• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Primal Reversion

Re: Ancient Devolution?

Anyone think that AD Kyogre and Groudon will have different abilities? I think not, considering how Drizzle and Drought are so integral to their legend.

Now Drizzle and Drought were expanded to another, mundane Pokémon, and both abilities were nerfed to stay 5 turns... Kyogre and Groudon need something like Eternal Drizzle and Eternal Drought.

I just noticed that Primordial Groudon and Primordial Kyogre have different symbols next to their names compared to the Mega Evolutions.

Kyogre's is light blue. Groudon's is orange-yellow.

"Ancient Devolution"? Not the best disguise or twist on words, GF...

I'm wondering if this is only different from Mega Evolution flavor-wise or if it works differently in-game too.

I just noticed that Primordial Groudon and Primordial Kyogre have different symbols next to their names compared to the Mega Evolutions.

Kyogre's is light blue. Groudon's is orange-yellow.

Kyogre's is the blue circle with the Alpha symbol (like in the Japanese logo) while the one next to Groudon's name is the Omega symbol in a red circle (like in the Japanese logo for OR).

Based on how it sounds, I'm assuming it's the former case and it's Mega Evolution with a new twist. Since they say they're "devolving," I agree that the intention is that they're returning to their original states, in which case they're elemental representations of their abilities.

So I'm curious how they'll represent that in terms of the in-game mechanics, it probably will still have the basics like the need for an item slot, but outside of that, they could tweak the stats or otherwise to showcase that devolution.

My take on it will be that they will have the same stats but shifting away from defense and more into offense

Anyone think that AD Kyogre and Groudon will have different abilities? I think not, considering how Drizzle and Drought are so integral to their legend.

Now Drizzle and Drought were expanded to another, mundane Pokémon, and both abilities were nerfed to stay 5 turns... Kyogre and Groudon need something like Eternal Drizzle and Eternal Drought.
Nah. We've been there and done that. It would be a waste of creativity. Yeah, Drizzle and Drought got nerfed but the game has adapted, bringing back just for these two seems like a waste. Remember, they can have any ability. Why just bringing back the past under a different name?

I wonder if it's just a fancy name for their Mega evolutions or an entirely new mechanic. I'm hoping for the former.

I've seen a few people say that Ancient De-evolution would result in a weaker state for Groudon and Kyogre. I think this is a misconception that stems from thinking that "evolution" necessarily means becoming better than the previous species in every shape, way, and form. However, species evolve to adapt to the environment--it doesn't necessarily mean the succeeding species are "progressing" to something better overall, just better suited to survive in their environment.

So what do I think Ancient De-evolution is? I believe it is simply a regression to a previous state. If we look at the Red and Blue Orb's description, it states that they are orbs that contain an ancient power. Perhaps what is going on is that at some point in the past, Groudon and Kyogre's powers were sealed into these orbs, resulting in their current state. Ancient De-evolution refers to returning to that previous state in which they held the orb's power.

What are the implications for other species? Mega Aerodactyl has already been implicated in-game as being Aerodactyl's original form (maybe we'll get a retcon?) but there are other Pokemon that have also been changed from their original state--namely Genesect and Kyurem. I've speculated in my blog how the Original Dragon could return without the need of a three-way fusion, and I think it fits the bill for Ancient De-evolution.

So these Ancient Devolutions might be their original power which means the power contained in the Red and Blue Orb might be the strength that was taken from them and sealed inside the orbs. So this means even in their weaker states they mannaged to send the world into a near Weather Cataclysm, so in their original formes they will be able to fire beams of death that level an entire city?

I suspect that this was only added as a retcon type thing so you can fight them as wild Pokemon in their new formes.

As I've learned, huge and primeval make a deadly combination.
Especially if it means they've lost all thought. Their destructive capabilities could make the manga's interpretation of the battle look tame. (if they were willing to go that far, that is...)

Come to think of it, will these formes even be usable in Wi-Fi battles? I don't think they were programmed into XY.

Oooh. I can see where this is going...
Any of you remember what that report Cyrus wrote in Platinum mentioned? About how capturing the Creation Duo would mean they couldn't use their time/space powers to their full extent to create a new world (thus needing the Red Chain to subdue them)? I bet this'll be kind of the same idea. Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon won't be weaker; their powers will be even more uncontrollable and raw, amplifying the extreme climate each one brings. Respective team will morph respective legend into Primal forme to accomplish their goals much faster.

I'm just glad this isn't another Megavolution.

Wait... so All Legendary will get this Primal-Evolution when regulars pokemon get Mega???

Or Mega-Evolution is Primal-Evolution is same thing with different name???

Cause if they are same. The Mega-Dialce will be Primal-Dialce....

I'm just glad this isn't another Megavolution.

A Mega Evolution by any other name. Its clear they're just using similar concepts to make things fresh. Tired of all the legendaries getting new formes? Yeah, let's give Mewtwo and Diancie Mega Evolution. Mega Evolution getting old? Time for Ancient Spirit Evolution Ancient De-evolution!

In the context of the games, to Mega Evolve you need a trainer. I think Ancient De-Evolution is a story patch to let the player fight boss legendary Pokemon in their new formes. Sort of like the Mega Evolution version of Incense.

Maybe next they will do 'FUTURE REEVOLUTION'. We already have pokemons that can travel between times.

But if AD related fo greek letter. Will we in future see Gamma Giratina or something like that???

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom