• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
Regarding patches, would it be possible for an unupdated XY game to download the patch from a copy of ORAS if they tried to connect? That seems like the easiest way to handle it, if it's possible.
It should be possible for local wireless communication; that's how FRLG and Emerald (and the GameCube games) could send a patch to Ruby and Sapphire to fix the berry glitch. For online communication, XY players would simply be required to download the patch to use the online features.

As for getting new forms at all, I was skeptical about it happening due to the unreleased Lati@s megas in XY- if they could patch everything in afterwards, why bother including those two to begin with?-
Probably because Latiasite and Latiosite are event-exclusive items that will be distributed to XY even prior to ORAS' release, or at least that was the original intention. Failing that, the extra Mega Evolutions weren't deliberately excluded from XY so much as they simply didn't have complete designs by XY's release, with Mega Latias and Latios being an exception.

On the other hand, there's a large amount of gen 3 Megas already, and I'm not sure GF would add more- or, conversely, if they were planning on adding more Megas in the Hoenn remakes, they would have held back some of the G3 megas and just introduced them in ORAS rather than XY.
Game Freak don't necessarily see ORAS as an opportunity to add Generation III Mega Evolutions so much as Mega Evolutions in general. Beyond the mascots and starters, I don't think that they should capitalize on Generation III in particular.

The problem with patching XY is that it is possible to delete patches. What would happen if we traded new Mega Stones from ORAS to XY, and then deleted the patch that allowed us to do so after the fact? Or even just inserted the cartridge into a different 3DS that never had the patch installed?

Something I'd like to see is Mega Evolutions given to not fully evolved Pokémon that stand out significantly from their fully evolved forms - Scyther, for example, has the same BST as Scizor, but a different typing and distribution. It'd be interesting to see a Mega Scyther to contrast with Mega Scizor. Electabuzz and Magmar are both faster than their final evolutions, but are significantly weaker offensively. Why not try giving them Mege Evolutions that accentuate this difference from Electivire and Magmortar?

Additionally, the other pseudo-legendaries should get Mega Evolutions. It only makes sense.

Something I'd like to see is Mega Evolutions given to not fully evolved Pokémon that stand out significantly from their fully evolved forms - Scyther, for example, has the same BST as Scizor, but a different typing and distribution. It'd be interesting to see a Mega Scyther to contrast with Mega Scizor. Electabuzz and Magmar are both faster than their final evolutions, but are significantly weaker offensively. Why not try giving them Mege Evolutions that accentuate this difference from Electivire and Magmortar?

But then what happens if you evolve them? Do their Mega Evolutions suddenly become unusable?

But then what happens if you evolve them? Do their Mega Evolutions suddenly become unusable?

I'd assume so. The Light Ball works for Pikachu but not Raichu, so it seems logical the same would work here if it were to exist.

I'd assume so. The Light Ball works for Pikachu but not Raichu, so it seems logical the same would work here if it were to exist.

I can't see them doing that with Mega Evolutions, those are a bit more game changing, and it'd be a bit ridiculous if you could simply lose them that easily.

Also, isn't Mega Evolution essentially described as being an extra power boost for a fully evolved Pokemon? That pretty much confirms that they're intended for fully evolved Pokemon.

Mega Flygon or mega Salamence?

these two are the dragons in Hoenn that you can get multiple of.
which will you choose?...:secret

MEGA FLYGON,
OR
MEGA SALAMENCE?!!!

:bash:

I can't see them doing that with Mega Evolutions, those are a bit more game changing, and it'd be a bit ridiculous if you could simply lose them that easily.

The examples given all require trade evolutions with held items. That's hardly easy to lose. There aren't really that many (if at all) Pokemon that fit into the same criteria as Scyther/Scizor that simply evolve by level up. I mean really, its easier to lose Mega Stones by tossing the items.

EDIT:
I kind of want a Mega Snorlax

M-Snorlax
Ability: Bulky fat (increases physical defense by one stage)
HP: 160
Atk: 150
Def: 80
SpA: 80
SpD: 140
Spe: 30

Everything on this should be self-explanatory. I increased SpA simply because Mega Evolutions currently do waste stat increases on pointless stats that would not at all be helpful. I created a new ability similar to fur coat--Snorlax's fat loses its insulating quality but can now absorb physical hits better. A base 80 defense with this ability makes it slightly stronger than its special defense.

Last edited:
The problem with patching XY is that it is possible to delete patches. What would happen if we traded new Mega Stones from ORAS to XY, and then deleted the patch that allowed us to do so after the fact? Or even just inserted the cartridge into a different 3DS that never had the patch installed?
Either the patch will only allow for battle compatibility, or the Mega Stones will turn into ghost data if the patch becomes inaccessible. Since they're just items, the Pokémon will still be usable.

As my other post states, I love Flygon and Salamence.
but I really want to see mega Flygon,

Mega Flygon
ability: tough claws
stats:
HP:90
A:120
D:80
SPA:100
SPD:80
S:120

The examples given all require trade evolutions with held items. That's hardly easy to lose. There aren't really that many (if at all) Pokemon that fit into the same criteria as Scyther/Scizor that simply evolve by level up. I mean really, its easier to lose Mega Stones by tossing the items.

Actually, on that note, Mega evolutions for Pokemon like Scyther, Electabuzz and Magmar could give something to players who don't have a chance to trade for their evolutions, or the time or skills to BP-grind for the relevant items. That would be pretty nice by itself.

I can see the Johto starters getting mega evolution, since Birch would give you a Johto starter for completing the Hoenn dex in R/S/E (At least I think it was the Hoenn dex, but I know you could get one of 'em through special requirements)

I can see the Johto starters getting mega evolution, since Birch would give you a Johto starter for completing the Hoenn dex in R/S/E (At least I think it was the Hoenn dex, but I know you could get one of 'em through special requirements)

He gave the starters in Emerald as a bonus, he didn't in Ruby and Sapphire.

Nonetheless, that is a good point, particularly with HGSS in mind which allowed for three different sets of starters to be chosen from. Due to that along with XY's treatment of the Kanto starters, it's definitely possible that they'll be obtainable and get a Mega Evolution along with that access.

I recently realized that I would really like Celebi to get a Mega Evolution, and become Bug/Psychic or Grass/Fairy... or Bug/Fairy :p any of those would be a better type combination, and it would be the first of the 'group formerly called fairy' to get one. It wouldnt need a stat boost so much as a stat reorganization and a type change, but I wont say no to a stat boost xD

EDIT:
I kind of want a Mega Snorlax

M-Snorlax
Ability: Bulky fat (increases physical defense by one stage)
HP: 160
Atk: 150
Def: 80
SpA: 80
SpD: 140
Spe: 30

Everything on this should be self-explanatory. I increased SpA simply because Mega Evolutions currently do waste stat increases on pointless stats that would not at all be helpful. I created a new ability similar to fur coat--Snorlax's fat loses its insulating quality but can now absorb physical hits better. A base 80 defense with this ability makes it slightly stronger than its special defense.

For clarification, does Fur Coat essentially equal a 1+ Defense boost?

Because if not, then I think your Mega Snorlax should just have the ability Fur Coat, if not under a different name. That would be a neat Mega Evolution.

You know what would add to the awesomeness? If on top of them getting Mega Evolutions they also managed to give you the Johto Starter you choose with its Hidden Ability. I dream of the day where I can legitimately use a Sheer Force Feraligatr ;_; As well as Contrary Serperior and Reckless Emboar who should also get Megas.

You know what would add to the awesomeness? If on top of them getting Mega Evolutions they also managed to give you the Johto Starter you choose with its Hidden Ability. I dream of the day where I can legitimately use a Sheer Force Feraligatr ;_; As well as Contrary Serperior and Reckless Emboar who should also get Megas.

That WOULD be really cool, but they could also re-introduce the Friend Safari, and maybe OR/AS players have different Pokemon?
So, like, in X and Y Friend Safaris can have the mid-evolution of both Kanto and Kalos starters. Maybe OR/AS could have the mid-evolutions of Hoenn and Johto starters, and that's how we'd get those Hidden Abilities.
(This is also all assuming both the Friend Safari and Johto Starters happen)

I hope we get as few Mega Evolutions as possible. The starters are already given, then I hope we get Megas for some of the less popular ones. I don't want Dunsparce or Farfetch'd to get one; I want a proper evolution for them. My 3 guesses for Hoenn Megas are Tropius, Altaria and Metagross. I sure hope Salamence won't get one. But it's very likely it will, considering Garchomp and Tyranitar got it. *sigh*

Flygon defintely need a Mega Evo mainly because of the existence of Garchomp, Garchomp has been overshadowing Flygon since Gen 4, something like Bug/Dragon with with higher Special Attack and give him access to Quiver Dance.

Back
Top Bottom