• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Boxart Hint New Form for Weather Trio?

According to Serebii Pokemon Company confirmed that the Groudon and Kyogre on the covers are new pokemons. Here : Serebii.net - Where Legends Come To Life

The same thing was said about Mega Mewtwo Y.

Besides, it's doubtful they'd add new Pokemon mid-generation.

Not-quite-edit: Ninja'd, maybe?

That was what Serebii said too. But this does prove that there is a new form/Mega and not just something fancy they added for fun.

Past patches were only made to correct game breaking bugs. I highly doubt that they're going to bother to include a patch with the codes necessary for the items to function properly, not to mention the new mega Pokémons. A certain hacker from Twitter has already datamined the entire game and have revealed all there is to expect from future events. So the only thing I expect from them were stat boost to go with the new forms and nothing else.

But we have next week's CoroCoro to clarify this, along with Nintendo direct.

Past patches were only made to correct game breaking bugs. I highly doubt that they're going to bother to include a patch with the codes necessary for the items to function properly, not to mention the new mega Pokémons. A certain hacker from Twitter has already datamined the entire game and have revealed all there is to expect from future events. So the only thing I expect from them were stat boost to go with the new forms and nothing else.

A patch to correct bugs and a patch to add new content are no different, in both cases you are adding new data to a game, the only difference is why you are doing such thing. Also, we already know Groudon and Kyogre are getting new forms, since they are being called "New Pokémon" by Nintendo/Game Freak themselves. That means Game Freak will have to patch X/Y to add the forms in the OR/AS box arts to the game or else OR/AS will be incompatible with X/Y.

So they're describing the Groudon & Kyogre seen on the box arts as 'Never before seen Pokemon'. Interesting, it matches how they initially described Kyurem's forms in B2W2.

That nigh on confirms them as some kind of form change or mega evolution, then. When I first saw them I first cast it off as just the way they'd been drawn, but the more I look, they do look different in several ways to their original appearances.

This does raise the question, though - will Rayquaza get the same treatment?

Last edited:
This does raise the question, though - will Rayquaza get the same treatment?

I'd imagine that it will as I can't see their leader of sorts not get the same toy the other two are getting, particularly since it's a very popular Pokémon on its own.

On that same note, I also wouldn't be surprised if it got something a bit more special then those two, either a slightly more notable Mega form, or even joining Charizard and Mewtwo in getting two of its own.

I'd imagine that it will as I can't see their leader of sorts not get the same toy the other two are getting, particularly since it's a very popular Pokémon on its own.

On that same note, I also wouldn't be surprised if it got something a bit more special then those two, either a slightly more notable Mega form, or even joining Charizard and Mewtwo in getting two of its own.

Like Mega Rayquaza Ω and Mega Rayquaza α? I can see that happening. It'd be pretty cool if it took on new types, too.

A patch to correct bugs and a patch to add new content are no different, in both cases you are adding new data to a game, the only difference is why you are doing such thing. Also, we already know Groudon and Kyogre are getting new forms, since they are being called "New Pokémon" by Nintendo/Game Freak themselves. That means Game Freak will have to patch X/Y to add the forms in the OR/AS box arts to the game or else OR/AS will be incompatible with X/Y.

No, D/P were still compatible with Platinum, but I agree with the patches used to put these formes in X/Y.

Both new formes seem smoother, and their markings glow with lava and an icy blue. Groudon's chest in particular is changed a lot. Notice how on its hand, the lines make an omega. Kyogre probably has alpha markings.

Interesting... I'm leaning towards formes myself, but either breathes New life into them, which is awesome. Due to the lava/blue on their markings, I'd say Ground/Fire and Water/Ice. Oddly enough, this covers all the weather types...

I'm guessing Rayquaza will have a form or two.

No, D/P were still compatible with Platinum, but I agree with the patches used to put these formes in X/Y.
Where did I say anything about D/P and Platinum not being compatible?

Oh, by the way, lets not forget patches some times are required to play online or even simply run some 3DS games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make an obligatory patch for X/Y and OR/AS to be able to connect with each other (or something similar).

Where did I say anything about D/P and Platinum not being compatible?

Oh, by the way, lets not forget patches some times are required to play online or even simply run some 3DS games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make an obligatory patch for X/Y and OR/AS to be able to connect with each other (or something similar).

I was comparing it to the current situation. Giratina-O acted like a normal Giratina with no item if you versed a D/P player, and if you tried to trade the Griseous Orb to those games, it'd go back to your bag. This could be the case with these two and any item/MS needed.

I want patches and they are likely, but not as needed as people point out.

Yes. Speaking of patch, someone posted an excellent explanation on NeoGAF about how patches could work perfectly in X&Y:

Regarding new Mega Evolutions in OR/AS:

I think new Mega Evolutions are likely to happen. However, any new Mega Evolutions in OR/AS will not be tradeable to X/Y. A patch will be required for X/Y to connect to OR/AS, which will contain the data for the new Mega Evolutions, but will only allow them to be battled, not traded.

This is because update data is stored on the SD card. By removing the SD card, you can downgrade physical copies back to version 1.0, which will cause problems if new Mega Stones are traded over. In addition, the developers will want competitive players to buy the new games; adding new Mega Evolutions that can't be traded back to X/Y is a good way of doing this.

Mega Latias/Latios will be released for Pokémon X/Y roughly when OR/AS launch for promotional reasons, and might unlock an event in OR/AS when traded over (like the Regigigas event for D/P that unlocked Regice/Regirock/Registeel in Platinum).
I am still not sure if they are going to give us more Mega Evolutions and patch X/Y, because hey, we're talking about Game Freak/Nintendo here, but it IS perfectly possible.

While I acknowledge that makes sense, my experience tells me he is wrong. While it might be true that patches and updates are stored in the SD card, removing it doesn't revert the game to v. 1.0, it simply leaves the game unplayable until you put it back. If you either try to even start up game without a SD inserted, or remove your SD while playing, an error message appears and gameplay stops permanently (that is, you can't just resume your game by reinserting in the card, you have to actually reset the game). I experienced this several times due to a faulty connector on my original SD.

Therefore, in the scenario mentioned by the NeoGaf user, where you have a ORAS Pokémon in XY and then
remove the SD card, instead of the game crashing and/or your file being corrupted (due to having a non-existent Pokémon), the game will simply request you to restart it, easily resolving (or more precisely, actually avoiding completely) the issue.

Tl;dr: it is still likely you can trade OR AS Pokémon to a patched XY and the scenario mentioned won't necessarily happen, as removing the SD card will simply prevent you from cointinuing the game, therefore, it won't crash your save file.

Last edited:
I was comparing it to the current situation. Giratina-O acted like a normal Giratina with no item if you versed a D/P player, and if you tried to trade the Griseous Orb to those games, it'd go back to your bag. This could be the case with these two and any item/MS needed.
But that solution would be particularly awkward if applied to Mega Evolution, as the transformation takes place during battle. There is a reason why Pirouette Forme was included in Black and White while the other legendary Formes weren't. With 3DS games being patchable, there is no reason not to create a patch.

Re: Hoenn Remake Confirmed- Boxart Hint New Form for Weather Trio?

Bout time. Thing is though, R/S are set like 20 years before X/Y.

R/S/E/OR/AS take place at the same time as R/G/B/Y/FR/LG

three years later

D/P/Pt and G/S/C/HG/SS

approx. five years later (unconfirmed)

B/W

two years later

B2/W2

So it's more like 15 years lol

three years later

D/P/Pt and G/S/C/HG/SS

B/W

two years later

B2/W2

It was confirmed a few days ago that B2W2 and XY are contemporary, so no, it isn't 15 years later, it is significantly less than that. By the way, there is no need to put RB and GSC in the timeline, these games are not canon anymore, since they were remade. In fact, GS stopped being canon far before the remakes, when Crystal was released. Emerald will stop being canon soon as well (as GS, RS aren't canon since the release of Emerald). And as far as I know, Yellow was never canon either, since it has anime characters and stuff, right?

By the way, there is no need to put RB and GSC in the timeline, these games are not canon anymore, since they were remade. In fact, GS stopped being canon far before the remakes, when Crystal was released. Emerald will stop being canon soon as well (as GS, RS aren't canon since the release of Emerald). And as far as I know, Yellow was never canon either, since it has anime characters and stuff, right?

Well, I think it's disputable. Yellow SEEMS like it should be canon based off what Red's team is in every game after it. (He has all three starters and Pikachu). But you could just say he got those other starters later on off-screen. So, I'm not sure.
Also, although I agree that HG/SS is mostly canon over Crystal, I think in some places, it's more convenient to use Crystal's canon when ever HG and SS are contradictory. I just think having ONE canon is better than two contradictory ones.
The thing is, although canon is supposed to be official, it is we, the fans, that actually care about it and create these rules where newer games are canon over older ones and such.
Which, if you ask me, is quite ironic. :p.

Well, I think it's disputable. Yellow SEEMS like it should be canon based off what Red's team is in every game after it. (He has all three starters and Pikachu). But you could just say he got those other starters later on off-screen. So, I'm not sure.
Also, although I agree that HG/SS is mostly canon over Crystal, I think in some places, it's more convenient to use Crystal's canon when ever HG and SS are contradictory. I just think having ONE canon is better than two contradictory ones.
The thing is, although canon is supposed to be official, it is we, the fans, that actually care about it and create these rules where newer games are canon over older ones and such.
Which, if you ask me, is quite ironic. :p.
Hm, I didn't know that, never really played Yellow, only Blue.

Well, that is up to you, but I don't see any logic in using an obsolete game as canon, when the events of said game were changed significantly in an upgraded version. =]

Edit: Although, after B2W2, it is just silly to care about canon in Pokémon. The Pokémon World Tournament fucked up whatever canon the series had before.

I guess I am a silly person...

In Halo, the official policy is that new material supersedes older material, and I think that's a good general guideline.

three years later

D/P/Pt and G/S/C/HG/SS

B/W

two years later

B2/W2

It was confirmed a few days ago that B2W2 and XY are contemporary, so no, it isn't 15 years later, it is significantly less than that. By the way, there is no need to put RB and GSC in the timeline, these games are not canon anymore, since they were remade. In fact, GS stopped being canon far before the remakes, when Crystal was released. Emerald will stop being canon soon as well (as GS, RS aren't canon since the release of Emerald). And as far as I know, Yellow was never canon either, since it has anime characters and stuff, right?

WAIT, when were B2W2 and XY confirmed to take place at the same time?! :shake:

So then it's around 10 years more or less. And everyone always groups the originals with the remakes. Force of habit.

Worth noting?
AquaMagmaAlphaOmega.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom