edited:
If they do revisit Kalos for a third versin/sequel, new gameplay features would definitely need to feature Rhyhorn racing and Cyllage City's bike race.

If they do revisit Kalos for a third versin/sequel, new gameplay features would definitely need to feature Rhyhorn racing and Cyllage City's bike race.

As much as I'd love to participate in the bike race (sometimes I race on the track for fun), I can't see how that would work without some kind of boost gimmick. Simply racing along the track against NPCs at normal bike speed wouldn't really work that well because they'd either need to make the NPCs sucky at racing (which would make it not very challenging) or whoever wins would be whoever takes the shortest turns (which may be too difficult because the NPCs would crowd up the track).

Meh, the timing between B2W2 and XY was unfortunate - I'm not sure if XY was too early or B2W2 was too late, though (they were really stretching the DS with another core series game considering the 3DS was right around the corner) but I don't feel like the bugs in X/Y were any worse than the bugs in previous games (with the exception of the rather serious Lumiose City save glitch, which was patched relatively promptly).

On Lucario/Lapras, is it weird that I actually thought I had too many pokemon randomly handed to me? I didn't want any more. :lol:

I 100% agree with a.) more Lumiose City content, b.) Rhyhorn racing, c.) That. Flipping. Hat. d.) more trainer customization (granted we already have loads more than ever before), e.) rematches, and f.) searching for shinies in the pc/GTS.

I wasn't that weirded out by most of the female NPCs, but maybe I wasn't paying attention? :lol:

Try Anistar City Pokémon Center and talk to the Hex Maniac...she confesses love to you without even knowing you. Malva tells you she wants to burn you, Kalos girls be crazy.

@Bolt the Cat thanks for reminding me about Couriway Town...it drives me nuts they have a train station that us useless. Thought, Kalos could have another region to its right like a inverse Johto Kanto relationship.

@Stratelier Oh yeah that would be fun. Maybe they could make it a mini game where you use the 3DS' gyros to maneuver and instead of a over view view, maybe make it a 1st or third person POV.

-More gameplay features is an utter necessity, XY are far too light on replay value. At the very least they need some kind of Secret Base/Underground/Join Avenue type place that would work hand in hand with Streetpass. Maybe they could do a Join Avenue type thing with Lumiose City in this game, where instead of the shops being pre-placed on the four avenues, you can control which shop goes on which avenue.

I actually like this idea!! :)

thanks for reminding me about Couriway Town...it drives me nuts they have a train station that us useless. Thought, Kalos could have another region to its right like a inverse Johto Kanto relationship.

Meh, I didn't really like how they handled Johto and Kanto, so I wouldn't want to see another two region game.

I'm predicting a third game à lá Platinum. I prefer it a lot more than the way B2/W2 was done.

I'd say a third version would be far more likely. The only reason that Gen. V had sequels was because the original Black and White versions weren't really conducive to having a single third version. After all, the whole point of the game was the conflict between the player and N. They couldn't really take the original plots and combine them the same way that they did with Emerald or Platinum, because it was a major plot that Zekrom and Reshiram each chose their own hero.

X and Y, on the other hand, have a plot that could conceivably be altered so that the main Pokémon of the game is Zygarde (Maybe Team Flare gets their hands on both Xerneas and Yveltal and try to use their combined powers to run the Ultimate Weapon, prompting Zygarde to seek out the player for help?). However, only time will tell if this ends up being the case, especially since they've hinted at a second pair of Gen. VI games taking place in another new region. Perhaps they'll release those two games and then release Pokémon Z afterwards?

I'd say a third version would be far more likely. The only reason that Gen. V had sequels was because the original Black and White versions weren't really conducive to having a single third version. After all, the whole point of the game was the conflict between the player and N. They couldn't really take the original plots and combine them the same way that they did with Emerald or Platinum, because it was a major plot that Zekrom and Reshiram each chose their own hero.

X and Y, on the other hand, have a plot that could conceivably be altered so that the main Pokémon of the game is Zygarde (Maybe Team Flare gets their hands on both Xerneas and Yveltal and try to use their combined powers to run the Ultimate Weapon, prompting Zygarde to seek out the player for help?). However, only time will tell if this ends up being the case, especially since they've hinted at a second pair of Gen. VI games taking place in another new region. Perhaps they'll release those two games and then release Pokémon Z afterwards?

Also, the main reason behind B2W2 was the key feature (long-short-story: Masuda was so adamant on the key feature that he thought the third version should be a dual version, then Iwata told him dual third versions would defeat the third version's very purpose -that is, to be the definitive version that features everything- so he demanded that if Masuda would have new paired versions, they should be different enough from the original BW to make it worthy), so yeah, a sequel seems to be a one-time thing. And I appreciate it, but I dont´t want another B2W2. I mean, I do like sequels, and I actually think the Pokémon franchise needs some sequels to enrich its universe, but I want true sequels (ala GSC) instead of glorified third versions disguised as sequels, so, if we are going to have a sequel for XY, I rather have it in a few Gens, so it can have new Pokémon and new gameplay features (and thus still feel new instead of a rehash), or at least set in a new region so it still feels new and fresh despite being the same generation.

Now in regards to why I prefer Gen II-styled sequels over Gen V-styled sequels, I like Gen II´s treatment towards sequels better than Gen V´s. Sure, it was poorly excecuted, but the concept was better overall. With GSC/HGSS we got a whole new region and 100 new Pokémon, new features (breeding and friendship) and most of the plot was new. Sure, Team Rocket was back, but other than that, everything else was new: the eight Gym Leaders were different, the Elite Four, while located at the same place, featured mostly new members, you have new key characters both rivals and friends. Even TR (the plot element that tied the two games/generations) had many surprises and changes about them: instead of being a Pokémon gangster/mafia, they were now a resentful, down to drags organization in search of their lost leader and trying to regain their lost power.

Of course, that doesn't mean GSC was the perfect sequel though. What the Johto/Kanto sequel lacked was pacing and an actual level curve during the Kanto quest, but that was poor execution, not a poor concept per se, for the tools and elements for a proper execution are there- namely, Pokémon levels. People say that the Kanto half of GSC sucked because both wild and trained Pokémon were very low-leveled in comparison to the late-Johto trainers, but it's not like that doesn´t have a solution. To this day, the Pokémon League has never used Pokémon higher than Lv. 80 (and that's for rematcghes, during story mode they hit 60's at best), yet we have a level cap of 100. What happens then with the additional 20 levels? They're not used at all! Few Pokémon (mostly legendaries) ever learn new moves after Lv. 70, and both multiplayer and battle facilities level all Pokémon down to Lv. 50, so, apart from bragging, leveling your Pokémon to 100 has no purpose whatsoever. Having a two region game can be achieved by giving an actual use for the last 20-30 unused levels.

Therefore, instead of having all Kanto trainers with teams at level 30's or 40's and keeping Kanto Pokémon at level 2 for the sake of continuity (considering levels are a gameplay element, and how you can trade Pokémon between BW and B2W2 as if nothing happened, I'm amused at Game Freak's concept for continuity and their priorities), Kanto should have had Kanto Pokémon (both trained and wild) at levels between 60-90 and finally have Red peaking at Lv. 100. Wouldn´t that be amazing? That would solve both issues: unused Pokémon levels and the (aparent) lack of a level curve for the second region. With this simple change, a game with two regions and 16 gym leaders is feasible, and provide a truly lenghty game instead of a lazy post-game and fake longevity, and if we can have a sequel to XY featuring two regions (Kalos being one of them of course).

But there are other facts, I'm aware. Game size, for example. Except that XY weight 1.7 GB whereas 3DS cards can hold up to 8 GB- that´s more than four times XY´s. Not to mention that a game as large as Skyrim (which is like 20 times bigger than XY and has much more detailed graphics) fits in a 8 GB disc, which proves how big a 3DS game can be. The story? Well, didn't BW prove that beating the Elite Four doesn't have to be the end of the story? A well-written, well paced story can last two regions and give us an amazing game.

Even if we disregard the two-region element, the Johto plot continued RGBY's story and was full of references to the Gen I events and characers, ins such a ways that, for the naysayers, it would have still felt a true sequel without the Kanto segment in the postgame. Therefore, we could have removed Kanto from GSC/HGSS and still feel a true sequel. All these elements that make GSC the better sequel structure, if done correctly, even after removing the original region (let's take The Karate Kid II, in that movie the characters move to a different country and still feels like a Karate Kid sequel). So, a sequel to XY set in a diifferent region is believable, and would be the better sequel over just a glorified third version wit the same old Kalos.

I do believe Kalos still has lots of potential though- the train station, the sundial, the Pokémon Village... And I don't want to leave it behind that soon and waste that potential. That's why I favor a two-region sequel (so that Kalos reaches its full potential and we also have an all-new region) over a sequel set on a different region. But if I had to choose from a different region over rehashing Kalos and pay full price for it, I'll go definitely for leaving Kalos behind. Not to mention that a new region has indeed been already foreshadowed. Thus, I prefer a sequel over a third version for the next Gen VI release, but I see the B2W2 treatment unlikely... luckily.

Last edited:
Now in regards to why I prefer Gen II-styled sequels over Gen V-styled sequels, I like Gen II´s treatment towards sequels better than Gen V´s. Sure, it was poorly excecuted, but the concept was better overall. With GSC/HGSS we got a whole new region and 100 new Pokémon, new features (breeding and friendship) and most of the plot was new. Sure, Team Rocket was back, but other than that, everything else was new: the eight Gym Leaders were different, the Elite Four, while located at the same place, featured mostly new members, you have new key characters both rivals and friends. Even TR (the plot element that tied the two games/generations) had many surprises and changes about them: instead of being a Pokémon gangster/mafia, they were now a resentful, down to drags organization in search of their lost leader and trying to regain their lost power.

Okay, first of all, there's something that needs to be taken into consideration when comparing GSC to BW2. GSC started a new generation of games, while BW2 continued the same generation of games. So it's to be expected that there would be new Pokemon and some new gameplay mechanics added. With that in mind, BW2 was much more of an improvement for its time, it didn't introduce completely new Pokemon, but it added 150 Pokemon to the Unova Dex and about 50-100 overall (don't remember the exact number) that weren't in BW1, and plenty of new areas to the region, which is more than any third version had done.

Of course, that doesn't mean GSC was the perfect sequel though. What the Johto/Kanto sequel lacked was pacing and an actual level curve during the Kanto quest, but that was poor execution, not a poor concept per se, for the tools and elements for a proper execution are there- namely, Pokémon levels. People say that the Kanto half of GSC sucked because both wild and trained Pokémon were very low-leveled in comparison to the late-Johto trainers, but it's not like that doesn´t have a solution. To this day, the Pokémon League has never used Pokémon higher than Lv. 80 (and that's for rematcghes, during story mode they hit 60's at best), yet we have a level cap of 100. What happens then with the additional 20 levels? They're not used at all! Few Pokémon (mostly legendaries) ever learn new moves after Lv. 70, and both multiplayer and battle facilities level all Pokémon down to Lv. 50, so, apart from bragging, leveling your Pokémon to 100 has no purpose whatsoever. Having a two region game can be achieved by giving an actual use for the last 20-30 unused levels.

Therefore, instead of having all Kanto trainers with teams at level 30's or 40's and keeping Kanto Pokémon at level 2 for the sake of continuity (considering levels are a gameplay element, and how you can trade Pokémon between BW and B2W2 as if nothing happened, I'm amused at Game Freak's concept for continuity and their priorities), Kanto should have had Kanto Pokémon (both trained and wild) at levels between 60-90 and finally have Red peaking at Lv. 100. Wouldn´t that be amazing? That would solve both issues: unused Pokémon levels and the (aparent) lack of a level curve for the second region. With this simple change, a game with two regions and 16 gym leaders is feasible, and provide a truly lenghty game instead of a lazy post-game and fake longevity, and if we can have a sequel to XY featuring two regions (Kalos being one of them of course).

You've got it backwards. The pacing issue in GSCHGSS is more concept than execution. No matter what you do with it, the two region system just doesn't work. The problem is that it forces the first region's Pokemon to be low level, which restricts certain Pokemon and moves from appearing and removes the challenge from the game. It's pretty underwhelming to go up against the 8th gym leader and only have them use a bunch of mid evolution Pokemon, that's not a very exciting battle at all. Also, they shouldn't have the game automatically put you at Lv. 100 at the end, that's less satisfying than if you earn it by putting in extra effort post game.

Now BW2? That's definitely poor execution. The idea is sound, you take an existing region, you add new areas to the region, make some changes to older ones, and progress through the game in a different way with a different story. The problems with it come from the fact that it didn't make the changes it needed to feel fresh or balanced. Or as you put it, it's too much like a third version. That's an execution problem, not a concept problem. They could've made a different path through the region that didn't share the same midgame as BW1, they could've put more old Pokemon in those midgame areas, they could've moved features like the Day Care and fossil restoration to more appropriate areas, and that would've made the game feel more like a different experience.

But there are other facts, I'm aware. Game size, for example. Except that XY weight 1.7 GB whereas 3DS cards can hold up to 8 GB- that´s more than four times XY´s. Not to mention that a game as large as Skyrim (which is like 20 times bigger than XY and has much more detailed graphics) fits in a 8 GB disc, which proves how big a 3DS game can be. The story? Well, didn't BW prove that beating the Elite Four doesn't have to be the end of the story? A well-written, well paced story can last two regions and give us an amazing game.

There's another factor you're not considering, and that's the labor involved in making the games. It took XY roughly 2 or 3 years to develop. I highly doubt they could do double the content in a reasonable time frame. Unless you consider 2017 "reasonable".

I do believe Kalos still has lots of potential though- the train station, the sundial, the Pokémon Village... And I don't want to leave it behind that soon and waste that potential. That's why I favor a two-region sequel (so that Kalos reaches its full potential and we also have an all-new region) over a sequel set on a different region. But if I had to choose from a different region over rehashing Kalos and pay full price for it, I'll go definitely for leaving Kalos behind. Not to mention that a new region has indeed been already foreshadowed. Thus, I prefer a sequel over a third version for the next Gen VI release, but I see the B2W2 treatment unlikely... luckily.

Please tell me this is some kind of April Fool's joke. You think creating a completely new region would be a great way to tap into that potential? No, if you want Kalos to have more development, it's much smarter to focus solely on Kalos. Adding another region to the mix is basically sidestepping the issue.

Okay, first of all, there's something that needs to be taken into consideration when comparing GSC to BW2. GSC started a new generation of games, while BW2 continued the same generation of games.

I never said otherwise. I did say I'm aware of the differences between same-gen rereleases (aka third versions) and new-gen rereleases (aka the proper remakes, ala FRLG and HGSS), I just said that different-gen remakes benefit from the new gen new mechanics, and therefore, I prefer third versions to be released as next-gen remakes. So no, I didn't say otherwise, either you misunderstood my point or simply didn't read it properly.

So it's to be expected that there would be new Pokemon and some new gameplay mechanics added. With that in mind, BW2 was much more of an improvement for its time, it didn't introduce completely new Pokemon, but it added 150 Pokemon to the Unova Dex and about 50-100 overall (don't remember the exact number) that weren't in BW1, and plenty of new areas to the region, which is more than any third version had done.

Once again, I never said I expected B2W2 to introduce new Pokémon or next-gen mechanics. I admit it improved the games more than previous third version, but the story was sooooo lacking that it's obvious they didn't put any emphasis on it due to its development having started as a third version. Probably they introduced slightly more in quantity than previous third versions, yet B2W2 still didn't introduce anything that previous third versions haven't added: new characters? Crystal brought Eusine, Emerald introduced Juan and Platinum introduced Charon and Looker; new areas? Platinum added the Distortion World; new battle facilities? There's the Battle Frontier, currently a third version-only feature and way deeper and more complex than the PWT. With all these precedents, I´m pretty sure all those new features would have been implemented nonetheless if Masuda had had it his way and released "Blackish Gray" and "Whitish Gray" instead of Black2 and White2.

You've got it backwards. The pacing issue in GSCHGSS is more concept than execution.

No, YOU got it backwards. First, pacing [GSC/HGSS issue] =/= concept. Pacing belongs in the execution cathegory; so no, my point still stands- Johto's issue was pacing, not concept. Second, How is "all new game" a poorer concept that "let's rehash 80% of the game, add 20% new and call it a completely new game"? Also, you are ignoring how I proved the concept can be achieved. Which now I'm going to re-address in further detail.

No matter what you do with it, the two region system just doesn't work.
How do you know it so sure? That’s slightly arrogant on your part. When you have a problem, you try to fix it, you don’t shy away from it. Unless the problem is addressed and fails again, then you can’t say there’s no way around it. You can say “well they already tried with HGSS”. Except that they didn’t. They addressed Johto’s problems (lack of Gen II Pokémon in Johto, no Safari Zone…), but for Kanto, they only added back Viridian Forest and Cerulean Cave, but other than that, they didn’t address the actual problem – the lack of a proper story for Kanto and a better level-curve; both issues were ignored. Had they added a Kanto story and a new level curve yet failed again, then yes, you would be right: it would have been proved that there’s no way to make it work. But until then, it hasn’t been tried, so the possibility is still open.

The problem is that it forces the first region's Pokemon to be low level, which restricts certain Pokemon and moves from appearing and removes the challenge from the game.

The problem is that you are stuck on the same game structure and trying to force us into thinking there's no other options available. Bringing in a new game structure won't hurt the games, on the contrary, it will make them feel different. If there is something that nearly everybody complains about is that every game is just the same: beat 7 gyms, face the villain, beat last gym, go to Pokémon League, end credits". Critics and reviewers criticize this aspect, and they do have a point. BW slightly shook this structure and see how well it made. Sure, in Johto it WAS a problem because after the E4 there was little to do in Kanto, leaving wasted potential in moves and Pokémon alike. But once more, that's execution, and it can be solved by simply adding something relevant to do in the second region (which is what Johto/Kanto did wrong).

It's pretty underwhelming to go up against the 8th gym leader and only have them use a bunch of mid evolution Pokemon, that's not a very exciting battle at all.

That's how Johto did, and yes, I agree with you, it sucked and was pretty underwhelming. But what if after the eighth Gym, instead of being sent to a barren region and your fully-evolved Pokémon go to waste, with wild Pokémon at Lv. 2 and trainer teams no higher than Lv. 40 (which indeed was stupid and made no sense), you are sent to a full-fleshed region, with new sidequests, a proper story, lots of strong trainers to battle, wild Pokémon on the 60-90 level range, and Gym Leaders with rosters between Lv. 60 (9th Gym) and 90 (16TH Gym), for a final boss using a team composed of six Lv. 100 Pokémon (so you can battle your mons in all their fully evolved glory)? Now that would be awesome and challenging, and furthermore, this structure would address another issue that all games (not only the Johto games) suffer of: that there’s no use in leveling your team up to 100. You talk about removing moves and Pokémon from being used on the main story, you talk about challenge, and you talk about earning your achievements by effort. Yet you are ignoring that Mewtwo learns its signature move at Level 100, you are ignoring that, except for Red (coincidentally from GSC/HGSS) and Barry, no other boss has had a Pokémon team higher then 80, leaving 20 levels of wasted potential (and that’s already taking Red and Barry into consideration). Isn’t fighting truly high-leveled Pokémon, using your level 100 team against another level 100 team more entailing AND challenging than just grinding up against level 60 wild Pokémon? Or do you actually think that rebattling the Nimbasa Stadiums trainers for the millionth time is challenging, and that leaving Mewtwo rotting in your PC fulfills your team’s true potential? Really!?

You are deliberately ignoring that I have provided enough proof that it can be done plus the proper elements to do it.
It seems you just stopped reading after the “it can be done” sentence.

Also, they shouldn't have the game automatically put you at Lv. 100 at the end, that's less satisfying than if you earn it by putting in extra effort post game.

The scenario I just proposed doesn’t “automatically put you at Lv. 100”, but makes you progress smoothly from Lv. 60’s (E4) to Lv. 100 through the second region challenge, by progressing through the second half of the story, thus earning it by all your effort.
Also, something that most people have criticized is precisely the post-game: either it’s shallow, or it’s rushed. See on this very thread the criticisms towards the Looker-Xerosic-Essentia arc. Most people here agree that it felt crammed and rushed. And it is. With five episodes one after another, it felt rushed, and many people in this very thread have stated that dividing it and spreading the episodes throughout the main story would have felt better and more natural.

Usually, the main story has about 5 to 6 main episodes, so if you already have a 5-episode post-game, it gives enough material to spreading it over a second region without feeling it half-assed and barren like GSC Kanto was. This would in turn change a rushed and crammed post-game into a proper second half.

You may say that would make the game too long. But wouldn’t that be a good thing? A standard Pokémon story mode is about 30-40 hours long. If we double it, it would hit 80 hours at most. That’s not that long of a game. Sure enough, if you compare it with FPS´s which tend to last around 10-20 hours, then yes, it’s way too long. But if you compare it to RPG’s (incidentally the genre Pokémon games belong to), which hit the 100 hours mark, then no, it’s not too long of a story mode.

Now BW2? That's definitely poor execution. The idea is sound, you take an existing region, you add new areas to the region, make some changes to older ones, and progress through the game in a different way with a different story. The problems with it come from the fact that it didn't make the changes it needed to feel fresh or balanced. Or as you put it, it's too much like a third version. That's an execution problem, not a concept problem.

I’m sorry, but disguising a third version as a sequel to cash in is not execution, is concept. Let’s not forget that the idea wasn’t “let’s make a sequel that continues the story”, the idea was “Iwata is putting pressure on me to justify the dual release, so let’s add a new protagonist, remove the plot so we can say it has a new story, and call it a sequel”. Even Masuda confessed that. It was beyond execution, the whole concept behind the game was flawed: Masuda never intended to make a sequel at all, he just wanted a dual third version and due to criticisms from Iwata, he disguised it as a sequel.

They could've made a different path through the region that didn't share the same midgame as BW1, they could've put more old Pokemon in those midgame areas, they could've moved features like the Day Care and fossil restoration to more appropriate areas, and that would've made the game feel more like a different experience.

Fair enough, you have a point, and yes, it could have been awesome.

Now don’t get me wrong, for all the criticisms I’ve made towards B2W2 in this thread, I do love the game to death, and it is probably my best Pokémon experience in years (even over XY). However, the reason I love the game so much is because it put together everything that previous games did right. It was like a Greatest Hits compilation: it distilled and compiled the best in the series… but it didn’t offer anything new, it didn’t take risks.

There's another factor you're not considering, and that's the labor involved in making the games. It took XY roughly 2 or 3 years to develop. I highly doubt they could do double the content in a reasonable time frame. Unless you consider 2017 "reasonable".

If it’s going to blow me away, then yes, it's reasonable. I prefer waiting 3, 4 or even 5 years for an all-new game that's going to surpass all expectations, over having to wait 2 years (which is the usual timeframe between the original pair and the third version) then be fully charged for what is basically a patch that fixes the original pair's issues and nothing more. Heck, GTA players have to wait about 5 years between iterations and they never complain because the wait is worth it. Same for Smash Bros. players - between Melee and Brawl there were 6 years, and it’s already been 6 years since Brawl. There is no need to rush Game Freak, we don’t need a new Pokémon game every year; they can take their time, we can play different games meanwhile.

You can say "they already do that... it's called next generation". And yes, that's why I said at the start of my post that I prefer that the sequel/third version be released in a different generation and the next Gen VI game not being related to XY or Kalos. I´m not being unreasonable, I'm just proposing new alternatives that we haven´t taken in mind because we (and I say we, so don't say I'm directing at you and feel offended) are so narrow-minded that we never see other options other than the traditional "original pair-third version-remake" release pattern.

Please tell me this is some kind of April Fool's joke. You think creating a completely new region would be a great way to tap into that potential? No, if you want Kalos to have more development, it's much smarter to focus solely on Kalos. Adding another region to the mix is basically sidestepping the issue.

Once more, you got me wrong. I NEVER said "let´s just add a new region", now THAT would be sidestepping the issue. What I did say is "add more to Kalos [which is addressing the issue, and what you just proposed] and give us a new region, so that it feels totally new instead of minor improvements".

Overall, it seems you just didn't read/didn´t get my point (pleeeeease, tell me you misread everything on purpose for an April´s Fool joke), but whatever. Courses for horses.

I personally think a X2/Y2 is more likely. Mostly because of what I've been discussing with people before about. Lysandre's fate and the roles and meanings of the legendary Pokemon. Below is a spoiler for X and Y concerning Lysandre.
In Y many people think Lysandre dies because of being hit by the destruction force of the ultimate weapon. But in X it is very different, he tells the player of punishing them all by giving them eternal life, I can't see him snuffing it in X. This could possibly mean the next game will be heavily influenced by this I think it is possible that in the sequels the Team goals are different, they may even be lead by Malva. In Y Malva may try to resurrect Lysandre (doubt it, thats a little too deep for Gamefreak to do) or finish Lysandre's goals. In X I don't know, but I think Lysandre would have seen the error of his ways and tried to prevent Malva from carrying out mass destruction, as Lysandre has eternity to create inventions for the better of the Pokemon world.

Some speculate on Zygarde having two mega evolutions due to it being in the middle of the mortality trio. This will be also because it has the lowest base stat of a legendary, as it is the same as pseudo legendaries. The more I think of all of this the more unlikely Pokemon Z seems, as Zygarde is the balance of the environment. I mean hey, who knows, maybe Lysandre's warning of the resources are being used up will happen in the next game and this is where Zygarde's role will come in.

Of course this is just what I think, I am a little biased as I am a fan of Lysandre and think he'll be used in the next game but for better reasons.

Back
Top Bottom