• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Move Tutors/Expanding movepools

Honestly, I don't get the point of (some) move tutors... I don't see why they should exist at all... (Not to hurt your feelings, move tutors.)

But seriously, when you think about it, all a move tutor is is non-portable TM.
(Excluding the move tutors that ask for shards/BP and teach a move in exchange for them... THOSE move tutors should exist.) But the idea of "free" move tutors is pretty pointless. Why don't they just make them TMs? The only difference is the annoying aspect of having to go to that certain guy's house EVERY SINGLE TIME. I just don't get it... (Honestly, I want someone to explain this to me....)
[/rant]

Anyway, seeing as HGSS, as well as FRLG had move tutors although the originals didn't, it would make sense for ORAS to as well. As you may have noticed, I'm not a big fan of move tutors, so I'm not really sure what specific moves they should teach. But PLEASE don't make them free tutors. If you're planning on making free tutors, make the TMs instead, please GF. PLEASE.

Aside from the usual Frenzy Plant/Blast Burn/Hydro Cannon/Draco Meteor, when was the last time Move Tutors were free, Emerald? They probably won't be.

It'd be nice if they gave Fairy types, y'know, Fairy-type moves instead of having to rely strictly on TMs for that.

Well, the problem is that there's a limited number of Fairy type moves right now, and it'll probably take a generation or two before there's a decent amount of them (recall that several types like Bug and Dragon had this problem until 3rd/4th gen). In the meantime, I think several Pokemon could use at least one or two more Fairy moves, at least on lower levels. It's pretty ridiculous, for example, that the only Fairy type move Azumarill learns is Play Rough at Lv. 50, they should at least give it something like Draining Kiss or Fairy Wind at lower levels. I shouldn't have to wait until Lv. 50 before I can start taking advantage of its Fairy type.

I'd definitely like to see one or two Fairy type moves, maybe Fairy Wind and Moonblast.

I think Parabolic Charge should be one of those tutor moves. It had a very narrow distribution, with only the Helioptile and Dedenne lines having access to it.

Although many Electric-types are frail and can be OHKO'd by Earthquake and other powerful attacks, there are quite a few bulky Electric-types (Rotom's formes, Zapdos, Ampharos) that can use this move effectively.

If anything else, I want Ampharos to learn this move so its Mega form can access one of the few things that is holding it back competitively: lack of good recovery.

As for learn-up moves, I think Sceptile should be able to learn Dragon Pulse. Also, Diancie and the Amaura line should learn Power Gem.

Last edited:
I think Parabolic Charge should be one of those tutor moves. It had a very narrow distribution, with only the Helioptile and Dedenne lines having access to it.

Although many Electric-types are frail and can be OHKO'd by Earthquake and other powerful attacks, there are quite a few bulky Electric-types (Rotom's formes, Zapdos, Ampharos) that can use this move effectively.

If anything else, I want Ampharos to learn this move so its Mega form can access one of the few things that is holding it back competitively: lack of good recovery.

As for learn-up moves, I think Sceptile should be able to learn Dragon Pulse. Also, Diancie and the Amaura line should learn Power Gem.

^^this so much!!!

If they could bring back all a bunch of the move tutor moves from BW2, I'd be pretty happy. I'd especially like if moves that were TMs in Gen III but aren't anymore (like Iron Tail) were made available. In addition, I'd like for the elemental punches to be made available early on. Um...not sure what else. Especially want Outrage for the Salamence I'm planning to get. Preferably, it'd be best if all the move tutors were to be available before the Pokemon League (earlier and easier to use the better).

It'd be nice if they gave Fairy types, y'know, Fairy-type moves instead of having to rely strictly on TMs for that.

Well, the problem is that there's a limited number of Fairy type moves right now, and it'll probably take a generation or two before there's a decent amount of them (recall that several types like Bug and Dragon had this problem until 3rd/4th gen). In the meantime, I think several Pokemon could use at least one or two more Fairy moves, at least on lower levels. It's pretty ridiculous, for example, that the only Fairy type move Azumarill learns is Play Rough at Lv. 50, they should at least give it something like Draining Kiss or Fairy Wind at lower levels. I shouldn't have to wait until Lv. 50 before I can start taking advantage of its Fairy type.

I'd definitely like to see one or two Fairy type moves, maybe Fairy Wind and Moonblast.

Adding Fairy-type moves was implied.

THIS is one thing I am really hoping for. Being the numbskull that I am, I transported a lot of my good, EV-trained Pokemon from White before I taught them good moves in White 2. Now they're stuck with sucky, basic moves with a few cool egg moves here and there. XD This would also be the perfect time to teach my Pokemon exclusive to X some great moves, as well.

I am also really hoping for some good Fairy-type moves to be introduced. I am keeping my fingers crossed for Moonblast!

I don't know if Game Freak would make Moonblast a tutor move, though. Most of the Pokemon that can learn Moonblast are Fairy-type and/or connected to the moon somehow. Not even the Jigglypuff line has this move in its arsenal (though strangely the Altaria line does).

I think its limited distribution is the reason why Moonblast has a higher BP than Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, or Flamethrower. Broadening its access could only make Game Freak decide to weaken the move next gen.

Not even sure what uses Moon Blast that much. The top-tier fairies are either things like Mawile or Azumarill and use Play Rough, or have Pixilate and Hyper Voice.

Not even sure what uses Moon Blast that much. The top-tier fairies are either things like Mawile or Azumarill and use Play Rough, or have Pixilate and Hyper Voice.

Every other special Fairy that learns Moonblast and doesn't have Pixilate Hyper Voice uses Moonblast. (Well, maybe not Whimsicott and Carbink since they are usually used for support.) Clefable, Xerneas, Florges, Aromatisse and then Diancie will when it's released. Cresselia often runs it in RU too, but that isn't a Fairy (sadly :/).

If we're talking Smogon's tiers, then Xerneas is a top dog in Ubers and Clefable is really good in OU (I'd say that Clefable is a bigger threat in OU than Sylveon tbh). Florges is top UU and Aromatisse is top RU.

Tbh Moonblast should have been 110 like Fire Blast, Hydro Pump and Dazzling Gleam should have been 90 like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt.

I don't want Fairy tutors for anything really. Except maybe Play Rough, since that's given a wide distribution already, and I'd like to see Chesnaught, Pangoro, Weavile, etc able to learn it.

Edit: Togekiss would like Moonblast, but I think they avoided that due to Serene Grace. Which is silly given Air Slash has an arguably worse effect.

I hope we get a Sucker Punch move tutor. It's a really important tool for a lot of Pokemon, but as it's a Gen IV only tutor for many Pokemon to use it they have to have come from Gen IV which makes it incompatible with Hidden Abilities (not to mention breeding in those games is gross, and at this point I expect a lot of players might not even have Gen IV games).

Malamar and Pangoro in particular would appreciate it very much as well.

I hope that move tutors come back I feel like a few pokemon are lacking from missing moves and it would freak out the meta which is always fun to watch ;)

I really hope Sceptile has access to some awesome moves. Especially since he's part dragon now.

Same with pretty much any Mega that changes type for that matter (Charizard, Mewtwo, Ampharos), it kinda sucks for them because Megas don't have different movepools and can't really take advantage of the type change that well.

I so want move tutors, need even for the gen 6 Pokemon! Lets hope Delphox gets some love!
I'd love to see the elemental punches most and so much more!

The move Feint is interesting but I'm too lazy to breed for it. A Move Tutor for it would be very appreciated

Same with pretty much any Mega that changes type for that matter (Charizard, Mewtwo, Ampharos), it kinda sucks for them because Megas don't have different movepools and can't really take advantage of the type change that well.

At least they have easy(ish) access to a move that can take advantage of the type change. With any luck though Sceptile will either get Dragon Pulse added to Treeckos egg pool, get it as a Heart Scale-able move like Ampharos did for its mega, or it'll be put in as a tutor able move somewhere, preferably somewhere near where we get the mega stone to take the most advantage of Sceptiles typing.

i'd really like to have electroweb come back in a move tutor and have a liiiiiitle bit more distribution. xD

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom