• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Normal type, would you buff it?

elveonora

Reaction score
It has 1 weakness, 1 immunity and no resistances, so overall neutral defenses, but offensively, it doesn't deal super-effective damage against anything and 2 types resist it, so it's bad, in fact the worst in that regard... What changes do you think would make sense for this type, if any?

Admittedly I don't battle competitively, so in that regard I'm less than an expert, but I think people get too hung up on the Normal-type not getting super-effective damage. The better Normal-types tend to have stats to make up for that, and there's still always STAB. I think perhaps there aren't enough really good Normal-type attacks - most of the best hover around the 70-80 range in terms of base power

The Normal-type attack that I see used the most is Return, and I usually only see it on Pokemon that can take advantage of the STAB power. Fighting moves are a problem, and it doesn't help that they are common. I want a Normal/Ghost type!

Regardless of my gripes, Normal-types are actually well-rounded enough to learn a whole assortment of moves with decent Attack power, but I do find it really irritating that a lot of Normal-types can learn moves like Fire Blast, Ice beam and Thunderbolt yet lack the Special Attack power that is necessary to pull them off. Besides new Pokemon, I really don't know what changes that can be made to make Normal more well-rounded than they already are.

My suggestions:

Defensively - to make Normal resist Fire, Grass, Water and to remove its weakness to Fighting while keeping its Ghost immunity
Offensively - to make it strong/weak against itself, (like Dragon is) replacing its Fighting weakness. Rock and Steel may continue to resist Normal.

Opinions?

Normal type is supposed to be the "worst" type. It's supossed to be the "average joe" of types, it's not special and it doesn't do anything special, Rock and Steel resists it because an average person can't break or at least dent rocks and steel, it's weak to Fighting because obviously a person not trained in martial arts will get his ass kicked by someone who is. Giving it resistances would go against that.

Also, with the advent of Inverse Battle, it becomes the most broken type in Inverse Battle, so i'm glad Normal is the way it is.

Last edited:
Normal type is supposed to be the "worst" type. It's supossed to be the "average joe" of types, it's not special and it doesn't do anything special, Rock and Steel resists it because an average person can't break or at least dent rocks and steel, it's weak to Fighting because obviously a person not trained in martial arts will get his ass kicked by someone how is. Giving it resistances would go against that.

Also, with the advent of Inverse Battle, it becomes the most broken type in Inverse Battle, so i'm glad Normal is the way it is.

And someone "normal" is immune to ghost possession, too? You try to define the Normal type as "no type" basically, which it is not.

Normal type is supposed to be the "worst" type. It's supossed to be the "average joe" of types, it's not special and it doesn't do anything special, Rock and Steel resists it because an average person can't break or at least dent rocks and steel, it's weak to Fighting because obviously a person not trained in martial arts will get his ass kicked by someone how is. Giving it resistances would go against that.

And someone "normal" is immune to ghost possession, too? You try to define the Normal type as "no type" basically, which it is not.
The dichotomy of life vs. death, inverse of normal not being able to hit ghosts, ghosts not touching living things, etc.

And yes, Normal is supposed to be the "no type".

I hate the state of the Normal type, There's no reason to use normal moves without STAB or one of the fun new -ate abilities.

The main problem i have is viewing Cut and Strength as necessary evils to be replaced at the earliest opportunity. These moves are awful for not even having secondary effects. Cut sounds like it could potentially have an increased crit ratio (making it the normal verson of Karate chop), and if Strength had chance of flinch it would replace Headbutt (acting like a normal verson of Iron head or Zen headbutt). Some of the normal type moves that are best have secondary effects, like Secret power and Tri-attack.

I would make normal moves SE to other normal types (like ghost), or SE to fairy types (since they were introduced to balance the match ups). Both may be a bit much. Defensively they are okay, and i like to include normal/flying types on my teams for ghost immunity yet still hitting them with a STAB move.

Cut sounds like it could potentially have an increased crit ratio (making it the normal verson of Karate chop),

It already exists, say hi to Slash.
Yes, I'd merge Cut with Slash, making Cut have 70 base power and increased crit hit ratio and I would also buff Strength's damage to 100 or even 110.

I think a good way to buff Normal types would be to give it conditional type advantages like Freeze Dry. Give it moves that specifically have type advantages against certain types. That way, it can gain some kind of usefulness while still keeping it the "average joe" type.

I feel like the best way to buff the Normal type would be improve their versatility, since that's meant to be their calling card. They're intended to be jack of all trades that can match up decently against anything, but don't have any advantages in particular.

Perhaps a small boost (like 10% or so) to all moves that don't get STAB, since Normal types are known for their broad coverage and expansive movepools.

I don't know why you would even want to buff it. It's just your normal, weak, average joe type. Nothing special, but also not weak to much. It's good for starting out, but should be replaced with something else later on.

I hate the state of the Normal type, There's no reason to use normal moves without STAB or one of the fun new -ate abilities.

The main problem i have is viewing Cut and Strength as necessary evils to be replaced at the earliest opportunity. These moves are awful for not even having secondary effects. Cut sounds like it could potentially have an increased crit ratio (making it the normal verson of Karate chop), and if Strength had chance of flinch it would replace Headbutt (acting like a normal verson of Iron head or Zen headbutt). Some of the normal type moves that are best have secondary effects, like Secret power and Tri-attack.

I would make normal moves SE to other normal types (like ghost), or SE to fairy types (since they were introduced to balance the match ups). Both may be a bit much. Defensively they are okay, and i like to include normal/flying types on my teams for ghost immunity yet still hitting them with a STAB move.

Making Fairies weak to Normal moves would be a bad idea. All you'd need to do would be to give your favourite Dragon Return and suddenly it's like Fairy never existed.

I think it's more the stats of most Normal types that bring the type down rather than the type chart, which is why I think having some more decent Physical and Special Normal-type attacks would help. Super effective damage won't matter as much when you have a decent Base Power backed by raw stats and STAB

Cut sounds like it could potentially have an increased crit ratio (making it the normal verson of Karate chop),

It already exists, say hi to Slash.
Yes, I'd merge Cut with Slash, making Cut have 70 base power and increased crit hit ratio and I would also buff Strength's damage to 100 or even 110.

Hmm.. merge Cut with Slash. Now there's an idea. Best i could think of was merge Cut with Fury Cutter (before gen 6 buffed it to ridiculous proportions). Strength would be better off with a secondary effect or something, if it had BP 100 it wouldn't be too different from Return at max friendship. Sort of like how Rock Climb has 90 BP and chance of confusion (but oh, that bad accuracy! Rock climb needed to be rock type anyway though. It's in the name in english and japanese, and if used on a No guard Machamp would be devastating - in the fun evil way.)

I would've made it super effective on Fairy, tbh. Unless a new type comes in I would leave it as is.

I think that if I buffed the Normal type, I would remove the resistance that Rock and Steel have against it. Since Normal is supposed to be the "neutral" type, it shouldn't be resisted by or super effective against anything, with Ghost being the exception for the sake of making Ghost a more unique type. Also, we need more special Normal moves, or at least a better distribution for moves like Boomburst, Tri Attack, and Hyper Voice, as well as more Normal types with high Special Attack like Porygon2/Porygon-Z.

Make it super effective against at least one type. Like @Muur; said, I'd choose the Fairy-type because irl there's no such thing as Fairies.

Normal=somewhat Realistic=Not believing in 'Fairies'

Make it super effective against at least one type. Like @Muur; said, I'd choose the Fairy-type because irl there's no such thing as Fairies.

Normal=somewhat Realistic=Not believing in 'Fairies'

Except by that logic, stuff like Ghost and Dragon would be weak to Normal as well.

And people can not believe in psychic powers.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom