• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

So.. Ruby and Saphire remakes are on their way, who else thinks that Ash will get at least 1 pokemon from that region in his team.

Don't see it.
Ash already got most of the Hoenn Pokemon that would seem to fit him in his run through the region(Sceptile, Swellow, Torkoal, Corphish, Glaile).
Other than maybe Altaria or Flygon, none of the others really fit his style; and I would have thought they'd have put one on his team back then if they wanted him to have one.

They didn't put any Johto pokemon on his team when they redid Gold and Silver so I don't see them doing it with a Hoenn Poke this go around.
We can probably assume they intend to stick with just the Gen VI Pokemon for Ash's team.

I think that for Ash's team he's only going to catch Gen VI Pokémon. It's the best way to showcase them, and it's something they have done in the past sagas. Now I know it's a bit stupid of me to be referencing past trends considering all the new things they're doing this time, but I think it's something they're going to stick with.

If anyone is going to get Hoenn Pokémon I believe it will be Serena. I'm actually guessing that she's going to get a Mudkip, to be honest. I think that the Hoenn starters are the most likely candidates to get picked to showcase ORAS instead of just dex fillers. The reason I think she's going to get a Mudkip and not anything else is because Ash already had Treecko, and she has a fire-type already with Fennekin. I know that Brock had a Mudkip too, but it got the least focus out of all the starters in AG and never fully evolved.

I know there's a possibility of Clemont getting one too, but in my opinion he has enough Pokémon, especially if he's going to catch that Flabébé. I would rather see his current Pokémon further develop before he gets anything else, but that's just my opinion.

It seems that Hawlucha is not simply a one-shot character in a Pikachu short, as it appears in the manga adaptation of the latest movie, particularly with Ash. The only question that remains is whether or not Hawlucha is part of the team or is a movie character that aids Ash (and apparently another comic scan shows Serena riding on a Rhyhorn).

MangaScan02_zps6b80c84b.jpg Photo by EFH7394 | Photobucket

It seems that Hawlucha is not simply a one-shot character in a Pikachu short, as it appears in the manga adaptation of the latest movie, particularly with Ash. The only question that remains is whether or not Hawlucha is part of the team or is a movie character that aids Ash (and apparently another comic scan shows Serena riding on a Rhyhorn).

MangaScan02_zps6b80c84b.jpg Photo by EFH7394 | Photobucket
83xBOGQ.jpg

Really hoping Ash catches the Greninja. He needs a second cool Pokémon in his team ASAP (Froakie is the only one, at the moment). All of his previous Fighting Pokémon were amusing to watch, so I am really excited for Hawlucha.

Now I'm excited!

Hawlucha is one of my favoruite Gen VI Pokémon, and for it to be captured by Ash is actually somewhat unexpected! I bet that the next episode to be revealed will be the episode where Hawlucha is to be captured. Regarding Rhyhorn, I doubt it's Serena's. The scan also shows something that looks like a farm where a couple more Rhyhorn are seen, so they probably only borrowed it from there.

I'm starting to doubt this is even Ash's Pokemon, he never once releases it from its ball, it could easily be a wild Pokemon he befriends that decides to help the group. It's getting a pretty large amount of screen time for a non-starter Pokemon in a Pokemon movie and is often seen out of its ball next to Pikachu and Ash. Ash does release Froakie from a PokeBall though to fight Marilyn Flame, but never releases Hawlucha to join the fight. It's always there to save him or Pikachu when they need it, I'm betting it fights Mega Absol under his command or on its own. Notice it gets merch next to Pikachu, Diancie, Klefeki, Amaura and Tyrunt. That leads me to believe its a movie-exclusive Pokemon.

I'm starting to doubt this is even Ash's Pokemon, he never once releases it from its ball, it could easily be a wild Pokemon he befriends that decides to help the group. It's getting a pretty large amount of screen time for a non-starter Pokemon in a Pokemon movie and is often seen out of its ball next to Pikachu and Ash. Ash does release Froakie from a PokeBall though to fight Marilyn Flame, but never releases Hawlucha to join the fight. It's always there to save him or Pikachu when they need it, I'm betting it fights Mega Absol under his command or on its own. Notice it gets merch next to Pikachu, Diancie, Klefeki, Amaura and Tyrunt. That leads me to believe its a movie-exclusive Pokemon.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Hawlucha has an upcoming appearance in the anime, which is when most people believe Ash will catch it.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Hawlucha has an upcoming appearance in the anime, which is when most people believe Ash will catch it.

Who says it's the same Hawlucha, I'm aware it's appearing soon. Korrina is debuting soon as well or this could simply be a stalking Pokemon like Jigglypuff/Krokorok. Nothing is absolute so far.

Who says it's the same Hawlucha, I'm aware it's appearing soon. Korrina is debuting soon as well or this could simply be a stalking Pokemon like Jigglypuff/Krokorok. Nothing is absolute so far.

You have a point, though personally I believe it's the same one. Just because Ash didn't release/recall Hawlucha doesn't necessarily mean that it's not his. Of course, it doesn't mean that it is his either, but hey, I'm just speculatin'.

I can see your point that it's not a sure thing, but at the same time, there's a lot of coincidences that are starting to build up for this particular Pokémon that I don't think the circumstance is that easily ignorable. As of right now, we've seen in three unrelated instances via the short, actual movie and base anime, we see Ash thank it for saving Pikachu, he also is shown to be commanding it in the manga and there is that merchandise that had "Ash's Pokémon" above it. Collectively, that does more to hint at it being Ash's Pokémon then it being a random Pokémon that has happened to sneak into three almost entirely different instances, regardless of him not calling it out of its Pokeball. Similarly, the Krokorok comparison actually supports that as he didn't appear in a movie before his capture, and him following Ash led to him being captured by him later.

So in short, there's a lot more going for it to be Ash's Pokémon then not, it's not impossible for it to not get captured, but there's a lot more to support that prospect then there is otherwise.

Last edited:
I can see your point that it's not a sure thing, but at the same time, there's a lot of coincidences that are starting to build up for this particular Pokémon that I don't think the circumstance is that easily ignorable. As of right now, we've seen in three unrelated instances via the short, actual movie and base anime, we see Ash thank it for saving Pikachu,
He thanks it, I don't see how that makes it his Pokemon.
he also is shown to be commanding it in the manga
No he doesn't, in the pages we're given so far he never orders it. It acts on its own in saving him as well.
and there is that merchandise that had "Ash's Pokémon" above it.
The tag that could have easily have just been referring to Fletchinder.
Collectively, that does more to hint at it being Ash's Pokémon then it being a random Pokémon that has happened to sneak into three almost entirely different instances, regardless of him not calling it out of its Pokeball.
I'm just saying, fans are jumping the gun on this a bit. It always happens, just like with the Battle Chateau and Fletchling's speculated evolution. Ash is seen calling Froakie for help, but never once calls Hawlucha. It's always outside of its Poke Ball. It's getting a pretty great amount of screen time, especially for a non-starter. Again, who says the two Hawlucha are the same? I see one in the anime that could easily belong to Korrina or be a stalking Pokemon.
Similarly, the Krokorok comparison actually supports that as he didn't appear in a movie before his capture, and him following Ash led to him being captured by him later.
Okay, I'm not exactly adverse to the capture.

So in short, there's a lot more going for it to be Ash's Pokémon then not, it's not impossible for it to not get captured, but there's a lot more to support that prospect then there is otherwise.
Not really, YMMV it seems.

He thanks it, I don't see how that makes it his Pokemon.

I didn't say it did on its own.

No he doesn't, in the pages we're given so far he never orders it. It acts on its own in saving him as well.

It was used in a battle against Ayaka and Ash was facing off against her, at the very least, that implies that he was ordering it.

The tag that could have easily have just been referring to Fletchinder.

Could've, but it still was over it, so it's a possibility nonetheless.

I'm just saying, fans are jumping the gun on this a bit. It always happens, just like with the Battle Chateau and Fletchling's speculated evolution.

Unlike those cases, I'd say there's more going for this particular capture then those situations.

Ash is seen calling Froakie for help, but never once calls Hawlucha.

It was used in the battle against Ayaka and helped Pikachu, the only difference is that we don't see a Pokeball.

It's getting a pretty great amount of screen time, especially for a non-starter.

I don't see the time thing really going against it, we only see it at the battle with Ayaka and saving Pikachu, that doesn't mean it got an exceptionally great amount of time in the movie. For all we know, that could be the extent of it. As for the special, it's not unusual for other cast Pokémon to get a good amount of screentime outside of the starters and Pikachu in them.

Again, who says the two Hawlucha are the same? I see one in the anime that could easily belong to Korrina or be a stalking Pokemon.

It's more like three actually as it's appearing in the special as well. The thing is with the theories is that the capture theory more clearly explains there being three different appearances (as if it's Ash's, then it can easily appear in all three) by this Pokémon while the others have more flaws.

Last edited:
Bottom line: Although the signs are there that Ash will catch Hawlucha, it has not yet officially been confirmed.

Let's wait for that particular episode.

In the last aired episode i expected Serena to catch a Swirlix, but that didn't go through.

About the Rhyhorn comments, wasn't that a standalone episode for the Rhyhorn race?

Bottom line: Although the signs are there that Ash will catch Hawlucha, it has not yet officially been confirmed.

Let's wait for that particular episode.

In the last aired episode i expected Serena to catch a Swirlix, but that didn't go through.

About the Rhyhorn comments, wasn't that a standalone episode for the Rhyhorn race?

Just wanted to point out that Serena obtaining a Swirlix didn't have as much potential evidence as Ash obtaining a Hawlucha. We just had a clip of her being surrounded by a horde of Swirlix, with Fennekin attempting to battle them.

Here we see Ash and Hawlucha flying several times together, Ash commanding Hawlucha in battle, Hawlucha saving his Pikachu and additionally, Hawlucha was on that preview poster for the movie in addition to Ash's other Pokemon.

Ash is using the Hawlucha in battle in that scan, which wouldn't happen unless he actually caught it. Hawlucha was also used in the other scan.

If it belonged to somebody else, or if it were wild, surely the scan would mention either.

Back
Top Bottom