• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

After Hoenn - Will the Remakes get Remakes?

GreatLiver

Well-Respected Member
Reaction score
As if on cue, with the announcement of RS remakes, jokes about Gen IV remakes and Sinnoh Confirmed are already beginning to be thrown around. We've now come to a weird place though where the most outdated games are actually remakes. FRLG are older games now than Emerald, which is very likely going to be absorbed into these remakes the same way HGSS drew heavily from Crystal.

Will we see remakes of remakes begin being made at some point down the line? We haven't had a chance to journey through a proper Kanto since 2004, even though HGSS's iteration of Kanto was far better than it had been in the original GS. Before we get to go back to Sinnoh, if that time ever comes, could we first end up going back to Kanto... again? The main Gen III games getting remade will make Gen I the sole generation now that cannot be played on a 3DS. IV, II, and V are all on the DS, and with ORAS V and III will be on the 3DS. Gen I though, is stuck on a GBA game.

Back when people started discussing Hoenn remakes during the announcement of HGSS, my biggest criticism to that idea was the fact that with remakes of Gen III's main games we would have to also need remakes of FRLG just to keep everything up to date and at the same level. We were given Gen I starters in XY, so I don't particularly think we'll see FRLG remakes within Gen VI, but I guess unlike most people, I think we'll be seeing those games remade before we see updated DPPt.

At least at the start, I don't mean this to be a thread about changes we'd like to see made to the Kanto games, but the plausibility of remake remakes as a whole. From what I remember, a number of people suspected that by this time we'd get massive, multi-region games to make up for the fact GF couldn't push out new titles and multiple remakes each generation. It seems pretty clearl that isn't what's happening here, so I'm interested to see other peoples' opinions on whether the next games slated for remakes are DPPt or FRLG.

It is a very awkward predicament .

Looking into the future into Generation 8, we could be due Generation 8 games, as well as remade Generation 5/6 games Generation 3 games and Generation 1 games.

I think Pokemon Origins was the only nod we will get to Gen 1 in this anniversary.

Well, although I do think we'll be returning to those regions some time in the future, I do think GF will try to make them drastically different, and they would make them sequels instead of remakes to do so.

So, this is how I think it will go:
Gen 7 or 8:
Sinnoh remakes/sequels
Gen 9 or 10:
Kanto re-remakes/sequels
Gen 10 or 11:
Unova remakes/sequel sequels
Gen 11 or 12:
Johto re-remakes/sequels

And then:
Gen 13 or 14 (assuming Pokemon will last this long, I HOPE IT DOES):
Hoenn re-remakes/sequels

And so on....

I don't think so. Little was missing from HGSS's Kanto and the Kanto starters were available in X and Y. There isn't a need for them right now.

I don't think the remakes- or any of Gen IV for that matter- needs remakes for now. With Gold and Silver, it was impossible to pass on any Pokemon to the new games, so the remakes fixed the availability of a lot of Johto Pokemon. With the Game Boy Advance games, passing a group of Pokemon requires a regular DS (that is, if the Game Boy slot still works) to transfer the Pokemon onto a DS cartridge, a Gen. IV game, another system, a Gen. V game, then a 3DS with either X or Y. Long process that needs multiple games and systems to work, and a few of them are outdated by several years. Right now, I don't think Gen. IV is old enough for a remake yet.

Besides, what on earth would they call the remakes of HG/SS? Heartgold 3D? Silversoul? Heartgold and Soulsilver 2? Same goes for Firered and Leafgreen. And even if they did remake the Kanto region, that'd set off yet another wave of Kanto hate. Again.

Last edited:
As it is right now, I don't think anything can be said. For the most part, this is just an announcement. We don't know if these will be outright remakes of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, or games set in Hoenn with a completely new story, or even a completely unrelated Region that so happens to have a story revolving around Kyogre and Groudon. While I won't deny the obviousness of remakes given similar patterns seen in FRLG/HGSS like the names and such, I will just remain open for any possibility.

That said, I hope they don't go for remakes of remakes. If anything, hopefully this game is actually a new story based in Hoenn as opposed to a remake, to set a precedent and that will mean that any old Region can now get a game and it won't necessarily be the same thing it was.

By the time the 3DS's successor comes out, GBA games might finally be available on eShop, and Game Freak might realize that they can use Pokebank for transferring Pokemon from these eShop games to the most current ones. So yeah, hopefully they'd have enough sense to just release FrLg on eShop.

As it is right now, I don't think anything can be said. For the most part, this is just an announcement. We don't know if these will be outright remakes of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, or games set in Hoenn with a completely new story, or even a completely unrelated Region that so happens to have a story revolving around Kyogre and Groudon. While I won't deny the obviousness of remakes given similar patterns seen in FRLG/HGSS like the names and such, I will just remain open for any possibility.

That said, I hope they don't go for remakes of remakes. If anything, hopefully this game is actually a new story based in Hoenn as opposed to a remake, to set a precedent and that will mean that any old Region can now get a game and it won't necessarily be the same thing it was.

As of now we don't even know which team is working on this game. There are two teams at Game Freak working on Pokemon games, the A-team who makes the first entry of a new region and the B-team who handles third versions (or at least I assume they do), remakes, and sequels. We know that because it was stated in an interview that X/Y began development shortly after B/W's release which means a secondary team worked on BW2. Then there's the fact that B/W would have entered development after Platinum's release. I'm hoping this is a sequel so it can open up the possibility of Sinnoh receiving a sequel. I'm excited to see Hoenn again if OR/AS is indeed set in Hoenn but Sinnoh has the most room for a sequel. If this is a sequel that means Game Freak is open to the possibility of sequels in old regions which is an exciting prospect.

Another thing is that we don't know that Nintendo's next handheld will even feature DS support. I mean they're shutting Wi-Fi support for DS games and that's a big sign right there that they're not going to keep on supporting it.

There lies an endless cycle that I hope we don't get into. Would we expect HeartGold/SoulSilver remakes after that? Currently we have six generations of Pokemon, six different regions, and the more main regions that are added, the further back certain regions are going to be pushed. Unless they start releasing more than one set of remakes in a generation (please no), inevitably some regions are going to go a very long time without a new game devoted to them.

I really, really hope not. As has been stated, there's no need for FRLGmakes whatsoever, and HGSS' Kanto was pretty damn complete on its own. I don't see any reason to go back to Kanto, especially since we've done so almost every single gen now.

I really, really hope not. As has been stated, there's no need for FRLGmakes whatsoever, and HGSS' Kanto was pretty damn complete on its own. I don't see any reason to go back to Kanto, especially since we've done so almost every single gen now.

We've not been to Kanto since Generation 4, I think there will come a time when demand is high for it again, but as I said elsewhere, I think Pokemon Origins was there way of skipping over the FRLG issue, they retold the story and retweaked it a bit to fit in with Gen 6 and that's that probably.

If there's any time for a game with Kanto as the focus, I think it'll come in 2016 when we have the 20th Anniversary of the release of Red & Green in Japan.

What more fulfilling way to celebrate than relive the entire adventure that started off the Pokemon franchise in amazing 3D graphics? Potentially on a new hand-held system?

As if on cue, with the announcement of RS remakes, jokes about Gen IV remakes and Sinnoh Confirmed are already beginning to be thrown around. We've now come to a weird place though where the most outdated games are actually remakes. FRLG are older games now than Emerald, which is very likely going to be absorbed into these remakes the same way HGSS drew heavily from Crystal.

Will we see remakes of remakes begin being made at some point down the line? We haven't had a chance to journey through a proper Kanto since 2004, even though HGSS's iteration of Kanto was far better than it had been in the original GS. Before we get to go back to Sinnoh, if that time ever comes, could we first end up going back to Kanto... again? The main Gen III games getting remade will make Gen I the sole generation now that cannot be played on a 3DS. IV, II, and V are all on the DS, and with ORAS V and III will be on the 3DS. Gen I though, is stuck on a GBA game.

Back when people started discussing Hoenn remakes during the announcement of HGSS, my biggest criticism to that idea was the fact that with remakes of Gen III's main games we would have to also need remakes of FRLG just to keep everything up to date and at the same level. We were given Gen I starters in XY, so I don't particularly think we'll see FRLG remakes within Gen VI, but I guess unlike most people, I think we'll be seeing those games remade before we see updated DPPt.

At least at the start, I don't mean this to be a thread about changes we'd like to see made to the Kanto games, but the plausibility of remake remakes as a whole. From what I remember, a number of people suspected that by this time we'd get massive, multi-region games to make up for the fact GF couldn't push out new titles and multiple remakes each generation. It seems pretty clearl that isn't what's happening here, so I'm interested to see other peoples' opinions on whether the next games slated for remakes are DPPt or FRLG.

Please no,god please no,I've had enough wth kanto

Though I would like to see Kanto remade very much, I'll admit it isn't necessary, or very likely to happen in the next few years. And if we somehow ended up with remakes, it would only start a horrible cycle of remake remakes, and possibly even remake remake remake remakes or something if Pokemon lasts that long.

When they do make another Kanto game, I'd expect it somewhere at an important time, like Pokemon's 25th anniversary or something. Maybe in 2016, if GameFreak wanted, for the 20th anniversary. I'd also kind of like a RGBY/GSC/FRLG/HGSS/whatever sequel, rather than a remake for the reason I wrote above.

uh yeah.

The problem is you aren't the target demo. Most kids in the target demo never started out in Pallet because the last time a game like that happened was a decade ago. It's the same as people bugging out over "discover a new adventure" or whatever that wording was on whether it refers to anybody or just 9 year old kids who never played RSE.

I hope not, because then Pokemon would never end. Which would not be good because let's face it; a series is never good when the creators start to run out of ideas. Maybe the very last game could be a final Kanto remake.....back to basics.

CrimsonFireRed and ArtichokeLeafGreen confirmed, this time with 15 additional Sevii Islands.

Do you know what I see? I see digital versions of the normal FireRed and LeafGreen being put onto the Nintendo E-Shop for 3DS. No need to remake it, just allow it to be used on the current Nintendo handheld. That's what they've already done with several older games. And when another DS system is made, put digital FRLG onto it's E-Shop, too.

It depends on popularity and how much can be improved, I think, but if they are going to re-remake games, it shouldn't be a straight remake, that's boring. They should do something more along the lines of a sequels and add areas, improve the regional dex, and maybe change the storyline. Kanto and Johto would especially benefit from something like this, they have some major design issues and could use drastic rehauls in almost every aspect to make the region feel truly modern. And since both of those regions are popular and nostalgic, I could see them doing that more than I could with newer regions like Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, or Kalos.

I don't think we will see Kanto yet, but when we do, I hope it will be set even further into the future than Gold/Silver and include Johto, but you start in Kanto this time around.

Back
Top Bottom