• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the last game you played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished My first Wii U game, New Super Mario Bros. U, so I figured I'd talk about that.

I must say, whoever owned my Wii U beforehand, I thank you for sending this along with it. Now, what shall I talk about first..? I think I'll start with the music. The music is not the best I've heard, *coughOkamiandEtrianOdysseyUntoldcough* but it is still quite well-done. I also like the little touches to do with the music, such as fat baby Yoshi singing when you pick him/her up or how the enemies dance to certian notes. Now, on to gameplay. This is actually the second Mario game I've ever played, with my first being the origonal on Virtual Console (which I never finished,) but I have playec through the Crash trilogy for the PS1, so I'm net entirely unfamiliar with the "One hit and you're dead" platformers... However, it was still pretty F***ING difficuilt (either that or I'm just not as good as when I was yong.) While there are easy levels throughout the game, there are an equel amount of F***ING EVIL levels. However, the difficuilty, while it is hard, is not the kind of hard that makes you quit, rather it's the kind that makes you want to try harder... Or something like that. Anyway, on to story... Actually, do I really need to explain the story of a Mario game to you? No? Alright then... That's all I really have to say actually, so I'll wrap this up here... Actually, there IS something I HAVE to talk about. No, not fat baby Yoshi, but the boss battles. They are pretty easy, because they decided to give them the same amount of health as you: three hits (I know I said it's a one-hit-death game, but each time you collect a Mushroom or a Suit power-up you health inceses, with the suit giving you a total of three hits.) Even the final boss gets this treatment, which is terrible coming from Bowser... That's all I have to say.

All-in-all, NSMBU is a good game, even if it can be pretty hard if you're not experienced with platformers or games where one hit kills you. The music is very good, not much room for improvement there. The story is the usual, but I'm OK with that because the gameplay is what makes or breaks a platformer and that gameplay, as I already stated, is pretty good. The boss fights are nothing special (except maybe the final boss,) but the rest makes up for that, making this my favourite Wii U game so far (though it's not like I have a choice) and one that I give a 8.5/10.

Tomb Raider (PC) 8/10

The reboot is made very well. The environment is beautiful yet dark and eerie. Lara's character development is written and performed well. Her character is solid and has strong presence which out shadows the other forgettable characters. The main villain is another someone that didn't really made a strong impression or whatsoever.

The gameplay and controls are great. I love exploring every area of the island and discover something like collectibles or a tomb entrance. I really hope the tombs were bigger and had more puzzles in it. Most tombs are really short and would probably only take you a minute or two to figure. Combat is great but I get annoyed by too many QTEs.

Post game you can still finish the collectibles but isn't really that special. Online multiplayer is rather bland and dull too.

Overall, I wish the game had more content like bigger tombs, more puzzles and more collectibles.

Fire Emblem 1 (NES): 3.5/5

A solid start for the series but there was obvious room for improvement in some areas. This was my first Fire Emblem and I feel like a lot of the foundations of the series are visible here; e.g. the character designs are pretty bland, the gameplay is what shines the most, and the concept of permanent death makes the battles more captivating if not infuriating. I was expecting it to be extremely hard throughout but only a couple of chapters were difficult, although when the game got tough it became nearly impossible. There was surprisingly quite a bit of story for an NES game but nothing really blew me away in terms of plot revelations or developments. I will be interested in seeing how future FEs improved on this game's concepts.

Child of Light: 9/10

The game is breathtakingly beautiful and surprisingly gives a wonderful sense of immersion. I enjoyed most of the characters (Rubella, Finn, and Oengus in particular), the skill system, and especially the battle system. OH, the battle system. I could go on and on about how much I freaking love it, but in short, I found it ingenious to revolve around a timeline with a casting period and being able to prevent enemies from attacking if you blast them with Starlight (hehehe) while they're charging up. The predictable plot twists and sometimes forced rhyming did make the experience slightly less enjoyable. However, the beautiful environments and soundtrack alone more than make up for this games shortcomings.

I have two reveiws for the price of one here, both being games I've wanted to talk about for a while for varying reasons.

First, my thoughts on DuckTales: Remastered for the Wii U:
This is on of those of games I wouldn't usually buy (i.e, a Disney game) but man am I glad I did because WayFoward really knows what they're doing when it comes to platformers. Now, what to talk about first... I know, the music.

Oh, the godly music this game has... This game's soundtrack is right up there with the best, such as Okami and Etrian Odyssey Untold, and all I need to do to convince you of that fact is to get you to listen to the theme from the Moon level. That convince you? If not then you have bad taste in music. And if you're wondering if they stayed true to the soundtrack from the origonal (which I haven't played BTW,) firstly, all they did was make the music a bit more modern and orchestrial, so yes they did stay true to the origonal's music but also improved on it (except for that Moon theme, though that's excusable because was practicly no room for improvement to begin with there,) and secondly, if, for whatever crazy reason, you don't like the new soundtrack then you can, once you beat the game, turn on the 8-Bit music option, which, as the name implies, turns all the tracks into those from the NES origonal (or just purchase them with in-game money whenever you want along with various other collectables.)

Anyway, moving on, we get to another thing I like, the art style. It's pretty much exactly what I would expect a cartoon to look like if it were suddenly turned into a game, with 2D sprites being used for the characters and enemies and 3D everything else, which is very reminisent of old cartoons... That's all I really have to say about that, on to the next thing.

The story is not exactly Zelda matterial but it has it's own Disney-ish charm, as does the writing, though you had to have watched the show it was based off of to know who everyone is and why they are doing what they are doing... Which I did not, so I was in the dark there, that fact being one of my only complaints about this game. Either way, I liked how most of the characters were voiced by the actors from the cartoon, even Scrooge, who's voice actor, Alan Young, is in his nineties (according to Wikipedia.)

As for the actuall gameplay, it's really fun to bounce around everywhere on you cane-pogo... thing, though it would actually be very difficuilt for me if I didn't play it on easy mode, where you have an endless supply of lives... That's all I really have to say about it.

Anyway, summary time: DuckTales: Remastered is a great game, with fun gameplay, a nice cartoony art style which complements the Disney-ish writing of the game very well (even if the younger demographic probably has not much of an idea who everyone is,) the fact that most of the origonal voice actors made a reappearence being a nice little touch to me (though being a very big one to someone who watched the show.) Oh, and that F***ING GODLY musuc. With all those factors considered, I give this game my BadAssGardevoir rating of BY IT NOW!!! ...Also know as a 9/10.

And now for the second game I wanted to talk about: Pokéemon Rumble U... I think I stated my thoughts on it best in the thread Your LEAST Favourite Pokémon Game, so I'll just say what I did there and give a final summary at the end:

You know how I said that Ranger and PMD 3 were my least favourite Pokémon games? Well, I think I've changed my mind. My new least favourtie Pokémon game is Pokémon Rumble U. Why, you ask? Well, let me tell you. Firstly, let's start with the positves. There's a certian joy I get from playing one of the Pokémon Rumble games that can't be replicated in any other Pokémon game (so far,) the fact that they recycled some of the tracks from the origonal and Super Pokémon Rumble is pretty cool, SOME of the new music was good and a few of the new items were cool... That's about it, unfortunately...

COMMENCE ANGRY VIDEO GAME GARDEVOIR RANT!!!!!

Anyway, now for the bad: firstly, remember what I said about the music? Well A: it would kinda be good to be able to hear it once in a while insted of constant attack sound effects and B: most of the new music is terrible. Second, the camera is, quite frankly, shite compared to previous entries. Third, and possibly the second most annoying thing about this game for me, is half the time you can't see where the fook you are between the swarms of enemies that are in (almost) EVERY SINGLE STAGE and all the flashy attack animations. Forth, the fact that, unless you have four players, you have to do Every SINGLE STAGE with some of the stupidest AI teamates I've ever seen. Forth, if you're playing alone (like I did) and you die then all your teamates go down (and you can't take control of another one like i SPR's Team Battles, which is also annoying.) Fortunately, however, there is a continue option. UNfortunately, however, it can only be used once and it revives you right where you fell, meaning if you were surrounded by enemies at the point of death, they will just keep on mercilessly beating the life out of you until you are forced to go back to the begining fo the stage. Also, there is no sence of progression, seeing as each level is basicly a giant arena (I know there is a progress bar at the top, but do you want to watch that or do you want to watch out for an enemy or ten thousand?) Another thing that bothers me is that you can actually make the game rediculusly easy from the start until near the end; all you have to do is use the Password feature and BOOM! 1000-1700 Power 'mons right off the bat. Also, part way through the game, there is this one level that, when I cleared it's challenges, gave me a Tornadus with 2200 Power-that's stronger then the 'mons you get from the FOOKING FINAL LEVEL! And speeking of the final level... IT'S PLAIN FOOKING CHEEP! It is a perfect example of all the things wrong with the game; the attack sound effects prevent you from hearing the music, which is some of my favourite music from Super Pokémon Rumble BTW, and you have to attack a lot because there are THOUSANDS of enemies in this stage, with hundreds on-screen at a time, which A: your dumb teamates constantly run into, meaning they get themslelves killed and B: makes it nearly impossible to see where you are, and it dosen't help that it's pretty dark in this particular stage. Also it has the one thing that I find more annoying than being covered in enemies: THOSE F***ING CRYOGONAL. THEY are the true reason why this stage is so fooking cheep and are probably why I don't like this game at all. Why, you ask? Well, because their Ice Beam attack that they get in the latter half of the stage makes you pause for a second when it hits you, which is devestating when in swarms but is absolutely torturous when there's just two of them, one charging up a beam while the other fires at you, meaning you can't do jack shite and your fooking stupid AI teamates are off fighting a large swarm of enemies that they won't be done with for what seems like a half hour... That's all I have to say really... Oh, wait, one more issue I have with it: the "story" is near non-existant and hard to follow; you need to visit the offical site to know what the fook is going on, and even then it's hard to peice anything together. NOW I have nothing else to say, over to you next poster.

Actually I do have something else to say; the final wrap-up. This game is not exactly good and is a stain on an otherwise great series with issues like teamates who are not exactly the brightest Magnemites in the box, the fact that you can't see where you are that easilly with all the other crap on-screen, so on and so forth. But either the anger from the Cryogonal incident has worn off or the good feeling I get when playing a Rumble game is powerfull enough to make me give it my BadAssGardevoir rating of Try It Out (a.k.a, 4/10) insted of the 2 I would've given it a the time of that post.

Donald no Mahou no Boushi - I liked the obscure style of the game even Donald being a children's character. (7,5)

Super Mario Bros. - It's a classic, need I say more? (10,0)

Last edited:
I have finally finished my first playthrough of Okami, about 10 minutes ago. I started last summer, in late July and played till the end of August. I promised myself I would only continue until next (this) summer to fully enjoy it and not be hit with distractions. I am so happy and proud of myself that I finally got to finish Okami today, a few days before damn school starts. Every aspect was really enjoyable, from the music to the beautiful traditional Japanese visual art-style. Even feeding the animals was something enjoyable! What a great adventure it was, to play as the great sun goddess Amaterasu in wolf form and meet all the other celestial gods/goddesses. It was a very inspiring story and I doubt there will ever be anything like Okami (besides Okamiden, of course)! The sun will always rise!!

10/10

Although it was a little annoying whenever someone called Ammy by a masculine form of a word (god, king, etc).

The next time I want to play through Okami again, I want to make sure I've learned Japanese first!

Last edited:
Just figured I'd talk about Metroid Prime 2: Echoes since I just finished it, so here we go...

I can pretty much sum up this game in five words and a number: not as good as Prime 1. As for how "not as good as Prime 1" it is, well, let's start with the presentation, shall we?

The music in this game is lackluster when compared to it's predecesor, with the Torvus Bog there being the only memorable one for me. Also, while the art style is pretty much the same as Prime's, the colour palate the designers used just made everything look... bland. I don't really need to say anything more here, let's move on to the story.

The basic idea here is that Samus is sent to investigate some ship that crash-landed (or something) on a planet named after one of Ike's attacks, Aether. When you get there, however, you discover that the people on-borad said ship are either all dead or efectively zombies and after some further searching you come across some alian character who tells you that his race has been at war with another alien race and you have to go and stop them lest the whole planet colapse... Or something, which is all well and good, but there is something wrong with this: this is a Metroid game, and (as far as I know) they are ment to be about isolation and figuring out where the f*** you're suppostto be going on your own, but in this game there's that alien that I mentioned, breaking the isolation rule, and he tells you where to go, breaking the "figure it out by yourself" rule... Though this could just be me being nit-pickey.

Anyways, on to the actual gameplay, and, while there's not a lot I can find faults with it (probably because the gameplay is quite similar to Prime 1,) those faults that are there are pretty annoying. First, there's something that bugs me quite a bit: your beams have ammo. While this is pretty common in FPSes, first, this is not technicly an FPS; it, along with the other Primes, are 'First Person Adventures,' second, this feature was not included in Prime 1 (or 3 from what I've heard,) so I don't see any reason for it here and third, it would be VERY annoying to run out of beam ammo on the final phase of the semifinal boss, because the only way to decrease it's health is to hit it with a particular type of beam according to which colour it's weak spot is... Yeah, you're screwd if that happens. My other complaint with the gameplay is the fact that Dark Aether is a thing, and in Dark Aether you *ahem* "gradually" loose health with every passing second, making cheep deaths extremely easy until you get the Light Suit near the end of the game.

...Actually, that's all I really have right now, so I'll give this game my BadAss ratting of 'meh' (5/10.)

Fire Emblem.It's a great game,and it was the first one in English,so bonus!The story is great,and there's three of them:

Lyn's story,who is the last living member of the Lacora tribe that were destroyed by the bandits of Taviler finds a passed out tactician and sets off on a journey of revenge.Then,she meets two Lycian knights in the biggest town in Sacae,who tell her she is the lost heir to the throne of Caelin,and her grandfather,the sitting marquess,is ill and has requested the knights bring her there.She learns her great uncle Lungren is trying to take the throne,and poisoned the marquess to do so.It's sorta the tutorial and it goes from the Prologue to chapter 10.

Eliwood's,which is one year after Lyn's story,in which he goes to searching for his missing father,meeting up with his friend Hector and Lyn,whom he helped during the war with Lungren.He ends up wielding the blazing sword Dundral and is set on a course to save the world from dragons.His goes on from chapter 11 to the final.

Hector's story,which is basically Eliwood's story,but it has what happened before he met with Eliwood on his way to Santuraze,and some extra chapters thrown in.It also goes from chapter 11 to the final.

There is also a sort of create a character,which I love,and my inner fangirl loves,too.I then became a HectorxFE!Tactician shipper.

So,overall,I give it a 9/10.Docked because Nergal's freaky injured eye.*shiver*

EDIT:Thanks for reminding me..I tend to go over board with descriptions...

Last edited:
Fire Emblem.It's a great game,and it was the first one in English,so bonus!The story is great,and there's three of them:

Lyn's story,who is the last living member of the Lacora tribe that were destroyed by the bandits of Taviler finds a passed out tactician and sets off on a journey of revenge.Then,she meets two Lycian knights in the biggest town in Sacae,who tell her she is the lost heir to the throne of Caelin,and her grandfather,the sitting marquess,is ill and has requested the knights bring her there.She learns her great uncle Lungren is trying to take the throne,and poisoned the marquess to do so.It's sorta the tutorial and it goes from the Prologue to chapter 10.

Eliwood's,which is one year after Lyn's story,in which he goes to searching for his missing father,meeting up with his friend Hector and Lyn,whom he helped during the war with Lungren.He ends up wielding the blazing sword Dundral and is set on a course to save the world from dragons.His goes on from chapter 11 to the final.

Hector's story,which is basically Eliwood's story,but it has what happened before he met with Eliwood on his way to Santuraze,and some extra chapters thrown in.It also goes from chapter 11 to the final.

There is also a sort of create a character,which I love,and my inner fangirl loves,too.I then became a HectorxFE!Tactician shipper.

So,overall,I give it a 9/10.Docked because Nergal's freaky injured eye.*shiver*

Um, I'm not trying to be rude, but your summaries of Lyn's, Eliwood's and Hector's stories are kind of spoiler-y. Lucky for me, I've already played FE7, but you should put anything that is from further on in the game in spoiler tags. Summarizing a game isn't the same as reviewing it, you know. xD

Last edited:
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright

8.3/10

I quite enjoyed it, but I think I prefer regular Ace Attorney games. Not going into a review right now.

Mega Man X

8/10

I decided to take a break from the newer games I have to something I am more familiar with. This is a game I first played when I was 6 or 7 years old, and I remember not liking it too much back then because it was too hard. XD I beat it when I was a lot older, and now it is one of my favorite games of all time. However, it isn't perfect.

From a gameplay point of view, it is awesome! Everything just moves so fluidly and a few of the levels had some gimmicks that made the game ultra fun, instead of making them unbearable to play (unlike future games, but now is not the time for that). The soundtrack is amazing and I enjoy listening to the themes even when I am not playing this game. I don't think there is a single theme I hate in this game, and that makes me happy.

Now for the parts I don't care about. I don't care for the plot or tone. Like, at all. I hate how depressing the ending is, and I hate how this game is supposedly set in the future of the classic series, a series known for its fun and colorful world. Because of that, my headcanons dictate that this is an alternate future, not the future of the classic games. I can see why fans of the classic games do not like this spin-off, and I don't blame them for not wanting to play it. The plot gets even worse and worse as time goes on, and so do the games, but I am just talking about the first game so I'll get into it later. The bosses in this game and future X games are also a little forgettable. I don't care for the animal theming and none of them seem to have any personality except just to be there and get killed. Oh yeah, killing is done in these games. Lots of it. It frickin' sucks, and that is why consider it an alternate future, and no one can change my mind on that.

Regardless of the terrible ending and overall plot, it is still a good game and I enjoy it for what it offers to those who just like to play games. It's such a shame that it starts off big and gradually decreases in quality.

Last edited:
Kid Icarus Uprising. 8/10.

+ Funny dialogue
+ Memorable characters
+ Great music
+ Fun bosses
+ Meaty in content

- Gameplay is okay at best
- Controls are terribad
- The dev team clearly had no idea what to do with the story of this game. It is a mess

Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers (3DS) 6/10

I'm a huge SMT fan. Since the first time I've played Nocturne in PS2, I instantly became a fan of the franchise. Soul Hackers in somehow a different take to the SMT. My initial impression was I thought the game kinda look dull. I don't find any of the characters likable or memorable. Nemissa was extremely annoying. I also find the storyline to be weak. But my biggest disappointment from the game is the lack of choices an openness the franchise is known for. Soul Hackers is very straightforward compare to other SMT games (including Persona). It's short too. The trademark, demon system, is present in the game but nothing special. The setting is okay, I love the semi futuristic vibe of the Amami city and the Paradigm X. My favorite part and probably the only thing I like about the game is the music. Fortunately, Soul Hackers still has the consistently great music from all SMT games. Let me tell you, the intro music to this game is fantastic. Overall, the game is good enough to keep my interest from start to finish. Difficulty is okay, you can actually switch the difficulty to any mode at any time of the game. Good game, it just felt lacking and underwhelming.

Just finished TLoZ: Wind Waker HD, so...

Music and visuals: This game is incredibly good in this front, especially in the visuals department (ever though it can look a bit too cartoony at times.) My favourite peices of music, for example, are the title theme, Dragon Roost Island's theme and the theme of the Wind Temple's boss (forgot it's name.) As for the visuals, I'd say the Wind Temple, the Forest Sanctuary and the dungeon on Dragon Roost Island are some of the more beautiful spots in the game.

As for the actual gameplay, it varied. For example, late in the game there are two dungeons where you have to guide a character through these dungeons, the Earth Temple and the Wind Temple. The Earth Temple is my favourite dungeon in the game thanks to the interesting puzzles that involve the use of your companion for the dungeon, Medli (and the fact that she's not useless.) ...However, it also has a boss that is incredibly easy if,like me, you had the Hurricans Spin. The Wind Temple, however, is my absolute least favourite dungeon in the game thanks to it taking all that was good about the Earth Temple and s***ing on it with an useless companion who makes really annoying sounds whenever he moves, annooying as f*** puzzles and... My favourite boss battle in the game? Yeah, the worst dungeon in the game has the best boss... That's all I have to say on the gameplay front.

The story, at first, is a bit different from the regular "Zelda gets kidnaped, go save her while gathering the Triforce" that others in the series have, insted having the first half of the game dedicated to having Lnk save his sister (it's not that different, but close enough.) I personally like this touch, and I don't mind that it becomes a "save Zelda" deal in the end... That's all I have to say here.

Overall, I'd say that while Wind Waker has good points, it also has bad ones... Though I think that the good points mostly outweigh the bad ones, so I give this game my BadAss rating of It's Plain Good (8/10).

Megaman Starforce 3: Black Ace

I loved the last game in the series, so when i finally picked this one up after years of searching for it, i just had to get it. and my money was well spent. While the base gameplay is the same, i love how much quicker the battles and the battle system are. It's much easier and faster to pick up and play this game. And i love the Noise Change combat system. it adds a new, random layer of gameplay that can definitely add replayability, what with trying to get all the possible Noise Forms. The story is pretty good as well. While the writing itself is still pretty corny and cheesy, and is clearly trying to get its messages across, the game still stands strong with its fun characters and dialogue. I certainly think it's an improvement over the past games' stories, since we get to see these characters start to grow and mature the most in this game. My only complaints are the graphics, settings, and the length. With the 3rd game in the series, you'd think they would have more opportunity to update and improve on the game's look. but these graphics are the same as the past games. Since there aren't that many locations to travel to in this game, there isn't much creativity in the world. It gets repetitive going to the same place over and over again. While i still haven't done much of the postgame stuff yet, the game only took me 15 hours to complete the main story. That's short for an RPG.

So to sum up:

+Fun gameplay
+memorable characters
+great story

-short length
-dated graphics

7/10. It's definitely worth checking out, especially if you're a Megaman fan, but those looking for a hard, long RPG should probably skip it.

Greetings, fellow forum-goers,
Child of Liglt, I have been playing.
In fact, I've just finished it,
So I thought I'd give it a rating.​

...Anyway, with obligatory rhymne out of the way, let's start this rating of with the presentation, shall we?

Art Style:

Well, firstly, the art style in this game is definately what sold it for me. As for what the style actually is, it's similar to Okaim in that it looks like you are playing a painting... I hope I got across what I was trying to convay there... Anyway, the main area where it differs from Okami is that, while Okami's are style is that of a Japanesse painting, Child of Light has you playing through a little kid's story book. That's as much as I'm going to go into on the art style, though I implore you to look up a screenshot or ten to see how beautifull it is for yourself. Oh, and I give the art style a 10/10.

Music:

As for the music, this is another of the game's strong points, psyching you up for a battle-even a regular encounter-or making you shed as tear at just the right moments. If you doubt my claim, then just listen to the regular battle theme. Not convinced yet? Well, how about this track that plays at a spoilerific time in the story. Still not convinced yet? Well, off to the insanity wards with you.

...However, there is one small fault with the music: since most of the themes use similar instruments, they can get a bit repeditve. Anyway, with all things music adressed, I'd give it a 9.5/10.

...Before I move on from presentation, however, there is one thing I would like to adress: almost every single peice of daiolouge rhymes in this game. As for wheather that is good or bad, it really depends on the person, but as for me, ti made the illusion of playing through a kid's story book all the more beleiveable, so I'd say that I liked it. I also liked how some of the cutscenes are narrated by an actual voice actor-the only one in the game-because it gives me the impression of a mother reading to her son/daughter.

Story:

The story in this game, while not the best I've seen from an RPG, is another one of those child's story book kind of things, and I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, you have that story book effect, but as a result of that you get a story that's kinda predictable, and I'm not really a fan of that. However, for me, the story book aspect takes priority once again, though it does loose a few points bvecause of the aforementioned predictability. As for the story itself, it's pretty much RPG story 101: Aurora, the main protagonist, dies and wakes up in a strange fantasy world and sets out on a quest to save it, picking up various companions along the way... I won't reveal any more than that because SPOILER ALERT!!!

Anyway, as for my rating on the story, I'd say... 8.9/10

Gameplay

As for the bare-bones gameplay, it's your standard turn-based RPG fare; go from place to place and helping out the people there, mostly by fighting monsers-err, 'Dark Creatures.' It does differ in a few key ways from the norm, however. One such way is that it isn't exactly turn-based per say, insted opting for the Timeline mechanic... I go in really deep here, so I'm just going to put in this spoiler:

As for how this mechanic works, it basicly puts friend and foe alike move on a bar at the bottom of the screen which has two segments; the Waiting segment and the Casting segment, which the units move along at a predetermined rate. As for what the segments actually do, the Waiting segment is basicly just waiting to attack, simple as that. As for the Casting segment, that is where things start to get more strategic, because, once a unit gets to this segment, the game pauses and you can perform an action, be it attacking, using magic using an item, or switching party members (yeah, you can switch party members in-battle). Once it has selected an action, it will continue down the Casting segment at a rate that changes depending on the attack/spell/item used. However, if an opposing unit is also in the Casting segment and attacks the other Casting unit, the unit on the receiving end will get Interupted, be unable to perform it's action and even get bumped back a bit in the Timeline, making the game much more strategic than just spamming your strongest attacks until someone dies. And there are also enemies that can Counter when Interupted, skills that effect the speed you move down the timeline... So complex. I love it.

Anyway, Ig... Ignic... Igniculus is another feature that makes this game unique. The gimmic with this little firefly is that, while in the overworld, he can do various things like opening faraway chests, holding enemies (which are not actually random encounters BTW) and activating special switches. And he can pass through walls. However, his true strength lies in battle. In battle, he can do one of two things, slowing down the enemies on the Timeline and, as if that wasn't OP enough, he can heal you without you having to use any healing item/skills. Unfortunately, he does run out of juice fairly quickly, but he does automaticly recharge.

Anyway, enough about battles and on to the things that make the overworld different. Firstly, you can fly. Because logic. Secondly, they made it 2D. Thirdly, they put in lots of secrets (and I mean LOTS of secrets)... That's really all I have to say on the overworld.

As for gameplay as a whole, I'm going to give it a 9/10.

Final Results

All-in-all, I'd say that Child of Light is definately a good game,
If you havn't played it yet, that's a real shame.
...Even if it is a bit short for an RPG.
So, my overall BadAss rating would be...

It's Plain Good (8.9/10)

Last edited:
Mario Kart 8. Absolutely gorgeous, terrific gameplay and great musics. The roster is questionable, though, but I am excited for the Animal Crossing DLC, at least.

9.5/10 Would buy it again.

Bully (PS2) Mini Review

Graphics - better than any of Rockstar's earlier PS2 games, the characters and environments are better defined than any previous GTA game.
Music - Solid OST, all songs are composed fro the game, no outside music. Covers a wide range of genres, very suitible for the mood and direction of the game.
Voice Acting - Generally fine, you tend to hear the same lines over and over again, but it was a limited console. The sound quality is fine, but compared to games amde now, kinda of poor.
Controls - Standard, fine.
Gameplay - Great variety in missions, obviously it's a combat game at heart so most of the missions involve fighting at some stage, but there is also stealth, races, mini games, button mashers, puzzle, shooting, etc
Storyline - Rockstar always have a compelling storyline, and I still love Bully after all these years. Decent character progression, storyline is generally cohesive, it's a fun storyline.

Pros - Good comabt, customiziation, fun story and missions
Cons - Tend to hear a lot fo the dialogue repeated from NPCs, NPCs are generally one-dimensional

Nevertheless, 10/10

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) 7.5/10

The Phantom Hourglass plays great but the main problem is, it's not memorable. In my over 15 hours of gameplay, I had fun following the simple story and the enjoyable yet again simple puzzles it had. One thing that holds it back is the lack of variety in game. Sure there were the ice dungeon, fire dungeon, etc but most of the time I'll be spending my time traveling from island to island in the wide sea. It feels very different from Wind Waker's gorgeous world. This one is a very scaled down version of that world and I will not take being a handheld game as an excuse for Link's Awakening in Gameboy Color managed to outstage this game in almost every department. The dungeons are simple but can still be challenging at times. I actually had more fun in some of the dungeons here than in some of the dungeons in Ocarina of Time but not a lot. The characters are average and kind of missing some quirky charm like other Zelda games had.
To sum it up, Phantom Hourglass is still a fantastic adventure game although by Zelda standards it is missing a lot of charm. I will recommend this as a starter game for those wanting to try a Legend of Zelda game along with Ocarina of Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom