• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

• Total voters
Treecko was my very first pokemon in my very first game, Sapphire, so of course that's who I'll choose for my Alpha Sapphire. I've used a torchic in emerald, but I've never used a mudkip. Maybe I'll use mudkip in another game sometime.

Even after the new Megas were unveiled, I still will use Mudkip first. Due to design I will however use Treecko and then Torchic. Normally it's tough to decide the 2nd starter I use.

At first I wasn't sure which starter to pick, because I've used all three of them before and they're all pretty good. Then the new mega evolutions were revealed, and Sceptile's was my favorite, so I decided on Treecko.

Mudkip of course. Typing isn't as original as it used to be, but its always been my main, never gonna change. And now with Swolepert and the amazing addition of swift swim its even better to have one.

I'm probably gonna go with Mudkip. Might change to Torchic so wont vote just yet.
I'm really stuck on who to pick!!!

I'm going for Treecko in AS and Mudkip in OR. I'm not using Torhich because it was my go to in Sapphire and Emerald, and I already have its Mega Stone, so it'd feel counter productive choosing it just receive the stone again later. I choose to have them on their respective version because of Aqua and Magma, just to make them a little but easier.

Difficult, I love all the megas. I've played Torchic so many times I should let another guy take the stage.
I'll probably go with Mudkip as I've never used one before. But I love mega sceptile's design...

Mudkip~ It was my first ever starter so I have to use it again this time around~

Not quite sure why Nintendo/Game Freak have done this. They already handed out Torchic complete with Mega Stone, so obviously a lot less people are going to pick it than would have other wise!

I picked Torchic in Ruby and Treecko in Emerald, so technically it's Mudkips turn but I can't stand that thing.
Might bring in my own starter!

I started with Mudkip on Ruby back in 2003 - still have him in my box on Emerald as a Level 100 Swampert in fact, so I feel it is only right to do the same again in these remakes. The Torchic that was distributed with Blazikenite found a worthy spot in my rotational team on X, so that would just leave Treecko out of the equation so far in this generation.

Since I'm playing both versions. I'll be getting Treecko and Mudkip since I already have Blazikenites.

Last edited:
After seeing Mega Swampert, I'm actually rethinking using Blaziken in the remakes (who I usually consider to be the coolest looking of the three fully evolved Hoenn starters) and will probably start the game with Mudkip instead. I just really like Swampert's bulky new Mega Evolution more than Blaziken's Mega Evolution. Funny thing is, I have never gotten around to choosing Mudkip as my starter in the original Ruby version, so I guess now I've got a reason to really want Mudkip.

Still going with Mudkip for myself! Sort of. I'm gonna take my original Swampert (the Mudkip I chose in Sapphire, my first starter ever) and I'm going to breed a Mudkip from it. That way, I'll be using my original starter's son as my starter in the remake. I thought about, and I may still since its easier, just picking Mudkip and naming it after Muddy (My original), but it just doesn't hold as much meaning as offspring.

EDIT: And whenever I get around to playing OR, I'll be picking Treecko.
I also still have my Swampert from my Sapphire playthrough in my Y version and that actualy sounds cool, the son of that Swampert being in the team in the remakes, think i'll do the same.

This is a tough call, even though I plan to get both versions

I started with Ruby; Torchic was my very first Hoenn starter and it's still my favorite, but I have almost as many fond memories of using a Mudkip. Yet I *did* choose Treecko as my starter in Sapphire and I already have Blazikenite... @__@

I'll go with Treecko in AS for sure and maybe make two passes in OR for both Mudkip and Torchic, I guess.
Push come to shove, Torchic would probably get priority, tho'

Still going with Mudkip for myself! Sort of. I'm gonna take my original Swampert (the Mudkip I chose in Sapphire, my first starter ever) and I'm going to breed a Mudkip from it. That way, I'll be using my original starter's son as my starter in the remake. I thought about, and I may still since its easier, just picking Mudkip and naming it after Muddy (My original), but it just doesn't hold as much meaning as offspring.

EDIT: And whenever I get around to playing OR, I'll be picking Treecko.
I also still have my Swampert from my Sapphire playthrough in my Y version and that actualy sounds cool, the son of that Swampert being in the team in the remakes, think i'll do the same.

Yeah, but still, I haven't actually decided yet. It does seem pretty cool, but not using my actual starter from the game just doesn't feel quite right. I could go either way.

EDIT: Plus, I'd have to deal with leveling since you can't transfer until you get the dex, so it'll have to go from 1 to about 7 or 8. So...I'm thinking I might just name the Mudkip I pick in AS after my original, Muddy, in honor of him.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom