• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XYS01: Mega Evolution Special I

Re: Mega Evolution I

SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME MEGA CHARIZARD!!!

If this is the sort of thing Charizard is capable of after Megavolving, Ash really needs to bring his back. A battle between him and Alan would be AWESOME! And since Alan has Megazard X, Ash should probably get Megazard Y. That'd be a great way to see which one's stronger.

Speaking of Ash, Mairin name-dropping him is a good way to tie this into canon and make it more likely that Ash and Alan will eventually cross paths. (And when they do, I wonder how Serena will react to Mairin's fangirling...)

Just outta curiosity, why does Alan pronounce his name A-lan instead of Al-an? Too cool to say it like everyone else?

Siebold has a Gyarados in the games, a species that can Megavolve. So why does the anime give him a Blastoise? Not a complaint, just a question.

And how exactly does Lysandre fit into all this? And could this influence Ash's eventual conflict with Team Flare? And will Alan eventually have to decide which side he's really on? This could be really good setup, assuming TPTB follow through on it.

Re: Mega Evolution I

Allright Review Time. Mega Evolution Special and I'm going to say that this was Alright I thought. And this is Considered Cannon since a certain someone is mentioned.

Alain to Me is VERY BORING AND DULL. There;s NOTHING Interesting about him. but he's still Ok it's just I Wish he had been Given some more Character I thought. His Charizard/Mega Charizard X was Cool I thought.

Marinn was a Nice Character. :) Her Chespin WAS REALLY ADORABLE. But her Falling Down Cliché Gag is NOT REALLY Funny because they did this with Bianca. But I Liked her.

Astrid the Mega Absol User who looks an Ace Trainer from XY LOL, She was Cool I thought, she sounded Eh Alright but it doesn't matter.

The Garchomp Trainer was Weird

Now Siebold, WOW HE WAS COOL, he acts just like Cilan with his Taste Talk LOL, His Mega Blastoise was Cool. Eli James as Siebold WAS AWESOME, using his Colress Voice.

Now I Fanboyed when Ash was mentioned so this is Considered Cannon. And I Enjoyed it.

Now for the Best part, UMMMMMM......... Lysandre CAMEO FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOO COOL AND AWESOME GO Lysandre! I'M PUMPED FOR WHEN HE Returns! :)

Ok my Overall thoughts, this was Alright NOTHING TOO TOO Special for Me at least but Enjoyable. Seeing the Mega Pokemon were Cool. I will Give this a 6.2

Whoever saw the dub, can you tell me how they pronounced Alan's name in the dub? Because bulbapedia listed his name as 'Alain', dunno if that's a French name, but is his name pronounced as the common 'Alan', or differently?

EDIT: @DracoMan; so it was just 'Alan'?

Wonder what is with the 'i' in his name...?

This was so awesome. I loved seeing all the Megas. The battles were amazingly done and Blast Burn looked awesome. I'm surprised Absol wasn't totally scorched. But my all-time favorite was Mega Blastoise's Dragon Pulse. I liked how all of the Pokémon had some sort of accessory to hold their Mega Stone, like Astrid‘s Megearing and Absol’s neklace, Charizard’s collar, Remo’s umbrella and Garchoo’s collar and Siebold’s necktie and Blastoise’s...headband…thingy…whatever. Though, I’m surprised that they pronounced Alain’s name like they did. Weird.

Alain was cool really. I liked seeing his and Charizard's relationship and he seems to be a really competent battler. I loved how smart-alecky he was when dealing with other trainers like Remo and Mairin; telling Remo that he was an amateur for not knowing Mega Charizard’s secondary type, and I lolled when he told Mairin, “Pokémon evolve, not people”. He took the words straight out of my mouth.

Ok, I didn’t care much for Mairin in the original, but now I fully understand her true colors and I can honestly say that I f*cking hate her. First of all, that falling down got really annoying fast. I hate overdone running gags like this. Then she acts like a stalker and pesters Alain with questions constantly. Oh and of course she has the nerve to suggest that that she’ll eventually mater Mega Evolution and beat Alain but then struggles to battle a Flabebe seconds later and needs Alain’s help with the whole process. And who the f*ck does she think she is yelling at Alain saying that he “can’t just leave her” and calling herself his travel buddy. He has no reason to even acknowledge her presence. She should be glad that he’s letting her stalk him, cuz if that was me, I’d utterly destroy her Chespie, force her to run and trip and fall all the way to the nearest Pokemon Center, and ditch her faster than an Arcanine’s Extreme Speed. Though if I can say one nice thing about Mairin, and there isn’t much, I do like how she names her Pokémon. Unfortunately, that isn’t nearly enough to make me the slightest bit fond of her.

I was surprised that Ash got mentioned here. I really liked the scene where Alain and Sycamore were talking in his garden and all the Pokémon came up to them to get petted. Especially that Psyduck. Oh, and LYSANDRE FTW! Overall, I enjoyed the special and can't wait to see it continue. I’ll give the entire special minus Mairin 8/10 since it doesn’t deserve to lose points because of her. Mairin on her own gets a -.1/10.

Last edited:
Whoever saw the dub, can you tell me how they pronounced Alan's name in the dub? Because bulbapedia listed his name as 'Alain', dunno if that's a French name, but is his name pronounced as the common 'Alan', or differently?

It was pronounced Ah-lane and spelled "Alain". TPCi probably did this because there's already a character named Alan in the English dub. He was a character of the day back in the Sinnoh.

See here: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Alan

There have been a few name changes in the past that were likely for the exact same reason.

It was pronounced Ah-lane and spelled "Alain". TPCi probably did this because there's already a character named Alan in the English dub. He was a character of the day back in the Sinnoh.

There have been a few name changes in the past that were likely for the exact same reason.

That didn't stop Bianca (Gen5) from having the same name as Bianca (Lati@s Movie), though. Meh, not that it matters much. Too bad they changed the name when Alan sounds way cooler.

So the Mega Evolution Special airs. With how good Origins was, I had pretty high hopes for this Special~

Firstly, that intro looked amazing. The Megas looked fantastic and I’m glad my MegaMawile was at least shown. I can’t say I have any idea what moves they were using but it sure did look cool. And the narrator was excellent as well.

So we get an Ace Trainer. Did she say her name was Asterisk? Why would she use Mega Horn on a Charizard? I mean, it’s 4X weak. I know they do this type of sh*t in the Anime a lot, but really?

Wasn’t that BW music when it Mega Evolved? That isn’t one of my…favorite tunes, to say the least, but it does sound all mystical, so I guess it works.

And it’s another MegaCharizardX. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I do prefer ZardX over ZardY, myself. But we already saw ZardX in Origins. Why not have him use ZardY? Except for the fact that that whole thing with Garchomp’s trainer wouldn’t have been a thing, I guess.

Alan is a serious-ass mofo. I mean, A-LHAN~ He’s a fancy-ass mofo, too. I really do like his character. He’s more serious. One of those badass type characters. It’s a refreshing one, too, with all the hyperactive, idiot, male leads we are used to seeing in this franchise. And, of course, they dress him to look like his Pokémon. I always like seeing that.

So, it seems this special is canon to the series. That’s interesting, to say the least. I wonder if they’ll meet Ash. Well, it’s pretty much a given, I’d say. After all, why go through the trouble of mentioning Ash and making this canon to the series of they weren’t going to?

The flashback was very nice, as well, showing us a bit more about Sycamore’s research and how Alan decided to go on a journey to battle Mega Pokémon. That’s quite an interesting and awesome goal. Also, aww, cute Psyduck! Never thought I’d say that.

Interesting that they say Mega Evolution has only been reported in Kalos. Even though they do say it’s a Kalos mystery, I like that they aren’t saying it’s exclusive to Kalos in any way.

So now we get to meet…Maryn is it? She’s…kind of annoying. Like…a lot. I mean, it’s another refresher, sure. Not really used to seeing characters like her, though (particularly because she’s a girl), she does give off much of a Bianca feel with all of the curiosity and falling. Have to say, her Chespin is way better than Clemont’s. It’s the type that knows its trainer is a ditz and he has to look out for her a little more that, well, a Pokémon should. I really liked how he caught her with his Vine Whip.

So here’s…some guy whose name I didn’t catch. So I’ll just call him Flamboyant Dragon Tamer. That is the best Dragon Tamer I’ve ever seen. Like, Dragon Tamers should look like him from now on.

The battles still look awesome! They’re bright, colorful, and very beautifully animated. Of course, all of XY has been like this, but it really stands out in more serious battles like these and those in Origins.

Maryn really likes to fall…honestly, I don’t even think they overdid Bianca’s gag like this (actually, I’m sure of it). In fact, I can say with some certainty that this is the most overused gag I’ve ever seen in a single episode. And it gets old REALLY quickly. Seriously, you don't need to trip every literal two steps.

OMZ Flabebe! It’s so cute!! And she caught it! This Special gets extra points for including my favorite Kalos Pokémon out of the blue like that. Hopefully people will finally pronounce its name right now (It ain’t Fla-BEE-BEE, folks). Also nice to see them actually make use of some game mechanics there with the Poisoning of a Pokémon. I don’t think we’ve seen that in a while.

SH!T That damn Wigglytuff is even here! And they only showed it from the eyes up! TWICE!! IT’S LIKE THEY’RE DOING THIS ON PURPOSE!!!

Wasn’t expecting Siebold to somehow be involved. And it looks like he gets fangirls, not that I’m surprised. And he uses a Blastoise? Seems odd to me. I mean, I think it is the only other Water-type that can Mega Evolve besides Gyarados, which they’ll obviously give Lysandre, but it just felt awkward for him to use a Kanto starter. But all is forgiven because…

…Dragon Pulse looked awesome! Seriously, that is an insanely badass Dragon Pulse. That was a really intense battle. I’m actually glad CharizardX lost, as him beating an Elite Four member with a type disadvantage would have made Alan seem a bit OP.

And the biggest OMZ: Lysandre. So I expect he’ll be in the part II Special doing something with his Mega Gyarados. As of now, it’s just cool to see him.

Overall, that was a nice special. I really enjoyed seeing all of the Mega Pokémon and Alan is an awesome character. Maryn was okay, but the gag made her more annoying than anything. But I did enjoy their otherwise uniqueness. Also, I would have liked that Alan had used a different Pokémon; a Mega we haven’t seen yet, but it wasn’t that big of a deal as CharizardXs have proven to be badasses. But, I’m looking forward to the next part. I’ll give it an 8.5 out of 10.

That didn't stop Bianca (Gen5) from having the same name as Bianca (Lati@s Movie), though. Meh, not that it matters much. Too bad they changed the name when Alan sounds way cooler.

Which if I had to guess would be because whoever localizers the games chose the name 'Bianca' and not the dubbing crew of the anime.

So the Mega Evolution Special airs. With how good Origins was, I had pretty high hopes for this Special~

Firstly, that intro looked amazing. The Megas looked fantastic and I’m glad my MegaMawile was at least shown. I can’t say I have any idea what moves they were using but it sure did look cool. And the narrator was excellent as well.

So we get an Ace Trainer. Did she say her name was Asterisk? Why would she use Mega Horn on a Charizard? I mean, it’s 4X weak. I know they do this type of sh*t in the Anime a lot, but really?

Wasn’t that BW music when it Mega Evolved? That isn’t one of my…favorite tunes, to say the least, but it does sound all mystical, so I guess it works.

And it’s another MegaCharizardX. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I do prefer ZardX over ZardY, myself. But we already saw ZardX in Origins. Why not have him use ZardY? Except for the fact that that whole thing with Garchomp’s trainer wouldn’t have been a thing, I guess.

Alan is a serious-ass mofo. I mean, A-LHAN~ He’s a fancy-ass mofo, too. I really do like his character. He’s more serious. One of those badass type characters. It’s a refreshing one, too, with all the hyperactive, idiot, male leads we are used to seeing in this franchise. And, of course, they dress him to look like his Pokémon. I always like seeing that.

So, it seems this special is canon to the series. That’s interesting, to say the least. I wonder if they’ll meet Ash. Well, it’s pretty much a given, I’d say. After all, why go through the trouble of mentioning Ash and making this canon to the series of they weren’t going to?

The flashback was very nice, as well, showing us a bit more about Sycamore’s research and how Alan decided to go on a journey to battle Mega Pokémon. That’s quite an interesting and awesome goal. Also, aww, cute Psyduck! Never thought I’d say that.

Interesting that they say Mega Evolution has only been reported in Kalos. Even though they do say it’s a Kalos mystery, I like that they aren’t saying it’s exclusive to Kalos in any way.

So now we get to meet…Maryn is it? She’s…kind of annoying. Like…a lot. I mean, it’s another refresher, sure. Not really used to seeing characters like her, though (particularly because she’s a girl), she does give off much of a Bianca feel with all of the curiosity and falling. Have to say, her Chespin is way better than Clemont’s. It’s the type that knows its trainer is a ditz and he has to look out for her a little more that, well, a Pokémon should. I really liked how he caught her with his Vine Whip.

So here’s…some guy whose name I didn’t catch. So I’ll just call him Flamboyant Dragon Tamer. That is the best Dragon Tamer I’ve ever seen. Like, Dragon Tamers should look like him from now on.

The battles still look awesome! They’re bright, colorful, and very beautifully animated. Of course, all of XY has been like this, but it really stands out in more serious battles like these and those in Origins.

Maryn really likes to fall…honestly, I don’t even think they overdid Bianca’s gag like this (actually, I’m sure of it). In fact, I can say with some certainty that this is the most overused gag I’ve ever seen in a single episode. And it gets old REALLY quickly. Seriously, you don't need to trip every literal two steps.

OMZ Flabebe! It’s so cute!! And she caught it! This Special gets extra points for including my favorite Kalos Pokémon out of the blue like that. Hopefully people will finally pronounce its name right now (It ain’t Fla-BEE-BEE, folks). Also nice to see them actually make use of some game mechanics there with the Poisoning of a Pokémon. I don’t think we’ve seen that in a while.

SH!T That damn Wigglytuff is even here! And they only showed it from the eyes up! TWICE!! IT’S LIKE THEY’RE DOING THIS ON PURPOSE!!!

Wasn’t expecting Siebold to somehow be involved. And it looks like he gets fangirls, not that I’m surprised. And he uses a Blastoise? Seems odd to me. I mean, I think it is the only other Water-type that can Mega Evolve besides Gyarados, which they’ll obviously give Lysandre, but it just felt awkward for him to use a Kanto starter. But all is forgiven because…

…Dragon Pulse looked awesome! Seriously, that is an insanely badass Dragon Pulse. That was a really intense battle. I’m actually glad CharizardX lost, as him beating an Elite Four member with a type disadvantage would have made Alan seem a bit OP.

And the biggest OMZ: Lysandre. So I expect he’ll be in the part II Special doing something with his Mega Gyarados. As of now, it’s just cool to see him.

Overall, that was a nice special. I really enjoyed seeing all of the Mega Pokémon and Alan is an awesome character. Maryn was okay, but the gag made her more annoying than anything. But I did enjoy their otherwise uniqueness. Also, I would have liked that Alan had used a different Pokémon; a Mega we haven’t seen yet, but it wasn’t that big of a deal as CharizardXs have proven to be badasses. But, I’m looking forward to the next part. I’ll give it an 8.5 out of 10.

The Ace Trainer's name was Astrid (Ayaka in the Japanese version) and the little girl with Chespin is Mairin (Manon in the Japanese version). The guy with Garchomp is Remo (Louie in the Japanese version)

"You see, our bond goes beyond any of your logic."

That's it. That's the entire franchise in a single sentence.

I liked the episode, but Alain and Astrid sounded so wooden at first. I'm glad the latter improved, though. Mairin was my favorite character, since she wasn't "oh so confident and cool" like most of the Mega Stone users. I really hope she does get a Mega in the future, considering her interest in Mega Evolution.

Last edited:
A nice change of pace, but my god Alan's dialogue is so stiff and serious. And therefore absurd

"Hey. I'm kinda cool. You can tell, because I snap out my dialogue and use words like 'honoured' and never change my tone of voice."

Last edited:
During the opening I was intrigued, it was slyly like an intro to a new movie, but had more mystery to it. I weirdly prefer Alain's name pronounced "AH-LAN" as opposed to "AL-AN" anyway, it gave him a little personal niche I believe, and certainly haven't heard a name like that before.
Mairin is a cute character, so is Chespin! A smile grew across my face when Alain asked if her Chespin knew a move that could poison or confuse an opponent, and then BAM, Toxic! Was a nice little relevant touch in accordance with the animé, haven't seen anything like that in a while.
I know they had little time to revel on her capture of Flabébé, but I would like to see it some more in the future, it's a weirdly cool Pokémon to know more about.
As for the Battles, I was blown away as usual, smiling the entire time, just as they did XY The Series justice with the awesome look of the moves, this time with Megas! I'm very excited for Part 2 now, and I'm itching to see Mega Mawile and Mega Venusaur specifically.
As for the mention of Ash, I was jumped up and down, I cannot deny. I was like "Yes, finally, they've given me a reason to keep watching", not because I love Ash (even though I do lol), but because it would be such a perfect move for the writers, eventually giving Ash a Charizardite Y so he could go up against Alain. I hope. Alain also looked quite interested when Mairin was referring to what Ash had done back in Lumiose.
Bring on part 2!

My review could actually be pretty short because all I have to say is: I was simply blown away by this fantastic special!
But that would be a pretty unworthy review, so let me go in detail a little bit.

Yes, yes yes, this is exactly the kind of show I would like to see every week!! Action-packed, fantastic and rousing battles, great animation and serious characters that, apart from Mairin, don't just fool around like Bonnie or tend to forget the basics of battling (right, Ash?) To be honest, I didn't really miss Ash because Alan was such an impressive and skilled trainer, let alone his powerful MegaCharizard! (By now, Ash should have become like Alan with all the experience he got but he's still acting like an advanced trainer at best.)

So again, the whole episode was a firework of impressive scenes and fantastic battles, apart from Mairin's comedy role.

In light of such a great episode, you actually shouldn't say anything negative. Nevertheless there were two things I didn't like:
You know how much I adore Cynthia. Needless to say I also love her Pokemon and Garchomp most of all. It's definitely my favorite Pokemon. So, seeing a Garchomp being commanded by such a joke trainer is an insult to the greatest Pokemon there is. Also, did you notice what an ugly necklace he has hung around Garchomp's neck? Dear God, it's not an old woman, it's a freaking Garchomp!!!!!!!!
And the second thing is that it hurt my heart to see Garchomp lose.That was unnecessary and they'd better use another Pokemon instead.

But still, a fantastic episode! I'm looking forward to the second part!

The dub did a decent job with this. However, I think that Alan should have kept his name and original pronunciation. "Ah-lawn" doesn't fit him and I expected his voice to be a bit deeper/mature.

I loved Mairin's VA however. Very nice.

If you cut out all the battles, I'd quite like this special. I liked Mairin as a character, the extra detail on the theories behind mega evolution were good and it's nice that they linked the special in with the same timeline - hopefully they converge later on and Ash can battle her in the league or something.

I thought this was a really good episode, although a slight continuity error in that all the Pokemon visibly have the stones around their necks, whereas Blaziken in the normal eps didn't.

I really really disliked that girl, she was the most annoying character since Bonnie! Not only was she creepily stalking Alain but she was so self entitled as well. Don't even get me started on her nickames, Chespie the Chespin, and Be'be' the Flabe'e'. I didn't really understand why she just randomly caught a Flabebe either perhaps it will become important later on, but it seemed to just be thrown in their randomly to show she's a bit of a numpty.

I found it interesting that Alain had a holocaster and was receiving directions, almost orders from someone to go and battle these people. I somehow feel Lysandre is involved, perhaps wanting to collect data about the megas. I thought Siebold would have a Mega Gyarados as he has Gyarados in the games, but think they switched it to Blastoise as we know someone else has a Mega Gyarados.

It was decent but could've been better

the "I'll beat everything with Charizard' is kinda stupid though. With th mention of Ash, maybe they'll meet in the future. X vx Y maybe? Ash could be his final mega fight or w/e

Didn't think the voice really matched for alain

I quite enjoyed the special. I enjoyed Alan and Mairin's chemistry and interactions. The battles were interesting, but they got slow/repetitive for me after a while. I valued the character interactions more than the somewhat quick and mindless battling. I'd definitely watch if they were to do something like this on another occasion.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom