• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Complete My Team!

I don't typically use most of those pokemon, but I can weigh in on Empoleon: I prefer a bulkier Empoleon with HP and Defense or Sp. Defense EVs, with Scald, Ice Beam, Stealth Rock and Roar. You're wanting Water and Steel on each pokemon though, right? So maybe replace Ice Beam with Flash Cannon to fit your theme, but definitely use Scald instead of Surf (high Burn chance and it still hits hard) and Stealth Rock + Roar makes for some hilarious shenanigans - every Gym Leader needs a gimmick, right? :p

If you go the defensive route rather than Special Sweeper, I'd give him Leftovers. Empoleon can be very difficult to bring down if you aren't prepared for him.

Good luck! I hope it goes well. :)

Thanks!
Man I love bulky pokes... I was trying to get out of my comfort zone, but your suggestion is very tempting. Hrm...
In any case: Scald, yes ok sold. I actually love that move. I felt like maybe I should pick the certainty of extra damage Surf gave over the slight gamble of getting a burn... but yeah ok, Scald it is.

I'd suggest Starmie over your Water/Flying type. Starmie resists Fighting type moves and can hit back against Grass with Ice Beam and Fighting with Psychic as it is relatively quick. If you prefer something on the defensive side try out Slowbro: It has good Defense and HP, can hit Grass types with Ice Beam and burn enemies with Scald, plus it has access to recovery with Slack Off. You can also try using a Water/Ground type to negate Electric attacks and then switch to a Steel type if you see a Grass attack coming.

On the Steel side try Earthquake over Explosion on Bronzong since half the team has a weakness to Electric so it can give you coverage against those. Klefki or Aegislash can help you against Fighting type moves. Escavalier and Scizor can also work since they can learn Aerial Ace against Fighting types and take normal damage from Ground and Fighting moves. Best of luck to your efforts! :)

Man so many interesting suggestions, hrmhrmm... Since Bronzong's already Psychic I felt a pull to diversify things with a Flying type poke over Starmie or Slowbro/king. I'd be inclined to pick Starmie over the Slow-s... It's true that even if it doesn't have a STAB move that works x4 against a Grass/Fighting, Psychic is STAB and Ice Beam is all-around nice (also in case of Dragons). I had a EV-trained Starmie in my Emerald game that would work for this, I could use it.

Good idea @Earthquake on Bronzong.

@Klefki, Aegislash & Escavalier: I hadn't even noticed Escavalier can learn Aerial Ace, dang!
Man I only very recently switched to 6th Gen and it shows (and I've been sticking to 4th/Soul Silver for so long). You caught me red-handed in sticking closer to the pokes I know, hahahah.
I'm open to getting to learn my way around these better though. Especially since it happens they are among my favorite 5th Gen pokes look-wise. :)
Gosh what to do... I do love Scizor too but dang ain't that pokemon really dang popular (won't say "overused" because like I said, I don't do lots of competitive and as far as I know it might not even be in the OU tier), so yeah I'll pass. Let my other friends have fun with it in their teams.

Hrm... so if I replace one of the waterfowls for Starmie, I'm left with... replacing Magnezone with one of these three. I guess I might not miss it too much... I guess I picked it because I thought that it would also be useful if my friends uses, like, a real bulky Water poke that would kind of throw my Steel/Water stuff into a stalemate and I don't know, screen the crap out of her team and be a nuisance while I struggle to kill it down...
Hm, Escavalier is 4x weak to Fire but if I keep rain on, it'll help... Klefki has ground weakness but it laughs at Dragons and has one more resistance and one more immunity.... Aegislash resists a ton of stuff but most of what isn't resisted hits it hard... Hm and Blade or Defense forme...
*strokes chin*

Last edited:
Haha no worries, Escavalier always interested me so I thought of it but I still had to look up about Aerial Ace :p I wasn't really sure about your preference so I kinda just threw everything I could think of so you can take your pick, but that's the fun of building teams!

Yeah the Earthquake weakness kinda makes Magnezone hard to use, I mean you can give it an Air Balloon but it might pop on the turn you'd be using Rain Dance. If you have a Klefki with Prankster then you can have that use screens and rain, or you can try out Aegislash and mess with your friend by switching between the formes :p

@Magnezone: Yeah true... you can also use a spot on the moveset for Magnet Rise, but then you need to waste a turn to set it up.

It strikes me Bronzong and Klefki are two great mons for setting Rain Dance and screening... I wonder if I'm safer having two of these, or adding a bit more variety with Escavalier...

I'm wanting to build a competitive team around my mega Lucario as I enjoy the battle spot and enjoy doing tiers with my friend in college... who I have only beaten twice due to I'm really new to competitive battling.
The tier is OU and Ubers (as he doesn't care if mega gengar, blaziken and such or mega lucario are banned, makes it more fun and frustrating)

So what would you guys suggest would go well with this Lucario? Keep in mind he's staying as he is as he seems to be quite effective and unpredictable. But if you think his move set is really bad do say so and what you would have him as encase he doesn't go well with other Pokemon. Swords Dance is a no no, he doesn't have much time to set that up against Ubers anymore. OU maybe but since I let people use mega gengar and such, probably not.

Lucario @lucarioite
Jolly nature (haven't done the EVs yet as I haven't gotten round to fully training him.
-Protect
-Bullet Punch
-Close Combat
-Earthquake

I do have a competitive Tyrantrum and Blaziken in reserves but I don't think having so many sweepers who are weak to similar types is a good thing. Could I get any help please? I would love it <3

I'm wanting to build a competitive team around my mega Lucario as I enjoy the battle spot and enjoy doing tiers with my friend in college... who I have only beaten twice due to I'm really new to competitive battling.
The tier is OU and Ubers (as he doesn't care if mega gengar, blaziken and such or mega lucario are banned, makes it more fun and frustrating)

So what would you guys suggest would go well with this Lucario? Keep in mind he's staying as he is as he seems to be quite effective and unpredictable. But if you think his move set is really bad do say so and what you would have him as encase he doesn't go well with other Pokemon. Swords Dance is a no no, he doesn't have much time to set that up against Ubers anymore. OU maybe but since I let people use mega gengar and such, probably not.

Lucario @lucarioite
Jolly nature (haven't done the EVs yet as I haven't gotten round to fully training him.
-Protect
-Bullet Punch
-Close Combat
-Earthquake

I do have a competitive Tyrantrum and Blaziken in reserves but I don't think having so many sweepers who are weak to similar types is a good thing. Could I get any help please? I would love it <3
why Protect?

Lucario @lucarioite
-Protect
-Bullet Punch
-Close Combat
-Earthquake

why Protect?

Because apparently the mega evolution stat changes only come into effect after 1 turn, unless I'm wrong? Also enrages opponents but mostly lets me see what set my opponents are running. I don't mind getting rid of protect if this isn't true.

Lucario @lucarioite
-Protect
-Bullet Punch
-Close Combat
-Earthquake

why Protect?

Because apparently the mega evolution stat changes only come into effect after 1 turn, unless I'm wrong? Also enrages opponents but mostly lets me see what set my opponents are running. I don't mind getting rid of protect if this isn't true.

It's just the Speed that doesn't change.

Lucario @lucarioite
-Protect
-Bullet Punch
-Close Combat
-Earthquake

why Protect?

Drop protect. Add Stone Edge. Also get a better move than Close Combat.

Lucario @lucarioite
-Protect
-Bullet Punch
-Close Combat
-Earthquake

why Protect?

Drop protect. Add Stone Edge. Also get a better move than Close Combat.

What are you doing, mate? Close Combat is by FAR mLuke's best attack, the sheer power of Adaptability CC was one of the things that got him banned. Plus, Stone Sdge provides 0 relevant coverage. You want Ice Punch, Crunch, or Extreme Speed for your 4th move.

What are you doing, mate? Close Combat is by FAR mLuke's best attack, the sheer power of Adaptability CC was one of the things that got him banned. Plus, Stone Sdge provides 0 relevant coverage. You want Ice Punch, Crunch, or Extreme Speed for your 4th move.

Honestly, I'd run HJK. I'd take a slim chance of hurting myself instead of a Def and SpD drop every time I use my best move.

Honestly, I'd run HJK. I'd take a slim chance of hurting myself instead of a Def and SpD drop every time I use my best move.

MLuke is frail af anyways, fast , and packs his own priority (usually has both BP and ESpeed, in fact) and CC has 100% accuracy.

The Lucario that I have breed has access to Blaze Kick and High Jump Kick, but I wasn't much of a fan of the two, I like things with high accuracy. I may go for Crunch. But what other Pokemon would go well with that sort of MLucario?

Galvantula, Shuckle, or Smeargle with Sticky Web make MLuke terrifying, as it becomes almost impossible to outspeed him and he resists Bullet Punch, Extreme Speed, Quick Attack, and Sucker Punch.

MLuke is frail af anyways, fast , and packs his own priority (usually has both BP and ESpeed, in fact) and CC has 100% accuracy.

Besides, HJK's chance of hurting oneself is not it's inherent 10% chance to miss (besides, these misses will happen sometimes, it's not as if anything below 95% accuracy is totally reliable), but one must also take into account the fact that whenever HJK is revealed, the opponent will likely try and predict it with Protect, Detect and Ghost switch-ins. CC is better: if it bumps into any of those, stat drop isn't happening, and a stat drop is fixed by a switch out, unlike damage, which gives Lucario more potential for future revenge killing if need be.

I wanted to do wifi battles online. Currently its Kalos dex only.

I have
Mega Mewtwo Y (sweeper) recover, psychic, calm mind, Aura Sphere
Xerneas (berry to make geomancy 1 turn) Horn leech, geomancy, moonblast, megahorn
was thinking about Yveltal Dark pulse, Oblivion wing, U-turn, Steel wing

This would be my first competition so If I sound like a noob, I am.

/edit for stupid noob mistake

Last edited:

I have
Mega Mewtwo Y choice specs (sweeper) recover, psychic, iron tail, Aura Sphere
Xerneas (berry to make geomancy 1 turn) Horn leech, geomancy, moonblast, megahorn
________ was thinking about a pivot wall to get in and out of choice band,

If this is for one of GameFreaks tournaments I believe that they are both banned in their tournaments.

I have

If you use Geomancy on Xerneas you should use Special Attacks to take advantage of the boost, but you have 2 physical attacks. Psyshock, Focus Blast, and Thunder are good choices (although if you're not playing Ubers, Thunder becomes unreliable as Kyogre isn't there to set Rain).

Yveltal does not need Steel Wing. It's weak and has irrelevant coverage besides Fairies, who are better dealt with by other team members. Try Sucker Punch instead, and Taunt is typically better than U-Turn on Yveltal.

I have

If you use Geomancy on Xerneas you should use Special Attacks to take advantage of the boost, but you have 2 physical attacks. Psyshock, Focus Blast, and Thunder are good choices (although if you're not playing Ubers, Thunder becomes unreliable as Kyogre isn't there to set Rain).

Yveltal does not need Steel Wing. It's weak and has irrelevant coverage besides Fairies, who are better dealt with by other team members. Try Sucker Punch instead, and Taunt is typically better than U-Turn on Yveltal.

Thanks for the info. I put steel wing on for fear of being walled by a fairy. Dark and Fighting hit everything else neutral.

Okay so this is not a complete my team as in adding more members but as in editing so anyways here it is. i am not rebreeding really but i may. Also this is a semi competetive team, last thing to add my friends do not IV breed.

Gallade Shiny
Naughty

Bulldoze
Psycho Cut
Light Screen
Poison Jab

Blissey (31 in HP)
Quiet

Soft-Boiled
Seismic Toss
Heal Pulse
Refresh

Forretress
Quiet

Explosion
Spikes
Toxic Spikes
Stealth Rock

Greninja 5IV
Timid

Dark Pulse
Ice Beam
Water Pulse
U-Turn

Delphox Shiny
Quirky

Toxic
Will-O-Wisp
Flamethrower
Grass Knot

Emolga Female
Random Nature

Attract
Double Team
Baton Pass
Volt Switch

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom