• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY046: The Clumsy Pukurin VS the Rampaging Bohmander!!

I've only seen screenshots, but it looks like this episode addresses the fact that Fairy types are immune to Dragon type attacks, seeing how Wigglytuff endured an attack (which I assume is Dragon Breath), yet showed no damage or ill effects whatsoever. And it's kinda nice change of pace for one of Nurse Joy's Pokemon not being picture perfect, showing that any Pokemon can have some problems or quirks, including ones in professional fields like nursing. I also must admit that the little storybook that Bonnie read was kinda cute, and seemed to encourage Wigglytuff to overcome its clumsiness. And leave it to Pikachu's and Ash's big hearts to give Wigglytuff another reason to motivate itself even more. And go figure that TRio would be the cause of the problem, but what the heck was that gizmo they put on Salamence? I know it seemed to confuse it and such, but what was it, exactly?

Overall, filler-ish episode, but seeing how it addressed the Dragon VS Fairy situation (at least I assume that's the case), and showing that even professional-grade Pokemon are not immune to personal quirks or problems was a nice change of pace. Not a bad episode, for a filler.

*Sigh* Team Rocket really need to employ more stringent product testing

Wigglytuff kicks butt!

What a cool final shot -
DP365.jpg

Okay episode I guess.

I'm not even sure what the beginning of this episode was all about. WTF was Jessie trying to do? Play dead so the Salamence wouldn't kill her? Please, as if the most awesome Pokemon ever would be fooled by that.

Anyway, then we get to this Wigglytuff who must have the ability klutz. What is it with this show having characters who fall on the ground every flippin' 5 seconds. I just don't find that to be very funny. And Clemont gets ignored once again. At least until TR show up and he gets to use his Aipom Arm for them. Speaking of which, I was surprised to see TR actually take Meowth and Pumpkaboo to a Pokemon Center. And I'll give Wigglyklutz some points for headbutting Meowth into the wall.

The scene of Pikachu trying to cheer Wigglytuff up was cute. And I really liked the Wigglytuff book scene, except for Wigglytuff crying at the end. That was annoying. I don't even know what the invention Clemont made was all about. I guess it was to encourage Wigglytuff. Well, thank goodness it didn't blow up on Bonnie's head.

Seriously TR? You kidnap Pikachu and Wigglytuff, and then reveal yourselves 2 seconds later? Why the hell not drive away?! And what the hell, Meowth drives? That was...unexpected. Well, glad to see Salamence thrash TR, which they deserve since it was their fault he was in that state anyway.

I figured they'd show Fairy-type's immunity to dragon by having some dragon move not effect Wigglytuff, so yay. Oh and I loved when Bonnie went over to hug Salamence. Overall, ok episode. Aside from Wigglytuff being annoying in the beginning and TR, it was okay. 7/10.

I was expecting this one to be meh but was pleasantly surprised. Team Rocket is still enjoyable when they have a bigger part than just attacking out of nowhere and blasting off a couple minutes later. I liked how they didn't throw in a same 'ol Rocket battle, and that Salamence blasted them off instead of Pikachu doing it just because.

That storybook scene was great, I like it when they do scenes with alternate art styles.

Just what was Clemont's invention supposed to do? That was one of his weirdest yet.

Those CG ambulances looked really out of place.

It was more like stupid and incapable, rather than clumsy.

Edit: I just rewatched the episode and I hated the Wigglytuff even more. The fan base can be mostly teenagers but for someone like me whose watching since the first gen and in his/her mid 20s, this isn't something adorable. At least I don't find this kinda things adorable any more. If you're that clumsy on your job and don't know when to quit, you'll have plenty time to feel sorry for your fired ... .

Last edited:
I think I'll need a bit of time to overcome the cuteness overload from that episode.

I like how Ash cutting off Clemont is becoming a thing - helps mix up the scenes involving Clemont, so you know they aren't always going to end with a big explosion. In this case it also shows some quick thinking, while Clemont was trying to figure out how to move something on wheels, Ash was just getting on with getting Teddiursa treated.

Would have been nice if there was some way of giving Serena a bit of involvement in the episode - Bonnie had a nice role in the episode, Clemont had a bit of screentime, if only to do his usual thing; but Serena was nearly invisible. Obviously the change in the opener makes me have to assume something is coming up, but it would be nice for either one character to take the lead, or for all four to have a role, rather than all but one of the main characters.

But plot isn't the reason for me liking this episode. That's all Wigglytuff.

I simply adore this episode, Wigglytuff impressed me not just because its cute, but also it showed personality that I can't ever forget.

The story book scene is kinda stupid at first but then after the whole episode I feel taht it fit perfectly into this episode that I can't even complain.

The only problem of this episode is still, as always, Team Rocket..... once again hi-jacking an awesome episode.

9/10!

I simply adore this episode, Wigglytuff impressed me not just because its cute, but also it showed personality that I can't ever forget.

The story book scene is kinda stupid at first but then after the whole episode I feel taht it fit perfectly into this episode that I can't even complain.

The only problem of this episode is still, as always, Team Rocket..... once again hi-jacking an awesome episode.

9/10!

Is hating TR for every single appearance a trend now?!?!

This was one of the episodes in which TR caused the problem! And without the rampaging Salamance, Pukurin wouldn't have had the development. This is one of the better TR schemes in XY (kinda like the good AG DP times where they got more than 3 minutes of screentime).

9/10!

This was one of the episodes in which TR caused the problem! And without the rampaging Salamance, Pukurin wouldn't have had the development. This is one of the better TR schemes in XY (kinda like the good AG DP times where they got more than 3 minutes of screentime).

Yeah, I didn't really see anything complaint-worthy about TR in this ep.

Yeah, I didn't really see anything complaint-worthy about TR in this ep.

There is thousands of other ways than Team Rocket trying to capture Salamence with a silly machine that can make it go on rampage. And even if its one of the most relevant way to justify the rampage instead of other random reasons, the capturing Pikachu and Wigglytuff part is, in my opinion, nothing short of an unnecessary hi-jacking of screen time. Besides,they made such a mess with the Salamence rampaging. From what I remember of them, although they would like to capture Pikachu, they don't seem to be so damn outright evil to the standard that they left a rampaging Pokemon in town unattended (I know there are episodeS that they did that, but ita always under a few conditions:
1. They are blasted away and did not appear until the end of the episode or do not appear later at all.
2. They are hiding away from the rampaging Pokemon that they can hardly stay safe themselves. )
And they decided to capture the Wigglytuff from the one Pokemon Centre that saved Meowth and Pumpkaboo? Seriously? Totally not the TR I remembered.

I know some people always wished TR being more evil and yes,this time they learned to seize opportunities. But I prefer them being evil but with a bottom line. One that holds gratitude and ofcourse, what they have been over generations, loves Pokemon.

Besides, why won't TR simply capture Salamence with a Pokeball?

Last edited:
I've always assumed that Team Rocket are simply unable to capture Pokemon in the conventional way because their Pokemon are low-level - they always lose battles, so the Pokemon never gain any XP (sorry if this is off-topic)

I don't understand why Jessie even did what she did. The Salamence didn't show any inclination that it was going to attack her or her Pumpkaboo. Heck, she even could have befriended it if she tried.

I don't understand why Jessie even did what she did. The Salamence didn't show any inclination that it was going to attack her or her Pumpkaboo. Heck, she even could have befriended it if she tried.

Given that big Pokémon with sharp claws and teeth like Salamence tends to be territorial, and that Team Rocket always had bad luck when it comes to these big-type Pokémon, I'm not surprised that Jessie would act like that. Team Rocket has a history with bad encounters, such as Gyarados, Primeape, and that Shiny Metagross.

Given that big Pokémon with sharp claws and teeth like Salamence tends to be territorial, and that Team Rocket always had bad luck when it comes to these big-type Pokémon, I'm not surprised that Jessie would act like that. Team Rocket has a history with bad encounters, such as Gyarados, Primeape, and that Shiny Metagross.

Gyarados and Primeape are naturally aggressive. And that shiny Metagross was a Pokemon they already angered.

The Salamence literally mildly looked at her, and didn't show any intention to attack, battle etc. But I see your point though.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom