• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
A couple of Grass-types can learn Dazzling Gleam, hopefully in the future more Grass types get Fairy-type moves. It would really help with their coverage.

I'm not sure Fairy type moves really help Grass types that much TBH. It doesn't really cover any of Grass' weaknesses, and it is still shares some of Grass' disadvantages (both are resisted by Fire, Poison, and Steel).

Pokemon do weird stuff.

Remeber how people complained about Charizard not being dragon until came Mega Charizard X.

Is the Fairy-type Overpowered? (Please read OP)

Just to be clear: this is about the type itself, not the Pokemon who have it.

Fairy is a great type. It's strong against two of the most offensive types in the game, Fighting and Dragon. And it also has the unique bonus of being completely immune to Dragon. It's two weaknesses, Poison and Steel, are not the best types offensively. Based on this, I think the Fairy-type is not balanced as far as type advantages/disadvantages go and needs another weakness. Maybe Fairy can be weak to itself like Dragon and Ghost are. Or give Normal a chance to shine for once and make Fairy weak to that.

Your thoughts?

How is it less balanced? Look at fairy types in the context of the entire type chart. It drives down the usability of common offensive threats (Dragon and Fighting) while giving less common offensive types more usability.

I've definitely seen a lot more use of Steel and Poison moves, and have used more of these two types myself.

Personally, no. I still find Dragons to be more OP than Fairies.

The reason I don't find them OP is because you still don't see any Fairies sweeping teams, or at least I don't. Most of them are slow and there are exactly 4 Fairy-type moves that even do damage. Also, they aren't that hard to take down.

The Fairy-type is pretty good, and one of the better types, in my opinion. But I wouldn't say it's OP.

How is it less balanced? Look at fairy types in the context of the entire type chart. It drives down the usability of common offensive threats (Dragon and Fighting) while giving less common offensive types more usability.

I've definitely seen a lot more use of Steel and Poison moves, and have used more of these two types myself.

I don't think it's balanced because it is effective against the two most common offensive types while not having any common weakness to counter it. I understand that people may think Fairy is fine as it is now, but this is just Gen. 6. In future generations, where more Fairy-type Pokemon and moves will be made and become increasingly common, chances are it will become more evident how big of an advantage the Fairy-type has. I just think Game Freak needs to be careful with how they handle it in the future.

Last edited:
I don't think it's balanced because it is effective against the two most common offensive types while not having any common weakness to counter it. I understand that people may think Fairy is fine as it is now, but this is just Gen. 6. In future generations, where more Fairy-type Pokemon and moves will be made and become increasingly common, chances are it will become more evident how big of an advantage the Fairy-type has.

You're missing the point. They're trying to MAKE Poison and Steel more common threats. Until Fairy, their only type advantages were against types that already had tons of weaknesses. Now there's a reason to use them. Future generations aren't just going to improve Fairy types, they're also going to improve Poison and Steel to fit their new niches.

The only type i consider OP atm is Ghost because only one type resists and another is immune to it and guess what, they only need a fighting type move to cover both of them. There are lot of pokemon that greatly resist Fairy type attacks, so no Fairy type is not OP at all.

The only type i consider OP atm is Ghost because only one type resists and another is immune to it and guess what, they only need a fighting type move to cover both of them. There are lot of pokemon that greatly resist Fairy type attacks, so no Fairy type is not OP at all.

You could make the same argument for Fairy, everything that resists it or is super effective against it is weak to Ground.

The vast majority teams for while have two fairy, a dragon and fairy or two dragons. So it's stands to reason it's on the same class. Now it seems a lot of teams run neither. I believe the reason for that is everyone is carrying good counter strats. It has pretty much a monopoly on the dragon slaying. WHY couldn't mega Abomasnow pick an attack stat. So I say it is objectively cheap but not socially. Not game breaking just why does it super counter three types.

Though personally I think that top type is steel.

Last edited:
I agree, Ghost typing is starting to feel OP. It doesn't help that Gengar learns the best special attacks of pretty much every attack type (e.g. Focus Blast) and its Mega form has both the highest Sp.Attack of almost all Pokemon and a topnotch Speed rating to back it up.

everything that resists [Fairy] or is super effective against it is weak to Ground.
Prior to G6, everything that was SE against Dark was vulnerable to Flying. And of the five types resistant/immune to Electric, all but one are vulnerable to Ice. And all three types SE against Fire are vulnerable to Grass.

Last edited:

You could make the same argument for Fairy, everything that resists it or is super effective against it is weak to Ground.
Except not a single Fairy type can learn a good Ground type move (correct me if i'm wrong) and have to rely on HP Ground wich is Special, while Ghosts can learn Focus Blast and other moderately strong Fighting type moves.

Last edited:
I don't think it's balanced because it is effective against the two most common offensive types while not having any common weakness to counter it. I understand that people may think Fairy is fine as it is now, but this is just Gen. 6. In future generations, where more Fairy-type Pokemon and moves will be made and become increasingly common, chances are it will become more evident how big of an advantage the Fairy-type has.

You're missing the point. They're trying to MAKE Poison and Steel more common threats. Until Fairy, their only type advantages were against types that already had tons of weaknesses. Now there's a reason to use them. Future generations aren't just going to improve Fairy types, they're also going to improve Poison and Steel to fit their new niches.

I get that. However, having a niche doesn't change the fact that they are still rather underpowered types. As it stands now, they're only useful for attacking Fairy-types. Just one type. That's it. Using Mienshao as an example, I don't even bother carrying Poison Jab on it when battling seriously. I'd rather have more useful moves like Knock Off or Stone Edge than an attack just to take care of Fairy-types my opponent may or may not have on their team. Not to mention even with Mienshao's high attack stat, Poison Jab is not a reliable move against some Fairy-types like Granbull. And there are other Pokemon besides Mienshao who are in the same situation.

It's almost a given that there will be more Fairy-type Pokemon and moves in the future but Poison and Steel are going to need more work if GF wants them to be more useful. For instance, make some types lose their resistance to them. Because right now, I personally don't think Poison and Steel are enough, which is why I proposed for Fairy to have one more weakness.

Last edited:
Personally, no. I still find Dragons to be more OP than Fairies.
One thing is true, Dragons haven't seen any reduction in stats or moves. GF specifically said they didn't want to do that.

...and there are exactly 4 Fairy-type moves that even do damage.
Six, actually, and the top two (Moonblast and Play Rough) don't even have 100 power.

I don't think it's balanced because it is effective against the two most common offensive types while not having any common weakness to counter it. I understand that people may think Fairy is fine as it is now, but this is just Gen. 6. In future generations, where more Fairy-type Pokemon and moves will be made and become increasingly common, chances are it will become more evident how big of an advantage the Fairy-type has. I just think Game Freak needs to be careful with how they handle it in the future.

I thought we were talking about the type in isolation of the Pokemon. If you're bringing that up, the majority of fairies aren't even that good. They have resistances and strengths against physical attackers, but not the defense to back it up. The most common fairy types aren't even the new additions--they're old Pokemon that gained the type. The only prominent new fairy is Sylveon and Mega Mawile.

More Pokemon and moves are added each generation, it won't only be fairy types that are increasing. Your analysis of them being flawed "because there will be more" isn't that convincing because it acting as if "more fairies" is the only thing happening in the future.

Fairy type isn't OP, it's just counter-meta. The only thing Fairy curbstomps is Dragon, which was frankly broken before. They're strong checks against some of the most overused pokemon and severely threatened by many underused pokemon. This is healthy and promotes a more diverse meta-game for the future.

The introduction of the Fairy type isn't going to severely damage your team unless half your pokemon were Dragons and then you deserve it. :p

The introduction of the Fairy type isn't going to severely damage your team unless half your pokemon were Dragons and then you deserve it. :p
Or Fighting or Dark -- and then you'd probably still deserve it anyway.

Now we just need better Ghost counters. Or should I say better Mega Gengar counters, because that's the current one I'm trying to figure out. Talonflame could KO it with Brave Bird if I had Gale Wings (not yet), and Delphox could blast him to pieces with e.g. Psyshock, assuming she lives long enough to actually get off the shot. Poison and Ghost immunities (Steel and Normal) aren't worth much when every Gengar is packing Focus Blast.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom