• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Battle League: Season 1 [CLOSED]

Re: Bulbagarden Battle League: Season 1 [OPEN]

What could be done is a massive OU tournament, with group stages, elimination rounds and that kind of stuff. But I don't see a non-monotype format in the Gym/E4 paradigm

The only way I could see it working would be as a post-E4 "Champion" of sorts. Either a champion from a previous Season or the most recent champion from the current Season, "defending their title" and using the team they beat the Elite Four with - which would honestly be pretty interesting, assuming anyone who's beaten the Elite Four has the time and desire to fill such a role.

What could be done is a massive OU tournament, with group stages, elimination rounds and that kind of stuff. But I don't see a non-monotype format in the Gym/E4 paradigm
Yeah we're making some headway on that thanks to BAK's tournaments :D Just finished my game with X Dragoon so we'll be facing off one again :p
The only way I could see it working would be as a post-E4 "Champion" of sorts. Either a champion from a previous Season or the most recent champion from the current Season, "defending their title" and using the team they beat the Elite Four with - which would honestly be pretty interesting, assuming anyone who's beaten the Elite Four has the time and desire to fill such a role.
We've considered it but the logistics of implementing a non-gym leader can be a bit unwieldy. The league also caters towards newer battlers so it could get a bit intimidating for them to have to play alongside more experienced players who would vie for the Champion spot.

EDIT: Oh and since I missed this.
Do a Bug E4 member next season :D
We actually hold a tournament between the gym leaders to decide who gets to be in the Elite 4. :D Really riveting matches too, I'm curious to see who it'll be next season.

Last edited:

I finally got my 3DS and Y! I can now take on the BBL. Can someone point me in the right direction?

You can start by seeing which gym leaders (list is on the OP) are online and available (I'm not at the moment) and then request a challenge.

SIGN ME UP AS A CHALLENGER TOO
is this how we test gym leaders
by having them challenge gym leaders
is that how it works
is it
FC: 2809 8767 4033

SIGN ME UP AS A CHALLENGER TOO
is this how we test gym leaders
by having them challenge gym leaders
is that how it works
is it
FC: 2809 8767 4033
Welcome aboard! Yes we're having any and all gym applicants play through the season so that we can evaluate how well they fit into the role of a gym leader. Good luck! (Can I have your trainer name as well too?)
Okay, thanks! Got it!

Official Entry:
Username: Wild Jr.
In Game Name: Wild Jr
3DS FC: 3540-0923-8026
Welcome back :D I've added you to the roster and it seems you've been sufficiently pointed, so best of luck!

I'd like to apply for the Ghost gym leader position. I didn't apply sooner since I didn't know if I could make the necessary time commitment towards being a gym leader. However it's looking more likely that I will have time this summer to do this, so I'll throw my hat in the ring.

The Normal and Grass gym leader positions also interest me.

Last edited:

@MachDragonX thanks for the interest, I'll add you to our applicants.

@superbobbobbob3 @Alexey @ambiiguous @Squirtle Shades @I400
Thank you all for your interest in applying as gym leaders but if you could please limit your application to 1 gym (or maybe a 2nd gym that's less priority). I understand if you have no preference for a gym but it'd make the process easier and more fair since spots are limited. Thanks :)

Everybody has applied for Ghost. I want to do a Ghost monotype team too, but I have no need to be a gym leader to do so. I therefore do not apply for Ghost. If I apply for the Ghost, I will just end up battling for Ghost, while other gym spots will remain vacant. Well, they probably won't, but it is still a possibility!

Now, to Grass and Normal. I know exactly what I am going to do with a Normal monotype team, and I have absolutely no idea how am I going to pull off a Grass monotype team. This should be rectified

I therefore apply for Grass, with Normal being the second priority

On an unrelated note, I don't challenge the E4 members because I can't remember what exactly am I locked into. A shame, I know ><

For Me, it would be Normal Gym I want most. I mean, Dunsparce is my favorite pokemon, and he is normal :) .

@Alexey you can ask an E4 member you have currently defeated to verify your lineup :)

It's not about the Pokes, it's about the movesets. I sometimes change them without changing the Pokemon themselves, and I know for a fact that I did that with about a half of the pokemon I used. The only way to figure the moves out would be to go through all my gym and E4 (effectively, @Lunacy; :D) battle videos. And that is so painful and time-consuming that it's just not worth it

It's not about the Pokes, it's about the movesets. I sometimes change them without changing the Pokemon themselves, and I know for a fact that I did that with about a half of the pokemon I used. The only way to figure the moves out would be to go through all my gym and E4 (effectively, @Lunacy; :D) battle videos. And that is so painful and time-consuming that it's just not worth it

Following In-Game I'm sure move changing can be done. I changed minor moves myself between my badge wins.

Following In-Game I'm sure move changing can be done. I changed minor moves myself between my badge wins.

No, move changes are illegal. That also means that if you've own since changing your moves you have to give up those badges. :/

Yeah, Section "League", rule number 3

"Upon winning your first badge, your lineup of 9 Pokémon cannot be changed. This includes changing natures, Abilities, items, moves, EVs/IVs, etc. on any member of your team."

And the only clarification (which was, tbh, a slight altertaion of the rule, because "as is" it requires that all 9 pokes have to be defined prior to the very first gym battle) was concerning the issue of 3 extra Pokemon

Checking in to say I'm relieved to see the end-date for the season in the OP is still nearly two months out! I've taken entirely too long to put a team together for this but I think I've settled on something (mostly UU, but all my teams end up that way). I have a little breeding to finish but should be ready to start challenging Gym Leaders within a couple days.

All that to say, I'm working on it. :p

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom