• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Everything goes with Clefable. Clefable can be a wincon (MGCM), Cleric, SR setter, etc. Rocks Clefable is great on DFS cores like the DTail RestTalk MAggron + DTail RestTalk Garchomp + SR Clef core I use in my "Passive Aggro" stall team and also cores like SR Clef + ScarfZone + (threatening sweeper), which is your standard DragMag backbone these days. CM Clef is a great wincon for stall or semi stall, and Cleric Clef fits on Bulky Offense and SemiStall.

I have a question, though I don't know if it was asked before. Because last night, I was planning to add Slaking on my line up. However, upon checking it's ability, I got discouraged. What's the real deal with Truant ability? Is it an advantage or disadvantage? What are the benefits of retaining it(if there's such). It is just a weird ability for me and I'm thinking to use Simple Beam against it so it can be replaced. But I just read that Simple Beam cannot replace Truant. What are the alternatives because I'm really into Slaking(because of its high base stats).

I have a question, though I don't know if it was asked before. Because last night, I was planning to add Slaking on my line up. However, upon checking it's ability, I got discouraged. What's the real deal with Truant ability? Is it an advantage or disadvantage? What are the benefits of retaining it(if there's such). It is just a weird ability for me and I'm thinking to use Simple Beam against it so it can be replaced. But I just read that Simple Beam cannot replace Truant. What are the alternatives because I'm really into Slaking(because of its high base stats).

Slaking is bad, there are no truly viable ways to use it (even in doubles you're reduced to ineffective gimmicks like Skill Swap). Just use Diggersby.

Well, I have expressed an interest in the past towards using a Magic Bounce Espeon with Skill Swap and a Slacking on the same (VGC) team, but either way, you do NOT want to keep Truant. It sucks.

EDIT: Greninja'd

Truant's pretty much the second worst ability in the game. There isn't really any benefits to keeping it.

There are a few gimmicks to getting around Truant. While you'd have more success in Doubles with this, the only way I know of to get rid of Truant in Singles is to stick a Cofagrigus on your team and try and give Slaking its Mummy ability - hit the opponent with Cofagrigus, then hit the opponent with Slaking and Truant is gone. Simple... unless the opponent switches. I think Gastro Acid can get rid of it too, as will Skill Swap, but obviously these won't work in Singles.

These are the only methods that I know of and they're all really inconsistent and they usually don't work - the best way to get rid of Truant is to switch out. If you're really set on using Slaking in NU or something, his main asset is having an insanely strong Retaliate but that's about it. You should consider other stuff before you consider Slaking.

Truant's pretty much the second worst ability in the game. There isn't really any benefits to keeping it.

There are a few gimmicks to getting around Truant. While you'd have more success in Doubles with this, the only way I know of to get rid of Truant in Singles is to stick a Cofagrigus on your team and try and give Slaking its Mummy ability - hit the opponent with Cofagrigus, then hit the opponent with Slaking and Truant is gone. Simple... unless the opponent switches. I think Gastro Acid can get rid of it too, as will Skill Swap, but obviously these won't work in Singles.

I think it is not feasible to do that in a competitive scene because I cannot afford to waste one or two move just to do that. But thanks for that.

Now I'm gonna quit dreaming about Slaking to be in my team.

As for my second question, if Heracross' Guts was activated due to status condition, and on the next turn, Mega evo was activated, can I assume that the attack boost due to Guts activation will retain after Mega Evo was activated?

Last edited:

I think it is not feasible to do that in a competitive scene because I cannot afford to waste one or two move just to do that. But thanks for that.

Now I'm gonna quit dreaming about Slaking to be in my team.

As for my second question, if Heracross' Guts was activated due to status condition, and on the next turn, Mega evo was activated, can I assume that the attack boost due to Guts activation will retain after Mega Evo was activated?

No its gone.

Don't run TBolt, that's almost always a waste of a moveslot. The only relevant thing that it hits that isn't hit as hard by one of its STABs or Focus Blast is non-Mega Gyarados
Usually people run one of WoW, DBond, Taunt, Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave, or HP Fire, depending on the team needs

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

^I want to run an offensive Gengar...

If you really want to go offensive, you could choose to run life orb and choose Destiny Bond in your last slot. People are often surprised when a life orb gengar runs Destiny Bond (as destiny bond is more seen on sash gengars) and this will net you 2-for-1 deals occasionally. However, I do think offensive sets are sub-par to the set BlazingGlory mentioned.

You really don't. Not if you're in the mood to win.

I run Hypnosis/Substitute/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast, a set from gen5, why do you think it won't work

Hypnosis has shit for accuracy, you're frail and the meta is ruled by priority, and Focus Blast is hardly super reliable. You need the safety cushion Substitute provides or you just flat out die to any priority or Scarfer, and you need defensive investment so things like MVenu can't break your sub in one hit and force you to kill yourself by Subbing repeatedly. And at that point you want Taunt so they can't Taunt or pHaze you, because your subs and HP are precious, and Will-O-Wisp follows naturally from there. Gengar just hasn't stacked up well against power creep this generation, and the Sash set is completely nonviable because Gar is usually a terrible lead and Rocks are easy to get up.

I run Hypnosis/Substitute/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast, a set from gen5, why do you think it won't work

Hypnosis has shit for accuracy, you're frail and the meta is ruled by priority, and Focus Blast is hardly super reliable. You need the safety cushion Substitute provides or you just flat out die to any priority or Scarfer, and you need defensive investment so things like MVenu can't break your sub in one hit and force you to kill yourself by Subbing repeatedly. And at that point you want Taunt so they can't Taunt or pHaze you, because your subs and HP are precious, and Will-O-Wisp follows naturally from there. Gengar just hasn't stacked up well against power creep this generation, and the Sash set is completely nonviable because Gar is usually a terrible lead and Rocks are easy to get up.

Have to agree with GB on this. Sucker Punch kills Gengar every time and Shadow Sneak kills Gengar every time. Its not like Gengar is completely unusable its just less usable than it was in the past.

Have to agree with GB on this. Sucker Punch kills Gengar every time and Shadow Sneak kills Gengar every time. Its not like Gengar is completely unusable its just less usable than it was in the past.

I wouldn't even go that far - it's stallbreaker set is still great, it's just that Talon and Mew outclass it. It's still pretty easy to slap on a team (usable), it's merely taken a hit to viability (a different thing) because of the things I mentioned in the post you quoted, the fact that spinblocker has lost value as a role because Defog, and the fact that like I said it is somewhat overhsadowed by Mew and Talon who have reliable recovery (and actual bulk in Mew's case and priority on its main moves in Talon's case, allowing it to invest fully in bulk instead of forcing a dump in Spe like the other two) and thus don't have to rely on Sub to prevent themselves from dying instantaneously prior to Will-O-Wisping.

Hello. I am looking to build an ultimate team of legendary Pokémon for Pokémon Y and I need to know which ones out of the ones I have are the best, what moves I should teach them, and which EVs should be trained. I so far have for my team a Mewtwo with Mewtwonite Y that knows Calm Mind, Fire Blast, Shadow Ball, and Psystrike and EVs in Sp. Atk., Speed, and HP. I need to know what do do with the other five.

Out of my legends I have at the moment, there are:
Cobalion
Virizion
Terrakion
Kyurem/Black Kyurem
Zekrom/Black Kyurem
Thundurus
Celebi (although I want him to keep Hold Back for shiny hinting, so he may not be a good idea)
Moltres
Yveltal
Zygarde

I am also playing through Platinum and HeartGold right now, but I don't have any legends in those games yet.
So, which Pokémon should I use, what moves should I teach them and what EVs should I train? Your help would be very much appreciated!

I don't understand why so many people say to train a Mega Heracross in speed. Heracross is a naturally slow Pokemon and gets even slower upon mega evolving. So why would speed be good on such a slow Pokemon, like a Mega Heracross?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom