• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Question about stats

Hi there!

I was wondering about the following: my Pokémon's Attack stat can be used against itself, for example when it's confused or with Foul Play. Can other stats be (mis)used like that too? Special Attack for example?

As of yet, not directly. Foul Play is the only move that scales off of the opponent's stats, and Confusion is the only status condition.

However, there are several roundabout ways to use opponent's stats to hurt them. Heart Swap, Guard Swap, Power Swap, and Psych Up all benefit the user if their opponent has been raising their stats (Snatch as well, but it has to be used on the turn the stat is raised). All of these except Psych Up also cause the opponent to lose their stat gains (provided you haven't also boosted your stats).

There are some other ways too, but are more enemy-dependent, such as the move Gyro Ball being more powerful against enemies who boost their speed. Some moves and conditions outright ignore certain stats as well. For example, Dragon Rage, Sonic Boom, Seismic Toss, and related moves always do a set amount of damage. Super Fang always cuts an opponent's current HP in half when it hits.

And the Poison, Burn, Leech Seed, and Badly Poisoned status conditions and Sandstorm/Hail weather conditions always take off a fraction of the opponent's maximum HP, making their HP, Def, and Sp. Def stats irrelevant.

Thank you for your elaborate answer! This actually gives physical attackers with high Attack IVs a bit of a disadvantage then, right? I was wondering about this, because I just got into IV-breeding. I'm trying to breed a Delphox, a special attacker that doesn't need its Attack stat. But it would be best if I could get one with five perfect IVs and an Attack IV of 0, to make sure confusion damage and Foul Play damage are kept to a minimum. I have already bred my first (almost) perfect Chesnaught, with five IVs. Since it doesn't need Special Attack, I didn't bother about the value of that IV, and since my opponent can't use it against me, there's really no reason to. Am I correct?

Yep, that's correct. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. While it is possible to take advantage of these stat differences, keep in mind that the difference between 0 IV's and 31 IV's is 31 points in a stat at Lv. 100, divided by your defense. A randomly-generated value can cause a difference, but in most cases it would be fairly minor. Not to mention that most battlers would rather use a stronger Dark-type move against special attackers; Foul Play doesn't have much power on its own, so it'd likely be used against Delphox more for the type advantage than for the direct power.

Basically, while it would indeed be optimal to have 0 Attack IVs on Delphox, don't lose sleep over it! :D

Not to mention that most battlers would rather use a stronger Dark-type move against special attackers; Foul Play doesn't have much power on its own, so it'd likely be used against Delphox more for the type advantage than for the direct power.
Actually Foul Play has a base power of 95, the highest fixed power among all Dark-type moves. The catch, of course, is that it uses your opponent's physical attack score instead of your own (don't try it against a Chansey or Shuckle) so even against a Delphox (with weak physical defense), it does less damage than, say, Crunch.

Hi there!

I was wondering about the following: my Pokémon's Attack stat can be used against itself, for example when it's confused or with Foul Play. Can other stats be (mis)used like that too? Special Attack for example?

As of yet, not directly. Foul Play is the only move that scales off of the opponent's stats, and Confusion is the only status condition.

However, there are several roundabout ways to use opponent's stats to hurt them. Heart Swap, Guard Swap, Power Swap, and Psych Up all benefit the user if their opponent has been raising their stats (Snatch as well, but it has to be used on the turn the stat is raised). All of these except Psych Up also cause the opponent to lose their stat gains (provided you haven't also boosted your stats).

There are some other ways too, but are more enemy-dependent, such as the move Gyro Ball being more powerful against enemies who boost their speed. Some moves and conditions outright ignore certain stats as well. For example, Dragon Rage, Sonic Boom, Seismic Toss, and related moves always do a set amount of damage. Super Fang always cuts an opponent's current HP in half when it hits.

And the Poison, Burn, Leech Seed, and Badly Poisoned status conditions and Sandstorm/Hail weather conditions always take off a fraction of the opponent's maximum HP, making their HP, Def, and Sp. Def stats irrelevant.

Thank you for your elaborate answer! This actually gives physical attackers with high Attack IVs a bit of a disadvantage then, right? I was wondering about this, because I just got into IV-breeding. I'm trying to breed a Delphox, a special attacker that doesn't need its Attack stat. But it would be best if I could get one with five perfect IVs and an Attack IV of 0, to make sure confusion damage and Foul Play damage are kept to a minimum. I have already bred my first (almost) perfect Chesnaught, with five IVs. Since it doesn't need Special Attack, I didn't bother about the value of that IV, and since my opponent can't use it against me, there's really no reason to. Am I correct?

Yep, that's correct. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. While it is possible to take advantage of these stat differences, keep in mind that the difference between 0 IV's and 31 IV's is 31 points in a stat at Lv. 100, divided by your defense. A randomly-generated value can cause a difference, but in most cases it would be fairly minor. Not to mention that most battlers would rather use a stronger Dark-type move against special attackers; Foul Play doesn't have much power on its own, so it'd likely be used against Delphox more for the type advantage than for the direct power.

Basically, while it would indeed be optimal to have 0 Attack IVs on Delphox, don't lose sleep over it! :D

Not to mention that most battlers would rather use a stronger Dark-type move against special attackers; Foul Play doesn't have much power on its own, so it'd likely be used against Delphox more for the type advantage than for the direct power.
Actually Foul Play has a base power of 95, the highest fixed power among all Dark-type moves. The catch, of course, is that it uses your opponent's physical attack score instead of your own (don't try it against a Chansey or Shuckle) so even against a Delphox (with weak physical defense), it does less damage than, say, Crunch.

Thank you for your explanations and thoughts on the matter, you've really clarified this for me. I'm glad it doesn't make that much of a difference and in that case, I'm not really going to bother about the Attack IV. Thanks again!

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

Hello there fellow gamers, I have got two questions regarding the X/Y plot:
1. How is Fairy-type treated in X/Y? Everyone is pretending that it was always there, or is it a recent discovery?
2. Is there any evidence confirming/denying that during his wandering AZ had ever been outside Kalos?

Thank you in advance~!

1. How is Fairy-type treated in X/Y? Everyone is pretending that it was always there, or is it a recent discovery?
2. Is there any evidence confirming/denying that during his wandering AZ had ever been outside Kalos?

Thank you in advance~!
As far as I know, I didnt notice anything about Fairy type being recently discovered. Also there was no mention at all of AZ going to any other region.

Hi there. I just hace a quick question regarding Cottonee...Does it have any abilities that allow it to always move first? I just had a rating battle against a level 1 Cottonee that outsped all of my Pokemon, two of which have high base Speed stats. The moves it used were Endeavour, Substitute, and I think it also use Leech Seed.

Is there any way it can outspeed other Pokemon? It has a very low base Speed stat.

Hi there. I just hace a quick question regarding Cottonee...Does it have any abilities that allow it to always move first? I just had a rating battle against a level 1 Cottonee that outsped all of my Pokemon, two of which have high base Speed stats. The moves it used were Endeavour, Substitute, and I think it also use Leech Seed.

Is there any way it can outspeed other Pokemon? It has a very low base Speed stat.
Cottonee has the ability Prankster wich gives +1 priority to status noves, it means moves that don't deal damage directly such as Substitute and Leech Seed will always go first unless the opponent is also using a +1 priority move and it's faster than your pokemon.

Thanks Norzan, I'm surprised I didn't smash anything up in frustration as my Pokemon were slowly being tortured with Leech Seed :(

Thank you in advance~!
As far as I know, I didnt notice anything about Fairy type being recently discovered. Also there was no mention at all of AZ going to any other region.

Fairly early on the two assistant people mention the Fairy type was recently discovered. One of them even shouts "IT TURNED THE WHOLE TYPE MATCHUP SYSTEM UPSIDE DOWN!". However, nobody else seems to care much.

Thank you in advance~!

Fairly early on the two assistant people mention the Fairy type was recently discovered. One of them even shouts "IT TURNED THE WHOLE TYPE MATCHUP SYSTEM UPSIDE DOWN!". However, nobody else seems to care much.

The Fairy type is treated basically the same way Steel and Dark type were. In GS I'm pretty sure an NPC was like "Remember Magnemite and Magneton? Yeah they have the Steel type now and are awesomer."

That's Sina and Dexio for you. Nobody mentions that a lot of single-typed Pokemon are now Fairy in part (Ralts, Azurill, Jigglypuff) or whole (Snubbull). It's something you find out as you encounter them yourself.

Pokedex Questions

Hi, does anyone know if all the pokemon from all generations are included in pokemon x and y because I am trying to catch all the pokemon and complete my pokedex.

Breeding question - Perfect IVs

Just a simple question... If I breed two compatible pokemon with perfect (6 maxed) IVs, will the monster they produce also have perfect IVs? If not, is there any way I can ensure that the coupling will produce 5/6 IV offspring?

Any information, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Re: Breeding question - Perfect IVs

No. Regular IV inheritance only guarantees minimum 1 IV will be inherited from either parent. At most it will be 3. 1 from the father, 1 from the mother, and a third from either parent. You can get 1 or 2 if either or all of those IVs are the same stat.

However, in Gen 6, if you equip the Destiny knot to either parent, the offspring will inherit 5 of its IVs at random from either parent. In your setup, both parents with 6 31 IVs, it means all babies will have at least 5 IVs in 31, and one of them will be randomized.

Re: Breeding question - Perfect IVs

One of both parents must hold a Destiny Knot, which ensures that the baby will five 5IVs with its parents. So when breeding using two 6IV parents (one of which is holding a Destiny Knot), the baby will always have at least 5 max IVs. The sixth one is generated randomly, so in theory, one in 31 babies will have 6 perfect IVs.

You can also let the other parent hold an Everstone, which ensures that the offspring will have the same nature as said parent.

You can get Destiny Knots by beating a Beauty in Lumiose City, in an alley near Vert Plaza if I remember correctly.
Wild Roggenrola and Boldore sometimes hold an Everstone, so you should use Thief/Captivate on these Pokémon, or damage them using a Pokémon that has the ability Pickpocket/Magician.

More info on these items, moves and abilities can be found on Bulbagarden wikis.

Re: Pokedex Questions

Hi, does anyone know if all the pokemon from all generations are included in pokemon x and y because I am trying to catch all the pokemon and complete my pokedex.

No they are not. There are many that need to be brought over via Pokemon Bank to X/Y from older games.

Re: Pokedex Questions

No they are not. There are many that need to be brought over via Pokemon Bank to X/Y from older games.

Serebii has a list of Pokémon that cannot be obtained through normal gameplay in X and Y. Assuming this list is correct, these are the Pokémon you'll need to transfer from past games (or trade with someone else that transferred them) to get a complete National Pokédex.

OMG Thank you so much for the information!!

Then by any chance, have you used the Starf Berry as well? What does it yield in Juice?

I've mixed all the berries now, as for what happens when two Starf berries mixed together...Starf berry is a Group 3 berry, meaning it will always result in a 12 when mixed with it. If mixed with another Group 3 or 2 berry, it will result in a 32.
Like if you mix a Starf berry with a Salac berry, it will be a lv 32 Green Juice.

P.S. If you plan on dating Shauna, keep in mind stalkers don't like you to even look at another person, and that you should hide any sharp object around the house away from her.

So, is there any way to cancel canceling a trade? Sometimes I trade with someone and I think we're done so I hit cancel trade, but they offer another Pokemon I really want and I don't want to ask them to trade again, I have to wait until they realize I'm done

You can nick name Pokémon with communication words and keep them in a box to communicate. Use bug Pokémon, and try to use different ones so it isn't confusing.

Some Nick names for the Pokémon

Hello
Thank you
Good Bye
I want that
No Thanks
Show me
Are we done?

Just fill up a box with mon you'd usually WT away and nick name them different things based on how you wish to communicate.

Does anyone know Skarmory's encounter rate in the victory road or if it only appears in a specific area? Must have gone through 50 Fearows without seeing one. Also does anyone know how often hidden abilities appear in hordes? Been looking for a immunity gligar and I've must have gone through 30 hordes without seeing one.

I've heard a few people say 5% on hidden ability

Surely the HA rate for horde encounters is higher than that, I've never had to go through more than five hordes or so to find a HA 'mon.

Surely the HA rate for horde encounters is higher than that, I've never had to go through more than five hordes or so to find a HA 'mon.

Keep in mind that that's on a per-Pokémon basis. That 5% chance (if that's the correct number, anyway) gets rolled 5 times, meaning the probability of finding a horde with at least 1 HA Pokémon in it is much higher.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom