• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP09: Clemont's Got a Secret!

This was definitely my favorite XY episode so far. Clemont and Bonnie are such great characters and after meeting their dad, Meyer, so is he! Clembot's backstory was also great and helped explain a lot. I am definitely looking forward to Ash's battle against Clemont once he earns four gym badges. I am also looking forward to more episodes about Clemont.

A Clemont centered episode. I already knew I was going to love it. And can I just say how happy I was that the robot’s name was Clembot. I actually predicted that that’s what it would be after watching the original. Not that there are many other options, though. Also, I could swear that this episode felt like it was going a little faster. Though, I haven’t seen the original in a while so I’m sure. Anyway, on to the review.

First of all, I liked how Clemont and Bonnie were so intent on getting Ash and Serena out of Lumiose before Clemont’s gym leader status could be revealed. Clemont and Bonnie saluting their father after he left was funny. Not to mention teasing Clemont about Serena being his girlfriend. Hilarious.

I loved the flashback. Clemont and Bonnie were so adorable when they were dealing with Clembot. I'm really impressed to see what a great inventor Clemont is at such a young age. But seriously, sandwich was the code? That’s hilarious. It’s just so random.

I liked how Serena tried to battle against the Magneton when they were infiltrating the gym. Too bad it couldn’t get a win, but at the same time I liked how we got to see it separate for the first time in the show.

Now for the battle. First of all, Heliolisk's dancing was adorable. I also really liked Heliolisk’s dub voice. The battle was nice, and Bunnelby did really well. Seriously, I’m really liking this rabbit and I don’t even care for the species that much. Clemont's strategy that he used on Pikachu worked really well here, along with the idea of using double team and dig to confuse Clembot. Thank goodness Heliolisk has garbage defenses. Now I know anime≠games, but I consider things like stats to be pretty damn similar in most cases. Lastly, Ash saying he wants to learn with Clemont while putting his arm around him and Clemont blushing was too cute.

I'll never get over how cute Bonnie and Clemont's pajamas are. I also like how close Serena and Bonnie are. In fact, I love the closeness of the entire group, and in such a short time. They almost feel like a group of siblings altogether.

Overall, this was a fantastic episode, but there’s just one thing that I don’t like. Why the hell does Clembot shoot electricity from its hands? What is the point of that? It’s only supposed to act as the gym leader; when is it ever going to need to fire electricity from its hands? Security? Well maybe, but the floor already ejects people…so why the electric hands? Whatever. I don’t know and it’s not important. So with that I give this episode a 9.7/10.

I'm really surprised how great this episode was and I can only agree with the other users saying that it has been the best XY episode so far.
I think the whole concept of Clemont's background was thought out very well. There was nothing that seemed irrational (except Clembot, a robot, showing emotions) and the plot was presented in an interesting, convincing way.
What I liked most was the battle itself. Is it just me or have battles been animated much faster since XY? Anyways, I love that and I hope they'll keep up the good work concerning strategies and exciting battles in general.

Again, the best XY episode so far in my eyes.

Interesting that the "who's that Pokemon" wasn't even revealed in the episode until after that segment.

Bad news for AmourShippers--Clemont's dad is not one.

Nice to see one of Clemont's inventions not blow up. Even nicer that he could eventually fix it. And that his time with Ash rubbed off on him so much, in both battle tactics and overall guts. And always nice to see one of Ash's friends take the spotlight for an ep.

The Dig/Double Team combo was pretty ace, and funny seeing all the Bunnelby tumbling out of there. I'm really digging (ha) the battles in this series.

Hopefully Clemont will either have more Pokemon by the time he faces Ash (I know he gets one more) or he'll have access to his gym again, but he seems to be pretty good at improvising on his own.

Dub-wise today's episode kept 5 pieces (episode title, when the gang battles Clemont's Magnemite, Clemont preparing to battle Clembot, music during the battle, and at the end of the episode) which isn't much but it's better than the past few episodes at least.

The Dig/Double Team combo was pretty ace, and funny seeing all the Bunnelby tumbling out of there. I'm really digging (ha) the battles in this series.

Hopefully Clemont will either have more Pokemon by the time he faces Ash (I know he gets one more) or he'll have access to his gym again, but he seems to be pretty good at improvising on his own.

Dub-wise today's episode kept 5 pieces (episode title, when the gang battles Clemont's Magnemite, Clemont preparing to battle Clembot, music during the battle, and at the end of the episode) which isn't much but it's better than the past few episodes at least.

Awww...no Pokemon Center music? :/

I gotta say, this was an excellent episode. Clemont's backstory explained a lot of what happened to him. Clembot has got to be the coolest machine in the series to date. Let's see TRio top that one. Though the password verification code... sandwich? Random, yet funny. And I loved Mayer, so overly emotional, yet stern, yet loving, a very good combo for a father. It was pretty funny when he thought that Serena was Clemont's new girlfriend. Sorry Mayer, Ash has first dibs (if he wasn't so oblivious to it, that is, heh).

And I'm glad to see that Ash's traits are rubbing off on the gang. Clemont finally thought outside of the box, especially that awesome Double Team/Dig combo, as well as summoning up more courage. And, is it just me, or did the fact that Bulldoze ended up in the anime mean that maybe, just maybe, Earthquake and such will return? ...No, I kinda doubt it, but it would be nice. But Bulldoze is like a mini Earthquake, so maybe there's a chance, though I have my doubts. But who knows? With the way the anime has been going lately, it might happen. *shrugs*

I gotta say, the gang is almost like a family now. They have incredible synergy, feeding off each other's strengths and covering the other's weaknesses. In all the years of the anime, I must admit, I've never seen such synergy between Ash and co. It's a nice touch, I must say.

At last, we finally got to see Magneton split into three separate units in the anime. Considering how long its been around, it's about time that we saw that. Too bad it came at the cost of Serena and Fennekin unable to land a hit, but that's just a minor thing. And I loved Heliolisk's happy dance and dub voice. I can see why it's called the "Generator Pokemon" just from that happy dance, as it generated smiles and chuckles with that little display.

Overall, a very, very good episode. The dub really did a good job. For that matter, I have yet to see a major flaw in the XY anime, as every episode has been near perfect. I'm quite impressed. XY is really turning out to be quite the powerful series, which is quite pleasing after the long drought of good writing and whatnot. A solid 10/10.

Okay, so the group’s back in Lumiose City and we get to see Bonnie and Clemont’s daddy!~

I have to say, I love that Ampharos, it’s so cute! Anyway, Meyer seems like a pretty cool dude. Pretty funny how he assumed Serena was Clemont’s girlfriend because it’s not like she could have been Ash’s.

I also love how Bonnie refers to Meyer as Daddy! Most kids in this show call their parents “mom” or “dad”, but I feel like “Daddy” is more realistic for a young child. At least to me.

Damn, how long have Clemont and Bonnie been away? Their dad acts like they’ve been gone forever. Makes me wonder how long they’d left before meeting Ash.

All I’m interested in is the backstory at this point and it was pretty interesting. So Clemont made a robot so he could have more free time to invent? Not the most original thing ever, but it works. Why is that robot so violent, though? It needs some anger management. I also like that they cleared up the fact that Clemot would prefer if his opponents had 4 badges, rather than they needing them.

Breaking into the gym to get in? Pretty cool. But geez, Clemont, don’t wait till the minute before Bonnie falls to go over there!

Well, at least Serena and Fennekin tried to fight the Magneton. Much better than if they hadn’t at all, which is nice and respectable~

How on earth is a robot smart enough to teach new moves?! Especially if he never leaves the gym. How could it possibly do that? How is this robot so smart, anyway?

This was a really good gym battle. Clemont’s strategies for Dig and Double Team were awesome and Clembot put up a good fight.

He’s certainly good at being the leader even if that does creep me out. Dedenne and Bonnie panicking when things weren’t going so hot for Clemont was adorable. X3 Glad that the robot recognized Clemont at the end and that he got fixed up. Nice happy ending for them.

Only thing I have a problem with in this episode is Meyer. Why doesn’t he know what’s going on in his children’s lives? Where is their home relative to the gym? Did he even know they left? Did he not go to the gym to see if they were there if he was so concerned? Really, it seems like this man is clueless! He didn’t know the robot locked them out, so apparently he doesn’t visit the gym often. He seemed to not even know about the robot at all, if I’m remembering right, meaning he didn’t know what was going on. What is this man doing?

Well, I won’t let something so minor…ish…ruin such a sweet family reunion.

The return of the Tyrantrum pajamas, yes! And I’m glad Ash’ll be battling Clemont when he gets his 4 badges, though it was to be expected. I like that this group is so close. It’s like the mini family Ash never had.

And it turns out Meyer is (probably) the guy with the MegaBlaziken, to which I have to wonder: Why does he have a MegaBlaziken and not a MegaAmpharos? >^< I LOVE THAT AMPHAROS!

Well, it was a great episode overall. Lots of backstory, awesome battle, and good development. Also Ampharos. So we get here a 9/10.

I really like this episode. It seems that XY is finally going to be the saga where Ash doesn't take centre stage all the time - we've had his companions with days in the limelight before, but not to this extent. I like it, and I like Ash more because the show isn't revolving around him as much.

The battles are great so far. Quicker, slicker, cleverer in writing and animation - what's not to love? I thought the Dig/Double Team trick was great fun, as was Magneton's method of dodging.

Roll on XY! I haven't enjoyed the anime this much since ... oh, at least AG

Okay, so the group’s back in Lumiose City and we get to see Bonnie and Clemont’s daddy!~

I have to say, I love that Ampharos, it’s so cute! Anyway, Meyer seems like a pretty cool dude. Pretty funny how he assumed Serena was Clemont’s girlfriend because it’s not like she could have been Ash’s.

I also love how Bonnie refers to Meyer as Daddy! Most kids in this show call their parents “mom” or “dad”, but I feel like “Daddy” is more realistic for a young child. At least to me.

Damn, how long have Clemont and Bonnie been away? Their dad acts like they’ve been gone forever. Makes me wonder how long they’d left before meeting Ash.

All I’m interested in is the backstory at this point and it was pretty interesting. So Clemont made a robot so he could have more free time to invent? Not the most original thing ever, but it works. Why is that robot so violent, though? It needs some anger management. I also like that they cleared up the fact that Clemot would prefer if his opponents had 4 badges, rather than they needing them.

Breaking into the gym to get in? Pretty cool. But geez, Clemont, don’t wait till the minute before Bonnie falls to go over there!

Well, at least Serena and Fennekin tried to fight the Magneton. Much better than if they hadn’t at all, which is nice and respectable~

How on earth is a robot smart enough to teach new moves?! Especially if he never leaves the gym. How could it possibly do that? How is this robot so smart, anyway?

This was a really good gym battle. Clemont’s strategies for Dig and Double Team were awesome and Clembot put up a good fight.

He’s certainly good at being the leader even if that does creep me out. Dedenne and Bonnie panicking when things weren’t going so hot for Clemont was adorable. X3 Glad that the robot recognized Clemont at the end and that he got fixed up. Nice happy ending for them.

Only thing I have a problem with in this episode is Meyer. Why doesn’t he know what’s going on in his children’s lives? Where is their home relative to the gym? Did he even know they left? Did he not go to the gym to see if they were there if he was so concerned? Really, it seems like this man is clueless! He didn’t know the robot locked them out, so apparently he doesn’t visit the gym often. He seemed to not even know about the robot at all, if I’m remembering right, meaning he didn’t know what was going on. What is this man doing?

Well, I won’t let something so minor…ish…ruin such a sweet family reunion.

The return of the Tyrantrum pajamas, yes! And I’m glad Ash’ll be battling Clemont when he gets his 4 badges, though it was to be expected. I like that this group is so close. It’s like the mini family Ash never had.

And it turns out Meyer is (probably) the guy with the MegaBlaziken, to which I have to wonder: Why does he have a MegaBlaziken and not a MegaAmpharos? >^< I LOVE THAT AMPHAROS!

Well, it was a great episode overall. Lots of backstory, awesome battle, and good development. Also Ampharos. So we get here a 9/10.

Well, a Mega Ampharos would have been a dead giveaway from the start. Think about it, a trainer with a Mega Ampharos saving Ash, then a few episodes later we come across a character with similar built who coincidentally is accompanied by an Ampharos. Wouldn't Ash and the Gang (or at the very least Clemont) put the two to two together? Using a MegaBlaziken for any Batman vigilante business would divert any suspicions that a regular mechanic and with an Ampharos is his daytime job, for the moment at least.

Well, a Mega Ampharos would have been a dead giveaway from the start. Think about it, a trainer with a Mega Ampharos saving Ash, then a few episodes later we come across a character with similar built who coincidentally is accompanied by an Ampharos. Wouldn't Ash and the Gang (or at the very least Clemont) put the two to two together? Using a MegaBlaziken for any Batman vigilante business would divert any suspicions that a regular mechanic and with an Ampharos is his daytime job, for the moment at least.

Considering how Team Rocket blatantly look and sound like themselves when in disguise and Ash has never noticed, I really doubt he'd realize it. Even Clemont considering last week's episode.

I just want the Ampharos to go Mega...I love it...

The bigger problem is why Clemont was perfectly willing to abandon his duties as a Gym Leader and travel with Ash, knowing full well of the problem at his gym. That is what irks me. And the fact that his dad never properly reprimanded him for that. I mean seriously, Misty gets all that hassle from the gym agency and Clemont can make a robot the gym leader? And everyone is fine with that? And he was just going to leave all his Pokemon under a defected machines care?

The bigger problem is why Clemont was perfectly willing to abandon his duties as a Gym Leader and travel with Ash, knowing full well of the problem at his gym. That is what irks me. And the fact that his dad never properly reprimanded him for that. I mean seriously, Misty gets all that hassle from the gym agency and Clemont can make a robot the gym leader? And everyone is fine with that? And he was just going to leave all his Pokemon under a defected machines care?

Well, he established that he couldn't stop the robot and got locked out, so what else was he supposed to do? He had no choice but to leave his Pokemon there. Obviously he didn't tell his pops and Meyer never makes the journey to the gym in the first place, either. If he'd gone over and knew what was doing on, I'm willing to be he would have reprimanded him then. But he hadn't even known about the robot at all until they fixed it. Clemont traveled with Ash to get stronger because he wasn't strong enough to stop his robot himself. The only reason he got back in the gym in the first place was because of Ash. That's likely why he was so willing to travel with Ash, despite the conflict with the robot because he knew, at his current state, there wasn't anything he could do to stop it.

Well, he established that he couldn't stop the robot and got locked out, so what else was he supposed to do? He had no choice but to leave his Pokemon there. Obviously he didn't tell his pops and Meyer never makes the journey to the gym in the first place, either. If he'd gone over and knew what was doing on, I'm willing to be he would have reprimanded him then. But he hadn't even known about the robot at all until they fixed it. Clemont traveled with Ash to get stronger because he wasn't strong enough to stop his robot himself. The only reason he got back in the gym in the first place was because of Ash. That's likely why he was so willing to travel with Ash, despite the conflict with the robot because he knew, at his current state, there wasn't anything he could do to stop it.

Not like he could have told his dad and have him, oh I don't know, dismantle or destroy the robot. And his dad could have just Blaziken Masked himself and handled robot that way too. He could have reported it to Officer Jenny as well and had the police assist him in the deactivation. A full blown trip to better self-esteem wasn't necessary nor the only way.

Not like he could have told his dad and have him, oh I don't know, dismantle or destroy the robot. And his dad could have just Blaziken Masked himself and handled robot that way too. He could have reported it to Officer Jenny as well and had the police assist him in the deactivation. A full blown trip to better self-esteem wasn't necessary nor the only way.

Yes, but he didn't do that, as I already said. Of course he could have just told his dad, and there's no doubt he would have been able to do something, but he chose not to. My guess is that he wanted to handle it himself and that was how he decided to go about it.

My issue was that Meyer did not go to see what was up in the first place.

Well, yeah, all true but it's not unprecedented. Volkner flat-out stopped bothering to battle because he was bored, which to my mind is a greater dereliction of duty. At least Clemont tried to make Clembot a holistic replacement - Volkner just gave Badges out for free

... I've forgotten what my point was

Well, yeah, all true but it's not unprecedented. Volkner flat-out stopped bothering to battle because he was bored, which to my mind is a greater dereliction of duty. At least Clemont tried to make Clembot a holistic replacement - Volkner just gave Badges out for free

... I've forgotten what my point was

Well I agree with that too. Shame on Volkner.

But I was just stating what I thought was the most outrageous aspect of the episode in review.

Well at least no one else would've guessed that code.

Explains why he was raisiing a Bunnleby too. Still think Ash should've been like "I have like 50 gym badges"

Also nice Tyrantrum P-Jays.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom