• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I'm so glad you people don't actually work at Game Freak. ._.

tumblr_ndqyp4orRU1r36bj2o4_75sq.gif
Hey! I actually put a lot of thought into that.
tumblr_n9nipzOPzR1r36bj2o1_r1_75sq.gif

Anyway, entertaining the idea, Huge Power doesn't double the base stat, it doubles the actual stat. Uninvested with a neutral that's the equivalent of 392 Attack, which is the exact same as a base 129 Attack with 252 EVs and a boosting nature. Max investment that's the equivalent of 568 Attack which is base 209 Attack with 252 EVs and a boosting nature.

So really your stat spread is actually:

85 HP / 129 Atk (+79) / 95 Def / 150 Sp.Atk (+30) / 135 Sp.Def (+20) / 100 Speed (+20) = +149 BST

or with max investment:

85 HP / 209 Atk (+159) / 95 Def / 150 Sp.Atk (+30) / 135 Sp.Def (+20) / 100 Speed (+20) = +229 BST

But... yeah... I'm not a competitive player so I've no idea if that's good or not... Is it?
tumblr_ndqyp4orRU1r36bj2o9_75sq.gif

Also, while MTogekiss might not be my best work, I still stand proudly by my hopes for Mega Butterfree. :D

I'm imagining a Mega Swellow with all 100 points into its attack and Gale Wings.

I agree with Zeb Yadon about M-Togekiss. Flying hasn't been combined with Fairy yet and an ability other than serene grace would be good. The metagame does not want a paraflinch mega. With 85/95/115 defences in its base form, the obvious route is to bulk it up, although I'm getting a bit tired of bulky fairies.

Also, I kind of like the idea of a huge power Togekiss, but some of the suggestions have been a bit OP. I'd propose a stat spread of 85/65(+15)/125(+30)/145(+25)/129(+14)/96(+16). That keeps the speed below that essential 100 speed tier and gives poor Hydreigon a chance. 65+huge power attack and 145 sp attack are pretty even. Without an item it won't be destroying the metagame like some megas are, but it makes it more unpredictable. 125/129 defenses are maybe a bit higher than I would like, but it should be offset a bit by 5 weakness, including SR.

Huge power isn't really ideal considering vanilla Togekiss has 545 BST already. A mega tosses on another 100 and then huge power increases it by 50+. But this 'jack of all trades master of none' approach should work.

Disclaimer: the last time I battled competitively I was able to faint one of my opponent's Pokemon. All I know about competitive is from what I've picked up about the metagame from various online communities.

So the official site updated with Mega Glalie + Steelix info. I found the flavour text about Glalie interesting:

The excessive energy from its Mega Evolution gushes out of its mouth, blasting away and destroying its jaw. It is no longer able to close its mouth, and the freezing air it emits becomes far stronger. It tosses foes into its gaping mouth, expelling a burst of chilled air to freeze them instantly.

So its jaw is destroyed in the process and it can't close it.

Edit: Also about the Huge Power topic: it's really an ability that shouldn't be slapped on anything willy-nilly. Low BST Pokemon can get away with it, but high BST Pokemon need to stay away from it.

So the official site updated with Mega Glalie + Steelix info. I found the flavour text about Glalie interesting:

The excessive energy from its Mega Evolution gushes out of its mouth, blasting away and destroying its jaw. It is no longer able to close its mouth, and the freezing air it emits becomes far stronger. It tosses foes into its gaping mouth, expelling a burst of chilled air to freeze them instantly.

Edit: Also about the Huge Power topic: it's really an ability that shouldn't be slapped on anything willy-nilly. Low BST Pokemon can get away with it, but high BST Pokemon need to stay away from it.

Awh, I was going to post that. Haha. Anyway, weird how it supposedly can't close its jaw...yet can still utilize biting moves. #GameAndStorySegregation

So when Mega Glalie reverts back to Glalie, its lower jaw is regenerated? OK...

At least we know why it didn't get Strong Jaw.

Awh, I was going to post that. Haha. Anyway, weird how it supposedly can't close its jaw...yet can still utilize biting moves. #GameAndStorySegregation

Perhaps it has a special animation for Fang moves. Even if it doesn't, it'll be hilarious to use Ice Fang.

Perhaps it has a special animation for Fang moves. Even if it doesn't, it'll be hilarious to use Ice Fang.

Nah, it knows Ice Fang in the demo and it just throws its body forward when it uses it - the jaw doesn't move. The lower jaw does wobble a bit during its idle animation, it reminds me of cartoon skulls with the chattering lower jaw... though Mega Glalie obviously looks more demonic ice monster than cartoon skull.

I just finished posting about it in another thread: That. Is. Horrifying. Another addition to weird/creepy Pokédex entries.
tumblr_n6kt4n9IyP1r36bj2o9_75sq.gif

Which Mega Evolution reveals if they were to happen would you not believe to be true and think them to be just an April 1st jokes from Gamefreak?

Which Mega Evolution reveals if they were to happen would you not believe to be true and think them to be just an April 1st jokes from Gamefreak?

Mega Beedrill. Nobody thought Game Freak would ever give Mega Evolutions to the early route Bug types.

Mega Beedrill. Nobody thought Game Freak would ever give Mega Evolutions to the early route Bug types.
Exactly. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Especially since I'm one of the few Beedrill fans on the planet.

With such a drastic alteration to Glalie's physiology, I'm starting to think MGlalie should've been a regular evolution instead of a mega.

Mega Metagross and Beedrill are nice, but I'll stick with Mega Gengar.

Exactly. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Especially since I'm one of the few Beedrill fans on the planet.

I have to say if there is one more Mega Evolution I'll never believe if it happens is Golurk. From both a design stand point and stat wise, Golurk would really benefit from a Mega Evolution. It could be Ghost/Steel with a Ground type version of Normalize called Pulverize.

HP 89 / Attack 164 (+ 40) / Defense 110 (+30) / Special Attack 45 / Special Defense 110 (+ 30) / Speed 55

I think Golurk is quite a likely candidate for a Mega to be honest.

At this point no Pokemon would really surprise me (thank Slowbro, Lopunny, Audino, Beedrill and Pidgeot). Except maybe the unique ones like Ditto, Unown and the like.

Forgot to post this but here it is: I'm so glad M-Gallade stats don't mirror M-Gardevoir stats, those M-Gallade stats look so sexy.

Now, they could have given him a better ability, but those stats make me very excited to use it.

Yep, they did a good job with its stats. Honestly if they had given it a better ability it might have been too much.

Overall they did a good job with all the stats. I'm a bit disappointed that Pidgeot didn't have +10 more speed to beat base 130s, Altaria could have probably used more bulk (100/100 atk + sp.atk rather than 110/110, with those remaining going into def + sp.def), and Camerupt has a bit of a wasted Attack boost, since it will mostly be using special attacks (though Rock Slide for doubles I guess). There's not really any "wasted" stats with these. Some of the XY Megas (Garde, Pinsir, Aero, Gyara, Ampharos, Banette) had stat points given in stats they really didn't need them in and wouldn't ever use. But the ORAS bunch seem to be a lot more... refined in that regard. They don't really waste anything which is good to see. Hopefully it's a sign for anymore to come.

Edit: Ok, I just remembered Mega Sharpedo. Its stats are kind of a letdown, but that's really the only one I can think of.

Last edited:
Yep, they did a good job with its stats. Honestly if they had given it a better ability it might have been too much.

Overall they did a good job with all the stats. I'm a bit disappointed that Pidgeot didn't have +10 more speed to beat base 130s, Altaria could have probably used more bulk (100/100 atk + sp.atk rather than 110/110, with those remaining going into def + sp.def), and Camerupt has a bit of a wasted Attack boost, since it will mostly be using special attacks (though Rock Slide for doubles I guess). There's not really any "wasted" stats with these. Some of the XY Megas (Garde, Pinsir, Aero, Gyara, Ampharos, Banette) had stat points given in stats they really didn't need them in and wouldn't ever use. But the ORAS bunch seem to be a lot more... refined in that regard. They don't really waste anything which is good to see. Hopefully it's a sign for anymore to come.

Edit: Ok, I just remembered Mega Sharpedo. Its stats are kind of a letdown, but that's really the only one I can think of.

I think they made M-Glalie a bit tame, personally. 100 speed isn't what it once was, especially since Glalie can't hold choice scarf. 80/80/80 defense on top of the ice type is kinda squishy and 120 attack stats just aren't that good with no life orb/choice items. I guess Refridgerate's gives things a bit of punch, but Glalie wasn't lacking ice moves to begin with. Certainly we won't be seeing it in OU.

I think they made M-Glalie a bit tame, personally. 100 speed isn't what it once was, especially since Glalie can't hold choice scarf. 80/80/80 defense on top of the ice type is kinda squishy and 120 attack stats just aren't that good with no life orb/choice items. I guess Refridgerate's gives things a bit of punch, but Glalie wasn't lacking ice moves to begin with. Certainly we won't be seeing it in OU.

They did the best for Glalie with what they had to work with imo, which wasn't much tbh. They didn't touch its defences, which is for the best as it would be a waste. 100 Speed isn't amazing, but it hits harder than Life Orb Mamoswine while being that bit faster, so another offensive Ice-type with decent Speed is fine with me, especially for lower tiers. Refrigerate seems kinda pointless, but it didn't get any powerful physical Ice move (I think the best was Ice Fang?), and Return > Icicle Crash because Icicle Crash can and will miss when you need it to hit plus it has a beautiful 80 more base power after STAB and Refrigerate than Icicle Crash (~200 with perfect accuracy > 120 with a chance to miss). Plus it gets Explosion and Double-Edge, both of which are really strong. Added with Earthquake and newly gained Freeze-Dry and it can pretty much hit everything with its moves now. As an offensive Ice-type it can also set Spikes without worrying about most Defog users coming in to remove them.

I think the +40 Atk/Sp.Atk +20 Speed was realistically the best Glalie could have hoped for and I think they did the best job they could. The 120 Sp.Atk isn't a waste either, as it can now blast bulky Waters with Freeze-Dry. Maybe they could have given +40 Atk, +30 Sp.Atk and +30 Speed, but as a Glalie fan I'm super happy with what I got because it's at least going to be usable now.

It definitely won't be seeing much use in OU, but in the other tiers it'll probably be pretty cool (puns...).

(Sorry kinda long post.)

Back
Top Bottom