• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Is there any anime that you dislike?

I strongly dislike most Shonen Jump animes, especially Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece. I feel that they are overrated, low quality animes. But that's just my own opinion.

Also, Stars Intertwined is a lying attrocity.

I agree with you. I find those shows to be way overhyped and get more praise than they deserve. I don't know, I tried giving them a chance and I tried to like them, but their stories just seemed way too shallow and hit a wrong note with me.

I don't really care for Gintama. I really tried to get the series. I watched around 50 episodes of it, so I'd see one of the "serious" arcs that everybody was praising, but it did absolutely nothing for me. It's not that I can't stand episodic anime (I like some Lupin III, for example) but Gintama is just so dull. The humor is rarely, well, humorous, and that's all it relied on like 98% of the episodes I saw.

High School of the Dead is in my dislike category, as well. Generic zombie plot (which we've all seen a billion times, and seeing once was more than enough for me) + over-the-top fanservice. Pretty much a lot of what I think is wrong with media all in one little show. >.>

I actually kind of have to agree with you on Gintama. It does have it's good points since a lot of the arcs can be serious and interesting, but its plot moves really really slowly and it just gets annoying. I liked it but it's hard to wait week to week when all you're getting are random episodic adventures that can vary between charmingly funny to just plain old dumb.

Another anime I didn't like was Maken-Ki, I read the manga for it so I figured I can give the anime a try, but the anime just removes what little interesting plot the manga had in favor of mindless fanservice, which is just annoying really.

Mushi-Uta.
The premise is AMAZING!! Parasitic insects as a super power, best idea ever. But then they go and ruin it. The anime focuses way to much on three character's and their love triangle. After the first four episodes, the interesting mushi and the side characters just get completely ignored. The main male character is absolutely pure evil, probably my least favorite character ever. But the absolute worse part of this anime is how they treat the insects. The insects are CONSTANTLY getting murdered, along with their human hosts. Then in the end they go and demonify the bugs, and make them the "ultimate enemies" ;_; It was terrible..... I cried.

Log Horizon. I've only given it three episodes, but I don't like how Shiroe explains every move & strategy and how Akatsuki exalts him. Maybe there is a backstory I am completely missing.

DNA2 - It is, in fact, the only Anime to this day that I regret watching and really wish I could forget. I can't even remember why I started watching it and it's been years since I've seen it, but I ended up watching the whole, 12-some-odd episodes it had. And my goodness was it STUPID! This Anime is probably the reason for my hatred of fanservice. Honestly, a dude who vomits upon arousal who is going to overpopulate the world with children because of his "MegaPlayboy" powers (which prevents the vomiting) if this chick from the future doesn't do something about it? Who in the world thought that show was a good idea? It isn't clever. It isn't funny. It isn't creative. It's just stupid. The main character seems to be a loser, anyway, due to his condition. So why are all the girls in love with him? Since watching it, I've learned the main character was voiced by Liam O'Brian, which seriously disturbs me, and I knew his best friend was played by Misty's voice actress while watching it, and it's the only non-negative thing in the show.

Panty and Stocking - To be honest, I only watched 3:42 of one episode. I just couldn't stand it. And it wasn't even the show itself. It was the language! I swear, I can watch a show like the Boondocks uncensored and be completely fine, but Panty and Stocking have to be the most vile, dirty-mouthed characters I've ever heard. Honestly, 3 minutes of the show? And nothing even happened in it! They were literally talking to each other on the couch and it seemed like every other word was a swear, coming from characters that are supposed to have been angels. Sorry, I have no interest in such a show.

Bakugan (after New Vestroia) - To be honest, I hardly even liked New Vestroia. The only thing that kept me watching it was Sailor Elfin and the rare appearances of the original female Brawlers/DanXRuno scenes. The first season was great. Call it a Yu-Gi-Oh rip-off if you want, but I enjoyed it. It had a good mix of seriousness and humor and its own unique plot with great characters.

Then they bring the show back, make a time skip, and scrap all the females. Just why? Seriously, who came up with the genius idea to reduce the females to background characters and only proceed in the show with the guys? Bakugan was one of the few shows I've watched with good, strong, likable, female characters and they have the audacity to replace them with annoying characters and even write them out as battlers later on. This is ignoring the fact that Bakugan as a whole seemed to deny their female fanbase's existence, but that's another story. When the chicks were some of my favorite characters, it was a quick turn-off from the series knowing that I'd hardly get to see them. And it really hindered their characters. Runo was turned from a stubborn badass to a whiny damsel because she couldn't be with Dan. And why is that? Oh yeah, because the writers thought that was a good idea to separate them in the first place! Julie was just there to support and comfort Runo until they decided to: one; write out Runo for an entire series with no explanation of where she was or how she came back in the last series, and two; give her (Julie) every background job possible to keep her from brawling. I, to this day, cannot fathom why anyone thought they should ruin the girls' characters by writing them out, but it was a terrible mistake that ruined the show. The chemistry between characters was just no longer there. The new characters just didn't feel like they were a part of the group.

Then there was Gundalian Invaders and Mechtanimum Surge. They might as well have renamed the show "Dan and Drago" at that point, since it seemed like everyone else and any sort of plot was irrelevant. It was now about how stupidly OP they could make Drago. The characters from New Vestroia were replaced, but the three original guys were, shocker, still there. One original female, Juile, was seen once in a blue moon in GI and more often in MS...as a news reporter...why? Runo disappeared in GI and reappeared in MS with little to nothing on her and Dan's complex relationship, which is really all I wanted in the show at that point. Dan himself turned into an over-conceited, selfish, cocky, asshole. I don't even know what the plots were of either of those series. I would have the show on in my room, but I couldn't tell you a damn thing about what happened or who the new characters (for the fourth time) were except that it had the worst damn ending I've ever seen.

To add to that, the show in itself was completely changed. Battles were different. The format was changed. G-Powers were scrapped. The canon of the Bakugan Universe kept getting screwed with. It's like it wasn't even Bakugan anymore. Just some weird fuse between Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh, and NOT in a good way. I now tend to only acknowledge the original Bakugan series.

There are Anime that I've found stupid and pointless, with no plot whatsoever, that I liked just for the humor, like Bludgeoning Angel: Dokuro-Chan (what I consider one of the most absurd Anime), Space Dandy, or Kill Me Baby (ridiculous and plotless, but funny). Even Lucky Star was a great Anime to me and it was about absolutely nothing. I can watch shows like those because I find them funny, if nothing else.

Because I don't watch anime too much, there aren't really that many anime series I dislike, however there are many particular genres of anime I dislike. Two genres that I have gotten annoyed by is moe and slice-of-life comedy anime, not because I'm not into comedy in anime (which can be pretty hilarious), but because I really am not interested in seeing more "real world" situations, specifically high-school girls, which I am obviously not interested in seeing a girl falling in love with a boy, especially when in a lot of the moe series I have seen, the girl is nothing more than a cardboard cutout with a vapid copy-paste personality.

These kinds of anime also contain an abundance of what has become a pet-peeve of mine in anime: Fan-service, which to me is nothing more than an excuse to not write a story and instead appeal to adult males with visual over actual substance. One such example is Fubuki: Arcade Gamer, a short OVA series which markets itself as being a girl with super gaming abilities, but the video game plots take a back seat to showing the main characters underwear, and becoming focused on panty-shots over anything else, and it becomes grating quickly.

Sword Art Online, Ultimate Girls, Gundam Seed and Destiny, Weiss Kreuz, Pokemon: Original First Season, Angel's Egg, and Garzey's Wings, especially Ultimate Girls for being the worst piece of fanservice anime and worst, shameful parody of Ultraman ever.

Last edited:
One Piece for me at the moment, after all the hype it gets I watched about 5 episodes and got insanely bored... it just isn't my think which is probably why I don't like it.

There is another anime I don't like but I wish to keep my head as I have already said I don't like 1 major anime...

There is only one, from what I have seen so far. I have a dislike for SAO, but there is some good in it, a lot of potential. It was just a disappointment, but I hear the author improved by GGO.

No, the one anime I dislike the most of Rosario Vampire. It is the anime equivalent to the "The Last Airbender" movie. The studio took the source of one of my first manga, and messed with it. The manga is beautiful. Just fantastic. I love every bit of it.
The anime is alright in basic aspects. It looks beautiful. Music is nice. I just love the music, opening and ending songs are just brilliant. Voice actors are great, I love them for bringing Tsukune to life and the lovely (Inner and Outer)Moka, Kurumu, Mizore, Ruby, Yukari, and basically everyone to life.

Now, why would I say I dislike the anime?
This anime took everything that made Rosario Vampire a great manga and blended it with fan service turned up to, not by 11, but by 9000. Oh, and don't forget about just dissolving the plot as it went on. For an anime based on a great manga, it strayed away form the plot that made it good, and only left the series with fan service. Honestly, this series had MORE FANSERVICE than Kill La Kill. It just took my favorite series, put pretty colors on it, and burnt it page by page in front of my very eyes. So, I despise it with every bit of my soul.
Such a great series wasted. It saddens me, especially when it ended just a few months ago. I just wish that sometime in the future, Toei would give it the justice, the justice this manga deserves.

Bakugan (after New Vestroia) - To be honest, I hardly even liked New Vestroia. The only thing that kept me watching it was Sailor Elfin and the rare appearances of the original female Brawlers/DanXRuno scenes. The first season was great. Call it a Yu-Gi-Oh rip-off if you want, but I enjoyed it. It had a good mix of seriousness and humor and its own unique plot with great characters.
Aw, I liked New Vestroia. It was my favorite series of them, the first comes next. I tried watching Mechtanium Surge and Gundalian Invaders but I felt like it changed the core of what it was and it was incredibly hard to follow. I used to love Bakugan a lot and still do somewhat, I'm thinking about rewatching New Vestroia. Baron Leltoy was always a character I thought was great and I felt like the humor and atmosphere fit he show well.
Runo was turned from a stubborn badass to a whiny damsel because she couldn't be with Dan. And why is that? Oh yeah, because the writers thought that was a good idea to separate them in the first place! Julie was just there to support and comfort Runo until they decided to: one; write out Runo for an entire series with no explanation of where she was or how she came back in the last series, and two; give her (Julie) every background job possible to keep her from brawling. I, to this day, cannot fathom why anyone thought they should ruin the girls' characters by writing them out, but it was a terrible mistake that ruined the show. The chemistry between characters was just no longer there. The new characters just didn't feel like they were a part of the group.
Yeah, the female characters really went down hill a bit. I suppose it makes sense, they weren't as obsessed with brawling as some of the males and probably just wanted to live normal lives. But I feel like they could have done better than just having Mira Clay be the only active chick on the show, though her character development I remember enjoying.

Aw, I liked New Vestroia. It was my favorite series of them, the first comes next. I tried watching Mechtanium Surge and Gundalian Invaders but I felt like it changed the core of what it was and it was incredibly hard to follow. I used to love Bakugan a lot and still do somewhat, I'm thinking about rewatching New Vestroia. Baron Leltoy was always a character I thought was great and I felt like the humor and atmosphere fit he show well.

Well, like I said, it was really after New Vestroia where I started to dislike the show and I agree that MS and GI were incredibly hard to follow. I still can barely remember a thing about either series. I just think New Vestroia would have been so much better if they didn't just cut the girls out! I enjoyed it a bit in the beginning, but the entire series just felt off compared to what they built up in the first series.

Yeah, the female characters really went down hill a bit. I suppose it makes sense, they weren't as obsessed with brawling as some of the males and probably just wanted to live normal lives. But I feel like they could have done better than just having Mira Clay be the only active chick on the show, though her character development I remember enjoying.

But I just feel that that isn't the case, in my opinion. The girls were just as much into brawling as the guys more. Hell, Julie and Runo were certainly into brawling more than Marucho. I don't think they wanted to live normal lives, I think they were forced to by the unfortunate turn of the writing. They were just as excited to see their old Bakugan again and brawl when Drago came back in the first episode. The show did well having and even number of active male and female protagonists in the first series, which Shounen shows don't normally do (even though Bakugan may not be considered Shounen) which is one of the things I really liked about it and the fact that they had a good number of other female characters into brawling, as well. There were almost no super girly eye-candy characters; all were strong, dependent, tomboyish females that could take care of themselves (except Alice, which was a plot point, and even she was a good character). Scrapping them all and turning them into your typical background female characters or damsels while all of the males were just conveniently allowed to keep brawling and play the heroes just really brought the show way down for me and seemed to completely erase what the first series showed us.

And it's not that I'm "pro-female in Anime" or stuff like that, as I can tell you, I certainly prefer almost every male character in Naruto and One Piece over any of the females. It's just that I found it to be a good thing that they seemed to be making the show appealing to both genders and then just decided to scrap all that for the traditional "all male heroes" thing. Just my opinion.

Hetalia - It's racist, offensive, and in bad taste. I hate how they portray all the European countries as Nordic-looking. Come on, ethnic Italian men cannot have red hair. Only Celts and British people can.

I really do not like Free and I feel like I'm the only person who does. Its nothing more than an anime about a bunch of guys who form a swim club which sounds boring right from the start. I could not get into it at all, though all my friends love it. I feel like it relies too much on all the fanservice and I'm not that crazy about how yaoi heavy it feels. I'm actually not that crazy about those slice of life/high school/sport animes. These include anything from Free, Ouran Host Club, or Kuro No Basuke.

Last edited:
The anime adaption of Berserk leaves a lot to be desired.

One Piece is getting on my nerves. I do enjoy the characters but I'm about 80 episodes in at this point and the story always feels like it's moving at a snail's pace.

Last edited:
Hamatora. I like the concept of special people with superhuman powers and dystopia/anarchism themes, but it was all just mashed up with no proper explanation. They added blood and gore and sexual themes, but it's not even mature in terms of plot progress. Adult anime done wrong, I guess.

Not really dislike, but just highly uninterested: Yu-Gi-Oh ZeXal and Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V. I don't know what it is about them, but I just don't think I'll ever want to watch them.

This isn't exactly a dislike either, but I've been trying to watch Gurren Lagann, but it's kind of boring. :/

Hetalia counts as a dislike, though! I can't believe I actually liked this show at one point. I definitely wasn't a weeaboo or anything, but I really can't believe I liked that show...

Last edited:
There are only a few that I actually dislike.

1. Voices of a Distant Star - The most boring anime i have ever seen. The only talking that ever goes on is the one whinny girls inner monologue while she's stuck in space. Also I had be told by quite a few people that the animation was incredible but, I thought it was mediocre at best.

2. Attack on Titan - ALL of my co workers talked this show up to me and one even told me it was funny. There is nothing funny about it. Its just obscenely violent and graphic. Aslo its hard to explain but I thought the art in the anime was to different from the manga.

3. Black Butler - Dislike everything about it. The story, the characters, the voice actors (English and Japanese), and the fact that it is so popular. I personally just don't understand why.

Back
Top Bottom