• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Improvements to Pokemon games

I mentionned that before but instand of using luck, Microgames on lower Accuracy and/or when aiming on one/multiple targets with increased Evasionness will rely your skills, quickpressing, reflex and aim. This also applies to Multi-Hits moves.

I mentionned that before but instand of using luck, Microgames on lower Accuracy and/or when aiming on one/multiple targets with increased Evasionness will rely your skills, quickpressing, reflex and aim. This also applies to Multi-Hits moves.

I kinda like this idea.

It's a good idea, and I've even thought about it once. But won't it slow down the games? How "micro" would these microgames be?

It's a good idea, and I've even thought about it once. But won't it slow down the games? How "micro" would these microgames be?

They only needs the control stick (left) and the A button on most microgames, and they are as short as the old moves animations (or shorter if executed quickly) so you must be quick on aiming/quickpressing/sequence-pressing. And if it is not enough, all messages and effects occurs at the same time (on the bottom screen).

It would also be nice if the move relearner can re-teach moves that are normally only available to a pre evolution (shroomish with spore) as long as the now evolved pokemon has had it at some point in their moveset. They did it in mystery dungeon why not here?
Well, the XY relearner can do this if the Pokemon was born with it as an egg move ... but that's all.

Elite four shouldnt really be typist I mean the top trainers are monotypes says alot about the region doesnt it.They should have balanced teams so they are actually hard to beat and not easy fodder for supereffective spam.

I would love it if we had five or six moves.

I would love it if we had five or six moves.
Uh, no. The limited movepool is part of what gives the Pokemon series its strategy.

Compare Pokemon Conquest - each Pokemon could only have one fixed move, but that was okay because it was a tactical RPG with all Pokemon on the field simultaneously. Additionally, it meant that every time you went up against an opponent's Pokemon you knew exactly what to expect from it, and winning the battle was largely a matter of tactical positioning to get the right Pokemon in the right place at the right time. (Though I wouldn't mind it at all if Pokemon had a second, switchable move with 1-2 uses available -- roughly analogous to your Warrior Abilities which only work once in a given battle)

Last edited:
Whoa.. what's up with all the people talkin about getting rid of HMs and stuff.. I don't understand.
Why do people want the maingame play getting easier than it already is. That's why there are move deleters every game..
And also gen5 onward the TMs are reusable... this already made the game a whole lot easier. srsly dude... stop talkin
about HMs.

I say the biggest thing is that pkm has been pretty straightforward plot wise since gen1. You start ur journey by picking
one of the 3 starters, collect 8 badges and defeat villains along the way, and challenge the pokemon league and become
the champion. After you do that you go and catch legendaries or do some post game stuff like bf or pwt. Basically this
sums up all of pkm games. I like the fact that they're trying out different things with what to do post-game and it really
is rather fun to do, but I would like the main game and post game play to be longer. Maybe I'm being greedy. I don't know like
somebody mentioned above getting 16 badges instead of 8 badges before pokemon league or making the gyms and villains and
rivals more of a challenge rather than exp fodders.. the list goes on man..

Whoa.. what's up with all the people talkin about getting rid of HMs and stuff.. I don't understand.
Why do people want the maingame play getting easier than it already is. That's why there are move deleters every game..
And also gen5 onward the TMs are reusable... this already made the game a whole lot easier. srsly dude... stop talkin
about HMs.
To alot of people (including myself) HMs don't add difficulty or challenge, just annoyance and tedium and also making TMs reusable was probably one of the best things about Gen 5, before Gen 5 it made no sense why they broke after use, it was like i install a game on a pc and the CD explodes after i install the game, also why only TMs breaking after use and not HMs? Did they use different materials for each? I'm glad they made TMs reusable.

about HMs.
To alot of people (including myself) HMs don't add difficulty or challenge, just annoyance and tedium and also making TMs reusable was probably one of the best things about Gen 5, before Gen 5 it made no sense why they broke after use, it was like i install a game on a pc and the CD explodes after i install the game, also why only TMs breaking after use and not HMs? Did they use different materials for each? I'm glad they made TMs reusable.

I get where you're coming from man and believe me HMs annoy me too. But I still think they shouldn't be removed from the game. It just has been there from the start and it's one of the defining parts about ingame play. Nobody uses HMs in competitive play except surf and waterfall but things like strength and fly it's usable ingame. Besides ingame is easy enough that you can do pretty well with just 3 moves or even 2 moves counting those HMs out.

TMs being reusable has it's good sides too I guess.. but it just made the game easier by a LOT.

I'll be honest here, I have had to dedicate an HM slave every generation. That pokemon becomes completely dead to me and I never use it again.

Besides, why do I have to teach a pokemon to swim or push a rock? It seems that the standard HMs are almost moot. I dunno, I think maybe they should just base it on stats in general without moves. For example needing certain attack (strength?) to move a boulder or something along those lines. :/

But to each their own.

about HMs.

I get where you're coming from man and believe me HMs annoy me too. But I still think they shouldn't be removed from the game. It just has been there from the start and it's one of the defining parts about ingame play. Nobody uses HMs in competitive play except surf and waterfall but things like strength and fly it's usable ingame. Besides ingame is easy enough that you can do pretty well with just 3 moves or even 2 moves counting those HMs out.

TMs being reusable has it's good sides too I guess.. but it just made the game easier by a LOT.
People don't want the moves like Cut, Fly, Strength to be removed from the game, they want the HM status to dissapear, like you can make a pokemon forget Fly by just making it forget it in place of other move and not by having to go every time to the Move Deleter to make a pokemon forget an HM move. Also making TMs reusable was convenient, farming money to buy TMs didn't add challenge, it just added boredom and tedium because you had to constantly farm money in the Pokemon League in order to buy more TMs and also when accidentaly spent a good TM on a pokemon and you have no other way to get another one except if you restart the game, also pokemon games have been all easy so it didn't made any difference.

Last edited:
about HMs.

People don't want the moves like Cut, Fly, Strength to be removed from the game, they want the HM status to dissapear, like you can make a pokemon forget Fly by just making it forget in place of other move and not by having to go every time to the Move Deleter to make a pokemon forget an HM move. Also making TMs reusable was convenient, farming money to buy TMs didn't add challenge, it just added boredom and tedium because you had to constantly farm money in the Pokemon League for money in order to buy more TMs and also when accidentaly spent a good TM on a pokemon and you have no other way to get another one except if you restart the game, also pokemon games have been all easy so it didn't made any difference.

Yea that would be nice. But then that's what move deleters are for. Unless u want them gone. And TMs being reusable is indeed convenient, which in my opinion translates to easier gameplay. It's what surprised me the most when I started playing pkm games again. Suddenly I could adjust moves of my pkm according to that specific gym before the battle. Whereas before if I had found a TM that I can't buy anywhere I had to think twice before teaching my pkm that move.

about HMs.

People don't want the moves like Cut, Fly, Strength to be removed from the game, they want the HM status to dissapear, like you can make a pokemon forget Fly by just making it forget in place of other move and not by having to go every time to the Move Deleter to make a pokemon forget an HM move. Also making TMs reusable was convenient, farming money to buy TMs didn't add challenge, it just added boredom and tedium because you had to constantly farm money in the Pokemon League for money in order to buy more TMs and also when accidentaly spent a good TM on a pokemon and you have no other way to get another one except if you restart the game, also pokemon games have been all easy so it didn't made any difference.

Yea that would be nice. But then that's what move deleters are for. Unless u want them gone. And TMs being reusable is indeed convenient, which in my opinion translates to easier gameplay. It's what surprised me the most when I started playing pkm games again. Suddenly I could adjust moves of my pkm according to that specific gym before the battle. Whereas before if I had found a TM that I can't buy anywhere I had to think twice before teaching my pkm that move.
Yeah Move Deleters would have to be removed but i'll be honest, i would not miss them. I can see why you say TMs reusable make the gameplay easier but the good TMs are always near the end of the game or even in the postgame so it barely makes any difference.

I want HM moves to be some form of "skill" instead, that functions outside the main four move slots. That way I can teach a Pokemon the skill Fly without having the move Fly occupying an useful move slot as well. Not sure how restrictive it should be when when skills become available, or if the skill just becomes available as you get the corresponding TM - I really just want overworld and battle moves to be completely separate.

Also, TMs being reusable made building teams and experimenting a lot less tedious and restrictive.

Besides, why do I have to teach a pokemon to swim or push a rock? It seems that the standard HMs are almost moot. I dunno, I think maybe they should just base it on stats in general without moves. For example needing certain attack (strength?) to move a boulder or something along those lines. :/
I want HM moves to be some form of "skill" instead, that functions outside the main four move slots. That way I can teach a Pokemon the skill Fly without having the move Fly occupying an useful move slot as well. Not sure how restrictive it should be when when skills become available, or if the skill just becomes available as you get the corresponding TM - I really just want overworld and battle moves to be completely separate.

This reminds me of an idea another user had long ago... By @Meophist (credit to him for the original idea), here is the original post:
Idea: Field abilities.

Pokémon have a number of field abilities that unlock as you obtain badges. These abilities are species-specific.

You can bring a Pokémon out on the field in order to use these abilities(only one at a time), although some abilities will be usable from the menu. When on the field, the Pokémon will either follow you or you'll ride on them depending on if the Pokémon has the Ride ability(which generally only the bigger ones will). When the Pokémon is on the field, using their ability becomes easier: It doesn't ask you if you want to use Strength, just press A in front of the bush to Cut, talk to the Pokémon to use Fly, automatically hop onto the Pokémon when going onto water, et cetera. This doesn't need to be restricted to HM abilities, but also some normal abilities like Pick Up or Honey Gather. These abilities will be separate from the Pokémon's normal moves and abilities and don't need to be learned.

It sounds similar to Field Moves in Pokemon Rangers. I think this could be an "improvement to Pokemon games". I'm gonna expand on the idea a little.

The way I see it, this idea combines "Walking Pokemon (HGSS)", "Riding Pokemon (XY)", AND "HMs". Notice that Fly, Surf, Whirlpool, Waterfall, Dive, and Rock Climb all involve "riding" a Pokemon in a way. The rest of the HMs are just stuff the Pokemon can do, but when they do it, they are out of their Pokeball and next to you, like when they are walking with you. This is how I think the idea could work:

1. HMs are removed, but each "HM" move is replaced by another move that is exactly the same in terms of power, accuracy, and effects, (it could even have the same name), yet it doesn't have an effect outside battle like normal HM moves.

2. Some abilities (as mentioned above) and other moves are also made into these Field Abilities. Some more field abilities could be introduced based on what you can do while riding in X and Y. For example, jumping over ledges, walking over rocky terrain (although I think that's similar to Rock Climb.) There could even be just a normal "Riding" feature where you ride a Pokemon, and it's speed is based off it's speed stat. Other than increasing your speed, I don't think there's really a reason you'd be able to just ride your Pokemon, but it would look awesome (e.g. Riding Rapidash. Who cares if you get burned.)

3. Each Pokemon gains these "Field Abilities" (or whatever you want to call them.) A Pokemon can have more than one field ability.

4. You'd be able to walk with your Pokemon again like in HG/SS. But, this time there's more importance to it. The Pokemon that you're walking with is not necessarily the first Pokemon in your party. The Pokemon that you're walking with has the ability to use their Field Ability.

5. You also have the option to choose to ride on the Pokemon you're walking with. (Some field abilities, as mentioned earlier (Fly, Surf, etc.), require you to ride the Pokemon.) Not all Pokemon are ride-able, such as those Pokemon which are too small.

6. You can't just use a Pokemon's field abilities once you've caught them. Each field ability has certain requirements that you need to achieve first. These are mainly defeating the Gym Leaders. However, not all field abilities have to be unlocked this way. Field abilities that are not required to actually finish the game could be unlocked by a random NPC, for example, by completing a side-quest, mini-game, etc. These other Field Abilities could just be there to look cool, or could be used to unlock new areas or find new items in the game somehow.

7. (On the relationship between Riding, Walking, and Field Abilities:) Certain field abilities require you to ride the Pokemon, but you don't have to ride it before or after the ability is used. For example, while using Rock Climb, one could possibly just ride the Pokemon as it climbs the rocks, and it would return to the Pokeball later (the same way that Rock Climb normally works). Field abilities could be used by pressing "A" on whatever you want to use the ability on, like how we normally use HMs. They could also be used as you're walking with a Pokemon, by pressing "A" on the Pokemon, for example. Some abilities, like Flash, Pickup, Honey Gather etc. do require you to be walking with the Pokemon as you use them. When you're walking with Pokemon, there doesn't really have to be a reason for it, i.e. you can walk with a Pokemon even if you can't use any of its Field Abilities. Just for fun.

8. Random field ability ideas not already mentioned (with Pokemon that could have these abilities):
-Climbing on walls (Ariados, Galvantula)
-Causing weather effects to happen OUTSIDE battle (weather trio (obviously), Kami trio)
-Free Flying. Instead of how Fly normally works, by just taking you from one place to another, this kind of Flying allows you to actually roam the skies. (Rayquaza, most flying types, etc.)

Why "Field Abilities" are an improvement to the Pokemon games:

1. They reduce the need for HM slaves.
2. HMs are already becoming less useful in the newer games. IIRC, in B/W/2, the only HM required to beat the game was Surf, Waterfall, and Strength (maybe). And those are mostly at the end of the game.
3. Being able to Ride your own Pokemon would be awesome.
4. Everyone wants to see the Walking Pokemon feature return, and this would actually give GF a proper reason to do it. (Although, imo, just walking with Pokemon is still awesome.)

Alright, I think that's all I got, for now.

Last edited:
I think the one thing that needs to be improved upon comes from an idea that smash bros is using. For some, online battling can be a frustrating experience. You think your team is good enough to use against other trainers, though you can't do a single thing. The For Glory/For Fun mode could be nice for Pokemon. I think it could be great for some of the more casual Pokemon gamers who don't want to find themselves going up against the usual teams with a bunch of ubers. An online mode for casual trainers who don't focus to much on stuff like IV's, nature, classes, or EV's would just be great.

Last edited:
The HMs and TMs are kinda clunky, but I understand the point of them. It would be difficult to stray too far from the original gameplay of Pokemon without doing something totally different.

I would love to see a game similar to Smash Bros in that you actually take control of your Pokemon during a battle to fight other Pokemon completely in 3D. Each Pokemon would still only have 4 moves, and their stats would actually control how quickly the Pokemon walks, runs, dodges, and the power of their attacks. The controls could be simple. Joystick to move, and one button assigned to each attack. Obviously, there would be a lot of issues to address such as the size of Pokemon and how some can just fly out of reach, but I still think it could be doable.

As for the existing games, I always thought it would be cool if the Pokemon you released in an area could actually start appearing in random battles. Maybe if you released a breeding pair, their offspring could show up after a while with rare abilities or something? Eh, just a fun thought :)

As for the existing games, I always thought it would be cool if the Pokemon you released in an area could actually start appearing in random battles. Maybe if you released a breeding pair, their offspring could show up after a while with rare abilities or something? Eh, just a fun thought :)

Oh my god this is awesome!

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom