• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

Once you choose the language of the game, does it stay forever or can you choose a different language when you start a new game?

Thanks!

Once you save a new game the language is set until you delete the file and start a new game, you can then select a different language.
Thank you!

That makes me think about something else... Is there a way to know if a pokémon comes from another region or if it's from the same region but with just a different language? For Masuda method...
I dont believe there is any way to know.

As long as on the top screen you see a symbol like KOR, FRE, SPA, etc. the Masuda Method will take effect.

As long as on the top screen you see a symbol like KOR, FRE, SPA, etc. the Masuda Method will take effect.

That means I can start a new game in french or spanish and transfer them with bank to my english game and the Masuda method will work? That's great!

That means I can start a new game in french or spanish and transfer them with bank to my english game and the Masuda method will work? That's great!

Yep~

Gyarados(Gen 1 - Gen 6)

I wasn't sure where to post this as it applies to both Gen 1 and the more recent Gen's :)

I've said in a few of my past posts that the last Pokemon games I played were the Gen 1 games, and I've recently returned to them at Gen 6.

I was training up a Magikarp/Gyarados recently, specifically to use it for it's Special movepool(Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Hydro Pump, Hyper Beam used to be my Gen 1 Gyarados moveset I think).

Then I noticed Gyarados's Special Attack stat. Oh dear...

I did a bit of research and found that the lowering of Gyarados's Special Attack occurred with the Physical/Special Attack split in the stats.

Gyarados used to be my favourite Pokemon in Gen 1, particularly because I was influenced by the anime, and he often looked so impressive in it.

I remember loading up my Gyarados with all those Special Attacks and destroying Pokemon with it....

I know that I'm late by quite a few years with this, but is anyone else disappointed that this happened? I can't understand the logic behind it either. Gyarados still learns a huge number of Special Attacks through level up, culminating in Hyper Beam.

If you want to succeed with Gyarados you're moveset has to be quite limited (Earthquake, Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Ice Fang is one that has been recommended), with room to maneuvre here and there.

I know its very late to moan about this, but my favourite Pokemon has changed quite a bit :(

I'll just have to promote one of my other favourites into first place :D

Re: Gyarados(Gen 1 - Gen 6)

I was training up a Magikarp/Gyarados recently, specifically to use it for it's Special movepool(Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Hydro Pump, Hyper Beam used to be my Gen 1 Gyarados moveset I think).

Then I noticed Gyarados's Special Attack stat. Oh dear...

I did a bit of research and found that the lowering of Gyarados's Special Attack occurred with the Physical/Special Attack split in the stats.

Gyarados used to be my favourite Pokemon in Gen 1, particularly because I was influenced by the anime, and he often looked so impressive in it.

I remember loading up my Gyarados with all those Special Attacks and destroying Pokemon with it....

I know that I'm late by quite a few years with this, but is anyone else disappointed that this happened? I can't understand the logic behind it either. Gyarados still learns a huge number of Special Attacks through level up, culminating in Hyper Beam.

If you want to succeed with Gyarados your moveset has to be quite limited (Earthquake, Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Ice Fang is one that has been recommended), with room to maneuvre here and there.

Actually, Gyarados' special attack stat was lowered in Generation II (Gold/Silver). The reason behind that was that Special in Gen. I was so overpowered that they split it up in all subsequent gens (basically, when a stat provides both attack and defense, any prior strategy devolves into whatever has the highest of that stat). Because of this, any Pokémon with a high Special stat got indirectly nerfed quite a bit (such as how Alakazam has a much harder time taking hits, or how Chansey is much less able to do damage).

So for Gens II and III, Gyarados was significantly underpowered, since most of its most powerful moves (especially Water) worked off of the Sp. Attack stat. The physical/special split in Gen. IV actually benefited Gyarados a lot by giving it the ability to use good moves that worked with its higher Attack stat.

So yeah, Gyarados isn't quite as powerful now as he was in the first games, but it's not because of any specific problems with him. Instead, it's just that he no longer gets to benefit from an overpowered mechanic. As it stands now, he does have access to good Physical moves (like Waterfall/Aqua Tail and Earthquake), so he's in a pretty good spot overall from an attack perspective. (Also, if you really miss Hyper Beam, teach him Giga Impact; it's the exact same except for being a Physical move, and the TM can be bought in the Kiloude PokéMart.)

Thanks for the explanation :)

When I was trying to think of reasons why they did it, I did think the most logical reason was because he was so powerful in Gen 1.

On the change from Gen 1 to Gen 2 - Were HP, Attack, Defense, Special, and Speed the stats available? And then Special Attack, and Special Defense were brought in at Gen IV?

Also one solution I thought of would be to provide Gyarados with another Mega Stone in a future game (be it Gyaradosite Z, if Z actually comes out), which boosts it's Special Attack considerably while decreasing it's Attack stat for balance, just to actually give us an option to use Gyarados as a Special Attacker. Maybe I should bombard Gamefreak with emails requesting it.

Elsewhere, I'm in a discussion with another user who claims that in XY if an Egg hatches shiny for one person it will also hatch shiny for another. I argue it's not but he insists it is. Any thoughts?

For one, if he's correct then sites like Instacheck (for hatching shinies) shouldn't have worked in XY at all, right?

On the change from Gen 1 to Gen 2 - Were HP, Attack, Defense, Special, and Speed the stats available? And then Special Attack, and Special Defense were brought in at Gen IV?
In Gen 1 you had one Special stat covering both attack and defense. (And HP didn't have a dedicated IV but was instead derived from the least-significant-bits of attack/defense/speed/special IVs). Gen II split the Special stat into separate Sp.Atk and Sp.Def stats (but they still shared the same IV and EVs. e.g. Calcium improved both Sp.Atk and Sp.Def in Gen 2).

What Gen IV did was split moves into physical or special categories (instead of relying on the move's type to dictate physical/special).

Last edited:
HP up

Why is it my HP ups don't work on my final form Pokemon? It only seems to work on ones that have an evolution to go, like Jiggypuff or Pawniard. At first I just thought it was because Rayquaza was at level 100 was the reason he wouldn't take any. I kind of regret buying so many on JA now.

Elsewhere, I'm in a discussion with another user who claims that in XY if an Egg hatches shiny for one person it will also hatch shiny for another. I argue it's not but he insists it is. Any thoughts?

To the best of my understsnding, the baby pokemons stats, ivs, nature, ability, AND shinyness is determined when you pick up the egg from the day-care man. As these are set at that moment, i dont see how trading the egg would change anything.

To the best of my understsnding, the baby pokemons stats, ivs, nature, ability, AND shinyness is determined when you pick up the egg from the day-care man. As these are set at that moment, i dont see how trading the egg would change anything.
Shininess calculation is based on the Pokemon's personality value and its Original Trainer.

Eggs acquire the OT of whomever hatches them (which is why they don't count as traded Pokemon). Everything else about the hatched Pokemon remains as it was when you initially received the egg.

Since OT is a factor in shininess, it follows that whether an Egg will be Shiny or not may differ depending on who actually hatches it.

This is how sites like Instacheck worked; by being able to check the Egg's personality value in advance of hatching, you could potentially match it up with precisely the right Trainer to make it hatch Shiny.

Is it possible to catch Scyther in any Pokeball that isn't found in X or Y (as in Heavy Balls, Safari Balls, or especially Friend Balls in this case) other than the Sport Ball?

Re: HP up

Why is it my HP ups don't work on my final form Pokemon? It only seems to work on ones that have an evolution to go, like Jiggypuff or Pawniard. At first I just thought it was because Rayquaza was at level 100 was the reason he wouldn't take any. I kind of regret buying so many on JA now.

If your Pokémon aren't accepting HP Ups, it's because one of a few things are happening:

1) The Pokémon is at max total EVs (510).

2) The Pokémon is at 100+ HP EVs.

Vitamins work by increasing the amount of EVs a Pokémon has in a stat by 10, but they can't raise the EVs of a stat over 100. They also can't raise the total EVs over the cap, so if you have enough EVs in other stats, they won't work either. I suspect the reason they are working on your unevolved Pokémon is because you haven't battled enough with them to have hit max IVs.

For more info on IVs, I suggest reading this page on Bulbapedia. It gives a pretty good description of how they work, including how you can use vitamins and EV-reducing berries to tweak the values in your favor.

If your Pokémon aren't accepting HP Ups, it's because one of a few things are happening:

Vitamins work by increasing the amount of EVs a Pokémon has in a stat by 10, but they can't raise the EVs of a stat over 100. They also can't raise the total EVs over the cap, so if you have enough EVs in other stats, they won't work either. I suspect the reason they are working on your unevolved Pokémon is because you haven't battled enough with them to have hit max IVs.

For more info on IVs, I suggest reading this page on Bulbapedia. It gives a pretty good description of how they work, including how you can use vitamins and EV-reducing berries to tweak the values in your favor.
I've noticed while training them they gain an extra HP after the battle is over even without leveling, all my training is against Audinos, could that be the reason?

I've noticed while training them they gain an extra HP after the battle is over even without leveling, all my training is against Audinos, could that be the reason?

Yep, that would do it! Audino give out 2 EVs in HP. So after battling 50 of them with a certain Pokémon, you'd reach 100 EVs, past which HP Ups wouldn't have any effect on that particular Pokémon.

What does the Pentagon icon mean when you look at a Pokemon's summery screen? I first heard it was suppose to be a hack check, but then I heard it means the Pokemon came from Kalos, even if it's not native to the region, like the Snivy I hatched on Y.

But, what exactly and truely what does that Pentagon mean?

What does the Pentagon icon mean when you look at a Pokemon's summery screen? I first heard it was suppose to be a hack check, but then I heard it means the Pokemon came from Kalos, even if it's not native to the region, like the Snivy I hatched on Y.

But, what exactly and truely what does that Pentagon mean?
It means it was caught or hatched in Kalos.

Heya, I've recently returned to Pokemon after missing a couple of generations.

I've got a quick question, is there any way to transfer Pokemon from Sapphire to X/Y without going through any of the generations in between? I have a DS with a GBA slot (just was tight on both money and time when the DS Pokemon games were current...) so it's not impossible for me to do it by moving them to D/P/B/W/B2/W2 but it seems a bit of a faff to me to get a copy of an older game and play it part way through for the sake of transfering a few Pokemon I'd like to keep.

New quick question: Exactly how does one catch Pokerus from a wild Pokemon? Does it spread via just battling it (e.g. contact), or do you have to ball the Pokemon and it subsequently spreads across your team from there?

(I've been careful about keeping 'foreign' Pokerus off my A-team, for personal reasons -- if Flammie gets it, I want it to be from a genuine wild encounter than the GTS/WT. Besides, my A-team is fully EV trained so it wouldn't make that kind of difference anyway.)

New quick question: Exactly how does one catch Pokerus from a wild Pokemon? Does it spread via just battling it (e.g. contact), or do you have to ball the Pokemon and it subsequently spreads across your team from there?

You don't have to catch it. Just battling something with PKRS will give it to your Pokemon, as will catching it. Then keep it, or your head Pokemon with Pokerus that KO'd the wild Pokemon in the team, battle around a bit, and it will spread eventually~

Question on the Mortality Duo (Xerneas and Yveltal):

Is that name now widely accepted, or has a official unofficial name not been coined yet?

A few months back I only put it down on several of the wiki articles as a Place Holder, and I am surprise to see it is still being used on the articles and even talk pages. I know a few fan wikis call them the Life Duo or Trio with Zygarde added.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom