• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
Considering his BST is already 680(I think), giving him an extra 100 points and removing Truant would feel pretty OP to me. I could be wrong, I don't know Slaking's capabilities very well, but that's just how it seems.
Mewtwo didn't get a good ability from its Mega Evolutions simply because it would have been too powerful (though the BST distribution kind of backfired for it). Slaking, on the other hand has a hindering ability. All it needs is for it to be removed and its fighting on the same level as other Mega Pokemon already. With 160 attack, it could afford not getting much of an increase, and any increase in its defense would be massive considering its base 150 HP.

I was thinking something along the lines of this:

Vital Spirit
150 HP/190 Atk/130 Def/110 SpA/100 SpD/90 Spe

I gave it Vigoroth's ability with the explanation that Mega Evolution fills Slaking with the vital spirit it had as a young Vigoroth, allowing it to attack without rest. The 190 attack makes it stronger than the strongest non-Legendary Mega Pokemon's attack (Heracross) but equal Mega Mewtwo X's power. I raised its SpA because let's face it--Game Freak has wasted a lot of points on other Megas on useless stats (though it may not be completely useless given its movepool). I also lowered its speed because let's face it--simply losing Truant would have made it as strong as the current Mega Pokemon, it needs some weakness. It could be explained away that Slaking traded speed for power and defense.

Ironically, Vital Spirit removes Slaking's ability to do ResTalk to protect it from status, but it has Slack Off so....

OK, this idea probably won't happen, but it's worth a shot.

Mega Slaking
+30 Defense and Sp. Defense
+20 Speed
+10 Attack and Sp. Attack
Ability: Scrappy/Thick Fat/"Iron Will" (Fur coat variant for Sp. Defense). Anything is better than Truant!

That is all. (Possibly used as Norman's mega in ORAS).

No. That thing will destroy the metagame. Hell, it will probably destroy ubers. A BST of 780 will be the highest in the game, with ARCEUS a distant second at 720. Add to that the fact it has a massive movepool, is a mixed attacker and has a great overall typing. The competitive scene will probably end up making a special Mega Slaking tier since it will be so horrendously broken.

No. That thing will destroy the metagame. Hell, it will probably destroy ubers. A BST of 780 will be the highest in the game, with ARCEUS a distant second at 720. Add to that the fact it has a massive movepool, is a mixed attacker and has a great overall typing. The competitive scene will probably end up making a special Mega Slaking tier since it will be so horrendously broken.

Its a BST of 770, we already have Mega Mewtwo reaching higher than that (at 780) and they kind of flopped as I understand, thanks to the fact that LO Mewtwo still has more power than it and the awful stat distribution in general (but still has a higher potential for mix sweeping than the above Slaking with a 190/154 or 150/194 offensive spread)

And let's not forget that we're already getting what is essentially Mega Groudon and Mega Kyogre, with better abilities.

I don't think anyone honestly thought a Mega Slaking wouldn't be Uber (heck, a Slaking without Truant would probably be up there), and that's one of the reasons Norman shouldn't have it (the other being that I don't think Mega Evolution should be given to everyone in Hoenn when it wasn't in Kalos)

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear that Slaking is one of those Pokemon that simply don't have the potential for Mega Evolution, with the explanation being that Vigoroth's evolution took so much power that there was no untapped potential left.

Last edited:

Its a BST of 770, we already have Mega Mewtwo reaching higher than that (at 780) and they kind of flopped as I understand, thanks to the fact that LO Mewtwo still has more power than it and the awful stat distribution in general.

And let's not forget that we're already getting what is essentially Mega Groudon and Mega Kyogre, with better abilities.

I don't think anyone honestly thought a Mega Slaking wouldn't be Uber (heck, a Slaking without Truant would probably be up there), and that's one of the reasons Norman shouldn't have it (the other being that I don't think Mega Evolution should be given to everyone in Hoenn when it wasn't in Kalos)

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear that Slaking is one of those Pokemon that simply don't have the potential for Mega Evolution, with the explanation being that Vigoroth's evolution took so much power that there was no untapped potential left.

Yeah, okay that's fair enough. I don't see Slaking as a Pokemon that should break the game though. Maybe I've been studying too much engineering recently, but having Slaking without truant and anywhere near that insanely powerful would be breaking its 'design intent'. It's a bit of a gimmick pokemon and its ability is why its the only non-mega non-legendary to have a BST over 600.

If you give it a mega, it'll have BST of 770 which is huge but hindered by its ability, so its pretty similar to the original Slaking but MEGA. If you take away the hindering ability as well, you'll just have... a reasonably common normal type which happens to have legendary level stats.

I don't know. I suspect I'm overreacting here and I agree with your overall assessment. Something about the idea of an common, plain old normal type with legendary-level stats and movepool makes me profoundly uncomfortable.

Yeah, okay that's fair enough. I don't see Slaking as a Pokemon that should break the game though. Maybe I've been studying too much engineering recently, but having Slaking without truant and anywhere near that insanely powerful would be breaking its 'design intent'. It's a bit of a gimmick pokemon and its ability is why its the only non-mega non-legendary to have a BST over 600.

If you give it a mega, it'll have BST of 770 which is huge but hindered by its ability, so its pretty similar to the original Slaking but MEGA. If you take away the hindering ability as well, you'll just have... a reasonably common normal type which happens to have legendary level stats.

I don't know. I suspect I'm overreacting here and I agree with your overall assessment.
We have two Pokemon with hindering abilities--and both those abilities shot them straight down to NU. I'm pretty sure Game Freak already overshot it when it came to hindering Slaking and already backfired on their original intent.

I don't really see how it's breaking its design intent when we're talking about its Mega Evolution--would there not be a completely different design intent for that situation?

Something about the idea of an common, plain old normal type with legendary-level stats and movepool makes me profoundly uncomfortable.
Slaking themselves aren't very common on NPC trainer's teams, but we have Kangaskhan as another "common" normal type that has risen to the point of ubers, and then we have Mawile who went from something incredibly weak with 380 base stats to something that could contend with OU threats.

Slaking doesn't need a good ability--that's why my suggestion for it was merely Vital Spirit. But really, Slaking losing its ability but being able to use held items places it above many Megas already.

The Mega Slaking that @The Outrage proposed will be Uber-level.

- 190 base attack would tie with Mega Mewtwo X as the highest attack in the game.
- 150/130/100 bulk with only one weakness and an immunity to Ghost, the first or second most powerful offensive type in the game, is scary.
- 90 base speed is just slightly under the 100 base speed threshold for most OU pokemon.
- An immunity to sleep (and Spore)
- Slack Off for good recovery

I agree that Slaking needs a buffed up Mega Evolution, but these buffs are too much.

The Mega Slaking that @The Outrage proposed will be Uber-level.

You're saying that like any Mega Slaking without a hindering ability wouldn't be uber. It's a Pokemon with a 770 BST and a neutral ability. There's nothing we can't do that won't make it good. What do you propose? The only Mega we have that doesn't increase BST by 100 is Mega Alakazam, and even then its still 100 point increase compared to pre-Gen VI Alakazam (and we don't know if the 10 points was an oversight, which seems most likely given the situation its in)

Do we drop 20 points in each eligible stat? 150/180/120/115/85/120 is still fairly uber. In fact, its a much more capable sweeper with 180/115/120 spread than what I suggested.

Do we dump most of the points in its most useless stats? Too bad it has the movepool to pull off mix sweeping, and Def and SpD aren't exactly useless (and dumping a lot of the stats in SpD would solve the one thing other than Truant that holds it back).

There is seriously no way we can add 100 base points to a Pokemon with 670 BST and not make it uber--especially when the only thing holding it back is its ability. Sure, we could keep Truant, but I'm fairly sure Slaking wouldn't even increase in usage if it still had Truant or any stat hindering ability.

EDIT:
Maybe if we give it an ability that's equal to the negative effects of Life Orb? Having Mega Slaking lose 1/10th of its HP every time it attacks directly is going to take a toll on its defensive ability. It could even have an in-game explanation saying that Slaking's Mega Evolution is so powerful that it even gets damaged from its own strength.

If we go with this, I still much prefer my distribution over one that increases speed. The increase in speed would make it a formidable sweeper, but being slower means that Slaking has to rely more on its defenses. However, with an ability that chips away at its HP each time it attacks the increases in defense may not be that bad (though I hope it doesn't make them null)

Last edited:
What do you propose?
It simply shouldn't get a non-Truant Mega Evolution. If Game Freak are generous, a non-hindering hidden ability would suffice, but I find that unlikely.

The problem with Truant though is that I don't think it would be at all good being limited to attacking once per turn (and it certainly seems like a cruel joke with the existence of Mega Kangaskhan). What is it going to jump from? NU to UU at best? No one's really going to use a Mega that can only attack every other turn when we have others to choose from. Its not like we don't have Pokemon who can reach offensive stats higher than base 180 (Guts Heracross is notably still stronger than Mega Heracross)

I edited my earlier post to include an ability that simply has the negative effects of Life Orb, with the in-game explanation that the energy from Mega Evolution is so strong that it causes damage every time Slaking attacks. That would negate the majority of the defense buffs Slaking gets, allow it to be afflicted by Sleep, running Substitute to avoid status problematic, and if we keep its speed at 90, it would also be out-sped by other hard-hitters to chip away at its 150/130/100 bulk.

No one's really going to use a Mega that can only attack every other turn when we have others to choose from.
I don't think it should get a Mega Evolution.

I edited my earlier post to include an ability that simply has the negative effects of Life Orb, with the in-game explanation that the energy from Mega Evolution is so strong that it causes damage every time Slaking attacks. That would negate the majority of the defense buffs Slaking gets, allow it to be afflicted by Sleep, running Substitute to avoid status problematic, and if we keep its speed at 90, it would also be out-sped by other hard-hitters to chip away at its 150/130/100 bulk.
So it would be the same as a normal Pokémon holding Life Orb, except with 770 BST and without an ability. Sure, the distribution wouldn't be favorable if it only had 90 Speed, but many Ubers have the same Speed and/or Pressure as an ability, and they're still banned with only 680 BST.

To be fair, if if you treat it as though it were holding Life Orb, then its effective base Attack stat would be 135 (with a 1.3 boost) and its effective base Special Attack would be 73. So its effective BST would be roughly 680 like the main Ubers. I can't say that it would be more dangerous than simply removing Truant from the normal Slaking, but I am not sure that should happen, either.

Last edited:
Slaking with no truant would have a BST of 670 and great movepool and typing. That would make it the most powerful non-mega non-legendary Pokemon in the game, put it on par with many megas and likely bump it up to OU. That's basically a mega. Why not settle for that? There's no reason to mega a mega.

Also, I agree a version of non-truant Slaking shouldn't have a speed stat of over 90. We've seen from Garchomp how important the 90-100 bracket is. MegaGar is actually worse than vanilla due to those 10 base stat points (as well as the inability to hold items).

Slaking with no truant would have a BST of 670 and great movepool and typing. That would make it the most powerful non-mega non-legendary Pokemon in the game, put it on par with many megas and likely bump it up to OU. That's basically a mega. Why not settle for that? There's no reason to mega a mega.

What situation do we get where a Slaking simply has no ability? I'm sure we'd all go for it but this is the Mega Evolution thread so we're obviously going to have to go with the 100 BST increase. I mean, if there was an item for it, but then that wouldn't be the purpose of this thread.

I still do think that we can say Slaking is one of the few that can't Mega Evolve, simply because Vigoroth's evolution was so great that it basically released all of its untapped potential.

To be fair, if if you treat it as though it were holding Life Orb, then its effective base Attack stat would be 135 (with a 1.3 boost) and its effective base Special Attack would be 73. So its effective BST would be roughly 680 like the main Ubers. I can't say that it would be more dangerous than simply removing Truant from the normal Slaking, but I am not sure that should happen, either.
Mega Kangaskhan, if I recall, has a higher effective base stat than most legendaries thanks to Parental Bond, but saying "Mega Kangaskhan is broken and exists" really isn't good justification for Slaking.

So its effective strength on both spectrums is comparable to that of a LO Garchomp and its defenses hindered by losing 10% of its HP each turn. And we have Mega Evolutions that reach 700. I think we could give Slaking a chance here.

With that said, the alternative of removing Truant should obviously be done with a held item. If you're still iffy about my proposed Slaking, then imagine a Truant-less Slaking who still gets a held item.

Last edited:
With that said, the alternative of removing Truant should obviously be done with a held item. If you're still iffy about my proposed Slaking, then imagine a Truant-less Slaking who still gets a held item.
I am not that iffy about your suggestion, but I don't even trust Game Freak to make the right choice if a Mega Slaking is really on their agenda. I agree that removing Truant should require a held item either way. There are several Pokémon which would be better off with exclusive held items than with Mega Evolutions. In Slaking's case, the item should do nothing more than remove Truant.

This is coming from someone who doesn't play competitively and knows nothing about tiers, but how would a Mega Slaking with Slow Start be?

This is coming from someone who doesn't play competitively and knows nothing about tiers, but how would a Mega Slaking with Slow Start be?

Well, it's probably the only way that a Mega Slaking would even be feasible. With the guaranteed 100 point total stat boost, it would be far overpowered. Slow Start would probably be better than Traunt as a hindering ability since Traunt would still allow amazing (and likely) OHKO Giga Impacts every other turn whereas Slow Start would make it half both its Speed and Attack for 5 turns which is reasonable until Skill Swap and Gastro Acid are considered.

Long story short, Slow Start would be the only ability suitable for Mega Slaking, however Slaking should not get a mega imo. There are many other Pokemon who need Megas far more than Slaking and would benefit far more than Slaking. Especially Pokemon who have lower stats and are relatively weak, therefore needing a Mega to be viable. Like one of my top picks, Tropius.

I think Mega Evolution is perfect for Slaking

Mega Evos is all about releasing the latent power inside, which describes Slaking to a Tee, it has so much power, its just lazy.

lol. As if GameFreak was in any way concerned about the Pokémon that could use a Mega Evolution to be more usable in battle. Look at the Mega Pokémon introduced in XY. Obviously balance is the last of their reasons and their priorities.

Likewise I don't see why there shouldn't be a Mega Slaking or why being overpowered makes it impossible. We got Mewtwo X/Y and many other overpowered Megas of "normal" Pokémon. If they're already going all the way, there's no real concern with balance. A Mega Slaking with a hindering Ability would be a complete waste, just as regular Slaking and Regigigas are right now. Not very "Mega".

A Mega Slaking WITHOUT a hindering ability would be ridiculous. It would be ungodly. It would become one of the most overpowered uber pokemon of all time, more powerful than most legendaries. There aren't enough words to describe how broken that could be. A hindering ability should be a given.

Just make his ability Run Away and keep his stats as is. Never gonna happen though.

Maybe he can have slow start as his ability ? It is a sloth after all.
Would be pretty crappy still though.

Back
Top Bottom