• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I remembered when I first made my Mega Evolution Candidates series, I proposed that Roserade should have a tuxedo-like setup, shades to cover its eyes and a head rose that is shaped like the Battle Chatelaine's hats. Tinted Lens would be the ability of choice to overcome the number of types that resist Grass and Poison.

No so sure about Breloom, though.

Thanks for reading.

Mega Roserade with Flower Veil (immune to stat drops and status because it's a Grass-type) or alternatively Aroma Veil (immune to Taunt, Encore - they should update this ability to make you immune to confusion too).

Mega Breloom could have Defiant, Guts, Moxie, No Guard. Or it could keep Technician, like Scizor did. It's a good ability.

I'd really like to see a Mega with Defiant or Competitive to be honest. With the amount of use Intimidate sees (plus Defog in 6vs6 singles), they are both abilities with great potential.

I think Golurk is quite a likely candidate for a Mega to be honest.

At this point no Pokemon would really surprise me (thank Slowbro, Lopunny, Audino, Beedrill and Pidgeot). Except maybe the unique ones like Ditto, Unown and the like.
Mega golurk with huge power, defense and speed get a great boost and a slight attack boost. That or huge power, and go for a full on glass cannon approach by leaving its defences alone. As for ditto, hell, a mega with slight boosts everywhere plus imposter would be crazy enough to work.
Somehow I'm totally expecting a mega Tropius for ORAS...
I've said it before, thick fat and a raise in defence. Tropius as a tank works so well.

As for gen 5 megas, chandelure, golurk, Cofagrigus(or whatever it is, still can't get its name down), darmanitan, and the,joltik evo would be the best guesses for canidates. And yes I forgot the name of the best bug ever.

I was never fan of Altaria and I hate it now even more than before, with that disgusting mega look.

My favourite so far is Sharpedo, design-wise. Depending on stat distribution, Salamence probably will be my 1st choice as the ORAS mega.

I don't get it. What's wrong with it looking feminine?

Because it can be male too and it looks strange. Male Roselia is even worse, same problem as female Machamp pretty much, just in reverse.

Because it can be male too and it looks strange. Male Roselia is even worse, same problem as female Machamp pretty much, just in reverse.

So? Just because something is male doesn't mean it has to look masculine, same goes for something female - doesn't have to look feminine

Just because you think it looks strange, doesn't mean it needs to be changed

It could use a Mega though

Just like Flygon (I still hope that will be one of the surprise Megas, though considering it's Aarune's partner Pokémon and he doesn't seem to have a Mega Stone... Not that it rules it out either...)

Aside from that Gen IV and V could probably use a few more Megas, as Gen IV has only 5 and Gen V only one (maybe Carnivine or Cherrim for Gen IV? And Chandelure, Cofagrigus or Sigilyph for Gen V? there's plenty of options...)

Well to be fair, Male Mega Lopunny would be... very difficult to swallow...
tumblr_ndqyp4orRU1r36bj2o2_75sq.gif

That being said, we've yet to receive Gender divergent Mega's. Even Latias and Latios (similar in a sense to the two Nidoran lines) have basically identical Mega's. So while I don't see Roserade getting this type of gender divergent Mega Evolution, I could see Hippowdon, Unfezant, Jellicent, Pyroar or Meowstic getting one that is unique for both genders.

They aren't human. The concept of human masculinity/femininity doesn't really apply. I mean, can you readily tell if a squirrel is male or female without checking its...parts?

there isn't anything inherently masculine about muscle either despite what Hollywood would have you believe

So? Just because something is male doesn't mean it has to look masculine, same goes for something female - doesn't have to look feminine

Just because you think it looks strange, doesn't mean it needs to be changed

So we can't start discussing about female Mr. Mime? Such a shame..

OT: I would like a Mega Roserade, like someone mentioned earlier, it pretty much saved Roselia's ass from being a forgotten Pokemon.

Seems kinda bizarre to me that someone who's a Lopunny fan is saying that another Pokemon looks too feminine that it looks strange as a male.

I have a male Roserade nicknamed Loras after Loras Tyrell from ASOIAF/Game of Thrones. Doesn't bother me one bit :p

Unless I'm crazy, rabbits look quite gender-neutral. Besides the genitals, there isn't much sex dimorphism, Lopunny can quite well pass as both male and female in my opinion.
Roselia looks clearly female though, the face especially, not to mention the theme of "rose pokemon" by itself is girlish.

Unless I'm crazy, rabbits look quite gender-neutral. Besides the genitals, there isn't much sex dimorphism, Lopunny can quite well pass as both male and female in my opinion.

Yeah, real rabbits look gender neutral, but we aren't talking about real rabbits, we're talking about one that looks like this

250px-428Lopunny.png
150px-428Lopunny-Mega.png

Should note I don't have a problem with Lopunny looking feminine, I just think it looks far more feminine than Roserade does.

not to mention the theme of "rose pokemon" by itself is girlish.

And Lopunny's theme isn't girlish? I think Lopunny's theme is far more girlish than a rose. Roserade has a cape and a mask, so it can draw from masquerade balls or even a superhero at a push, so it isn't just a rose. I don't consider that significantly "girlish", especially when compared to a playboy bunny with a womanly-figure, pigtails (Mega Lopunny even has scrunchies tying its hair up), and holding its arms in a stereotypical Japanese girl pose.

I'm really looking foward to using M-Gallade, M-Lopunny and M-Altaria. This is precisely the types of megas that i like, megas that actualy improve upon the regular forms unlike (in my opinion) megas like M-Scizor, M-Chomp, M-Tyranitar, M-Gyarados and M-Alakazam.

I already have a set for M-Gallade and M-Lopunny, but i'm having a hard time coming up with one for M-Altaria.

Last edited:
Well Mega Scizor improves upon regular Scizor because it's far bulkier and slightly faster. Mega Gyara also has the type change strategy as well as Mold Breaker helping it sweep, so I wouldn't say they don't improve them.

The ones I'm looking forward to using are: Camerupt, Altaria, Lopunny, Sceptile, Glalie, Pidgeot, Slowbro, Sableye and Gallade.

The majority of those just because they are previously poor Pokemon made into machines! Some of them were already amongst my favourite Pokemon too, so nice to see them being made better/being given attention.

I've already bred a bunch of them ready to transfer over in a few weeks time. I need to breed more Altaria though, I currently only have two, because it's going to have many different sets it can use...

From what I've experience in Showdown, Mega Gallade is just amazing. Favorite Mega, no contest.

I've just seen shiny Gallade. I am so tempted to take my first step into a rabbit hole and breed for shinies...

I'm really looking foward to using M-Gallade, M-Lopunny and M-Altaria. This is precisely the types of megas that i like, megas that actualy improve upon the regular forms unlike (in my opinion) megas like M-Scizor, M-Chomp, M-Tyranitar, M-Gyarados and M-Alakazam.

I already have a set for M-Gallade and M-Lopunny, but i'm having a hard time coming up with one for M-Altaria.

scuse me mate but the only one that could even be considered to have merit there is Chomp. Scizor, Gyara, and 'Zam are straight better than their base forms and MTTar plays an entirely different role than TTar-N - DDance sweeper as opposed to support. Chomp also can be argued, since it is a wallbreaker as opposed to support/sweeper/wall (the roles Garchomp-N traditionally can play), but due to the reemergence of ChainChomp (mixed LO with Draco Meteor) I could sort of see a case for Garchomp-N outclassing MGarchomp.

Yeah, real rabbits look gender neutral, but we aren't talking about real rabbits, we're talking about one that looks like this

250px-428Lopunny.png
150px-428Lopunny-Mega.png

Should note I don't have a problem with Lopunny looking feminine, I just think it looks far more feminine than Roserade does.

not to mention the theme of "rose pokemon" by itself is girlish.

And Lopunny's theme isn't girlish? I think Lopunny's theme is far more girlish than a rose. Roserade has a cape and a mask, so it can draw from masquerade balls or even a superhero at a push, so it isn't just a rose. I don't consider that significantly "girlish", especially when compared to a playboy bunny with a womanly-figure, pigtails (Mega Lopunny even has scrunchies tying its hair up), and holding its arms in a stereotypical Japanese girl pose.

Not to mention, its partly designed after a playboy bunny. Think about that.

scuse me mate but the only one that could even be considered to have merit there is Chomp. Scizor, Gyara, and 'Zam are straight better than their base forms and MTTar plays an entirely different role than TTar-N - DDance sweeper as opposed to support. Chomp also can be argued, since it is a wallbreaker as opposed to support/sweeper/wall (the roles Garchomp-N traditionally can play), but due to the reemergence of ChainChomp (mixed LO with Draco Meteor) I could sort of see a case for Garchomp-N outclassing MGarchomp.
Ok, i might have exaggerated about those megas not being an improvement over the normal forms, but my main issue is this: were those megas necessary? Were Gyara, Chomp, TTar, Scizor and arguably Zam so down on their luck that they needed a mega? In my opinion, no. These mons have been OU since whatever gen they were introduced (except Zam this gen) and even Chomp was Uber for a while, they definitely didn't need a mega this gen.

And my other issue is this: they are boring to me. They are megas of mons that are already strong, their normal forms are already strong and their megas are complete waste in my opinion, these megas could have been given to pokemon that actualy needed them but instead went into these mons. I'm completely aware that one of the criteria to make a mega is popularity and i absolutely hate this criteria. But i know, GF has to make money, so they think they'll sell more games if people's favourite mons get megas.

Feel free to disagree with to me and tell me i'm wrong, i don't care, this is my stance on this.

Honestly I don't see the problem with giving Megas to popular mons that already very good. If they were the only ones who got Megas, then I would have a problem with it. But just from X/Y we have the following mons that needed the boost from a Mega:

Mawile, Charizard, Blastoise, Pinsir, Kangaskhan, Medicham, Manectric, Banette, Abomasnow... Maybe Absol, Ampharos and Houndoom? I don't know how good their base forms are.

Remember that popularity is not the same as the Pokémon being good, Charizard was pretty much the symbol of this before X/Y. Really, most of the mons that are getting Mega evos need the boost in some way, popular or not.

Back
Top Bottom