• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY032: Mega Lucario VS Mega Lucario! The Wave-Guiding Storm!!

I like the plot here of Lucario freaking out after mega-evolution - even with a fairly strong bond between trainer and Pokemon, still not being able to control the additional power makes sense. I'm worried based on the preview for next week that it's going to just be Lucario attacking Korrina and then finding the will power to stop after realising it is still the same Lucario despite the mega evolution, but for now the setup to the next episode is good.

Surprised that Bonnie didn't still find the mega Lucario cute regardless of it's rage fit. Clemont's invention was annoyingly pointless given that if handled less arbitrarily than an unnumbered meter and having him bring it out before Lucario mega-evolved, it could have been a good way of showing comparative stat increases through mega evolution.

Pikachu really needs Electro Ball replaced - I'm sick of seeing it used and just totally missing. Give him something like Discharge so there's an option for Ash to have an attack with a better chance of hitting a fast moving Pokemon, considering I suppose I have to give up on seeing counter shield happen again.

That said, I could have just said I'm sick of seeing Pikachu used. They've learnt from Unova by not giving Ash a dozen Pokemon, but seemingly not done anything to rebalance screen time. We're going weeks without even seeing Froakie and Fletchling - let alone letting them have a significant battle. I kinda get wanting to save them for the Gym battle - but Pikachu doesn't need the training, Ash's new Pokemon do.

Damn that was powerful. Mega Lucario was mega awesome.

I knew something was up with Mega Lucario. He was way too okay about throwing punches and kicks in every which way possible. WTF is wrong with Korrina. Did she not notice Lucario’s eyes glowing red and sh*t. I was just wondering if she’d notice before she killed Pikachu or something. But man is that thing creepy, those eyes, those teeth, that power! Oh, and Clemont got off another invention today that didn’t blow up. Actually, I was half expecting Lucario’s extreme rage to cause the invention to blow up, but thankfully it didn’t. Though maybe if it did Korrina would have noticed Lucario’s condition faster.

Damn Gurkinn’s Lucario must be beastly stronger than Korrina’s. He didn’t even need megalution to stop Korrina’s Lucario’s rampage. I thought it was cute how in the Pokemon Center Bonnie brought out Dedenne for a split second to see Pikachu. Aw man, Korrina was about to cry. She must have felt pretty guilty about nearly killing Pikachu.

Nice, Lucario gets a megalution accessory as well. And that battle awesome. Once again, Gurkinn’s Lucario pwns Korrina’s. He even uses one gold Bone Rush in comparison to Korrina’s two silver ones. Geez, Lucario seriously needs to work on this whole “mad with power thing”. At least Korrina noticed it this time. I'm sure Ash understands though. Infernape wasn't that long ago :)

All in all, a nice and powerful episode. 9/10.

It's amusing how much more interesting Korrina is compared to the actual main cast... the Korrina eps are definitely the best ones of the XY series so far (along with Bonnie's eps, which is so far the only one remotely interesting in the main cast)

Corni is really a fantastic character. She's likable and has gotten good development so far and bounces off the cast really well. I like how dynamic she is too. The episode was also animated beautifully - it felt very Iwane to me but I'm not sure who the animation director was O:

That being said I like the main cast's contribution as well and what feel like nods to continuity - Satoshi can feel the aura as well as acknowledge nuanced changes in Lucario's, for example. Definitely looking forward to the next episode of Corni's arc, her spotlight episodes have definitely been really entertaining so far. I wish other gym leaders and such got similar treatment :p

What was the particular reason why Korrina's Lucario lost control after it Mega Evolved? Did it have to do with Korrina's impatience of wanting her Lucario to Mega Evolve?

Eh, I Found this Episode Disappointing I thought. It felt VERY Cliché, and Mega Lucario on a Rampage, hmmmmmmmmm, we haven't seen a Pokemon go on a Rampage because of something Special before have we? Cough Infernape, Cough Pikachu in AG 1 when it was Sick. Lucario was Cool Overall, Gurkinn's Lucario WAS A BADASS! Overall, 5.1/10.

I liked how Team Rocket only commented on the events and simply vanished after Gurkinn's Lucario showed up, for some reason. It was also the same rock they were hiding in during last episode, that's pretty neat.

Oh, and Clemont got off another invention today that didn’t blow up. Actually, I was half expecting Lucario’s extreme rage to cause the invention to blow up, but thankfully it didn’t. Though maybe if it did Korrina would have noticed Lucario’s condition faster.

Actually, Clemont's invention did blow up right after Lucario slammed Pikachu to the ground by biting his tail, but it wasn't as noticeable because it was played for suspense rather than comedy. By that time, Korrina already noticed something was wrong with Lucario, though.
MAnHG2L.png

Corni is really a fantastic character. She's likable and has gotten good development so far and bounces off the cast really well. I like how dynamic she is too. The episode was also animated beautifully - it felt very Iwane to me but I'm not sure who the animation director was O:

That being said I like the main cast's contribution as well and what feel like nods to continuity - Satoshi can feel the aura as well as acknowledge nuanced changes in Lucario's, for example. Definitely looking forward to the next episode of Corni's arc, her spotlight episodes have definitely been really entertaining so far. I wish other gym leaders and such got similar treatment :p

Here are the core staff members of Episodes #32-35. The next Iwane Masa'aki episode is Episode #34. I don't think Iwane provided any key animation for this episode, either.

What was the particular reason why Korrina's Lucario lost control after it Mega Evolved? Did it have to do with Korrina's impatience of wanting her Lucario to Mega Evolve?
An influx in "hadou" from Mega Evolution caused it to go beserk.

I think I found my favorite XY episode, this was one of the best if not the best "loss of control" episode of, not just XY but, the whole series. This episode just really did everything precisely.

Korrina and Lucario slayed so hard in this episode. They are both such a delight. A lot of expressive moments from both Lucario and Korrina, a stronger look into Korrina's personality. This is definitely the episode where we saw Korrina at her weakest as a person. Lucario's rampage was handled so well and seeing how influenced her so much was heart-rending as this is the first time we've seen a dent in her armor, she's usually confident, strong and energetic most of the time. Seeing her so unnerved by Lucario really was a strong contrast and when I was watching her during her sad streak I just had this potent feeling of, "Am I watching the same character?" The animator did a fantastic job showing off her facial appearance, there were moments where she looked sad with it be subtle that you could tell she was truly feeling down on her luck. Lovely scene of her getting the reprint of her burned picture back from Makita, a glimmer of a happiness even when you're going downhill for a while.

She was even better in this episode because, well just a lot of great scenes of her showing a genuine and enthusiastic interest in the Pokemon world and going uphill alongside her Pokemon in a very authentic-feeling way. When you see her eyes sparkling and her voice raise(Kakkoii!) and her run toward her Pokemon, there's just a strong sense of fulfillment. It's her goal to mega evolve Lucario and she did it finally, it's a heartening scene before things eventually go wayside in the match against Pikachu. I thought it was pretty refreshing that at scenes where Korrina was more impassioned Ash seemed to be a bit more stable and serious. Even Lucario was excellent and adorable in its own way with the way it gave off aura and kept testing the limits of its new found power by doing little playful things like influencing Korrina's hair or Ash's hat or give off a massive wave of hadou(aura) like that. The animation and its movements this episode were so fluent.

There's a purpose behind every pain and I felt like Gurkinn really gave off a strong and great mentor vibe, I thought he would end up being this bland stereotype but he was knowledgeable and interesting. His constant scolding of Korrina and subtle delights at her being able to Mega Evolve Lucario and continued guidance was what really made him for me. The tongue-lashing he gave Lucario and Korrina at the end was really was amusing. Him stepping into the fight to stop Lucario with his own was pretty badass too and I like the contrasting colors in gauntlets that the respect Lucario held their Lucarionite in and seeing Korrina's faith restored somewhat when she gives it to Lucario and seeing her hyping herself up before the match against Gurkinn was a nice, endearing moment.

Even in their battle you can really feel some awesome tension and I like that his Lucario repelled Korrina's with one flick of aura, showing his to have perfect control over the influx of aura that comes from Mega Evolution. Which was great because Korrina's defeated his Blaziken last episode and she didn't get off easy there but could still deal with everything accordingly, but things didn't happen the same way this episode. It showed Gurkinn and Korrina to not be equals which I liked. Not sure if that was intentional but I wonder if the difference between the two that was being highlighted through their Lucario is Gurkinn's seems to be more about aura and special-based fighting with Korrina's having a leg-up in-terms of physical prowess? As Korrina's seems to mainly work with Power-Up Punch and Bone Rush and seemed to be very skilled in swift, speedy strikes with its legs in-particular...?

The battles this episode were both short but sweet and I was impressed by the visual, animation and drama of both. In the Pikachu battle seeing Lucario hunt Pikachu down like a predator going after its prey(I kept thinking of Attack On Titan) was absolutely brutal, the sharp movements and how Pikachu could not escape the demonic-looking Pokemon kept me glued to the battle and taking notice to everything and Lucario's unwillingness to stop and Korrina's outburst and everyone else's was so just gut-wrenching. As for the match against Gurkinn, it as a personal battle with stakes and really gave off a powerful feeling of "this is the end all be-all" during with the music and Lucario's rampage. You can really really tell they've gotten so much better over the years with making berserk Pokemon look menacing.

With this episode having ended, Korrina and Lucario are on their way to see Maple and her Mega Mawile and though Lucario is at a disadvantage I do hope after mastering Mega Evolution Korrina wins with it. It could show her progress in the most preferable light through a victory and I just would like to see one of my favorites characters with a win on her belt. Because Korrina's match against Blaziken, Mega Lucario and Maple are all going to be personal battles and struggles. It'd be a brilliant way to wrap up her five-episode Mega Evolution arc. with a bang and after going through hell she can get to see heaven.

Actually, Clemont's invention did blow up right after Lucario slammed Pikachu to the ground by biting his tail, but it wasn't as noticeable because it was played for suspense rather than comedy. By that time, Korrina already noticed something was wrong with Lucario, though.
MAnHG2L.png

Well, damn I must be blind. I don't even remember seeing the thing blow up. Well, at least it didn't blow up for comic relief.

MAnHG2L.png

Well, damn I must be blind. I don't even remember seeing the thing blow up. Well, at least it didn't blow up for comic relief.
I think it's safe to say it's Clemont's most successful invention yet. It served it's purpose and although it blew up, it was due to the power overexerting the machine.

I'm very disappointed of Korrina. How couldn't she understand there was something wrong with her Pokemon.

Besides that, I finally enjoyed an episode. It had been a long time.

I'm very disappointed of Korrina. How couldn't she understand there was something wrong with her Pokemon.

Besides that, I finally enjoyed an episode. It had been a long time.
Going back to XY030, it's clear that she's not very patient, as she was laying the attacks on Pikachu one after another which if you ask me just made her seem majorly impatient in wanting to win no matter what.

ALSO

Fun Fact: The voice actor for Gurkin's Mega Lucario is the same person who voiced the Lucario in the 8th movie, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. I Found that pretty interesting.

Pikachu really needs Electro Ball replaced - I'm sick of seeing it used and just totally missing. Give him something like Discharge so there's an option for Ash to have an attack with a better chance of hitting a fast moving Pokemon, considering I suppose I have to give up on seeing counter shield happen again.

To be honest, I still can't fathom why the writers had Pikachu lose Volt Tackle to learn Electro Ball anyway. Not only was it his species' signature move, but it balanced out having a ranged electric attack and a physical electric attack. It just seemed to be the writers going "Ohh, Electro Ball is a nice looking attack. Let's use it."

But yes, Pikachu just needs to lose Electro Ball. Relearn Volt Tackle, learn Discharge... I don't care but I'm sick to death of that damn ball failing.

To be honest, I still can't fathom why the writers had Pikachu lose Volt Tackle to learn Electro Ball anyway. Not only was it his species' signature move, but it balanced out having a ranged electric attack and a physical electric attack. It just seemed to be the writers going "Ohh, Electro Ball is a nice looking attack. Let's use it."

But yes, Pikachu just needs to lose Electro Ball. Relearn Volt Tackle, learn Discharge... I don't care but I'm sick to death of that damn ball failing.

Thunderbolt, Volt Tackle, Brick Break, Return/ExtremeSpeed would be a near perfect moveset

- I still think the new opening song is awful
- "S-so this is a Mega Lucario?" Nope, it is a MetalGreymon
- Clemont's science gag stopped being funny twenty episodes ago
- So after having his Pikachu beaten by Lucario, Ash decided that letting him battle against Mega Lucario would be a good idea
- I still love those "VS" shots
- Woah, yandere Mega Lucario looks creepy
- Grandpa's Lucario is the boss
- Aw don't cry, adorable Korrina
- Korrina's Lucario is so cute ^=^
- "Watch us, Satoshi" :3
- Damn, Grandpa is scary

This was a very good episode. 9/10. How I wish Korrina's arc was in the XY games too :(

How It Should Have Ended:

Korrina: Oh yeah, well guess what? You're an asshole! Yeah, I said it! You're an asshole! And I'll tell you why you're an asshole with this Reason You Suck Speech: Lucario and I have become more close than any other Pokemon and trainer ever have! We grew up together, we went through everyday trials of life! We're practically sibling for Arceus' sake! You've helped us train in the past, but when fought our battles, when we were there for each other, when we won 100 battles in a row, where the heck were you? Planning to sic your Blaziken on us, to smash Lucario against a few walls, to set me on fire, to cowardly call off the battle the moment it looked like your Blaziken might get a little dirty? And now you stand there like you're so perfect, acting like your Lucario didn't even bat an eye during his first Mega Evolution, which I know has to be a lie, because no Lucario could possibly handle all that power the first ten times! And you think you can keep your little secrets on how you and Lucario got so good and spit on Lucario and I because we didn't get it right the first two times?! Well then listen to this gramps: to heck with you, we're going home. Live long and suck it!"

Good episode! It took me until June but I liked Korrina then. Lucario is out of control, no crying Korrina. Wow! Gurkinn's mean and scary, but he delivers good advice.

XY032 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
This episode was chosen for Pocket Monsters Anime Premier by Kanata Hongō, Souji's voice actor.

Animation:
Team Kato
Screenplay: Atsuhiro Tomioka
Storyboard: Kaori Higuchi
Assistant director: Daiki Tomiyasu
Animation directors: Kanae Matsunaga / Mizuho Tajima

The episode aired over three years ago now so I thought we could take a look back at Korrina's arc now that the XY series ended.

I like this one a lot, actually. The difference between actual Pokémon battles and unruly scuffles have been established before, but I think we don't see them often enough like it was done here. This episode and its arc had some interesting introspection on Mega Evolution and relationship between Trainer and Pokémon that, IMO, ended up having some strong impact later on.

Lucario attacking beyond Korrina's commands was addressed as bad thing here, because he'd just use a move without listening or understanding what Korrina wanted to do. By the time Korrina and Ash have the Gym match, this developed into a unique dynamic where Lucario knows Korrina so well, he prepares the attack right before Korrina gives the corresponding command. Ash and Pikachu also learned from this battle style and did it from time to time throughout the series:
LMlKcJj.png

Even if I do like SM in its own way, it's things like these that still make me miss the XY series.

Back to the episode, I also like how it's both a battle-oriented and dialogue-oriented episode. Korrina's seiyuu made a nice job by making her sound tearful during the whole Pokémon Center scene, even if she didn't actually cry. The animation is good too, I recall some people initially thought this was Iwane.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom