• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kotaku calls original Gen 3 games "one of the worst" ...thoughts?

Ok let me try this one more time you must get my point at the very least

I have 17 shinys 3 of those are events from b2/w2(creation trio) one is an event from x/y (shiny gengar) A shiny slyveon i breed for a gabite, and haxorous from b2/w2 a shiny garchomp I randomly encountered in platnuim shiny gyrados from hg, a shiny mudkip I breed for ( and others I can't remeber), I have a mew from the emerald event (traded to me) I have jirachi deoxys diance from japan ( and others such as the pokebank celebi) If I was unable to transfer all of this I'd be pissed beyond repair its more then losing my lvl 100 charizard or that one shiny I found in gold, its a combination of pokemon from as far back as fr/lg, I have every legendary catachable since fr/lg and guess what they're people out there how have more then I do they're people with boxes of shinys (likely hacked but whos to say someone out there doesn't have that many shiny pokemon) have all event pokemon maybe even a living pokedex waiting to be transferred to gen 7.

Now tell all of us that all those pokemon can't be transferred to seventh gen because they want to make the games as simple as they were in red and blue, I garuntee 90% f of the older fanbase will be gone, and some kids who even have those pokemon (kids can get event pokemon too) will be just as angry if not more since they won't know how to cope with it and you just lost the audience you got in x/y leaving only the kids who have never played pokemon that's a major sales drop.

we're not talking g/s anymore where you miss out on mewtwo ho-oh lugia and some shiny pokemon we're talking years 12 years worth of pokemon collecting down the drain it's more then losing your first starter it's losing everything the games had it would be a regression, and by doing that they ostracize the older fanbase the one part of the game that isn't easy as heck is taken out because kids don't know how to breed (but probably have an older sibling who knows how) its not losing those 1000 hours you spent playing red/blue and gold/crystal its losing years of playing the game.

You're being very overdramatic. First of all, you were the one who made the decision to put effort into collecting shinies and event Legendaries to begin with. It's not something that you *have* to do to play the game (unlike Nature/IV breeding and EV training). And, second of all, you wouldn't really "lose" all of those Pokémon, just like you technically didn't "lose" your Lv 100 Charizard or shiny from Gold (unless your cartridge batteries died, of course). The older games would still always be there with all of your older Pokémon, and you'd make a new collection of favorites on the new ones, just like you did last time.

Ok let me try this one more time you must get my point at the very least

I have 17 shinys 3 of those are events from b2/w2(creation trio) one is an event from x/y (shiny gengar) A shiny slyveon i breed for a gabite, and haxorous from b2/w2 a shiny garchomp I randomly encountered in platnuim shiny gyrados from hg, a shiny mudkip I breed for ( and others I can't remeber), I have a mew from the emerald event (traded to me) I have jirachi deoxys diance from japan ( and others such as the pokebank celebi) If I was unable to transfer all of this I'd be pissed beyond repair its more then losing my lvl 100 charizard or that one shiny I found in gold, its a combination of pokemon from as far back as fr/lg, I have every legendary catachable since fr/lg and guess what they're people out there how have more then I do they're people with boxes of shinys (likely hacked but whos to say someone out there doesn't have that many shiny pokemon) have all event pokemon maybe even a living pokedex waiting to be transferred to gen 7.

Now tell all of us that all those pokemon can't be transferred to seventh gen because they want to make the games as simple as they were in red and blue, I garuntee 90% f of the older fanbase will be gone, and some kids who even have those pokemon (kids can get event pokemon too) will be just as angry if not more since they won't know how to cope with it and you just lost the audience you got in x/y leaving only the kids who have never played pokemon that's a major sales drop.

we're not talking g/s anymore where you miss out on mewtwo ho-oh lugia and some shiny pokemon we're talking years 12 years worth of pokemon collecting down the drain it's more then losing your first starter it's losing everything the games had it would be a regression, and by doing that they ostracize the older fanbase the one part of the game that isn't easy as heck is taken out because kids don't know how to breed (but probably have an older sibling who knows how) its not losing those 1000 hours you spent playing red/blue and gold/crystal its losing years of playing the game.

You're being very overdramatic. First of all, you were the one who made the decision to put effort into collecting shinies and event Legendaries to begin with. It's not something that you *have* to do to play the game (unlike Nature/IV breeding and EV training). And, second of all, you wouldn't really "lose" all of those Pokémon, just like you technically didn't "lose" your Lv 100 Charizard or shiny from Gold (unless your cartridge batteries died, of course). The older games would still always be there with all of your older Pokémon, and you'd make a new collection of favorites on the new ones, just like you did last time.

That would be a good point if it was just me but you see a large majority of the online fanbase (most of us atleast in our teens like myself) Have one shiny or a legendary pokemon, and would want it to go to the next generation. Instead of letting it rot inside the box of x/y forever while gen 7 is out there and then gen 8 and hen gen 9 at that point the 3ds would be obsolete and eventually never touched again, just like the gameboy if the batteries didn't die would you really turn on your gameboy to look at your lvl 100 charizard in gold and thats it you wouldn't want it in x/y right now so you could mega evolve it, or at the very least if you're not in cometitive to see it in the better graphics. My point is with ruby and sapphire the loss of backwards compatibility meant the loss of pokemon you had only had for 8 years and for the most part not many important to you the loss of backwards compailbtiy today means you loss hundreds that you need to catch all over again, because if you hadn't noticed this game is about collecting and battling, I can collect in gold and sliver right now all I want but what good is it if I have no one to play against to show them off.

if you collected 721 stamps and then were told you have to collect them again because we're starting over would you not be angry and inclined to not do it again? A shiny is a rare stamp you'll never get that one back.

I can collect in gold and sliver right now all I want but what good is it if I have no one to play against to show them off.

Bleh, I've never had anyone to play against or show off (the Stadium games were the most battling/showing off I've ever done), so that never mattered to me. Obviously, others did things differently.

And, besides, aren't the Gen 4 and 5 games already kind of "cut off" thanks to the DS Wi-Fi services being shut down? And, the Gen 3 games can't even be played on modern hardware, let alone connect with the newest games. (Hence, the reason why they're making ORAS.)

if you collected 721 stamps and then were told you have to collect them again because we're starting over would you not be angry and inclined to not do it again? A shiny is a rare stamp you'll never get that one back.

I may get upset, but I'd eventually move on. Even if I was "losing" one shiny, I'd be certain to get another one that's just as cool. Things always work out in the end.

As others have said, the article is obvious click bait.

In my opinion, Gen III was pretty awesome. I will admit, at first I was really underwhelmed, and I can see how people would get caught up on the things I didn't like at first. Gen III being cut off from Gen II was very disappointing at first, but I quickly got over it. Also, knowing now that the games code was pretty much completely rewritten from scratch, I understand why older pokemon literally couldn't be transferred and consider it a necessary step in the right direction. One thing that bugged me the most in Gen III was the lack of pokemon animations. It seemed like a real step backwards. Maybe the GBA has some limitation I was am unaware of, but Gen II's animations were great for a GBC game. Other than that, I would say the amount of water routes could be annoying at times, but not a biggy. All of that was pretty much overridden by how much I loved everything else. I like the story, it introduced what are still some (maybe even most) of my all time favorite pokemon, I love the Hoenn region itself, and the changes in Emerald just made the generation outstanding to me. Gen IV on the other hand sucked in my opinion. I think the only Gen IV pokemon I actually like is Torterra. Gliscor is okay. The rest I honestly wish never existed. The story in Gen IV was also down right terrible in my opinion. The layout of the region itself I also really did not like. Don't even get me started on how much I hated Berry... I played Platinum until Soul Silver came out, then gave it away. I do really appreciate all the changes to mechanics that were done for Gen IV. I only wish they had been done in Gen III instead. Gens V and X/Y were alright. There were things I did and didn't like in terms of story, mechanics, pokemon, etc. Gens I and II were good at the time of course, the remakes are considerably better, as I am sure most will agree.

But, it is all subjective. Everyone will have different tastes. I have reasons for why I prefer Gen III's story over Gen IV's, and other people will have their reasons for having the opposite opinion.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom