• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(RMT) My Attempt at Competitive Online

PD83

Reaction score
This is one of my first attempts at creating a team for competitive battling online, and my first for this generation (my first few were all Gen. IV). I want to establish that I plan for this team to be as versatile as possible, if possible, and to be somewhat made up of more "off-the-radar" Pokemon to avoid an easy counter, which I feel I would face if I played, say, Blissey or Aegislash. This is purely theoretical, and I have not assembled this team as of now.

That said, any criticisms are appreciated and considered, along with any advice one would be willing to give. The following Pokemon are in the order I would wish to play them.

1. Bronzong
Item:
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Levitate
Moves:
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
EV's:
252 SpD/ 252 D/ 4 HP

Bronzong's role on this team is to be a bulky support, capable of switching in and out, take hits, and provide defensive support to all other Pokemon in the team when needed. Sassy allows for the Sp. Defense help, while dropping in Speed, which is not a very significant loss, considering Gyro Ball's presence. Trick Room's role will be explained later.

2. Gardevoir
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Modest
Ability: Trace
Moves:
- Wish
- Moon Blast
- Toxic
- Taunt
EV's:
252 SpA/ 192 D/ 64 SpD

Gardevoir is supposed to play as a staler, while providing a Special Attack threat. Life Orb elevates Moon Blast's effectiveness, along with its Nature and EV spread and STAB, and Toxic breaks down walls. However, Wish should cover up its cons. Meanwhile, Taunt can destroy strategies.

3. Snorlax
Item: Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Thick Fat
Moves:
- Wild Charge
- Rest
- Protect
- Belly Drum
EV's:
252 Atk/ 72 HP/ 92 D/ 92 SpD

Snorlax is another staler who, unlike Gardevoir, proves a physical threat. While I take risk with Belly Drum, I hope Dual Screens make as big an effect as I believe.

4. Ninjask
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ability: Speed Force
Moves:
- Substitute
- X-Scissor/Protect
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
EV's:
252 HP/ 128 Atk/ 128 Spd

Ninjask here serves as a potential Baton Passer to any of the Pokemon on my team, but primarily is meant to be used for either of the next two:

5. Salamence
Item: Yache Berry
Nature: Modest
Ability: Intimidate
Moves:
- Dragon Tail
- Brick Break
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
EV's:
252 SpA/ 128 Spd/ 128 Atk

Salamence serves as a mixed sweeper, benefited from the possible Baton Pass from Ninjask. Moveset provides an interesting coverage.

6. Infernape
Item: Unsure
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Iron Fist
Moves:
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Grass Knot
- Thunderpunch

Same reasoning as Salamence.

Overall, I plan to use this team in two phases:
Phase 1 - Focus on using the first half to wear down the enemy team, and (I believe Trick Room should run only when going through Phase 1, allowing the speedy Phase 2 Pokemon to be unaffected, while the Phase 1 Pokemon can do what they need first)
Phase 2 - Finish them off.

Generally, as both are being done I'm simultaneously trying to power up my own Pokemon while maintaining defense.

I am aware of the severe defensive flaws of some of these Pokemon, and I accept any advice, as I'm iffy on the Dual Screens protecting them.

You built this team taking two separate teams and mashing them together. There's no organization and no real reason to need a phase 1 and phase 2. With this team you'd likely lose before you phase strategy even takes place.

Bronzong is outclassed by Ferrothorn, Gardevoir is outclassed by Sylveon, and Snorlax is outclassed by Dragonite. There's your defensive core.

Ninjask is terrible. Use M-Pinsir. If you keep Salamence go all Special. If not use a Hydreigon. Infernape is terrible. You'll likely want a Spinner. Excadrill is your best option.

This team is stuck in the fourth gen. Pokemon has changed since then. Always do some research before you build a team.

You built this team taking two separate teams and mashing them together. There's no organization and no real reason to need a phase 1 and phase 2. With this team you'd likely lose before you phase strategy even takes place.

Bronzong is outclassed by Ferrothorn, Gardevoir is outclassed by Sylveon, and Snorlax is outclassed by Dragonite. There's your defensive core.

Ninjask is terrible. Use M-Pinsir. If you keep Salamence go all Special. If not use a Hydreigon. Infernape is terrible. You'll likely want a Spinner. Excadrill is your best option.

This team is stuck in the fourth gen. Pokemon has changed since then. Always do some research before you build a team.

Thank you for the response and criticism. I appreciate it.

I tried avoiding the Pokémon you listed, however, as they seem popular, and thus have counters?

I tried avoiding the Pokémon you listed, however, as they seem popular, and thus have counters?

All Pokémon have counters, but the common ones have more ways of dealing with them as they tend to be able to run more than one set effectively. On top of that, they counter your Pokémon quite effectively as well. For instance, Dragonite is super common and is prepared for, but in preparing for Dragonite people unintentionally prepare for Salamence as well as they have similar counters. But Dragonite can bypass those counters as it has 3 different sets it can run effectively (Band, CBBnite, and DD) and tools like Extreme Speed and Multiscale to deal with stuff like Ice Shard while Salamence essentially faints at the mere sight of a Mamoswine, MAbomasnow, or Weavile, even with Yache Berry. (252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Yache Berry Salamence: 393-463 (118.7 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO, -1 252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yache Berry Salamence: 291-346 (87.9 - 104.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock, etc) On top of that, your sets are subpar. for instance, you maxed both Defenses on Bronzong when maxing HP and SDef would grant much greater special bulk at the cost of very little physical bulk, you pumped EVs into Def and Sdef into Gardevoir and didn't max its Speed when Gardevoir is too slow and frail to utilize them effectively, you didn't put HP Evs on Gardevoir, which makes its Wishes pathetic when attempting to pass them to teammates and the golden rule of Pokémon EvV training is that you never put defensive EVs before HP EVs, you used a Modest nature and maxed SAtk on Gard when it only has 1 attacking move, Snorlax is way too slow to sweep, your EVs are all over the place, Wild Charge isn't STAb, is pretty weak, and has recoil, and there's a whole type immune to it, Protect is a waste of a moveslot. Ninjask's Evs are all over the place and Impish isn't doing it any favors, plus Ninjask is 100% outclassed by Scolipede, Salamence is Modest (which lowers Atk) but has 2 physucal moves, Salamence doesn't have its Speed maxed even though it desperately needs max, +nature Speed as it's in the dreaded 100 base speed tier, you're using Dragon Tail on a sweeper despite its low base power and negative priority, you want Moxie on sweeper Salamence, you want Life Orb to max your damage output, Infernape is Jolly despite carrying a Special Attack, MixNape prefers Overheat to Flare Blitz, etcetera. Now, I'm not telling you to use the exact 6 Pokémon below as their synergy is dubious (feel free to try it, but trust me, it sucks) but if you want a team that's exactly like this one, but with actual good Pokémon it would look like this:

Deoxys-Screens (Deoxys-Speed) @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock
- Psycho Boost

Special Wall (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Physical Wall (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Bulky BPede (Scolipede) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Iron Defense

Mixed WeakNite (Dragonite) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Hurricane
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast

The Crumbler (Aegislash) @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 240 Atk / 252 SAtk / 12 Spd / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

All Pokémon have counters, but the common ones have more ways of dealing with them as they tend to be able to run more than one set effectively. On top of that, they counter your Pokémon quite effectively as well. For instance, Dragonite is super common and is prepared for, but in preparing for Dragonite people unintentionally prepare for Salamence as well as they have similar counters. But Dragonite can bypass those counters as it has 3 different sets it can run effectively (Band, CBBnite, and DD) and tools like Extreme Speed and Multiscale to deal with stuff like Ice Shard while Salamence essentially faints at the mere sight of a Mamoswine, MAbomasnow, or Weavile, even with Yache Berry. (252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Yache Berry Salamence: 393-463 (118.7 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO, -1 252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yache Berry Salamence: 291-346 (87.9 - 104.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock, etc) On top of that, your sets are subpar. for instance, you maxed both Defenses on Bronzong when maxing HP and SDef would grant much greater special bulk at the cost of very little physical bulk, you pumped EVs into Def and Sdef into Gardevoir and didn't max its Speed when Gardevoir is too slow and frail to utilize them effectively, you didn't put HP Evs on Gardevoir, which makes its Wishes pathetic when attempting to pass them to teammates and the golden rule of Pokémon EvV training is that you never put defensive EVs before HP EVs, you used a Modest nature and maxed SAtk on Gard when it only has 1 attacking move, Snorlax is way too slow to sweep, your EVs are all over the place, Wild Charge isn't STAb, is pretty weak, and has recoil, and there's a whole type immune to it, Protect is a waste of a moveslot. Ninjask's Evs are all over the place and Impish isn't doing it any favors, plus Ninjask is 100% outclassed by Scolipede, Salamence is Modest (which lowers Atk) but has 2 physucal moves, Salamence doesn't have its Speed maxed even though it desperately needs max, +nature Speed as it's in the dreaded 100 base speed tier, you're using Dragon Tail on a sweeper despite its low base power and negative priority, you want Moxie on sweeper Salamence, you want Life Orb to max your damage output, Infernape is Jolly despite carrying a Special Attack, MixNape prefers Overheat to Flare Blitz, etcetera. Now, I'm not telling you to use the exact 6 Pokémon below as their synergy is dubious (feel free to try it, but trust me, it sucks) but if you want a team that's exactly like this one, but with actual good Pokémon it would look like this:

Deoxys-Screens (Deoxys-Speed) @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock
- Psycho Boost

Special Wall (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Physical Wall (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Bulky BPede (Scolipede) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Iron Defense

Mixed WeakNite (Dragonite) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Hurricane
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast

The Crumbler (Aegislash) @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 240 Atk / 252 SAtk / 12 Spd / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
I appreciate the help and advice. Thanks. Time to start thinking of a second team!

P.S Some of those weaknesses you mentioned (I.e Snorlax weak, Salamence nature, Gardevoir frail, etc.) I tried to solve via TR (+ BD for Snorlax), or Ninjask's baton passing. For Salamence's nature, I tried balancing out Atk and SpA, while they're still relatively high.

P.S Some of those weaknesses you mentioned (I.e Snorlax weak, Salamence nature, Gardevoir frail, etc.) I tried to solve via TR (+ BD for Snorlax), or Ninjask's baton passing. For Salamence's nature, I tried balancing out Atk and SpA, while they're still relatively high.

By sacrificing half of your team to Trick Room and half your team to Hyper Offense you hurt your entire team. I wouldn't even recommend using TR in OU. There's many more uses for it in UU and RU and VGC Doubles. Whenever you're building a team you have to think about whether each addition helps or hurts your team.

If you do still find yourself struggling I recommend the BBL Mentorship Program. And if you'd like to test your team I recommend the BBL League.

By sacrificing half of your team to Trick Room and half your team to Hyper Offense you hurt your entire team. I wouldn't even recommend using TR in OU. There's many more uses for it in UU and RU and VGC Doubles. Whenever you're building a team you have to think about whether each addition helps or hurts your team.

If you do still find yourself struggling I recommend the BBL Mentorship Program. And if you'd like to test your team I recommend the BBL League.

I'll give it the BBLMP a try, thanks!

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom