• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

I think Valerie is one of the Kimono Girls. The game even mentions she is from Johto

Last edited:
- Both tales of Kyurem's origins are true in the Unova region. The original dragon that would split into the Tao trio was a powerful extraterrestrial dragon that arrived to the world in an icy meteor with its landing site being the Giant Chasm. Later it would befriend the two heroes to (officially) create the Unova region by uniting its lands and people. When the two heroes fought and the dragon split into three Kyurem went back to the giant chasm angry and resentful of its current state but hopeful that it can one day be whole again.

- Charizardite X is an artificial mega stone made by an ancient trainer who after the discovery of Charizardite Y was made was pissed that Charizard doesn't become a dragon type. So the trainer took matters into his/her hands and created the stone to fulfill the dream of a dragon type Charizard with great physical strength. Mega Charizard Y is the normal mega evolution of Charizard as it resembles the original form the most and capitalizes on the original Charizard's best attributes like most other mega evolutions.

- There are fewer Kalos specific species because of AZ firing the ultimate weapon caused an extinction event that completely wiped out several species from the world. The ones we have today were the ones who survived the event.

- Genesect fossils are extremely rare (even compared to other fossils) or are very difficult to distinguish from regular rocks but still exist and are waiting for a trainer to find and resurrect them as the originally were.

- There used to be a Lugia at the sea spirits den but has left a long time ago for unknown reasons but has left one of the legendary birds to watch over its home. Unfortunately said bird didn't stay in the den and wandered off and was eventually seen.

- The chamber of emptiness was or is another portal for Giratina to enter our world but has been left unused for a very long time as Giratina has less business in the Kalos region.

- Humans learned martial arts from fighting type pokemon and classified those pokemon after what humans had named the fighting styles they learned from them.

- In addition Sawk and Throh don't wear clothes that look like our gis. We wear gis that look like Sawk and Throh clothes.

- The victory road is different in the Johto games from the Kanto ones because some idiot went off course and disturbed a Tyranitar which went on a rampage and demolished most of the victory road.

- There are fewer Kalos specific species because of AZ firing the ultimate weapon caused an extinction event that completely wiped out several species from the world.
That... makes a lot of sense, actually. I wish I had thought of it.

While I think Pokemon Conquest is its own universe (full of trainers with powers like N), I think the original gym system was founded in Kanto/Johto, and is based on a system similar to Pokemon Conquest. Each major city/settlement had a ruling War lord, who's clan specialized in a specific type of Pokemon. Each of the kingdoms fought each other relentlessly for control, until the land was split into two factions--Johto in the West, and Kanto in the East. After decades of war between the two sides, it was decided that this bloodshed was pointless, and eventually, the two regions decided on a solution.
  • To maintain the peace, both sides would offer two representatives as ruling bodies of their regions, providing the basis of the Elite 4
  • Since the two regions were still far too big to govern by four individuals, each of these four generals had four other individuals maintain the peach in their region. This provided the basis of the 8 gym leaders per region
  • Since the ruling body consisted of an equal number of war lords from each region, it was decided that they would need a single ruler. However, to make things fair, it was decided that this person could be anyone from either region, and would have to beat each leader from each region, as well as the four ruling generals and the current "King".
  • Eventually, this system of governance was replaced, but was kept around as a competition of sorts, to foster good relations amongst the Kanto and Johto natives.

And then everyone totally forgot about Sevii Island representation, and the islanders were basically governed under Kanto law and that's why the people there seem to hold a bit of animosity towards the mainlanders.

You know that Parcel you delivered to Oak, in the beginning of RBY and FRLG, he mentioned it was a special Poke Ball, it was the GS Ball

-when 2 pokemon versions are released they are in alternate dimensions and sometimes cross over in the sequels. Reason is that in BW/BW2 someone mentions in Opelucid City that in an alternate dimension they feel that the city lives in the past/future. Same can be said for black city and white forest.

-N is a zoroark/ not as evolved as the rest of the human race due to all humans were once Pokemon. There has been some theory videos but I've never been satisfied by them. The fact that he can talk to Pokemon, is called the child of Pokemon and his zoroark in BW2 appears and is able to talk to Hugh's sister makes me winder if it was him, as he only has the mascot legendary on his team when he battles you which seems odd to me. I'm more so leaning towards that he is not as evolved as the rest of the human race.

-You can have multiple legendaries in the Pokemon world as each game is in it's own timeline/dimension. This is due to how Palkia and Dialga was portrayed in the movie. This is also the reason you can battle your friends/strangers who also have the same legendary as you. Or that Arceus created many more legendaries.

-Lysandre is a fallen hero (due to the following) and every character in Pokemon is manipulated by destiny. This is due to how desperate Lysandre seemed for you to chose the button to disarm the ultimate weapon, desperately hoping his destiny is wrong and he won't end up committing something that he really doesn't want (hence why he cries) and which is why you always have to fight the Teams even if you agree with them. (Like in Black and White, you may agree with N but you have no choice in the matter)

Kanto, Johto, Sevii, Hoenn, Shinnoh, and Almia all form part of Poke-Japan. Unova is a state of Pokemerica, and Kalos is a nickname for Poke-France.

If the region is based on a particular place in real life, then that local language version of names are the canonic names. This applies to both existing and future regions. Thus:
The original Japanese names for any Poke-Japanese person/place.
The English names for people/places from Unova.
The French names for people/places from Kalos.

Exceptions, however, do apply.
Machisu and Lt Surge are both canon, with the gym leaders name being Lieutenant Matthius Surge. (Machisu is the Japanese corruption of Matthias.)
While her last name isn't stated, Melissa is the first name, and Fantina is her middle name for Shinnoh's Ghost gym leader.
Isshu was used by people and documents in pre-1945 Poke-Japan. After that, everyone in the Pokemon world (inc the Poke-Japanese) refers to the Poke-US state as Unova.

I think this was said a couple pages ago, but Pokemon do NOT say their names. That's just stupid. They make animalistic noises that resemble their in-game cry. This is particularly solidified in x and y, when Pokemon have different cry variations for their various emotions in amie. Oh, and the fact that pikachu says its name in-game? No. Just no. I hope they do away with that.

Going off the things people were saying about Pokemon as food or not as food, I see no reason the Pokemon world shouldn't be like ours in that regard. There are people who breed chickens as pets. People breed chickens for eggs. People breed chickens for more chickens. People breed chickens for food. I see no reason why a Taurus ranch can't be for making burgers. Fishing for aquatic Pokemon is also a thing. Basculin's dex entry even says it's delicious. However, I think just like our world, people rely more on other people to create and mass-produce their food, rather than to go kill it themselves. Just like I would go to the store and buy a package of meat, Red would go to the store and buy a package of ground Tauros-beef. Someone else raised the Tauros, and sells it to stores and stuff.

Oh, last one. The pokedex. I think the sizes may supposed to be "average," but something is seriously messed up with that... Aside from the sizes though, I think the pokedex entries themselves are not so much "facts" about Pokemon (well, some are, like how stunky uses its stench or how parasect's mushroom is used for medicine), but a lot of them are just well-known stories, like... Banette. It's not ACTUALLY a doll, but someone once made up that a banette is a possessed doll, and now it's like a well-known thing. Kind of like... When we say that elephants have good memories. Eh, maybe not, that could probably be proven... Ok, here's one: think of the stork story. As a child, you're told that storks bring babies to people. It's very well known. But do storks actually carry babies around? Of course not. Likewise, people associate banette with being a possessed doll, even though they know fully-well that it is not true.

So, that's what I've got.

Personally, I like to believe that in the Hoenn arc, Wally eventually died as a result of his sickness only a few years after the protagonist became Champion. However, he lived a beautiful, fulfilling life with his Gardevoir. It was all worth it.

I think this was said a couple pages ago, but Pokemon do NOT say their names. That's just stupid. They make animalistic noises that resemble their in-game cry. This is particularly solidified in x and y, when Pokemon have different cry variations for their various emotions in amie. Oh, and the fact that pikachu says its name in-game? No. Just no. I hope they do away with that.
I've always been of the opinion that most pokemon do say their names... sorta. Moreso the other way around: If people and pokemon have coexisted for thousands of years, then pokemon surely impacted the early formation of human languages. Thus, pokemon aren't consciously saying their names, but rather many pokemon were given names that sound like their cries. Some pokemon have "punny" names, Charmander for instance ("char" + "salamander") not as a goofy gimmick but because that pokemon's existence influenced the formation of the words ("char" and "salamander" in this example) associated with their traits.

So Pikachu isn't telling you its name, we just named it after the sound it most commonly makes.

Pokémon League:
  • The Pokémon League is a subsidiary of the Pokémon Association, an organization backed by the Pokémon nation's government. [Taken from the Pokémon Adventures manga.]
  • 10-11 is not the standard starting age for trainers; the game protagonists of that age were able to start that young due to natural talent. Most trainers actually start at 16-21, depending on their region.
  • The regional Leagues, while seen as separate, are in fact merely subsections of the larger Pokémon League, and all official victory badges are valid in any region.
  • There are many more gyms than are shown in the games. Kanto, for instance, has at least thirty-two official gyms. That said, most regional competitions only require a minimum of eight badges for entry—the eight "main" gyms of each region are the most commonly challenged because their cities are arranged in a fairly convenient path.
  • The assembly of the original Orange Crew in 1699 predates the founding of the modern Pokémon League by 147 years. To this day, the Orange League refuses to conform to standard League competition conventions and is thus often considered a separate entity, rendering its victory badges invalid in most other regions.
  • League challengers do not go directly from badge-collecting to the Elite Four—a preliminary tournament is held to select worthy opponents.
  • The Pokémon World Tournament is an Olympics-style competition divided into multiple categories which accommodate trainers, coordinators and Pokéathletes.
Technology:
  • The Pokédex is used not only for encyclopedic description of individual Pokémon species, but also analysis of an individual Pokémon's statistics. By scanning a Pokémon's physical condition, the device can return approximations of its capabilities, presented in numerical form using the stat system.
  • The patent on the modern Poké Ball is held by the Pokémon League itself, and the basic design is licensed out to manufacturers like Silph and Devon. Old-fashioned Poké Ball smiths such as Kurt are urged to base their specialty balls on the modern design, for the sake of standardization, and must also obtain a license.
  • The trading machine is used to legally affirm trades, so traded Pokémon are not mistaken for stolen Pokémon. In addition, trade-induced evolution is caused by a unique type of radiation emitted from inside the machine. Occasionally, evolution will only occur if this radiation interacts with a specific held item. Other times, a held item—namely the Everstone—will cancel out the radiation and avert evolution.
  • The Dubious Disc is not so much "dubious" as it is "experimental"—Silph did license its creation, but was not directly involved, and so the developer, unaccustomed to the Porygon software, ended up producing a buggy update.
  • Bill abandoned the Time Capsule project after test runs with Johto-native Pokémon resulted in the accidental discovery of extradimensional Pokémon. Because they were discovered through a glitch in the system, they are sometimes colloquially called "glitch Pokémon".
Biology:
  • Pokémon are creatures that evolved in the wild for high-intensity combat over food, territory and mates. Because even young Pokémon are built for this brutal lifestyle, pregnancy is simply impractical—the unborn offspring's involuntary thrashing and, potentially, energy discharges would tear the mother's internal organs apart. Thus, most Pokémon lay eggs, the shells of which are firm enough to withstand such punishment until the offspring is mature enough to hatch. The exceptions are usually legendary Pokémon, whose bodies are much stronger than more common species' and capable of holding fast against an offspring's assault. Because such Pokémon's reproduction systems are so different, trainers are currently at a loss for how to breed them.
  • So-called "baby" Kangaskhan are not babies at all, but overall harmless parasites. Unable to reproduce on their own, they use Kangaskhan to replenish their population, which is why Kangaskhan are born with "babies" already in their pouches. This has been going on so long that the two species are never seen apart anymore, and the absorption of Kangaskhan DNA over such a long period of time has rendered the parasites almost genetically identical to their hosts. Because of this, the two species are generally considered one and the same today.

More to come at a later date.

I have a good and logical one:
-Mewtwo's Mega Stones were created by the scientist who made him, as they new that it would make it the strongest Pokemon and it is (highest base stat total of all pokemon, 780). The reason that you get the mega stone from Mewtwo as well as he has been found with it outside Kalos with it is because he stole it when he destroyed the lab he was made in so he could protect himself when in extreme danger.

So we have this as word of god:

We think of it as a place that is really similar to Earth, but is a different planet of its own with people in it who may be similar to people on Earth, but they have different values so they care about different things. It's the type of place, the Pokémon world, where problems we face on Earth just wouldn't happen. There wouldn't be global warming, water shortages, or anything like that. It's a world where the people in it really want to work together with each other. Their value system is such where they would prefer to work together and eliminate these problems rather than feud.

I'd like to think that it's because of Pokemon that this is possible- that by learning to get along with hundreds of different species of varying sentience levels and mindsets that humans got better at dealing with each other in general.

And then we have Lysandre

It's the type of place, the Pokémon world, where problems we face on Earth just wouldn't happen. There wouldn't be global warming, water shortages, or anything like that.

"Even though resources, space, and energy on this planet are limited, the number of people and Pokémon has increased to an unsustainable level. Whether it's money or energy, the ones who steal are the ones who win in this world."

Energy problems, loss of resources, overpopulation? Sounds like real world problems to me.

Their value system is such where they would prefer to work together and eliminate these problems rather than feud.

"But conflicting egos drive this world--things don't always go the way you want!...When there is only one of something, it can't be shared. When something can't be shared, it will be fought over. And when something is fought over, some must survive without it. The only way to create a world where people live in beauty, a world without conflict or theft, is to reduce the number of living things"

And it's not just Lysandre's delusion considering there was an entire war in Kalos, not to mention Gen V's entire plot was based on a conflict between two brothers on how the world should be run

"One day, however... The twin heroes, the older brother who sought the truth, and the younger brother who sought ideals, began to argue about how to decide which one of them was right... The single Dragon-type Pokémon that had been with them all that time split its body into two. One sided with the older brother, and the other with the younger brother." "Because the two of them were once the same entity, their battle raged endlessly and neither one could be declared the winner. They simply exhausted themselves. The twin heroes proclaimed that there was no one side that was right and ceased the conflict."
And this was around the time-frame of that interview, so this is why I question anything Masuda says in interviews regarding Pokemon world canon. It's like he makes shit up on the spot disregarding any existing lore.

Last edited:
Butterfree v. Venomoth. Yes, that old thing. It's obvious that Butterfree's design is basically Venonat with wings, and Venomoth does have Caterpie eyes. So, logically speaking, if it wasn't a design mistake grandfathered into the series it must be a deliberate switch that was made during development.

So what headcanon do I make of it? How does this apply to headcanon? Well, for a (Mystery Dungeon based) story there was an ... incident between the two species that is the subject of some controversy. Nobody knows for sure just what happened, but it's passed into legend and become a stock figure of speech. (As in, one character's mood is likened to "trying to arbitrate a Venomoth v. Butterfree dispute".)

After seeing the Smash trailer, my new head cannon about Greninja is that it can actually form many types of weapons out of water, it's just that water shurikens are the simplest weapons it can make. As ridiculous as compressing water sounds, its actually a thing, and there are up to 15 different types of ice that are formed from compressed water (not necessarily frozen water). I imagine that Greninja's water-based weapons are made of this type of ice, but when the shuriken are thrown, they start to decompress, and that's why it looks like its surrounded by water in official images.

- Humans learned martial arts from fighting type pokemon and classified those pokemon after what humans had named the fighting styles they learned from them.

- In addition Sawk and Throh don't wear clothes that look like our gis. We wear gis that look like Sawk and Throh clothes.
These make perfect sense to me. If you believe that Conkeldurr taught humans how to make concrete, then it would make sense that some humans learned new fighting styles from Fighting type Pokemon. And the idea that humans are wearing mock-ups of a Sawk's clothing also makes sense, as in ancient times some people wore the skins of animals to gain their strength; the same could have been done in the Pokemon world.

I had never thought of these but they work beautifully. Well done.

After seeing the Smash trailer, my new head cannon about Greninja is that it can actually form many types of weapons out of water, it's just that water shurikens are the simplest weapons it can make. As ridiculous as compressing water sounds, its actually a thing, and there are up to 15 different types of ice that are formed from compressed water (not necessarily frozen water). I imagine that Greninja's water-based weapons are made of this type of ice, but when the shuriken are thrown, they start to decompress, and that's why it looks like its surrounded by water in official images.

While I agree with you about how Greninja can probably make more types of weapons(it even looks like he's using blades in one of his attacks during the trailer), your link seems to say that ice forms at different temperatures depending on the pressure. That is to say, it's still frozen water, it just froze at a different temperature. Of course, I don't know much about it and it was pretty confusing to me, so I could be wrong.

I have this idea on the origins of the Pokemon universe... Which is supposed to connect some of the legendaries' stories together. Some of it is canon.

First, there was Arceus, who was born from that egg or whatever. He created the "Seven Original Dragons". These are: Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Zygarde, Unova's Original Dragon, and a Seventh Dragon from the seventh region (I'm think it's safe to assume that there will be a Dragon Legendary in the next gen.) After that, he made Kyogre and Groudon.

As we know, the Sinnoh Trio are the rulers of Space, Time and Antimatter/The Distortion World. The Unovan Original Dragon is the keeper of balance between light and dark, as well as truth and ideals. Zygarde is the protector of the ecosystem. Rayquaza is the spreader of the sky, Kyogre of the sea, and Groudon of land.

After that, Arceus created Regigigas to make different continents across the world he created. Later, this would lead to the three other regis.

AND THEN, Arceus made Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf to allow knowledge, willpower, and emotion to exist in future Pokemon without the need for his intervention. He made hundreds, thousands of Mews which later evolved into the rest of the Pokemon species we know today (except some special ones).

So, basically, originally, all the Pokemon regions were connected, and at the center of this region, there was the shrine of the Seven Original Dragons. Each region actually contains a fragment of this original shrine. The "Sinnoh" and "Johto/Kanto" parts of this mega-continent had the Sinjoh Ruins at the place where the Shrine was originally. Also, Spear Pillar and Sky Pillar were once part of said Shrine. Hoenn's "Cave of Origins" was originally located under this shrine. Unova's Abbysal Ruins are actually the ruins of the Shrine of the Seven Dragons. And so on with Kalos' Unknown Dungeon and Terminus Cave. So, basically, most of the important legendary areas in each region were once connected when everything was in one continent.

Actually, that ^entire paragraph was gonna be used by me to write a fanfic for Pokemon game that is set in both Sinnoh and Unova, and that would serve as Unova's "Third version".

While I agree with you about how Greninja can probably make more types of weapons(it even looks like he's using blades in one of his attacks during the trailer), your link seems to say that ice forms at different temperatures depending on the pressure. That is to say, it's still frozen water, it just froze at a different temperature. Of course, I don't know much about it and it was pretty confusing to me, so I could be wrong.
It's a problem of nomenclature. Ice is what we call the solid state of water, however, I don't think the core concept behind Ice-type Pokemon is necessarily "frozen water" so much as it is cold temperatures. It was a bit more conflated in Gen I due to the high rates of dual Water/Ice types, but as time went on, it's evident that the core of Ice type is cold temperatures.

Now when we look at this chart, we have Ice VI, VII, X, and XI forming at high pressure in the temperature range of 0 to 100 degrees Celsius (i.e., the normal range for liquid water under normal pressure). If you subscribe to the idea that the core concept of Ice Type Pokemon is cold temperatures and not frozen water, then those forms of ice would be devoid of the critical element of ice type Pokemon. As such, Greninja's weapons, while technically ice (i.e., solidified water) would be infused with water-type characteristics and not ice type.

If Greninja's solidified water weapons were created by temperature changes, I'd agree with your concern, but since its due to pressure change, it's still purely water-type to me, and not at all influenced by ice type powers. Greninja just seems to be an incredibly unique water Pokemon in that it can manipulate the states of water through pressure, unlike dual Water/Ice Pokemon (like Lapras) who do it through temperature.

Now, what I want to know is if Greninja's control on pressurizing water also extends to relieving pressure, or if it can be trained to do that. If it can, than Greninja can vaporize water without the need of applying any sort of heat. Can you imagine the type of dominance it would have in a water-only Pokemon tournament, if it can depressurize an opponent's Hydro Pump, turn it into water vapour, without harming yourself from 100 degree Celsius steam.

I mean, technically you're right, the temperature at which water freezes shifts with the pressure exerted on it. But on the flip side, it's also saying that the pressure at which water freezes shifts with temperature (i.e., the hotter it is, the greater the pressure needed). Greninja solidifies water not by manipulating temperature, but by manipulating pressure. It's a lot less intuitive to "increase pressure" than it is to "drop temperature" but, that's apparently how Greninja does it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom