• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does Mega Evolutions mean that GF is getting out of ideas???

Does Megas mean that GF is out of ideas?

• Yes

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 91.4%

• Total voters

Supreme Leader Palpitoad

The Toad of Honor
Reaction score
I am sorry if this has been done before, but I dont think so and I am to lazy to search. But anyways, do you think that Megas is a sign of GF getting out of ideas for new pokes? There were only like 70 new mons this Gen. And like 30 Megas which is basically a remake on older pokemons. Will we see a decreasing number of new pokemons and an increasing number of Megas? And if its true what could it mean for Pokemon?

No, I doubt
Mega Evolution is actually an innovation(and I hate when people compare it to Digimon)

Just imagine Gen 6 brought about a tonne of innovationin Pokemon like Horde and Sky Battles, Super Training, Pokemon Amie, etc. etc. etc.
These were all examples of innovation and Mega Evolution is one of them

Just imagine if there were no Megas and the things i mentioned above, there would have been no innovation in Gen 6
If they didnt exist, people would still say that Game Freak was low on ideas
I think we should accept what we got and be happy instead of thinkinh as such

Mega Evolution has a lot of benefits and merits because it gave my favourite pokemon its long and well deserved dragon typing
Like it gives Pokemon of a two-stage Evolutionary line to Evolve again and adds a lot to the Meta

Overall, I do think GF is a bit low on ideas, but i dont think Mega Evolution is an indication of it

Edit- @Rocket Raccoon;
I think there should be a poll in this thread for more specific results

Last edited:
Yes. Hence why every generations they just make replacements for Pidgey and Rattata and copy the same general list of required Pokemon every time.

they started running out of ideas once litwick was introduced

No, I doubt
Mega Evolution is actually an innovation(and I hate when people compare it to Digimon)

Just imagine Gen 6 brought about a tonne of innovationin Pokemon like Horde and Sky Battles, Super Training, Pokemon Amie, etc. etc. etc.
These were all examples of innovation and Mega Evolution is one of them

Just imagine if there were no Megas and the things i mentioned above, there would have been no innovation in Gen 6
If they didnt exist, people would still say that Game Freak was low on ideas
I think we should accept what we got and be happy instead of thinkinh as such

Mega Evolution has a lot of benefits and merits because it gave my favourite pokemon its long and well deserved dragon typing
Like it gives Pokemon of a two-stage Evolutionary line to Evolve again and adds a lot to the Meta

Overall, I do think GF is a bit low on ideas, but i dont think Mega Evolution is an indication of it

Edit- @Rocket Raccoon;
I think there should be a poll in this thread for more specific results

I meant that they were low on ideas for new pokes only.
Thanks for the poll suggestion :p Will fix it when I get home (using my phone now).

I don't see how creating new designs and gameplay features means GF is running out of ideas. It's an expansion to the battling formula, and it's a pretty good one. It brings power to previously underpowered (and overpowered) Pokémon. All in all, it was a creative idea, and I expect many more good ideas to come.

No. Gamefreak is nowhere near running out of ideas. I'm sure that each generations they have hundreds of designs for new Pokemon. Mega Evolution's are meant to innovate on older Pokemon and basically give Pokemon a "4th Evolution" in a sense.

Practically the same argument could be applied to cross-generation evolutions, which have always existed, as a sign that gamefreak couldn't come up with enough ideas. I know the key here is having rather few new pokemon, while we got a hefty overdose of megas, but I wouldn't say they're running out of ideas now. Gen 6 pokemon are generally quite high quality, unlike many older generations which gave us some good pokemon in a sea of mediocrity. I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer having a smaller generation of generally better designs. I'd rather not see many more megas for now, though.

I don't think gamefreak are running out of ideas now. I think they've always just used good ideas sparsely, and generally haven't got much better or worse, and I can't see this changing in the visible future.

Silly, short-sighted, opinionated internet people, always ignoring the obvious while devising your conspiracy theories and complaintarguments.

I hate to be the one to disillusion you, but decisions made in long-running game series are NOT dictated by creativity. They're dictated by marketability. Mega Evolution has nothing to do with creativity and everything to do with moving units.

Note how all the Mega Evolutions are for Pokemon from previous gens, most of them Gens I~III. Not even the new starters got MEvos, while the original starters did. Why was this? Because most people's favorite Pokemon are older-generation mons. There was massive backlash against all the new mons of Gen V, and they didn't want to repeat that mistake, so they introduced relatively few all-new Pokemon in Gen VI, but ratcheted up the number of technically-new mons by giving Mega Evos to a bunch of beloved older-generation Pokes.

Also note how all the Mega Evos have, for lack of a less-subjective descriptor, "cool" appearances. None of them are cute. Again, this is to please fans, most of whom prefer "cool" and "epic" looking Pokemon.

Game Freak even gave themselves an out on the off chance that fans hated Mega Evolution -- everything in the games states that Mega Evolution is limited exclusively to the Kalos Region. Note how brilliant this is -- if people hate Mega Evolution, GF can never do it again, just dust their hands and walk away, and it'll be justified. "It was only ever intended as an experiment for the Kalos Region, and won't be included in future games." If, on the other hand, it's a hit - as it has been - they can add Mega Evolution to future games and say, in-game "wow, Mega Evolution spread, how 'bout that?" Either way, their bases are covered.

It's marketing, folks. All marketing.

Not at all. People have argued 'GameFreak is running out of ideas' at just about everything like new forms object Pokemon (cough cough, voltorb, cough cough).

If they truly ever did run out of ideas from now on there would never ever be new gen Pokemon.

they started running out of ideas once litwick was introduced
Chandelure line is more creative than 90% of the Gen 1 pokemon, because a pokeball with eyes, a rock with eyes and arms, a pile of shit, a palm tree with faces, a hooker and a clown are so creative....

On topic no they are not running out of ideas, there are still countless animal species, bugs, plants and other stuff they can make pokemon out of it but they are just being stubborn, like make a dolphin pokemon already.

Last edited:
I don't think so. They're just trying a new thing out. Oh, and appealing to the Fan service, no doubt. But out of ideas? Not by a long shot.

Personally, I think anyone who says Yes to this question is INSANE. There weren't many Pokemon in XY because There were 240 (Give or take) Other pokemon that could be obtained.

My opinion is this gives them the option to introduce more "Pokémon" without making new species. They probably will slow down with the new pokémon and add more mega evolutions instead because it's much easier to have less pokémon now that we're nearing the thousands.

One thing I had to question about the Pokémon series eventually is just how long we would have to collect new species of Pokémon in order to complete the Pokédex, following the "Gotta catch 'em all!" logic of Gen 1, and I guess now that we have Mega Evolution it sort of raises the question of "Would you rather want to collect new Pokémon forever and ever in hopes of completing the Pokédex, or collect new Mega Evolutions for older Pokémon?". To be honest though, I think I would have stopped caring about catching all the Pokémon by Gen 5 due to the lack of any appealing or interesting Pokémon that gen had, so now catching Pokémon in the games for me seems to be more about catching any that really strike me as appealing in any way.

IMO, the idea of Mega Evolution is completely fan-service.

BTW, for the ones who don't know the exact meaning of fan-service, just take a quick read first:
Fan service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In this case of Pokemon, the fan-service is completely different from those unnecessary nudity, erotic elements, and defy-the-physics hyperactive actions that one may find in many Japanese shonen anime/manga. But still, its purpose is exactly the same: to induce gratuitous excitement that makes the fans drool. More importantly, such stimulation (or should rather say titillation) is mostly one-sided and one-dimensional, simply speaking: shallow-minded.

Please note, although the objective of fan-service is so frivolous, but the producer(s) may rack their brains to the fullest in order to produce the most creative and original idea or story plot, in order to just to please the fans, but not adding any depth to the show.

Well, I would not say GF is running out of idea, because they thought up such creative evolution concept called Mega Evolution. I personally don't oppose the idea of further evolution.

BUT!!!! I hated the fact that GF using Mega Evolution merely as a fan-service, choosing only the old gens Pokemon and the marketable Pokemon to have Mega Evolutions.
Moreover, as GF introduced this Mega Evolutions to the Pokemon family of non-3-stage-evolution, this means the Pokemon will no more evolve normally, there will be no chance of seeing new standard evolution retcon to the old Pokemon that so many fans had hoped for long. (I'm also the one hoping Mawile to have normal evolution rather than Mega Evolution)
And also, IMO there is a few Mega Pokemon having their design concept not making sense. (I still wonder why Kangaskhan Mega Evolved the child, but not the parent????? Does that also means the child will never ever evolve into the form just like its parent? The contradiction is breaking my brain!!!)
On top of that, why giving two Mega Evolutions to one single Pokemon? (Charizard + Mewtwo) What is the purpose of the second Mega Evolution, other than to hype the fans up further? That is also unfair to other Mega Pokemon as well.

Game Freak is not running out of idea. They are still creative -- no, more creative then before. But, too bad their creativity is now being utilized in the wrong direction.

BTW, for the ones who don't know the exact meaning of fan-service, just take a quick read first:

In this case of Pokemon, the fan-service is completely different from those unnecessary nudity, erotic elements, and defy-the-physics hyperactive actions that one may find in many Japanese shonen anime/manga. But still, its purpose is exactly the same: to induce gratuitous excitement that makes the fans drool. More importantly, such stimulation (or should rather say titillation) is mostly one-sided and one-dimensional, simply speaking: shallow-minded.

Please note, although the objective of fan-service is so frivolous, but the producer(s) may rack their brains to the fullest in order to produce the most creative and original idea or story plot, in order to just to please the fans, but not adding any depth to the show.

Well, I would not say GF is running out of idea, because they thought up such creative evolution concept called Mega Evolution. I personally don't oppose the idea of further evolution.

BUT!!!! I hated the fact that GF using Mega Evolution merely as a fan-service, choosing only the old gens Pokemon and the marketable Pokemon to have Mega Evolutions.
Moreover, as GF introduced this Mega Evolutions to the Pokemon family of non-3-stage-evolution, this means the Pokemon will no more evolve normally, there will be no chance of seeing new standard evolution retcon to the old Pokemon that so many fans had hoped for long. (I'm also the one hoping Mawile to have normal evolution rather than Mega Evolution)
And also, IMO there is a few Mega Pokemon having their design concept not making sense. (I still wonder why Kangaskhan Mega Evolved the child, but not the parent????? Does that also means the child will never ever evolve into the form just like its parent? The contradiction is breaking my brain!!!)
On top of that, why giving two Mega Evolutions to one single Pokemon? (Charizard + Mewtwo) What is the purpose of the second Mega Evolution, other than to hype the fans up further? That is also unfair to other Mega Pokemon as well.

Game Freak is not running out of idea. They are still creative -- no, more creative then before. But, too bad their creativity is now being utilized in the wrong direction.

I really like your answer. :D It kind of sums up a lot of what I've been thinking about the concept too, and most definitely waaaay better worded than I could ever hope to accomplish.

On another note, when I first learned about MEvos, I thought for certain that they would give one to Pikachu since it was their mascot, regardless of the fact that it has an evolution already. With your mentioning of Mawile, I had similar hopes, mainly that Pokemon like Kangaskhan, Mawile, Aerodactyl, and Pinsir would have evolutions one day (Pinsir mainly because his Gen I counterpart has one). If they had given Pikachu a Mega Evolution, then I would've taken that as a sign that perhaps not all Pokemon with a Mega Evolution would be incapable of further evolution. But now I fear that this isn't the case. I kinda hope that, despite that fear that it'll be impossible, they will actually produce evolutions for these Pokemon regardless, which could be seen in a manner kind of like...Kirlia's split evolution. After all, Gardevoir has a Mega Evolution whereas (to my knowledge) Gallade does not. Couldn't this property (hopefully?) be kind of twisted to allow for evolutions of those Pokemon?

Mega Evolution was indeed used in XY as fan service to hype up the games but now let's hope it's not used again like that so that the pokemon really need one get their respective mega evolutions instead of overpowered pokemon.

No, Mega evolutions does not mean that GF is running out of ideas, but by god Mega evolutions are such blatant fanservice for a lot of overpowered Pokemon that don't deserve them (Blaziken and Lucario come to mind), and additionally I honestly feel that GF ripped off Digimon by introducing the concept, in general, with the temporary evolutions and Mega bracelets (the equivalents of Digivolution and Digivices respectively).

mega_digivolution_by_supacrikeydave-d6l3mwy.jpg

No, Mega evolutions does not mean that GF is running out of ideas, but by god Mega evolutions are such blatant fanservice for a lot of overpowered Pokemon that don't deserve them (Blaziken and Lucario come to mind), and additionally I honestly feel that GF ripped off Digimon by introducing the concept, in general, with the temporary evolutions and Mega bracelets (the equivalents of Digivolution and Digivices respectively).

View attachment 94915
Yes because it was Digimon that invented the entire concept of something temporarily evolving with an item/device and then reverting back to their previous form... *facepalm*

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom