• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Explore A Dramatic New World!

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk
Reaction score
With the recent announcement of Pokemon Omega Ruby & Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, the teaser trailer drops a significant tagline at the end: "Explore A Dramatic New World!"

So, I'm curious. Could this be clever marketing by GameFreak? Are they just stoking the fire? Or are we really to expect a "new" world? What does that mean? I would imagine that because it's been over a decade since Ruby & Sapphire, GameFreak's core audience isn't as familiar with Hoenn as it may have been. But does that merit dubbing it a "new" world? Let me know what you think!

Here is press info
BELLEVUE, WA — May 7, 2014 — The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo announced today that Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire will launch worldwide in November 2014, exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Pokémon fans will collect, battle, and trade Pokémon in a new adventure.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire are a fresh take on Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire, which launched in 2003 and were fan-favorite hits on the Game Boy Advance system. The new titles promise to take players through a dramatic story within a spectacular new world.

Be sure to visit Pokemon.com frequently for more Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire news and information that will roll out leading up to the worldwide launch in November.

Visit Pokemon.com, Like the official Pokémon Facebook page at Facebook.com/Pokemon, and follow @Pokemon on Twitter.

Considering that it's been 12 years since Ruby and Sapphire were released in Japan (11 years internationally), I'm assuming that the wording is aimed at people who have never played the originals.

They didn't use any such wording when HGSS were announced, but they may just be more desperate to generate hype.

Well technically Hoenn in 3D is a new world. We never saw it in 3D. It will likely look so different that it's basically brand new. I'm sure they'll also be adding things which again does technically make it a brand new world. Or as Joshawott said most people haven't actually played the original Ruby and Sapphire so to those people it is a brand new world.

I doubt it means anything out of the ordinary. However, I will hope it means they will bring the Hoenn storyline up to the standards set by Platinum at the very least. Preferably BW standards, but I won't keep my hopes up too much.

peeing my pants out of excitement

Yeah, I also doubt it'll be anything new and spectacular, though I hope they'll upgrade the story a bit at least. I doubt we'll be getting something as good as the BW story ever again though, but I liked the Hoenn story for what it was, so just some minor adjustments to it and I'd be happy.

They didn't use any such wording when HGSS were announced, but they may just be more desperate to generate hype.

Not the exact wording itself, but to some extent HGSS were treated as new games instead of remakes, too. I clearly recall a couple of (Japanese) commercials/videos that didn't advertise HGSS as GSC's remakes, but as FRLG's sequels, therefore treating them as 'new' games. So this approach of announcing remakes as original games and claiming they're "new" is not new to Game Freak.

Furthermore, the press release itself says "a fresh take on Ruby and Sapphire", not "an all-original game that happens to have the same mascots", so I guess the games´s story and setting will remain the same, and the "new world" relates to the additional areas remakes tend to add.

So I think yes, the "new world" is meant to cause hype and nothing more, manipulating the idea that the series, being aimed at kids, means that the current target audience didn't play the original RSE and thus, for them, Hoenn will be a new world.

Granted, in XY we were promised a new region that we will see "in due time", and this could be the time to showcase it, but that would be half-assed and disrespectful for everybody (to RSE fans for altering the original story, to XY fans for not living up to the hype), so my bet is that while ORAS will feature new areas (akin to the Sevii Islands and West Johto), those will be limited to be accessory additions and not big changes, while the actual new world/region will be introduced in a different game.

Okay here's the thing. TPC has threw tradition out the window since the fist black and white games. With that being said has anyone thought of this. What if these are actually sequels set twelve yeas later. If that is the case it would explain the term new world. That is what i want to see. There is a very high possibility that it's just for the newer fans. Thats just one of my takes from this and I'll go more in depth later.

BTW Silktree do you really thin TPC needs to be desperate generate hype. Well I don't.

I'm just expecting a revamped Hoenn, nothing fancy like OMZ NEW REGION~

It's been a good 10 years and Hoenn's the only region to have never left the GBA graphics. Pretty much anything they do to it makes it a "New World."

BTW Silktree do you really thin TPC needs to be desperate generate hype. Well I don't.
What they need to do and what they actually do are two different things. If the wording is misleading, then yes, it's just unnecessary hype which I would call desperate.

If anything, I'd say that tagline is marketed towards the kids who weren't born yet when RS originally came out.

Let's say that there's a 7 year old kid whose first Pokémon games were Black/White. To this kid, everything prior to (and after, to a lesser extent) Unova is a "new world". Same way Kanto and Johto were "new worlds" for the kids playing FRLG and HGSS who weren't born when Gen I/II came out.

Maybe that new region that dude in the hotel talked about in X and Y will be the postgame or something...

What they need to do and what they actually do are two different things. If the wording is misleading, then yes, it's just unnecessary hype which I would call desperate.

not necessarily though because if its geared towards kids then its not really misleading

It's likely that they have changed hoenn to make it bigger or to add a second region. Isn't hoenn kinda small for modern pokemon game region standards?

not necessarily though because if its geared towards kids then its not really misleading
Yes, it still is because they're promoting the story as being brand new, which they didn't do for HGSS (referring to them as a tenth anniversary return to Johto). And kids are hardly the only players they should be considering.

Here's the original press release for HGSS. It's quite straightforward.

Yes, it still is because they're promoting the story as being brand new, which they didn't do for HGSS (referring to them as a tenth anniversary return to Johto). And kids are hardly the only players they should be considering.

With remakes they'll certainly be taking older fans into account, but Pokemon's primary audience is and always will be children. As such, they will be prioritized in development and advertizing.

With remakes they'll certainly be taking older fans into account, but Pokemon's primary audience is and always will be children. As such, they will be prioritized in development and advertizing.
The point is moot because they don't need to misrepresent remakes to kids, either.

to add to that i do thin the remakes are or the older fans first. they just have to be smart about.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom