• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XYS01: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act I~

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it pretty much confirmed that Ash will NOT get a mega stone, especially since they already have a 2 part special centering around a character that do.

I think it pretty much confirmed that Ash will NOT get a mega stone, especially since they already have a 2 part special centering around a character that do.

A Character with a Mega Charizard X, Leaving Mega Charizard Y to still be featured. Hmmm, I wonder who could debut that one??

[video=youtube;qnzdXEkKEtI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnzdXEkKEtI[/video]

Looks pretty awesome. I for one am all for this dude appearing later on, even if for just the league, just to get a Mega Charizard X vs Mega Charizard Y battle with Ash.

The chick with the Absol kinda looks like a younger Cynthia haha

Is it just me or does Alan look a lot like Yusei Fudo from Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's? Probably just me then who thinks this.

I do like how this, along with Pokemon Origins and to a lesser extent the BW2 and Gates to Infinity trailers that TPCi is trying to work more with original animated projects and expand beyond just always focusing on the adventures of Ash and Pikachu all the time.

My only problem is why it has to be Siebold in particular, who doesn't even have a Mega Stone (yes he has a Gyarados, which has a Mega Evolution, but fellow E4 Wilkstrom has a Scizor, another Mega Evolving Pokemon), the only one at the league who DOES have one is Diantha with her Mega Gardevoir, but still.

Might b cool.
Only complaint here is Siebold. Really?
Why not Lysandre, Diantha, or Calem/Serena, characters who canonically have Megas in the games? Or at least Malva, of the E4? They'd be more interesting too, this just seems so out of the blue. Plus that it's Blastoise and not Gyarados is just...ugh.

They cannot use Serena because of the Serena in the anime (who only has a Fennekin at the moment), and Calem follows the "male protagonist rule" in which Ash usually represents the male protagonist of the games (wearing an outfit similar or close to the male protagonist). Lysandre is a bit more of a spoiler for the plot of the games, to which this special follows it's own plot. There's always Korrina, but given how close Ash is to getting to her within the next few months, it's best not to use her so quickly. An original character is fine with me too.

If the other League members don't appear as well, then, I'm going to be really pissed. As another person said, it will span a few episodes, yes? Guess I'll wait to see if the characters I mentioned, as well as the other E4 members appear, before I judge this.
I don't really care that it's MegaZard again, but I look forward to seeing Gengar and Scizor.

Only time will tell (it will likely just be Siebold), but I am put off by the fact that Alan has a Mega Charizard X like Red in Pokemon Origins did, why not Mega Charizard Y instead? Granted it's because Charizard is pretty much one of the "main" Pokemon, but using Charizard X is a bit off-putting, though this is just me nitpicking, I'm fine either way.

I do like how this, along with Pokemon Origins and to a lesser extent the BW2 and Gates to Infinity trailers that TPCi is trying to work more with original animated projects and expand beyond just always focusing on the adventures of Ash and Pikachu all the time.

IKR?

It's really nice/refreshing to see them expanding more (and acting more like an actual animation studio).

I wish they'd do stuff like this a little more often. One of my biggest problems with the show is that PokeWorld has limitless story potential but 95% of the time they just want to focus on Ash-tachi and the TRio as if nothing else is going on in the world...

IKR?

It's really nice/refreshing to see them expanding more (and acting more like an actual animation studio).

I wish they'd do stuff like this a little more often. One of my biggest problems with the show is that PokeWorld has limitless story potential but 95% of the time they just want to focus on Ash-tachi and the TRio as if nothing else is going on in the world...

I wish they'd bring back the Hoso/Chronicles specials. They have such a large cast of characters that they could be using, but aren't.

IKR?

I agree with you, the Pokemon world is so massive and there's so much going on in it that virtually anything is possible, this special is proof that the stories doesn't always have to be Ash and Pikachu all the time and that other trainers exist as well going on their own journeys after their own goals and interests. They set the world up so that any trainer and Pokemon can do anything that's possible (or impossible) and believable, so it's kind of time that they use the near endless potential that the Pokemon world has rather than always looking at just one trainer all the time. For instance, in one place Ash is fighting a gym leader while in another part of the region someone's challenging the Elite Four, and in another place someone is saving the world from a meteor impact. This is a world were anything is possible, and in this special they're showing the potential the Pokemon world has.

I don't know about you, but I consider Pokemon Origins and Strongest Mega Evolution to be OVA's, which is a good head-start into exploring the medium of anime more for the franchise. There are already various different Pokemon manga series, one-shots and ongoing, why not different anime specials and stories as well?

There are already various different Pokemon manga series, one-shots and ongoing, why not different anime specials and stories as well?

Because animation takes more time, work and money--andhas less freedom--than making manga. The manga-kas don't have to worry about budgets, schedules and executive meddling as much as the TV Show's creative staff has to. The reason they went so long without Ash-free specials after the HoSo ones was so that they could put more focus on the Show & Movies (especially since they only had so much money to spend). Or at least that's the vibe I got. And even I have my doubts it really works (Like how the B2W2 promo short was better than most of Best Wishes! :dizzy:)

Though I wish they'd tried making a batch each saga/generation to mix & match characters and give them more stories...

Last edited:
and in this special they're showing the potential the Pokemon world has.
I don't see what is so amazing about three battles between Mega Evolutions. Alan is just doing what Ash could be doing if he had other priorities than collecting badges again with a new team. In fact, Ash is even going to battle Diantha's Gardevoir soon, and the latter might Mega Evolve during the battle. Granted, Ash will most likely lose whereas Alan may win against Siebold, but that's just an arbitrary decision by the writers.

Which is not to say that I disagree that we need to see more animated stories that don't involve Ash. I just don't see the appeal of this particular special.

All I see are complaints with no substantial solutions or alternatives. What the hell do you guys expect. Out of all the Mega Evolutions, Charizard is one of the few that is, I guess you could call it anime-hero-boy-companion-"don't give up!"-can fly too-ish. This show is targeted to a young demographic. That means little boys and girls (mainly boys). Do you think views would be higher with lets say a Mega Heracross attempting to blast things with rocks or seeds? Or a Mega Manetric with an overgrown coat zapping and burning things to death? I for one cannot picture a series where the main character walks around with a Mega Venusaur all day, or a Banette. Garchomp would be cool if it didn't have sickles for hands.

Charizard at this point is the best candidate. It is a well known Pokemon that appeals to most young boys imaginations. Not to mention the writers can have it do a vast array of things with its wide moveset. Causing earthquakes? Throwing wind blades? Harnessing the power of sunlight? A plethora of fire techniques? Usuage of tail as a weapon? Flight based techniques? Physical moves from breaking bricks to slashing with powered up claws? All can be done with Charizard X.

Charizard Y is more special based, thin and aerodynamic; it doesn't radiate the even physical and special capabilities that X does, anime speaking.

Unless you can think of an alternate that would be just as popular and successful as Charizard in this regard (not appealing to the desires of older fans on this forum),then be my guest and voice your reason.

If not, then stop complaining and be appreciative that the writers are apparently going to include every current Mega(as it is the protagonists desire to defeat each one) and that one way or another you will see it battle.

Peopple here are discussing how to make a good series and making a good series is not overuse a single pokemon(Charizard)just because it has a good design.
As for ideas for other main Megas:

*Mega Pinsir: The thing can fly, it has bigass horns, it can take things down with cool physical moves it can use flight based strategies and it is not overused. Would work great.

*Mega Blastoise: The design is better than that of Charizard and Blastoise is almost as well-known. Which ten year old boy does not like a big turtle with big cannons everywhere? It can use both special and physical moves and blast foes apart with those cannons. Good choice.

*Mega Abomasnow: The coolest Mega-design, can use physical and special moves, can summon snowstorms as well as heal itself with Grass type moves. Can be great.

*Mega Heracross: That nose...

You get my point? Charizard is a stupid choice and there is many others who would be great. This is pure overglorifying and overusing a cool pokemon which is already overused.

I agree with Hinokou.

Charizard and Pikachu are amongst the most popular mons therefore the writers/heads of Pokémon will focuse on them a lot, it's simple as that, endless complaining on a forum won't change that.

The fact that they have three battles in this kind of worries me a bit, considering that they're planning on introducing the concept, the character(s), as well as those battles, I'm worried that they may be stuffing a bit too much into this short special. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

I agree with Hinokou.

Charizard and Pikachu are amongst the most popular mons therefore the writers/heads of Pokémon will focuse on them a lot, it's simple as that, endless complaining on a forum won't change that.

That doesn't mean we have to be happy about the situation though. The thing is this is a forum and we can share our opinions positive or negative, it doesn't hurt to talk about why we dislike a direction or choice made in the anime.

Creating a weekly television animated series is risky. If the production committee members are not interested in gathering the money to produce more of Housou or other non-Satoshi-centric specials and series there is nothing that can be done. Pocket Monsters: The Origin is on Blu-ray and DVD in Japan right now. The Satoshi series are produced to advertise the video games primarily. The goal behind The Origin was to promote Mega Evolution while tying it into 1990s nostalgia, but it was still closer to what we adult fans wanted. So what does that mean? The only thing stopping the small number of fans who want more of that sort of work is their own lack of interest. In its first week the DVD and Blu-ray for Pocket Monster: The Origin sold poorly, despite the tender-love-and-care the animation received.Bulbagarden has a huge user base, if each user dropped the cash for the $45 dollar Blu-ray right now you could guarantee it would receive more entries. Hell, just ten thousand units would be enough to secure more.

That Black 2 & White 2 promo had adequate time, good talent and a good budget to be produced. The average Japanese animated television series episode has a budget of about $100,000-300,000 and is usually produced in one-to-three months. Look at how frequently Asada Yuuji and Iwane Masa'aki put out an episode, every five-to-six weeks for three hundred cuts (the animated equivalent of 'shot'). Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was produced on a budget of $180,000-200,000 an episode (mind you it was nothing but talented animators and directors having fun), so most episodes of Pocket Monster probably tap out at about $150,000 if even that. Iwane Masa'aki's episodes are allowed maybe three or four thousand drawings (likely closer to three thousand). Give Iwane six thousand drawings and three months and he could probably create an episode that makes the aforementioned promotional video sweat. Give him the same number of drawings and even more than three months and I'm absolutely confident he could knock it out of the park.

You hit the nail on the head, Yuugis Black Magician :cheers:

If fans really want to see more done with Pokémon in animation besides advertisements starring Ash & Friends, they need to do more to encourage Gamefreak & OLM to make it.

Last edited:
All I see are complaints with no substantial solutions or alternatives. What the hell do you guys expect. Out of all the Mega Evolutions, Charizard is one of the few that is, I guess you could call it anime-hero-boy-companion-"don't give up!"-can fly too-ish. This show is targeted to a young demographic. That means little boys and girls (mainly boys). Do you think views would be higher with lets say a Mega Heracross attempting to blast things with rocks or seeds? Or a Mega Manetric with an overgrown coat zapping and burning things to death? I for one cannot picture a series where the main character walks around with a Mega Venusaur all day, or a Banette. Garchomp would be cool if it didn't have sickles for hands.

Charizard at this point is the best candidate. It is a well known Pokemon that appeals to most young boys imaginations. Not to mention the writers can have it do a vast array of things with its wide moveset. Causing earthquakes? Throwing wind blades? Harnessing the power of sunlight? A plethora of fire techniques? Usuage of tail as a weapon? Flight based techniques? Physical moves from breaking bricks to slashing with powered up claws? All can be done with Charizard X.

Charizard Y is more special based, thin and aerodynamic; it doesn't radiate the even physical and special capabilities that X does, anime speaking.

Unless you can think of an alternate that would be just as popular and successful as Charizard in this regard (not appealing to the desires of older fans on this forum),then be my guest and voice your reason.

If not, then stop complaining and be appreciative that the writers are apparently going to include every current Mega(as it is the protagonists desire to defeat each one) and that one way or another you will see it battle.

Peopple here are discussing how to make a good series and making a good series is not overuse a single pokemon(Charizard)just because it has a good design.

*Mega Pinsir: The thing can fly, it has bigass horns, it can take things down with cool physical moves it can use flight based strategies and it is not overused. Would work great.

*Mega Blastoise: The design is better than that of Charizard and Blastoise is almost as well-known. Which ten year old boy does not like a big turtle with big cannons everywhere? It can use both special and physical moves and blast foes apart with those cannons. Good choice.

*Mega Abomasnow: The coolest Mega-design, can use physical and special moves, can summon snowstorms as well as heal itself with Grass type moves. Can be great.

You get my point? Charizard is a stupid choice and there is many others who would be great. This is pure overglorifying and overusing a cool pokemon which is already overused.

Yeah but I'm sorry. I just don't see them writing a series of specials based on Mega Heracross, Pinsir, and Blastoise. Pinsir looks down right demonic and ugly, Heracross looks too sluggish, and Blastoise is already owned by Siebold.

Anymore candidates?

Yeah but I'm sorry. I just don't see them writing a series of specials based on Mega Heracross, Pinsir, and Blastoise. Pinsir looks down right demonic and ugly, Heracross looks too sluggish, and Blastoise is already owned by Siebold.

Anymore candidates?

Sure. But you missed the Abomasnow.

*Lucario: Do I need to explain this one? But Korrina will probably have it.

*Blaziken: It looks badass. It has these flaming whip things from its arms. It is fast, powerul, canuse physical and special.

There you had some good candidates. And why not trie something new? Pinsir may be ugly but who knows, it might get popular. Or let Alan fight megas with usual pokemons. Anything is better than Zard right now. Except for Pikachu.

Anymore candidates?

Sure. But you missed the Abomasnow.

*Lucario: Do I need to explain this one? But Korrina will probably have it.

*Blaziken: It looks badass. It has these flaming whip things from its arms. It is fast, powerul, canuse physical and special.

There you had some good candidates. And why not trie something new? Pinsir may be ugly but who knows, it might get popular. Or let Alan fight megas with usual pokemons. Anything is better than Zard right now. Except for Pikachu.

Abomasnow falls in the same category as Heracross in terms of being slow, big, bulky, and a moveset that will most likely consist of two types of moves. Besides no one wants to see a battle where Snow Warning is whipped up 24/7 or battles in which its Ability is ignored (yet again).

Lucario is overused: Maylene, Riley, Cameron, and soon to be Korrina who will undoubtedly Mega-Evolve it. So that's an unlikely no there too.

I can see Blaziken. I actually agree with that. It kicking or punching things in the face (a la Ash's Monferno) would be pretty epic, with the occasional fire.

This is the TV Tokyo summary, translated by Adamant.

A new protagonist makes his debut! A young man named Alan journeys ever onward in an attempt to master Mega Evolution, engaging in intense battles between mega evolved Pokémon using his partner Lizardon!
Also, even more extravagant giveaways this week too!

Summary:
Mega Evolution: A new form of evolution first introduced in the Kalos region. However, is Mega Evolution something all Pokémon are capable of? This story is centered around a young Trainer named Alan and his partner Lizardon. "To master Mega Evolution, to defeat all mega evolved Pokémon and stand on top as the strongest": That is the goal of Alan's journey.

As they travel around, Alan and Lizardon engage in a Mega Evolution Battle against a Mega Absol and a Mega Gablias. And then, they battle Zumi of the Elite Four. Does Zumi have a mega evolved Pokémon as well...? Why is Alan so obsessed with Mega Evolution? And what is the true purpose of Alan's journey?

Voice Cast:
Kensho Ono: Alan
Mikako Komatsu: Manon
Miyuu Sawai: Ayaka
Koichi Yamadera: Louis
Hiroyuki Yoshino: Zumi
Hiroshi Tsuchida: Platane
Hideaki Tezuka: Narration

However, is Mega Evolution something all Pokémon are capable of?
If this is a question that will be properly addressed, then this special may actually be interesting. I doubt it, though.

"To master Mega Evolution, to defeat all mega evolved Pokémon and stand on top as the strongest": That is the goal of Alan's journey.

[...] And what is the true purpose of Alan's journey?
I don't know if they're being redundant or not. I'll remain skeptical that Alan actually has a "true purpose" beyond becoming the strongest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom