• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Generation 1 Remake Discussion Thread

BettyN

Reaction score
After ORAS come out in less than a month, Generation 1 will be the last Generation to be unavailable on the 3DS, as neither RBY or FRLG can be played on anything newer than a DS Lite (a very obsolete handheld that's only becoming harder to find as time goes on). Furthermore, the games themselves aren't exactly easy to find, either. Being GB/C games, RBY suffer from dead batteries (albeit, not to the extent as GSC) and extremely outdated graphics/mechanics. Even FRLG aren't a whole lot better, lacking all of the graphical and mechanical improvements (as well as Pokémon) that have been added to the games after Gen 3, and since they were created for the most hacked/bootlegged handheld ever, finding a legit copy is an absolute nightmare nowadays. (And, if you find one, get ready to pay a ton of $$$ for it, because old Pokémon games sell for big bucks, nowadays.)

Aside from the gameplay/mechanical reasons, there's another valid reason to remake Generation 1 again--The timeline. Aside from the obvious reason of having Fairies and Megas exist in both Hoenn and Gen 1 Kanto (which are supposed to take place at the same time), there are also some HUGE continuity conflicts between Yellow and FRLG in regards to HGSS, as I explained in another post:

I think the root of the whole problem with the "remakes vs originals" argument is the fact that FRLG didn't incorporate anything from Yellow, despite that being the canon game for Gen 1, as established by GSC, and HGSS were designed more as GSC remakes than FRLG sequels, so the Yellow callbacks remained, even though they no longer made sense with the timeline.

Just like HGSS were able to merge the Gold/Silver and Crystal storylines, FRLG should've also been able to merge Red/Blue and Yellow. They could've given all of the Gym Leaders their Yellow teams, for example, and had Jessie/James appear just like they did in Yellow (except as a double battle, this time). Also, they could've given the player a non-evolving Pikachu with a Light Ball early in the game (Viridian Forest, maybe?) and handed out the other two starters somewhere in the postgame. And, ideally, Pikachu (and the starters) would've always been following you, just like in Yellow.

(Interestingly, one Yellow-exclusive that almost returned in FRLG was the Pikachu's Beach minigame, as proven by unused data for a house interior located on Route 19. So many missed opportunities with these games...)

A proper remake that either straight-up remakes Yellow or incorporates elements from both Red/Blue and Yellow would solve this debate once and for all.

So, for people who WANT to see another Gen 1 remake (just click away from this thread if you don't want one), what are some things you'd want to see? Feel free to share your ideas here.

A few months ago, I laid out this plan of my own for a Yellow remake:

My Ideal Yellow Remake:

1. Day/Night
2. Berry Trees
3. All of the first 251 Pokémon in the Regional Dex, plus their evos and babies from Gens 3, 4, and 6
4. Pokémon Amie
5. GB Sounds available near start of game
6. Moss Rock added to Viridian Forest and Ice Rock added to Seafoam Islands (for Leafeon and Glaceon)
7. New electromagnetic area added near Power Plant (for Magnezone)
8. Starter Pikachu gets a Light Ball around Cerulean or Vermillion (around the time it started to become obsolete in the original)
9. Rival's Eevee can now evolve into either Espeon, Umbreon, or Leafeon in addition to the original three Eeveelutions (couldn't think of a way to fit either Glaceon or Sylveon onto his team)
10. Jessie and James are a double battle and have more appearances after Silph Co.
11. Level curve is the same as Yellow, but with two major exceptions--Koga's ace is now Level 42, and Sabrina's is Level 45 (they were both Level 50 in the original, way too high for that point of the game)
12. Pikachu can now learn Surf straight from the HM
13. The VS Seeker from FRLG returns
14. The Fame Checker from FRLG also returns, but now has a reward for completing it
15. The gift Kanto Starters are all holding Mega Stones
16. The Sevii Islands return, but are expanded and fleshed out into a real region (the extra islands that were cut from FRLG would also be included)
17. The encounter with Lorelei in Icefall Cave would be a tag battle against Petrel and Proton
18. Prof. Rowan shows up in the postgame and gives you a Sinnoh Starter
19. Gym Leader and Elite Four rematches (they'll all have Megas on their rematch teams)
20. All Elite Four members appear in the postgame on certain days of the week in a Double Battle:
- Bruno and Brawly at Mt. Ember
- Agatha and either Prof. Oak or Bertha at Pokémon Tower
- Lorelei and Lance at Navel Rock (couldn't think of any other friend for Lorelei, and HGSS already did Lance and Clair; plus, I really ship Lance/Lorelei)
21. Eusine appears in Celadon City, and after you speak to him, the Legendary Dogs will start roaming Kanto
22. The following later Gen characters all have cameos: Silver, Janine, Clair, Karen, maybe Alder or Diantha (I'm not a fan of Cynthia, and she's appeared in way too many games, IMO)
23. Lugia and Ho-Oh return to Navel Rock, but are no longer event-exclusive
24. Lugia's connection to Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres is fleshed-out
25. Mewtwo's backstory is fleshed-out
26. Either Dialga/Palkia/Giratina or Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem are all catchable in a postgame area (just like Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza in HGSS)
27. The (lame) Battle Tower near Seven Island is replaced with the Hoenn Battle Frontier (just like HGSS had the Sinnoh Battle Frontier)
28. Unselected player character appears as a secondary rival with Clefairy as their starter (like Ethan/Lyra in HGSS)
29. The following get Megas (among others)--Raichu (Electric/Fairy), the Nidoroyals (Poison/Ground), Clefable (Fairy), Vileplume (Grass/Poison), Ninetales (Fire/Ghost), Arcanine (Fire/Dragon), Machamp (Fighting), Victreebel (Grass/Poison), Golem (Rock/Ground), Rapidash (Fire/Flying), Exeggutor (Grass), Starmie (Water/Psychic), Mr. Mime (Psychic/Fairy), Jynx (Ice/Fairy), Tauros (Normal), Lapras (Water), Omastar (Rock/Water), Kabutops (Rock/Water), Dragonite (Dragon/Fairy), Crobat (Poison/Flying), Bellossom (Grass/Fairy), Azumarill (Water/Fairy), Quagsire (Water/Ground), Slowking (Water/Psychic), Miltank (Normal), Ambipom (Normal/Fighting), Mismagius (Ghost/Fairy), Weavile (Dark/Ice), Rhyperior (Ground/Rock), Togekiss (Fairy/Flying), Yanmega (Bug/Dragon), and Mamoswine (Ground/Ice)

As for the Rival's Eevee...

1. Eevee => Vaporeon (replaces Cloyster): Lose to him in Oak's Lab
2. Eevee => Jolteon (replaces Magnezone): After beating him in Oak's lab, defeat his Eevee on Route 22 with a Special attack
3. Eevee => Flareon (replaces Ninetales): After beating him in Oak's lab, either skip or lose the battle on Route 22 during the day
4. Eevee => Espeon (replaces Alakazam): After beating him in Oak's lab, either skip or lose the battle on Route 22 during the morning
5. Eevee => Umbreon (replaces Tyranitar): After beating him in Oak's lab, either skip or lose the battle on Route 22 during the night
6. Eevee => Leafeon (replaces Exeggutor): After beating him in Oak's lab, defeat his Eevee on Route 22 with a Physical attack

@PKMNOriginsRed and myself also discussed a few ideas of our own in this thread (Page 4 only).

My personal wants for a Gen 1 remake would be paired versions incorporating the elements of Yellow. For names, perhaps InfernoRed and SolarGreen/HydroBlue, or it could also be BlastRed and FrenzyGreen/HydroBlue (I personally think IRSG sounds better). My main wants for it would be:

*Day/Night Cycle
*Sevii Islands majorly expanded
*Leaf as a 3rd rival, introduced as the PC's sister, and chooses the 3rd starter. Role filled by Red if you choose Leaf. Final battle with them in front of the Pokemon League, afterwards they can be rematched in Pallet Town daily, and also assists you in the postgame storyline.
*Pokemon following you (Limited to Pikachu, the Kanto starters, Kanto/Johto Legendaries, Deoxys, the Hitmon's, Clefairy line, Jigglypuff line, Dragonite line, Eeveelutions, Kanto fossils, Lapras, Snorlax, Togepi line, Tyranitar line?)
*Naval Rock as an actual postgame location
*Fleshed out Mew and Mewtwo backstories
*Mew/Mewtwo plays a major role in the postgame storyline. There's a storyline quest (could be an event) post-Sevii that allows you to encounter Mew in Vermillion City (wink wink) and then pursue it around Kanto, finally battling it at Mt. Silver.
*Mt. Silver as a major postgame location (Could also show us why Red/Leaf are on Mt. Silver)
*Hoenn's Battle Frontier in the Sevii Islands (Or a totally new Kanto facility, Battle Mansion or Battle Laboratory?)
*Several NPC's always have a Pokemon following them (Blue's Eevee, which will become a member of his team alongside his normal starter, TRio's Meowth, Giovanni's Persian, Red/Leaf's Pikachu/Jigglypuff)
*TRio, but actually important to the storyline and appears past Silph. Become a double battle
*In-game event in Viridian Forest allowing you to capture a Pikachu. Pikachu is always male, holds a Light Ball, and refuses to evolve.
*Berry Trees
*All new pre-evo's/evo's added to Kanto dex, plus some Pokemon from Johto, and rarely from Hoenn and Sinnoh when needed (for types like Ghost for example)
*Moss Rock in Viridian Forest, Ice Rock as Seafoam Islands
*Pokemon like Magnazone can evolve in Silph Co and the Power Plant
*VS Seeker and Fame Checker return (FC actually has a reward this time, not sure what it could be. Maybe the ability to customize your character with the appearance of other NPC's, maybe even other PCs?)
*Pikachu caught in Viridian can learn Surf (Maybe it could be version dependent, Surf in FireRed and Fly in LeafGreen)
*Pikachu's Beach/Flying Pikachu game appear/return
*Lugia's connection to the Legendary Birds is expanded
*Pokemon Amie/Super Training/PSS
*GB sounds available as an option
*Some new Mega's include:

Mega Raichu (Electric, maybe Electric/Fighting), Mega Dragonite (Dragon/Water), Mega Mew (Psychic/Fairy), Mega Omastar (Water), Mega Kabutops (Water/Bug), Mega Arcanine (Fire), Mega Persian (Normal/Dark), Mega Machamp (Fighting), Mega Golem (Rock/Fire), Mega Togekiss (Fairy/Flying), Mega Crobat (Poison/Flying), Mega Rapidash (Fire/Flying), Mega Articuno (Ice/Flying), Mega Moltres (Fire/Flying), Mega Zapdos (Electric/Flying), Mega Rhyperior (Ground/Rock), Mega Nidoroyalty (Poison/Ground), Mega Snorlax (Normal/Fighting), Mega Lapras (Water/Dragon), Mega Jynx (Ice/Fairy), Mega Porygon-Z (Electric/Dark, yes a complete change :p), Mega Clefable (Fairy/Psychic), Mega Butterfree (Bug/Psychic)

These are all great ideas, Red. :thumbup:

My personal wants for a Gen 1 remake would be paired versions incorporating the elements of Yellow. For names, perhaps InfernoRed and SolarGreen/HydroBlue, or it could also be BlastRed and FrenzyGreen/HydroBlue (I personally think IRSG sounds better).

I prefer InfernoRed/HydroBlue, myself. Since the Rival's canon English name will remain Blue, I'd prefer a Red/Blue pair over a Red/Green one. Of course, SolarGreen does work better if the female protagonist is named Green instead of Leaf.

*Several NPC's always have a Pokemon following them (Blue's Eevee, which will become a member of his team alongside his normal starter, TRio's Meowth, Giovanni's Persian, Red/Leaf's Pikachu/Jigglypuff)

Interesting choice of Jigglypuff as the other PC's Pikachu counterpart over Clefairy. I went with Clefairy because it was almost the franchise's mascot, it's similarly rare in the wild as Pikachu, and it's simply a stronger Pokémon (Clefable's more on par with a Light Ball Pikachu than Wigglytuff). However, Jigglypuff does parallel Pikachu more in regards to marketing (think SSB).

Blue's team also interests me. He'll have his regular starter (and presumably, Red/Blue team), but he'll also have the Eevee from Yellow. How would you handle his final team?

*In-game event in Viridian Forest allowing you to capture a Pikachu. Pikachu is always male, holds a Light Ball, and refuses to evolve.

I don't think Pikachu needs to be male-only. The Pikachu from Yellow could be either gender, after all (although you needed GSC/Stadium 2 to be able to tell). To me, Red's Pikachu being male in HGSS doesn't mean much since in-game NPC Pokémon with a 50-50 ratio always default to a single gender, depending on trainer, and I don't think most trainers, in reality, use nothing but Pokémon of a single gender.

(I headcanon Lance's Gyarados as being female, for example, because that's the gender it was in Stadium 2, where NPC teams didn't all default to one gender. I should also note that Red's entire team, including Pikachu, can be either gender in the PWT, which also doesn't have a "one gender per team" restriction like the regular NPC teams.)

That being said, one thing that *could* be done with the event Pikachu is have it know/learn Volt Tackle without breeding, just like Red's Pikachu from HGSS.

*All new pre-evo's/evo's added to Kanto dex, plus some Pokemon from Johto, and rarely from Hoenn and Sinnoh when needed (for types like Ghost for example)

I could be down with adding Gen 3/4 Pokémon for some of the rarer types, namely Ghost, Dragon, Steel, and Dark. (I'd stay away from Gens 5 and 6, though.) Maybe, we could include some of these:

- Poochyena/Mightyena
- Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry
- Sableye
- Feebas/Milotic (not a rare type, but they're counterparts to Magikarp/Gyarados)
- Carvanha/Sharpedo
- Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon
- Cacnea/Cacturne
- Mawile
- Swablu/Altaria
- Duskull/Dusclops/Dusknoir
- Absol
- Shuppet/Banette
- Aron/Lairon/Aggron
- Drifloon/Drifblim
- Stunky/Skuntank
- Bronzor/Bronzong
- Spiritomb
- Riolu/Lucario (this one would probably be a must just because of its popularity)

(FC actually has a reward this time, not sure what it could be. Maybe the ability to customize your character with the appearance of other NPC's, maybe even other PCs?)

Ooh, I like that. :thumbup:

On the subject of outfits, I'd also like to see the characters get new designs that look closer to their original looks. That means Red looking more like this than this, and Blue looking more like this than this. Leaf/Green can get a new outfit that's a mashup of her FRLG look and her beta one. The FRLG outfits could be made available as customizable alternate outfits, if desired.

The same also goes for the NPCs, particularly the ones who received drastic makeovers in FRLG and HGSS, such as Sabrina, Blaine, and the Elite Four. I'd *love* to see Sabrina and Lance in their (far better, IMO) original outfits again, and I'd like to see the melanin returned to Bruno's skin. (Man, did FRLG and HGSS whitewash him hard.)

Mega Raichu (Electric, maybe Electric/Fighting), Mega Dragonite (Dragon/Water), Mega Mew (Psychic/Fairy), Mega Omastar (Water), Mega Kabutops (Water/Bug), Mega Arcanine (Fire), Mega Persian (Normal/Dark), Mega Machamp (Fighting), Mega Golem (Rock/Fire), Mega Togekiss (Fairy/Flying), Mega Crobat (Poison/Flying), Mega Rapidash (Fire/Flying), Mega Articuno (Ice/Flying), Mega Moltres (Fire/Flying), Mega Zapdos (Electric/Flying), Mega Rhyperior (Ground/Rock), Mega Nidoroyalty (Poison/Ground), Mega Snorlax (Normal/Fighting), Mega Lapras (Water/Dragon), Mega Jynx (Ice/Fairy), Mega Porygon-Z (Electric/Dark, yes a complete change :p), Mega Clefable (Fairy/Psychic), Mega Butterfree (Bug/Psychic)

Interesting type changes for some of these. I really like your ideas for Golem and the fossils.

These are all great ideas, Red. :thumbup:

I prefer InfernoRed/HydroBlue, myself. Since the Rival's canon English name will remain Blue, I'd prefer a Red/Blue pair over a Red/Green one. Of course, SolarGreen does work better if the female protagonist is named Green instead of Leaf.

Interesting choice of Jigglypuff as the other PC's Pikachu counterpart over Clefairy. I went with Clefairy because it was almost the franchise's mascot, it's similarly rare in the wild as Pikachu, and it's simply a stronger Pokémon (Clefable's more on par with a Light Ball Pikachu than Wigglytuff). However, Jigglypuff does parallel Pikachu more in regards to marketing (think SSB).

Blue's team also interests me. He'll have his regular starter (and presumably, Red/Blue team), but he'll also have the Eevee from Yellow. How would you handle his final team?

I don't think Pikachu needs to be male-only. The Pikachu from Yellow could be either gender, after all (although you needed GSC/Stadium 2 to be able to tell). To me, Red's Pikachu being male in HGSS doesn't mean much since in-game NPC Pokémon with a 50-50 ratio always default to a single gender, depending on trainer, and I don't think most trainers, in reality, use nothing but Pokémon of a single gender.

(I headcanon Lance's Gyarados as being female, for example, because that's the gender it was in Stadium 2, where NPC teams didn't all default to one gender. I should also note that Red's entire team, including Pikachu, can be either gender in the PWT, which also doesn't have a "one gender per team" restriction like the regular NPC teams.)

That being said, one thing that *could* be done with the event Pikachu is have it know/learn Volt Tackle without breeding, just like Red's Pikachu from HGSS.

I could be down with adding Gen 3/4 Pokémon for some of the rarer types, namely Ghost, Dragon, Steel, and Dark. (I'd stay away from Gens 5 and 6, though.) Maybe, we could include some of these:

- Poochyena/Mightyena
- Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry
- Sableye
- Feebas/Milotic (not a rare type, but they're counterparts to Magikarp/Gyarados)
- Carvanha/Sharpedo
- Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon
- Cacnea/Cacturne
- Mawile
- Swablu/Altaria
- Duskull/Dusclops/Dusknoir
- Absol
- Shuppet/Banette
- Aron/Lairon/Aggron
- Drifloon/Drifblim
- Stunky/Skuntank
- Bronzor/Bronzong
- Spiritomb
- Riolu/Lucario (this one would probably be a must just because of its popularity)

(FC actually has a reward this time, not sure what it could be. Maybe the ability to customize your character with the appearance of other NPC's, maybe even other PCs?)

Ooh, I like that. :thumbup:

On the subject of outfits, I'd also like to see the characters get new designs that look closer to their original looks. That means Red looking more like this than this, and Blue looking more like this than this. Leaf/Green can get a new outfit that's a mashup of her FRLG look and her beta one. The FRLG outfits could be made available as customizable alternate outfits, if desired.

The same also goes for the NPCs, particularly the ones who received drastic makeovers in FRLG and HGSS, such as Sabrina, Blaine, and the Elite Four. I'd *love* to see Sabrina and Lance in their (far better, IMO) original outfits again, and I'd like to see the melanin returned to Bruno's skin. (Man, did FRLG and HGSS whitewash him hard.)

Interesting type changes for some of these. I really like your ideas for Golem and the fossils.

Very good points, especially on Pikachu's gender. Pikachu should learn Volt Tackle at whatever lvl most Pokemon are around 8th Gym-Victory Road. I'd probably have Blue's final team be:

Pidgeot, Alakazam, Eeveelution, Arcanine, Exeggutor, Starter

Exeggutor could also be switched out for his Eeveelution instead of Rhydon. Also, I chose Jigglypuff for Leaf since that's one of Green's main Pokemon in Adventures (Which is basically the only canon we have with Green/Leaf as an actual character besides FR/LG).

Well, with FRLG the only region that can't be played on a 3DS, I can imagine the possibility of (instead of remakes) a 3DS eShop release on Virtual Console. Sure, this means you won't be able to transfer it forward via 4th gen, but that's arguably true (if moot) of ORAS, and they could easily (feasibly?) patch Poke Transporter to transfer Pokemon straight from VC to Bank.

Or, what if instead of the Sevii Islands, after beating the Elite 4, a Kanto remake let you travel to Johto in its pre-League days? (Or does such an idea even exist... still, it being HGSS inverted might be awesome.)

If- and I mean IF- this ever is redone, it needs to be something different from FRLG or RBY. We've had Red and Blue introduce it, Yellow improve it, GSC to push it into the future, and FireRed and LeafGreen AND SoulSilver/HeartGold to rehash the nearly-same things. I'd still buy the games for purposes of nostalgia, but I'd really, REALLY prefer it if the game could be a little different from "carbon copy with graphical changes." Add story. Add plot. Heck, add lore and legends and actually EXPLAIN what those birds are so legendary for! Do some storytelling like the various manga that exist, or even use some anime ideas. In any case, I'd be glad if I wasn't playing a polished version of the exact same game. The various media outlets proved long, long ago that even a world as bland as Kanto could be vividly painted with a good story, and I really don't see why the games wouldn't be able to handle this.

Very good points, especially on Pikachu's gender. Pikachu should learn Volt Tackle at whatever lvl most Pokemon are around 8th Gym-Victory Road.

Pikachu currently learns Thunder at Level 50. Maybe, that could be swapped out for Volt Tackle?

I'd probably have Blue's final team be:

Pidgeot, Alakazam, Eeveelution, Arcanine, Exeggutor, Starter

I see. I wonder what Eeveelution Blue would have? Maybe, he could evolve it into Umbreon to parallel his anime counterpart?

I chose Jigglypuff for Leaf since that's one of Green's main Pokemon in Adventures (Which is basically the only canon we have with Green/Leaf as an actual character besides FR/LG).

Good point, there. (Although, looking it up, Adventures!Green also has a Clefairy/Clefable.) If we go with Jigglypuff, however, it should have a boosting item of its own for better parity with Pikachu and Eevee, stat-wise. Maybe, they could bring back the Polkadot Bow from GSC (which was only obtainable by trading a Jigglypuff from RBY) but retcon it into being Jigglypuff's version of the Light Ball.

Well, with FRLG the only region that can't be played on a 3DS, I can imagine the possibility of (instead of remakes) a 3DS eShop release on Virtual Console. Sure, this means you won't be able to transfer it forward via 4th gen, but that's arguably true (if moot) of ORAS, and they could easily (feasibly?) patch Poke Transporter to transfer Pokemon straight from VC to Bank.

If the Virtual Console was a viable solution for outdated Pokémon games, then they would've just put RSE there instead of making ORAS. Besides, there are other reasons why Gen 1 needs to be remade again.

Or, what if instead of the Sevii Islands, after beating the Elite 4, a Kanto remake let you travel to Johto in its pre-League days? (Or does such an idea even exist... still, it being HGSS inverted might be awesome.)

That could be interesting. (To be honest, I think a lot of people would've rather seen Johto in FRLG than the Sevii Islands.)

If- and I mean IF- this ever is redone, it needs to be something different from FRLG or RBY. We've had Red and Blue introduce it, Yellow improve it, GSC to push it into the future, and FireRed and LeafGreen AND SoulSilver/HeartGold to rehash the nearly-same things. I'd still buy the games for purposes of nostalgia, but I'd really, REALLY prefer it if the game could be a little different from "carbon copy with graphical changes." Add story. Add plot. Heck, add lore and legends and actually EXPLAIN what those birds are so legendary for! Do some storytelling like the various manga that exist, or even use some anime ideas. In any case, I'd be glad if I wasn't playing a polished version of the exact same game. The various media outlets proved long, long ago that even a world as bland as Kanto could be vividly painted with a good story, and I really don't see why the games wouldn't be able to handle this.

Well, that's exact kind of remake @PKMNOriginsRed and I have been talking about.

the Legendary Dogs will start roaming Kanto
NO. Roamers are such a pain to find, and if they have an unfavourable nature/IVs or something it's not always an option to soft reset (if it takes a few attempts to weaken them like it did for me when i was playing Platinum).

There's a seperate topic for megas, but anyway i find some of these choices questionable. M Lapras as water/dragon and M Butterfree as bug/psychic, for example sound pretty good, but why would M Porygon-Z have ANY dark?

NO. Roamers are such a pain to find, and if they have an unfavourable nature/IVs or something it's not always an option to soft reset (if it takes a few attempts to weaken them like it did for me when i was playing Platinum).

There's a seperate topic for megas, but anyway i find some of these choices questionable. M Lapras as water/dragon and M Butterfree as bug/psychic, for example sound pretty good, but why would M Porygon-Z have ANY dark?

I think I was pretty tired when I wrote that, the Porygon was based off its description of being corrupted, I was thinking its mega could be a MissingNo like virus-y thing

Well, they could always be stationary encounters. Maybe, you could have it so they'll each appear as a stationary encounter on a random route/dungeon after talking to Eusine. There, the only difficulty will be finding which route or dungeon it is.

I would have no problem if gen 1 is remade again but for these remakes I'll be more strict then I was for oras as its a remake of a game thats been remade already.

Firstly don't make it inferno fire red and lush leaf green make it lighting yellow or water blue that way its not a remake of a remake technically
Pikachu and the kanto starters (base forms atleast) can follow you
leaf returns and doesn't get the kris treatment, and maybe even gets some story line purpose, like lyra did in hg/ss
make it the 20th anniversary game so I have more incentive to buy it like a celebration game
let us evolve our pokemon this time no fire red crap again
While I did not care about this for oras its much more important for kanto an updated pokedex, agatha shouldn't have arbok and two gengars
mega evos in the game
updated areas cinnibar should have a volcano this time with the gym ontop of it making us have to climb it to get to the gym
a more fleshed out team rocket
reds current design stays the same
we get to fight oak? ( won't care if it doesn't happen but I would love this)
more post game then fr/lg

and more will come to mind if this really happens

I've posted several times about what I want to see in a future Kanto game, but I'll say it again for this thread:

-Ideally, it should be a BW2 style sequel that solely takes place in Kanto, has new areas, and new gyms.

-DEX EXPANSION!!! Okay, there's a lot of regional dexes that have balancing issues, but this one takes the cake. We have a very low number of Pokemon for Dark, Ghost, Steel, and Dragon types, and 3 of those are major counters for Psychic. So keeping Kanto's terrible dex variety is virtually synonymous with going back in time to 1st gen when Psychic types dominated the game, and that's one aspect of the originals that they certainly should not revisit. And no, they can't just throw in 2nd gen Pokemon because you still have issues if you stick with just the first two generations, because then you still lack Ghost and Dragon. They have to throw in something from the later generations for the Kanto Dex to finally balance out.

-Improved storyline. Kanto's storyline was horribly bare and Team Rocket was the least threatening evil team in the series who just haphazardly invaded random areas and never really did anything that went beyond petty crimes. Compared to later evil teams which were more deadly and global threats, they're an utter disappointment. Time to fix that. I don't care if they don't involve legendaries whatsoever because they don't need to shoehorn a legendary into the plot to do these things, but they should do something that puts them on par with the other evil teams.

-Utilize some of Kanto's changes from GSCHGSS into something constructive. No more Pokemon Tower? That's fine, we have House of Memories that would work as a good substitute. Cinnibar Island got blown up by a volcano? Perfect, Kanto needs a volcano area. Oh, and what about that building in Vermillion that they've been trying to build for years? They need to do something with that.

-Completely redesign the areas so they're not flat, short, and boring (Rt. 3 and Rt. 9 should be more mountainous, and Rt. 7, Rt. 16, and Rt. 18 shouldn't be so short and simple). It's 2014. I shouldn't be exploring areas that look like they were made by a 5 year old.

-Kanto needs some region exclusive features. Where's Kanto's regional gadget? Where's the extra features like Contests and Secret Bases? Where's Kanto's version of the Battle Tower? The building in Vermillion would be a perfect spot for one of these.

(Note: This thread is for people who want a Gen 1 REMAKE. People who want a sequel or anything else would be better served here or here. Thanks!)

I've been thinking of places where the Gen 2-4 Pokémon added to the Regional Dex could go in Kanto:

- Chikorita: Cerulean City Gift (replaces Bulbasaur from Yellow)
- Cyndaquil: Route 24 Gift (replaces Charmander from Yellow)
- Totodile: Vermillion City Gift (replaces Squirtle from Yellow)
- Sentret: Route 1, Route 7, Route 8
- Furret: Route 7, Route 8
- Hoothoot: Route 1, Route 2, Viridian Forest, Route 3, Route 4, Route 5, Route 6, Route 7, Route 8, Route 13, Route 14, Route 15, Route 16, Route 18, Route 21
- Noctowl: Route 13, Route 14, Route 15, Route 16, Route 18, Route 21, Route 23
- Ledyba: Route 2, Viridian Forest (HydroBlue only)
- Spinarak: Route 2, Viridian Forest (InfernoRed only)
- Chinchou: Pallet Town, Vermillion City, Route 20, Cinnabar Island, Route 21, Route 23 (Good Rod or Super Rod)
- Lanturn: Pallet Town, Vermillion City, Route 20, Cinnabar Island, Route 21, Route 23 (Super Rod)
- Togepi: Gift from Route 5 Day Care (which would be a full Day Care with breeding)
- Natu: Route 22
- Xatu: Route 23, Victory Road, Unknown Dungeon
- Mareep: Route 10, Route 14, Route 15
- Flaaffy: Route 14, Route 15
- Marill: Seafoam Islands
- Azumarill: Seafoam Islands, Unknown Dungeon
- Hoppip: Route 11, Route 13, Route 14, Route 15
- Skiploom: Route 14, Route 15
- Aipom: Viridian Forest
- Sunkern: Route 14, Route 15, Route 24
- Yanma: Route 14, Route 15, Route 24
- Wooper: Seafoam Islands, Route 22
- Quagsire: Seafoam Islands, Route 23
- Murkrow: Route 7, Route 16, Route 18
- Misdreavus: Rock Tunnel, Pokémon Tower
- Wobbuffet: Safari Zone, Unknown Dungeon
- Girafarig: Safari Zone
- Pineco: Safari Zone
- Dunsparce: Rock Tunnel
- Gligar: Route 23, Victory Road (InfernoRed only)
- Snubbull: Route 5, Route 6, Route 7, Route 8
- Qwilfish: Route 12, Route 13 (Good Rod or Super Rod)
- Shuckle: Rock Smash
- Heracross: Celadon Game Corner, Safari Zone
- Sneasel: Seafoam Islands
- Teddiursa: Rock Tunnel, Route 23 (InfernoRed only)
- Ursaring: Route 23, Victory Road, Unknown Dungeon (InfernoRed only)
- Slugma: Route 16, Route 17, Route 18, Cinnabar Mansion
- Magcargo: Cinnabar Mansion
- Swinub: Seafoam Islands
- Piloswine: Seafoam Islands
- Corsola: Cerulean City, Route 19, Route 20, Cinnabar Island, Route 21 (Good Rod or Super Rod)
- Remoraid: Route 22, Route 23 (Good Rod or Super Rod)
- Octillery: Route 22, Route 23 (Super Rod)
- Delibird: Seafoam Islands (HydroBlue only)
- Mantine: Route 19, Route 20, Route 21 (InfernoRed only)
- Skarmory: Route 23, Victory Road (HydroBlue only)
- Houndour: Route 7, Route 8
- Phanpy: Rock Tunnel, Route 23 (HydroBlue only)
- Donphan: Route 23, Victory Road, Unknown Dungeon (HydroBlue only)
- Stantler: Safari Zone
- Smeargle: Safari Zone
- Hitmontop: Fighting Dojo Gift (along with Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan)
- Miltank: Safari Zone
- Raikou/Entei/Suicune: Stationary encounters on random Kanto routes/dungeons (after talking to Eusine in Celadon City)
- Larvitar: Celadon Game Corner, Victory Road
- Pupitar: Victory Road
- Lugia: Appears at Navel Rock after catching Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres
- Ho-Oh: Appears at Navel Rock after catching Raikou/Entei/Suicune
- Poochyena: Route 1, Route 2, Route 7, Route 8, Route 22
- Mightyena: Route 7, Route 8
- Seedot: Viridian Forest, Route 24
- Nuzleaf: Route 14, Route 15, Route 24
- Sableye: Rock Tunnel, Victory Road (HydroBlue only)
- Mawile: Rock Tunnel, Victory Road (InfernoRed only)
- Aron: Mt. Moon, Rock Tunnel, Victory Road
- Lairon: Victory Road
- Aggron: Victory Road, Unknown Dungeon
- Carvanha: Route 12, Route 13 (Good Rod or Super Rod)
- Sharpedo: Pallet Town, Route 12, Route 13, Route 19, Route 20, Cinnabar Island, Route 21 (Super Rod)
- Trapinch: Rock Tunnel
- Vibrava: Route 23, Victory Road
- Flygon: Victory Road, Unknown Dungeon
- Cacnea: Safari Zone
- Cacturne: Safari Zone
- Swablu: Route 13, Route 14, Route 15
- Feebas: Seafoam Islands (Good Rod or Super Rod)
- Milotic: Unknown Dungeon (Super Rod)
- Shuppet: Pokémon Tower (HydroBlue only)
- Duskull: Pokémon Tower (InfernoRed only)
- Absol: Safari Zone
- Drifloon: Route 10, Route 14, Route 15
- Drifblim: Route 14, Route 15
- Stunky: Route 5, Route 6, Route 16, Route 18
- Skuntank: Route 18, Route 23
- Bronzor: Rock Tunnel
- Bronzong: Victory Road, Unknown Dungeon
- Bonsly: Gift Egg
- Spiritomb: Pokémon Tower
- Riolu: Gift Egg​

The main idea is having more diversity/variety than RBY and FRLG had. Since Kanto and Johto are so closely-connected, the entire 2nd Generation deserves to go in, especially since many of those Pokémon were originally planned for Red/Green to begin with. As for the later Generation Pokémon, I used this criteria for adding them:

- 3rd or 4th Generation (5th and 6th Generation Pokémon are WAY too foreign to feel "right" in Gen 1 Kanto, IMO. They'll be available in the Sevii Islands postgame, however.)
- Is a Ghost, Dragon, Dark, or Steel type (Even with the Gen 2 Pokémon added, those types are still too low in number.)
- Is an unofficial "counterpart" to a Gen 1 or 2 Pokémon (Hence, Feebas/Milotic.)
- Isn't a Pseudo-Legendary (Dragonite and Tyranitar are enough. Plus, I hate Salamence and Garchomp and don't want to see either of them in Kanto in a million years.)
- Isn't a Legendary (Save those for the postgame.)​

I'll be adding my planned Gym Leader/Elite Four teams later. Even though these remakes will be called InfernoRed/HydroBlue, they'll include Yellow elements, so the GL teams will resemble that game more. (Don't worry, Koga and Sabrina *will* have their levels nerfed.)

Last edited:
This is what I'd do:

-Sentret: Rt. 1, Rt. 2
-Furret: Rt. 16, 18
-Hoothoot: Viridian Forest
-Noctowl: Rt. 16, Rt. 18
-Azurill: Rt. 4, Rt. 5, Rt. 6
-Marill: Rt. 24, Rt. 25, Surfing on Rt. 6, Rt. 11, Rt. 22, Rt. 23, Rt. 24, Cerulean City, Vermillion City, Celadon City, Fuchsia City, Safari Zone
-Togepi: Rt. 5
-Drillbur: Diglett's Cave, Rock Tunnel
-Excadrill: Victory Road
-Misdreavus: House of Memories
-Drifloon: Rt. 14
-Heracross: Safari Zone (Red only)
-Miltank: Safari Zone
-Yanma: Safari Zone
-Mawile/Sableye: Rock Tunnel
-Ferroseed: Rt. 16-18
-Murkrow: Rt. 7, Rt. 16, Rt. 17
-Houndour: Rt. 7
-Houndoom: Cinnibar Island
-Larvitar: Rock Tunnel
-Pupitar: Victory Road
-Skarmory: Rt. 10, Power Plant
-Flaafy: Power Plant
-Chinchou: Fishing on Rt. 10, Power Plant
-Frillish: Surfing on Rt. 19, Rt. 20, Rt. 21
-Sneasel: Seafoam Islands
-Pawniard: Rt. 23
-Gabite: Victory Road

That doesn't count new areas, I'd probably make a new electric themed island on Rt. 19 (meant to house Zapdos, with Moltres and Articuno occupying Cinnibar and Seafoam) with stuff like Electrode, Magneton, Electabuzz (Red only), Excadrill, Steelix, and Marowak, and a new set of areas north of Rt. 25 starting with a cliffside route and have stuff like Floatzel, Inkay, and Drifblim.

Speaking of new areas, House of Memories would have Gastly, Cubone, Misdreavus, and Haunter, and Cinnibar Island would have stuff like Growlithe/Vulpix, Ponyta, Muk/Weezing, Rhydon, Magmar (Green only), and Houndoom.

Last edited:
I agree that I'd prefer 5th-6th gen pokemon to stay in the postgame (First 4 regions are part of 'PokeJapan', the other two are more isolated). However, the other stuff would definitely be cool, I'd love to see Gabite on Victory Road (always really liked Garchomp).

As someone who's been having a blast replaying LeafGreen recently, I would actually be okay with Gen I remakes, but somethings need to change. Spoiler tagging because it's a long ass post.

-Leaf needs to be made canon. Make her an NPC when you choose Red and reverse the roles when you choose her.

-Kanto Starters have Hidden Abilities and come holding their respective Mega Stones (in Charmander's case, X for Red, Y for Green)

-As soon as you enter the Viridian Forest, you encounter a wild Pikachu you are able to battle and catch. This Pikachu naturally knows Volt Tackle and is holding a Light Ball.

-You know all the personality details we learned about the Gym Leaders with the Fame Checker and with HGSS? Implement them somehow.

-The cities need to be bigger and more developed. Pallet Town should have more than two houses and a lab.

-I like the idea someone mentioned about receiving the Johto Starters as events that replace the Kanto Starters from Yellow. They, too, should have their HA and Mega Stones.

-Team Rocket's plot needs work. A lot of work. Flesh them the hell out and give them a clear goal. But for the love of God, keep them away from the Legendary Pokemon.

-Speaking of, if Blue's focus is the Gym Leader challenge, then having NPC!Leaf/Red concentrate on the Team Rocket plot could be a good way to flesh out both the NPC!Lead and the evil team.

-In the games, Mewtwo was purportedly created by Blaine and Mr. Fuji. Tell me more.

-Tell us why Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres are considered legendary Pokemon. What are they? What do they do? What is their purpose? While you're at it, officially connecting them with Lugia would be nice, too.

-Oh, and Naval Rock (and the rest of the Sevii Islands) should be in the game and expanded upon.

-Cinnabar island needs a volcano somewhere.

-Let me fucking evolve Golbat and Chansey, goddamnit. Actually, an expanded Pokedex (composed mostly of Kanto and Johto Pokemon) would be nice.

-For that matter, don't prevent me from trading with other games until after I finish the damn post-game.

-And of course, the post-game needs work. Archer and Arianna deserve unique sprites, and we have to make the TR plot better.

-I want to see more of Lorelei and especially Agatha outside of the Pokemon League (if they're going to be confined to Gen I remakes, then at least make it count.)

-I can haz Mt. Silver?

-Gym Leader rematches in the post-game need to happen.

-Also a Battle Frontier style facility.

As for Mega Evolutions, here are my choices:

-Mega Meganium, Grass/Fairy, Regenerator
-Mega Typhlosion, Fire, Competitive
-Mega Feraligatr, Water/Dragon, Tough Claws
-Mega Raichu, Electric, Infiltrator
-Mega Nidoqueen, Poison/Ground, Filter
-Mega Nidoking, Poison/Ground, Mold Breaker
-Mega Wigglytuff, Normal/Fairy, Magic Bounce
-Mega Ninetales, Fire/Fairy, Magic Guard
-Mega Arcanine, Fire/Dragon, Protean
-Mega Tauros, Normal, Contrary
-Mega Lapras, Water, Multiscale
-Mega Snorlax, Normal, Bulletproof
-Mega Dragonite, Dragon/Water, Speed Boost
-Mega Noctowl, Psychic/Flying, Serene Grace
-Mega Crobat, Poison/Flying, Gale Wings
-Mega Kingdra, Water/Dragon, Drizzle
-Mega Miltank, Normal, Adaptability
-Mega Blissey, Normal/Fairy, Unaware

Last edited:
I agree that I'd prefer 5th-6th gen pokemon to stay in the postgame (First 4 regions are part of 'PokeJapan', the other two are more isolated). However, the other stuff would definitely be cool, I'd love to see Gabite on Victory Road (always really liked Garchomp).

Unova and Kalos being isolated from PokeJapan didn't stop them from putting foreign Pokemon in their regional dexes. In that same vein, there's no reason why 5th and 6th gen Pokemon can't show up in the Kanto Dex.

-Mega Meganium, Grass/Fairy, Regenerator
-Mega Typhlosion, Fire, Competitive
-Mega Feraligatr, Water/Dragon, Strong Jaw
-Mega Raichu, Electric, Infiltrator
-Mega Nidoqueen, Poison/Ground, Filter
-Mega Nidoking, Poison/Ground, Mold Breaker
-Mega Wigglytuff, Normal/Fairy, Magic Bounce
-Mega Ninetales, Fire/Fairy, Magic Guard
-Mega Arcanine, Fire/Dragon, Protean
-Mega Tauros, Normal, Contrary
-Mega Lapras, Water, Multiscale
-Mega Snorlax, Normal, Bulletproof
-Mega Dragonite, Dragon/Water, Speed Boost
-Mega Noctowl, Psychic/Flying, Serene Grace
-Mega Crobat, Poison/Flying, Gale Wings
-Mega Kingdra, Water/Dragon, Drizzle
-Mega Miltank, Normal, Adaptability
-Mega Blissey, Normal/Fairy, Unaware

Speaking of Mega Evolutions, here's my list:

Mega Raichu
Electric
Volt Absorb
+Special Attack, +Speed

Mega Sandslash
Ground
Rough Skin
+Defense, +Speed

Mega Ninetales
Fire/Ghost
Cursed Body
+Special Attack, +Special Defense

Mega Crobat
Poison/Flying
Speed Boost
+Attack, +Speed

Mega Persian
Normal/Dark
Super Luck
+Attack, +Speed

Mega Arcanine
Fire
Strong Jaw
+Attack

Mega Rapidash
Fire/Flying
Aerilate
+Special Attack, +Speed

Mega Marowak
Ground/Ghost (Ghost type moves like Shadow Punch will be added to Marowak's moveset to take advantage)
Magic Guard

Mega Electivire
Electric/Fighting
Guts
+Attack, +Defense

Mega Magmortar
Fire/Poison
Aftermath

Mega Dragonite
Dragon
Multiscale
+HP, +Defense

Mega Azumarill
Water/Fairy
Huge Power
+HP, +Special Defense

Mega Skarmory
Steel/Flying
Defiant
+Attack, +Speed

Mega Drifblim
Ghost/Flying
Flare Boost
+HP, +Special Attack

Mega Jellicent
Water/Ghost
Clear Body
+HP, +Special Defense

Last edited:
Expecting the regional Pokédex to be expanded in remakes is an exercise in futility for anything but cross-generational relatives. If you want it to happen, then you don't really want remakes.

Three things:

1. A Pokemon Center between the Badge Gates and the entrance to Victory Road. I already said this elsewhere, but it's really a pain to go through the Badge Gates repeatedly just so I can heal up at Virdian City when I need to... Or even better, station a Doctor/Nurse trainer somewhere inside Victory Road.

2. Make Fuchisia City easier to navigate. I replayed FireRed recently, and I found out how difficult it was to walk around. At least place the PokeMart next to the PokeCenter. ;_;

3. Change Koga's gym into something different. Something more ninja that aren't invisible walls.

Expecting the regional Pokédex to be expanded in remakes is an exercise in futility for anything but cross-generational relatives. If you want it to happen, then you don't really want remakes.

I don't see why they can't. There's nothing about the remake formula that specifically prohibits new families to be added.

As far as Kanto goes though, sequels would be better anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom