• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tech Help thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolce

Patron Saint of Nightmares
Reaction score
Here you can post to give or receive advice on any technological issues, be it connecting a device to wifi, console problems, specific input on which exact gadget to buy or anything else of the sort - though please note that anything concerning your own created content online - external blogs, for example - is better suited to Multimedia Creations. Think of this as a place to choose the right piece of tech for your needs or solve your problems with it rather than somewhere to discuss your own created content itself.

Other than that, feel free to get asking should you need to!

General Helpful Advice:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Uninstall & re-install?
System Restore?
Google'd the error code?
Have you tried letting it's battery drain then giving it a full charge before usage?
Check the wire, cartridge or other removable objects from your appliance for dust, mold, water-damage and other things that may affect performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering buying a DS and i have a few questions about its connectivity features. I can't find any of the answers on product descriptions pages anywhere.

Does it have two game slots? And if so-

-Is it possible to trade pokemon using two carts (of the same gen), one DS and one game memory card?

-Is it possible to transfer pokemon using two carts (gen 4 to gen 5), one DS and one game memory card?

How does the DS connect to the Wii (specifically Battle Revolution)? Does the Wii need internet access for this or can they link directly using wifi - and if so how would i activate it?

I have a question about buying content from the Nintendo eShop. When the pokemon bank becomes available, I plan on paying for the yearly subscription. Is this simply a matter of entering my credit card information on the nintendo website, or do I have to enter a balance on my account, through my 3DS? I have never bought anything from the eShop, and was just curious. Thanks

I'm considering buying a DS and i have a few questions about its connectivity features. I can't find any of the answers on product descriptions pages anywhere.

Does it have two game slots? And if so-

-Is it possible to trade pokemon using two carts (of the same gen), one DS and one game memory card?

Just to be sure by DS do you mean the original DS phat, and DS lite? Because these are the only two DS systems that use more than one game slot, past the DSi age they got rid of the second slot entirely. But to answer your question no it's not possible with games older than X and Y since apparently Pokemon Bank allows transfers between cartridges.

-Is it possible to transfer pokemon using two carts (gen 4 to gen 5), one DS and one game memory card?

You will need two systems to transfer between gen 4 to 5.

How does the DS connect to the Wii (specifically Battle Revolution)? Does the Wii need internet access for this or can they link directly using wifi - and if so how would i activate it?

Sorry I can't provide an answer here, I don't have the game. :(

I have a question about buying content from the Nintendo eShop. When the pokemon bank becomes available, I plan on paying for the yearly subscription. Is this simply a matter of entering my credit card information on the nintendo website, or do I have to enter a balance on my account, through my 3DS? I have never bought anything from the eShop, and was just curious. Thanks

Well for all your eShop purchases you can use your card, or used prepaid cards. The way prepaid cards work is you get them in store, and simply scratch off the back of the card for a code which you can enter under add funds in the eshop itself. From there it gives you the option to redeem a prepaid card, and that's where you would enter the code.

Just like adding codes, you can go to add funds in the eshop then use the alternate option of using a credit card. Now the thing here is you can add a specific amount like $10, $20, $50, $100. Then you select what type of card, enter your information and iirc it has you set a password but once you get that done you should be all set. Though just to note the password they have you set is so that no purchases would be made without your knowledge and all that jazz.

Hope this helps! :D

YouTube Error. I've tried everything.

Subject line says it all. For the past week, every time I've tried to watch a video on YouTube, I get an error message within a few minutes. I've entered on the button below that opens a new window with the information on the error, and have tried literally everything they suggested to get rid of the problem. My browser automatically updates to the current version, I made doubly sure I had the latest version of Adobe Flash, there were no other tabs open, JavaScript is enabled by default, I cleared my cache, and IE loaded a 45-second video ridiculously slowly, and navigating around the player was annoyingly slow with my Screen-Reader. In short, I'm at my wit's end. This topic didn't seem to fit anywhere else, so I'm putting it here. Does anyone have advice they could give? Is YouTube just being a pain in everybody's behinds or is there something else I could try to make this better?
Edit: Did not know this thread existed. These forums are so large and the "Technology" part of the heading of this section completely escaped my notice. My apologies, and thanks to the moderator who moved it over here.

Last edited:
Have you tried using a different browser?
Yes, as I mentioned above, I tried watching it through Internet explorer, but it was taking ages to load even at almost midnight, and navigating around the player was slow as well. I'll try again later, but I was getting used to watching the videos on Firefox and I don't know what the problem is if I've done everything else. The error is indiscriminate. Every video I try to watch never gets past three minutes before it pops up, if it's that long, and prevents me from replaying if it isn't because the player freezes up.

Edit: Just tested it. It works on Internet explorer, but even though I can see every video I watched in Firefox in my History section, nothing I watched while using IE shows up when I check that page in either browser. I'm thinking YouTube's on the fritz right now.

Last edited:
Have you tried using a different browser?
Yes, as I mentioned above, I tried watching it through Internet explorer, but it was taking ages to load even at almost midnight, and navigating around the player was slow as well. I'll try again later, but I was getting used to watching the videos on Firefox and I don't know what the problem is if I've done everything else. The error is indiscriminate. Every video I try to watch never gets past three minutes before it pops up, if it's that long, and prevents me from replaying if it isn't because the player freezes up.

Edit: Just tested it. It works on Internet explorer, but even though I can see every video I watched in Firefox in my History section, nothing I watched while using IE shows up when I check that page in either browser. I'm thinking YouTube's on the fritz right now.

Ok, let's try a few more things then. You mentioned you cleared your Cache, but have you cleared ALL the private data? Tried firing up Firefox on Safe mode? Ran a scan with something like MalwareBytes (doubt it's the cause, but it's always good to do these scans anyway)? Re-installing Flash while making sure that nothing else is running?

EDIT: Also, if these don't work, can you get me screenshots of the problem? Helps a fair bit!

Last edited:
I just cleared my cookies and the problem was solved. Thanks for the tips anyways! I really appreciated them. :D

Last edited:
Alright, so, just after Christmas I got a new gaming laptop that runs windows 8. Pre-installed on it currently is SRS Premium Sound HD, and while it does greatly improve my sound quality, I've been having an issue with it I've been trying to resolve that just ended screwing up my whole sound system: It started when I was listening to music on youtube and noticed that the volume would randomly start to get really high, forcing me to fiddle with the volume constantly to prevent it from blowing my eardrums out, it happened again with one of my games; every time a sound effect was played, the music got really loud, but when I reduced my volume, I couldn't hear anything when the volume went back to normal. I went into sound options and found the options for the SRS, but by the time I fixed it, another problem came in the fact that some songs, such as Terra's Theme from FFIX (Great Game BTW, I have it on PS3) had a warped pinging in some of the instruments when they were played staccato or at a certain pitch, which never happened or was just too unnoticeable on my old computer (Runs Win7 BTW). Reducing the level of bass enhancement did help a little, but it rendered most of the audio muted sounding. Now I'm in a snag, I reset SRS to the default factory setting, and it's not bad (Though because my ear was so accustomed to the enhanced sound, it sounds really muted), but what I really need is to find a way to balance it so that it sounds clear, but I don't get that pinging. Would anyone with some experience with these sort of things be able to help me with this? BTW: As far as I know, the only difference in sound between my old computer and this one is that program, other then that all the sound programs are identical and in the same settings. Also, this only appears to be affecting music, since I've watched a couple other videos and they sound exactly the same.
Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a 3DS XL that I want to connect to the internet, BUT my wireless router doesn't seem compatible with it. Someone on a tech forum suggested I change my router settings by going to router's homepage BUT I lost the password and can't get in.

Would it be possible to buy a new router and it would work straight away, without having to call my internet provider? I have been thinking of getting a new router anyway, but I hate talking to people on the phone.

Thanks in advance

I have a 3DS XL that I want to connect to the internet, BUT my wireless router doesn't seem compatible with it. Someone on a tech forum suggested I change my router settings by going to router's homepage BUT I lost the password and can't get in.

Would it be possible to buy a new router and it would work straight away, without having to call my internet provider? I have been thinking of getting a new router anyway, but I hate talking to people on the phone.

Thanks in advance

I think that would depend on the type of router you choose to buy. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

But as for the password on your router, and losing it. Maybe you could look it up? Routers tend to have generic passwords from my experience. But I've only really fiddled with one router, so I'm not certain if it'll work for you but it doesn't hurt to look it up.

My laptop won't connect via its own wireless adapter nor through a store bought USB adapter. I tried to use the wireless configuration thingy and even that doesn't work. I've tried about anything I could find online and I can't get it to work. Do I need to replace any hardware or is there something I can do?
Update: I got it to identify the router but it tells me there's bad connection, no matter if I use the regular adapter or the store bought

Last edited:
3DS Data Usage

I'm a college student with terrible Wifi in my dorm. My new cell phone plan allows for tethering, but I pay overages if I exceed 4GB per month. I can't find an answer online so I'm hoping someone wiser than I can tell me. How much data do you think a Gen VI battle online would use? I'm certain I could make it work, but don't want to be wrong and drown myself in fees.

Swapping Out or Upgrading My PS3 Controller's Battery?

I was just wondering if it was possible to upgrade/swap out the older battery for a newer one with more "life/hours"?

If yes, please tell me what specific battery I should be shopping for, I'm still a newb/novice at this stuff.

Re: Swapping Out or Upgrading My PS3 Controller's Battery?

I was just wondering if it was possible to upgrade/swap out the older battery for a newer one with more "life/hours"?

If yes, please tell me what specific battery I should be shopping for, I'm still a newb/novice at this stuff.

I merged your thread here because it's for any technology help really, no need for an individual thread. :p

But according to my brother you can swap out the battery just fine, you'll just need to get a replacement battery that specifies it's for the ps3. I'd recommend checking out Amazon or any online store you trust.

I need help (again). I have an Enhanced CD and when I want it to play on my computer it doesn't work. Not just the Enhanced part, but the music isn't playing for some reason. Every other kind of program works on my DVD-ROM and the Enhanced CD works on all CD reading devices but mine. What can I do?

I screwed up and need computer help. :(

(Posting this from my phone)

Okay, so I tried installing a 3ds emulator onto my PC. (This was probably my first mistake) Long story short there was an issue with the BIOS and I couldn't get it running, so I deleted all the files and what not that I downloaded and just forgot about the whole thing. However, today when I opened up IE I got a notification saying "There was a problem C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicToolbar\datamngr\apcrtldr.dll" along with my Home Page changed and pop-up ads literally everywhere. Most are telling me to update some dumb video player I don't own or they're just typical scams. It's making my computer almost impossible to use and I don't no how to fix it. I've tried looking it up but the cleansing softwares have only led to more problems. If you know what I can do to fix the issue, please help.

~Flitter

(I also tried getting a Pokemon X rom downloaded, which also could've caused the issues)

Re: I screwed up and need computer help. :(

(Posting this from my phone)

Okay, so I tried installing a 3ds emulator onto my PC. (This was probably my first mistake) Long story short there was an issue with the BIOS and I couldn't get it running, so I deleted all the files and what not that I downloaded and just forgot about the whole thing. However, today when I opened up IE I got a notification saying "There was a problem C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicToolbar\datamngr\apcrtldr.dll" along with my Home Page changed and pop-up ads literally everywhere. Most are telling me to update some dumb video player I don't own or they're just typical scams. It's making my computer almost impossible to use and I don't no how to fix it. I've tried looking it up but the cleansing softwares have only led to more problems. If you know what I can do to fix the issue, please help.

~Flitter

(I also tried getting a Pokemon X rom downloaded, which also could've caused the issues)
I'd just nuke format the PC and reinstall Windows.
But if you don't wanna do that, try fixing it using Spybot Search and Destroy: Spybot - Search & Destroy from Safer-Networking Ltd.

3DS vs 2DS

Hi

I currently own an Ice-White Nintendo 3DS.

I was just wondering on people's opinions about the 2DS over the 3DS. I was considering maybe switching for these reasons, so unless you can help me find a solution, which if so would be great, I would like to know what you think.

The main issues I am having with the 3DS is that:

▪ The Screens are getting way too greasy way too quickly, which is sort of ruining the crisp, nice clean feel; especially when the console is bright white!

▪ I am worried about the hinge on the screen, as when I play the 3DS on the bus, our bus has like zero suspension (it is an old airport shuttle bus), and I live in one of the most rural areas of the county I live in, so the screen is flapped about manically each day. In my experience, the hinge is one of the first pieces to go.

▪ The battery life is awful! I went out last night with the console fully charged at around 7pm. I was not playing it constantly, but by 11pm it was dead. We reckon that it had only stayed charged for just under three hours. Now, my research says that the battery life should be, in 3D gaming, between 3.5 and 5.5 hours. I did not have the 3D on for 90% of the time, so it should not have dropped this badly right? Since I travel for over three hours on a bus to and from college each day, this is barely lasting me. Since the 2DS does not have the 3D option, it might last longer?

▪ When you play original DS (lite/i) cartridges on the system, the graphics are not very crisp, and are quite blurry (due to the downscaling of the graphics) especially when in comparison to the DSi, which has roughly the same size (not ratio) screens, so it should not be that bad (you can fix it if you hold select when booting a game, but this makes the entire game screen about 1.5" across, which unless you have X-Ray Vision, is difficult to read).

The only thing I am worried about is if the 2DS does not perform as well as the 3DS does, if none of my 3DS Cartridges will function on it (they save a lot of stuff to the SD right?), and I want to avoid doing a system transfer cause I will still use this console anyway.

I just don't want to go blowing over £100 on a new console if it is not going to be any better than what I have now. As it is, it seems really unnecessary to have basically two of the same console, and there is other things I could spend the money on if it is a pointless upgrade. I love my 3DS but it is just the battery life that is really bothering me, as you cant go out without taking the charger, which then also gets broken after a while of being in pockets or bags. If there is an alternative to buying a new console, then I would very much appreciate to hear what your opinions are!

Cheers,

A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom