• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New title confirmed (Haruka comes back)

I'm split on whether or not Gonbe should evolve.

He's awesome either way, so I guess we'll just wait and see what the writers chose to do in a few weeks.

Oh my god, yesss! I kinda missed May. I wonder if her contesting skills have improved (IMO, they weren't so impressive in Hoenn/Jhoto with all the unnecessary "sparklies")

You know what would make the episode awesome? If Jessie entered the contest and got paired with Harley. WTFs are to be insured.

And what is it with people wanting may in an emerald outifit? Is it because of the PokeSho image? Jeez, you people would be happy if she came out in a skimpy bathing suit =_=;;

I read on another forum that some people are speculating that perhaps the thunderstone that comes into play in the next episode will come into play when May returns, and that it might possibly be used to evolve her Eevee into Jolteon, assuming that its still unevolved. And it made me wonder, since one of the main factors involved in getting Eevee to evolve into Espeon is friendship, is it possible that Ash might give one of the soothe bells he won to May, in order to help her evolve Eevee into Espeon? Or would it be of little to no help if he did?

Considering how May was the one who hatched Eevee, and that they seemed to have a (reasonably) close relationship when she went to Johto, I can't really see a need for Ash to give her one. The Jolteon theory is interesting, but unlikely. Come to think of it, when was the last time we saw Jolteon?

It will be even more awesome if she enters with James!XD

But that could happen any day XD

James never entered a contest, did he? Since it's almost a rule that coordinators are flamboyant, he would do good I guess.

I like the thunderstone idea, but I don't really think it will happen. Why advertise a Gen I pokémon when they could be advertising a Gen IV pokémon?

However, I can't imagine how Haruka would obtain glacia or a leafia due to the fact that the anime has been following the games more closely. It seems as if they wouldn't evolve it through a "whim" w/o the proper locations.

Am I the only one seeing Munchlax not being there at all? Look at it this way. Munchlax were really close to Max, maybe even closer to Max then it were to May. And we all know Max were sad when May decides to travel through Johto all by herself. So I can imagine she left Munchlax on her father's Gym for Max to care about it and not be so sad. If this will be true, then I can see this will be the only mention of both Munchlax and Max ;-)

I like the thunderstone idea, but I don't really think it will happen. Why advertise a Gen I pokémon when they could be advertising a Gen IV pokémon?

People exaggerate with that "advertising"
Not to mention May isn't even a main character now
They could easily let Bonsly not evolve yet they did let it evolve from a new Pokémon to an old one
They took their time with Aipom despite how they could evolve it really fast and it's an old Pokémon
Gligar and Swinub are again old Pokémon that join the cast... I know like Aipom they have a new evolution but still... they could give them evolved already (mainly with Gligar since it's anyway going to evolve so soon) or give them completely new Pokémon that aren't related to olds

Paul has Ursaring, Nando has Sunflora, Kenny has Alakazam and Breloom... Cassidy and Butch appeared with old generation Pokémon (that didn't get new evolutions) except of new Pokémon like you'd expect

So May's Eevee really can evolve into anything... and also can not evolve at all
It is a little suspicious how an episode after Ash gets a Thunderstone (or reveal he still has that old one) May appears and likely to have Eevee with her that can use the stone...

However, I can't imagine how Haruka would obtain glacia or a leafia due to the fact that the anime has been following the games more closely. It seems as if they wouldn't evolve it through a "whim" w/o the proper locations.

If she'll be a recurring rival to Dawn than maybe it won't evolve now but will when they get near the Ice Rock (or the other one if they go back to Eterna... I don't know since I don't have the games)

If she'll be a recurring rival to Dawn than maybe it won't evolve now but will when they get near the Ice Rock (or the other one if they go back to Eterna... I don't know since I don't have the games)

I HIGHLY doubt that she'll be a reoccurring rival to Hikari. What would be the point? Haruka got her generation, it's Hikari's turn. Yes, I know that she would only show up in a couple of contests, but honestly? Hikari has enough rivals as it is.

The ONLY reasons why I could see Haruka being a reoccurring rival is because a) The grand festival is already over in Johto or b) to spice up Hikari's rivals.

That being said, I still believe she has a 0.01% of becoming a reoccurring rival.

I HIGHLY doubt that she'll be a reoccurring rival to Hikari.

I didn't say she'll be so for sure but I think it's possible... and I want it to happen since May is my favorite character
But I know she might just appear for two episodes and that's it... hopefully not

What would be the point?

What was the point to remove a girly girl coordinator with cute Pokémon for another girly girl coordinator with cute Pokémon?

Haruka got her generation, it's Hikari's turn.

So? you gave the answer for that youself:
Yes, I know that she would only show up in a couple of contests,

She really won't steal any spotlight from Dawn
It can't hurt to let May appear once in a while

but honestly? Hikari has enough rivals as it is.

She still needs 4 ribbons and probably will lose at least once again
I think one more rival can get there and if they want- even more
But I agree it'd be hard probably to handle so much rivals...

The ONLY reasons why I could see Haruka being a reoccurring rival is because a) The grand festival is already over in Johto

Which is likely
I doubt she'd go to another region in the middle of her journey in Johto... no matter for what reason
And she was done with Kanto in 60 episodes with Ash and his journey + Max and Brock + TRio
Why she won't be finish Johto by now? they can even say she and her rivals came too close to the GF and had to work really hard and fast to earn the ribbons in time or something like that if they really must "explain" how she did it

or b) to spice up Hikari's rivals.

As I said before May could easily be there except Zoey as the friendly mentor rival that's more experienced than Dawn... but May probably wouldn't have that Gyms/Contests thing which they insist to include now
It can be interesting to see what might happen if May and Zoey gave Dawn different advices about the same things... who would Dawn listen to? what May and Zoey will think about each other? I think May can make things interesting

That being said, I still believe she has a 0.01% of becoming a reoccurring rival.

She might be and might not
We can't know

The last few days I watched movies 9-10
Movie 9 made me like May even more
And Movie 10's ending that showed the Contest made me want May to have quick flashbacks like how they did in the movie's ending for all her Johto Contests and GF

If it has already become a Glaceon or Leafeon it could be explained that May and Wallace took a trip there to sight see brfore the competition...

Why aren't people mentioning Zenigame and (less likely) Fushigidane as much? They might have evolved.

Why aren't people mentioning Zenigame and (less likely) Fushigidane as much? They might have evolved.

I think Squirtle is likely to stay as it is
And May probably won't want to separate her Bulbasaur from Ash's
I think it's most likely May will have with her only: Blaziken (first Pokémon) Munchlax (DP Pokémon) and Eevee (didn't do anything in BF and possibly evolve into something new or just evolve)
Except for these three I think Squirtle might be there too and one or two new Johto Pokémon

What was the point to remove a girly girl coordinator with cute Pokémon for another girly girl coordinator with cute Pokémon?

Advertising. The entire show is an advertisement for Pokémon merchandising. They could've replaced Takeshi with the Koiki, but they didn't because it would've been awkward if there were two coordinators or two gym trainers respectively in the group. It would've been even more strange if the new addition had the ambition to become a Pokémon breeder like Takeshi mostly because he was the starting trainer in the games.

Hikari was placed in the front line for all of the advertising for D/P, and you can STILL see this with the commercial break indicators (I don't know why the name is slipping my mind).

Plus, you can argue May was replaced with Dawn so they could have a beginner again, which allows for some additional plots you can't do with a seasoned Pokemon contest veteran.

And of course, advertising.

Advertising.

Which isn't such a good reason at least for me
I just wanted to say they don't really need a special reason to make May a recurring rival (because you asked what would be the point of that)
They can do whatever they want...

The entire show is an advertisement for Pokémon merchandising.

And that's exaggerated
I agree they do use the show to advertise... but it's not the ONLY reason that it exist
It exist also simply because a lot of games/manga/books/etc get adapted to cartoons/movies
The show is based on the games... the show used to advertise the games... but it's not exist for that purpose only
I hate when people say that

It would've been even more strange if the new addition had the ambition to become a Pokémon breeder like Takeshi mostly because he was the starting trainer in the games.

Of course a hero/heroine in Pokémon must be a trainer/coordinator respectively
If Dawn was a breeder she was just stuck there doing nothing like Brock

But again
I didn't mean to turn this into a discussion of why they replaced May with Dawn (which except for advertising reasons I believe was done also to give us a -really- equal heroine after they learned from their mistakes with May... it's easier to do with a new character rather than try to make May suddenly "step up" in importance and suddenly have a mascot Pokémon after all the years she didn't have any mascot)
But I just showed nothing really must have a special reason to happen

May might be a recurring rival and might not... I don't see why to ask "what's the point?"... I guess Dawn really isn't a good example since they did have reasons to replace her... but for example Kenny or Zoey - you don't ask what's the point of them being recurring rivals
So just like they can be than May might be one too (from the beginning she could be a rival to her if only May came to Sinnoh... that would be perfect- May leave the cast to give Dawn her place but also doesn't disappear and stay as a rival to her... I think they really should have done that from the beginning of DP and let May go to Sinnoh instead of Johto)

Let's just wait and see what happens

I'm hopeful Zenigame has evolved.

As for Fushigidane, there's a good chance it's still with Ookido, although I guess she could have taken it back.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom