• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Also, ghosts can't be trapped anymore. That's not right.
I agree. I can understand the reasoning behind allowing Ghosts to swap out of some trapping moves, but not all trapping moves work the same way (e.g. Mean Look).

How about this -- Ghosts can swap out of trapping moves, but then the swap occurs at delayed priority (e.g. -6) instead of the normal (+6) priority?

Also, ghosts can't be trapped anymore. That's not right.
I agree. I can understand the reasoning behind allowing Ghosts to swap out of some trapping moves, but not all trapping moves work the same way (e.g. Mean Look).

How about this -- Ghosts can swap out of trapping moves, but then the swap occurs at delayed priority (e.g. -6) instead of the normal (+6) priority?

Every single strategy has a counter, why should trap be different?

Really baffled why Steel no longer resists Psychic or Ghost. Wasn't the introduction of Steel supposed to be to nerf Psychic?
Also not sure why Fairy was made so powerful, think Ice should have been Super against it, and think it should have resisted Dragon rather than be immune. It makes no sense to have a massive lv100 legendary dragon crashing into a lv 10 jigglypuff with Dragon Rush, only for Jigglypuff to be completely unscathed without a scratch

Considering I WAS a dragon type trainer I hardly use dragons anymore. I am not hating on the fairy type keep in mind, but they did sorta mess things up with it.

Since the fairy type has only two weaknesses and one immune it is extremely tough. Too tough in my opinion, when I'm bored and feel like being evil I'll unleash my Fairy type Arceus onto the field in battle spot, when I battle with friends we come to a mutual agreement not to use Xerneas and/or Fairy type Arceus because they just don't faint easily!

I don't agree with fairy being super effective against dragon. I agree with it resisting it to stop those darn Dragon Dancing, outraging Dragonites! As Dragon types are only super effective against one thing they are sort of weak if they aren't a Dragon Dancer. Most dragon Pokemon were dragon/ground or dragon/flying which made them 4x weak to the widely used ice beam. I think the moves should have just been weakened.

And Ice type Pokemon are still kinda unusable, they should have sorted that out. Or make a pseudo legendary that has Levitate and is a Ice/Fire type as that would be more usable. But I think Ice should only be weak to Fire and Fighting to make it a little more usable.

But as this is only the Fairy type's first gen it'll probably be nerfed at some point like the Steel type was.

Why is it OP? 2 weakness 1 immunity electric has better typing than that. It also does well against dragon,dark,fighting which are attacks with great coverage. I don't agree with steel losing resistances most steel types have 4x weakness and steel offense is not great.

3) I wouldn't want to give Ghost another immunity, either; it already has two immunities. Making Ghost immune to the second or third most powerful offensive type would make Ghost too overpowered as both an offensive and defensive type. If Fairy or another type resists Ghost, I wouldn't mind. Fairy has a fair number of resistances already, though.

That kind of reminds me - I played a game recently where Ghost monsters were super weak to Wind attacks with the explanation being that they're gaseous and so get swept away. I don't know if Flying types need a buff necessarily but it would be thematically appropriate I think.

It still sticks in my craw (no pun intended) that Flying hasn't been separated out into Wind and Bird or Wind and Sky, btws. I still say that distinction makes more sense than rock and ground being separate types.

Personally, I think the current issues with the type chart aren't so much related to the chart itself, but the actual types. Poison definitely needed another type to be super-effective against but it needs a boost other than a type-chart change. Namely, it needs better Pokémon. So many Poison-type Pokémon have base stat totals that are "okay" as opposed to seriously viable and the ones that do are used because of their other type (like Gengar).

I think the Ice-type suffers from this same problem; despite having common weaknesses it is a very good type offensively, but it just needs better moves and Pokémon (Icicle Crash being the highest powered non-exclusive physical Ice-type move is a joke). I don't get why GameFreak are so insistent on making so many defensive Ice-types when the type is obviously better utilised offensively. Just imagine how awesome it would be to have an Ice-type with base stats similar to Weavile, but with a focus on special attack as opposed to attack, or if Mamoswine received a physical Ice-type move with a base power similar to Blizzard.

Personally, I think the current issues with the type chart aren't so much related to the chart itself, but the actual types. Poison definitely needed another type to be super-effective against but it needs a boost other than a type-chart change. Namely, it needs better Pokémon. So many Poison-type Pokémon have base stat totals that are "okay" as opposed to seriously viable and the ones that do are used because of their other type (like Gengar).

I think the Ice-type suffers from this same problem; despite having common weaknesses it is a very good type offensively, but it just needs better moves and Pokémon (Icicle Crash being the highest powered non-exclusive physical Ice-type move is a joke). I don't get why GameFreak are so insistent on making so many defensive Ice-types when the type is obviously better utilised offensively. Just imagine how awesome it would be to have an Ice-type with base stats similar to Weavile, but with a focus on special attack as opposed to attack, or if Mamoswine received a physical Ice-type move with a base power similar to Blizzard.

Nidoqueen and Nidoking face the same problem Gengar does. Both are great Pokemon but their Poison typing doesn't do much for them. Before Gen VI, they were always used as Special Attackers but now their Attack stats are much higher despite having a pitiful Physical move pool. The only physical Poison move they can learn is Poison Jab. In fact I'd say Poison is facing the same problem Ice has. There are quite a few very strong Physical attackers but there are very few physical STAB moves for them. Icicle Crash has low distribution and can only be obtained on Mamoswine via breeding. I think the only explanation is that Game Freak just doesn't care. They're just really not interested in making good Poison and Ice types. Avalugg is a total joke. A slow physically defensive Ice type with three useless abilities. People have been clamoring for years for more unique Ice types but Game Freak doesn't seem interested. They tried with Snover and Abomasnow but that typing is horrid. Give us an Ice/Fighting type, an Ice/Electric type, or just something different than the usual slow, defensive Ice types. A Poison/Ice type with some cool new moves would definitely rectify the situation though.

It is indeed

And a Poison/Ice type Pokémon would have a lot of weaknesses too (psychic, rock, ground, fire, steel)
Although it does seem like an interesting combination... I wonder what such a Pokémon would look like

An offensive based Ice/Steel-type would be really cool. If it was a speedy but frail attacker, it could deal a fair bit of damage to both Dragon and Fairy-types, who might become a bit too powerful, but it having two 4x weaknesses would potentially stop that Pokémon from becoming too overpowered itself.

Wish is definitely a move which should have been transferred to Fairy type, since (1) so many Fairy-type Pokémon learn it already, and (2) real-world folklore is full of stories with wish-granting fairies in them. Still, I understand why Game Freak didn't do it: they'd already re-typed Moonlight (a similar but quicker move) for the tie-in with Cleffa's line. Oh well, you can't have everything!

It is indeed

And a Poison/Ice type Pokémon would have a lot of weaknesses too (psychic, rock, ground, fire, steel)
Although it does seem like an interesting combination... I wonder what such a Pokémon would look like

frog? snake? Spur-winged goose? killer whale?
moving ice creature? dont know but hope its done right.
About those pokes with dual typing that have a lot a weaknesses, there will always be something strong and weak, we had a lot of those in the past, imporatant is stats , ability and movepool.
(hope we get so many pokemon in future with rare typings that they wont be only legendaries and so rare more (atleast 3 or 5 of a kind not only evolutionary lines.))

Last edited:
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

I want that damn dragon immunity just for the pure outrage when a Fairy/Dragon pops up. You just know GF is gonna go and do something so out there. I mean come on, imagine a Pokemon that not only takes damage from Ice like its nothing to counter dragon's weakness, but also can wreck up dragons with a snap of its fingers. I can't bloody wait.

Oh and a new type makes sense with Helioptile's typing. Why? Well if all the base normal Pokemon are getting upgraded, it makes sense if they start using normal type as a secondary type for base Pokemon, with it leaving later on for a secondary typing. Makes evolution seem much more like the stages of maturity they really are.

How many Gen VI battles have involved one player swearing as the other one uses a Mega Stone on Altaria? :censored: As for nerfing Sableye and Spiritomb...there's nothing like siccing Azumarill on the over-confident bad guys. "Time to Play Rough again, Jade... good girl!"

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom