• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Generation 1 Remake Discussion Thread

I don't see why they can't. There's nothing about the remake formula that specifically prohibits new families to be added.
It's called nostalgia. It's a huge part of what remakes are about, and it's the reason why even ORAS lack new families. That's how Game Freak approach the remake formula and it is time to accept that regardless of whether or not you like it.

It's amusing to see some people seriously WANT a re-remake... I mean, I can see them dare doing it for the 20/25 years anniversary, but they really shouldn't. If we HAVE to return to Kanto, at least make a bit more effort and give us a truly new game set in future Kanto. (which is really how ORAS should've been treated)
I'd say all they should do in the near future and for the 20th anniversary is releasing Red/Blue to the eShop, with wireless communication included. (they did it with Zelda Four Swords, a GBA title, so surely it's possible to do it for GB/GBC titles too)

I'd say all they should do in the near future and for the 20th anniversary is releasing Red/Blue to the eShop, with wireless communication included. (they did it with Zelda Four Swords, a GBA title, so surely it's possible to do it for GB/GBC titles too)
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. If they want to release Kanto sequels, then the 20th anniversary (or rather a year later, since Generation VII will most likely be released in 2016) is as good a time for it as any. I don't see Game Freak re-releasing the games without bundling them with sequels.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. If they want to release Kanto sequels, then the 20th anniversary (or rather a year later, since Generation VII will most likely be released in 2016) is as good a time for it as any. I don't see Game Freak re-releasing the games without bundling them with sequels.

I guess that's possible too. I don't mind much what they'll do as long as we don't get a re-remake. (I'll admit that I'd probably end up buying and enjoying that re-remake if it happens, but ugh... they have so many options and rehashing the already rehashed game is so pointless)

It's called nostalgia. It's a huge part of what remakes are about, and it's the reason why even ORAS lack new families. That's how Game Freak approach the remake formula and it is time to accept that regardless of whether or not you like it.

If nostalgia were a legitimate excuse for that then we wouldn't even see cross gen evos.

If nostalgia were a legitimate excuse for that then we wouldn't even see cross gen evos.
They're as far as Game Freak are willing to go for remakes, and they don't interfere with nostalgia nearly as much as new lines would (they're just an optional way to make the existing Pokémon stronger). And again, you may not consider it a legitimate excuse, but that's the way it is.

If they plan on remaking Kanto again after shoving it in our faces in XY, then they better at least make it a remake of Pokémon Yellow instead of Red & Green (Internationally Blue)! I even have a naming scheme for them to do two paired Kanto versions: Electric Blue and Lightning Yellow! Also, make the starter Pikachu have higher stats than the average Pikachu, both to mimic the Anime AND make up for the fact that you can't evolve your Pikachu in these games.

For the last time, keep the sequel discussion OUT of this thread! This is supposed to be for a Gen 1 REMAKE, and those posts aren't going to do anything but derail the thread and start a fight. Move over to the new thread if you don't want to discuss a remake.

-Kanto Starters have Hidden Abilities and come holding their respective Mega Stones (in Charmander's case, X for Red, Y for Green)

I'd switch it around, making it Y for InfernoRed and X for HydroBlue. Not just because Mega Zard Y has a redder color scheme than Mega Zard X, but also because Mega Zard X is obviously the more popular Mega, so putting it in HydroBlue would give more people a reason to buy that over InfernoRed. :p

-As soon as you enter the Viridian Forest, you encounter a wild Pikachu you are able to battle and catch. This Pikachu naturally knows Volt Tackle and is holding a Light Ball.

That's what @PKMNOriginsRed and I have been discussing. We both think Volt Tackle would be a bit OP for early game Viridian Forest; I suggested having the Pikachu learn Volt Tackle at Level 50 instead of Thunder.

-You know all the personality details we learned about the Gym Leaders with the Fame Checker and with HGSS? Implement them somehow.

Big yes to that. @PKMNOriginsRed also suggested character customization features as a reward for filling out the Fame Checker.

-The cities need to be bigger and more developed. Pallet Town should have more than two houses and a lab.

Since this would be a 3DS game, that shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't mind Pallet Town having a layout that was more inspired by the anime, like this.

-I like the idea someone mentioned about receiving the Johto Starters as events that replace the Kanto Starters from Yellow. They, too, should have their HA and Mega Stones.

That was my idea. Glad you like it. :)

-Team Rocket's plot needs work. A lot of work. Flesh them the hell out and give them a clear goal. But for the love of God, keep them away from the Legendary Pokemon.

The TRio, at the very least, will be fleshed out more. (As well as get an explanation for why they didn't return in Gen 2.)

As for the rest of Team Rocket, I'd like to see postgame appearances of Archer, Ariana, Petrel, and Proton. I want to learn more about why they revived Team Rocket and moved most of their operations to Johto and what effect that may have had on the larger organization (namely, the TRio's jobs).

I also want to see a young Silver make a cameo so we could learn more about his relationship with Giovanni (and canonize Ariana being his mother), as well as why he was sulking around in New Bark Town three years later.

- In the games, Mewtwo was purportedly created by Blaine and Mr. Fuji. Tell me more.

Just Mr. Fuji. Blaine was only officially involved in Adventures, although I don't see anything wrong with bringing that to the games. (Just don't make him a Team Rocket member.)

-Tell us why Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres are considered legendary Pokemon. What are they? What do they do? What is their purpose? While you're at it, officially connecting them with Lugia would be nice, too.

Big yes to that, especially the Lugia part. :thumbup:

-Oh, and Naval Rock (and the rest of the Sevii Islands) should be in the game and expanded upon.

Also agree. There were several extra islands that were originally planned for FRLG but were scrapped at the last minute (probably because the games were obviously thrown together in a rush). I'd like to see those extra islands restored and expanded upon, along with the rest of the archipelago.

-Cinnabar island needs a volcano somewhere.

I agree. As with Pallet Town, a more anime-inspired map could work. Something like this or this.

-Let me fucking evolve Golbat and Chansey, goddamnit. Actually, an expanded Pokedex (composed mostly of Kanto and Johto Pokemon) would be nice.

-For that matter, don't prevent me from trading with other games until after I finish the damn post-game.

I agree. My ideal expanded Pokédex would include all of the 2nd Generation, all later pre/evolutions of 1st and 2nd Generation Pokémon, and select families from the 3rd and 4th Generations to pad out the rarer types (Ghost/Dragon/Dark/Steel). (5th and 6th Generation Pokémon, as well as the non-included 3rd and 4th Gen ones, would be limited to the Sevii Islands postgame.)

I also agree with you about trading (one of the many reasons HGSS were better remakes than FRLG). I'd be happy to scrap that entire Ruby/Sapphire sidequest from FRLG and do something else with the Islands.

-I want to see more of Lorelei and especially Agatha outside of the Pokemon League (if they're going to be confined to Gen I remakes, then at least make it count.)

Huge :thumbup: to that. The chances of either of them appearing in a game that isn't a Gen 1 remake are about as high as Farfetch'd getting an evolution, and this, admittedly, is one reason why I'd rather see a remake than a sequel. (If GF didn't bother to put them in HGSS, then why would they appear in another sequel?) As a huge fan of both characters, it's frustrating how both have been near-forgotten by both canon and the fandom, and if good, expanded, and memorable roles for them in Gen 1 remakes are what it takes to reverse that, then count me in.

One idea of mine is to have all of the Elite Four members appear in double battles in the postgame--Bruno with Brawly, Agatha with Bertha, and Lorelei with Lance.

Bruno and Brawly are obvious, as they were stated to be close friends in FRLG:

"Even Bruno, he trained with a fellow by the name of Brawly before."

As for Agatha and Bertha, well, look at them. They're obviously twins, lol.

As for Lorelei and Lance, that's just shipper bias. :awww: Plus, HGSS already did Lance and Clair, and I don't see Lorelei as someone with many friends outside of the Elite Four.

I'd also give clear explanations for why Lorelei and Agatha didn't return in Gen 2. I'd like to see Lorelei have an aspiration to become a researcher, as well as give possible hints about becoming the Champion of a future region. (Sequel bait!) As for Agatha, I'd have her talk about retiring.

-I can haz Mt. Silver?

Same here. @PKMNOriginsRed and I both think it should be part of a Mew event.

-Mega Raichu, Electric, Infiltrator
-Mega Dragonite, Dragon/Water, Speed Boost

I like your Mega ideas except for these two. Mega Raichu NEEDS a secondary typing or it will continue to be forever outclassed by Light Ball Pikachu. I prefer Fairy, but the Electric/Fighting idea others have thrown around could also work.

As for Mega Dragonite, you're just making an already strong Pokémon completely broken. Dragon/Fairy (it's a cute, cuddly fairytale dragon that's said to be kind-hearted) with a more defensive ability would be better, IMO.

Just Mr. Fuji. Blaine was only officially involved in Adventures, although I don't see anything wrong with bringing that to the games. (Just don't make him a Team Rocket member.)

I think it was implied Blaine had something to do with it too, but outside of the picture of him and Fuji at the back of Cinnabar Gym and Pokemon Mansion's location, nothing really comes to mind right now.

As for Lorelei and Lance, that's just shipper bias. :awww: Plus, HGSS already did Lance and Clair, and I don't see Lorelei as someone with many friends outside of the Elite Four.

You could team her up with Glacia of the Hoenn Elite Four. They feel like the type of people who would bond. Candice could also work. And I feel like Lorelei and Karen would get along if they were ever to meet (perhaps hint that Lorelei passed the torch to Karen?)

I'd also give clear explanations for why Lorelei and Agatha didn't return in Gen 2. I'd like to see Lorelei have an aspiration to become a researcher, as well as give possible hints about becoming the Champion of a future region. (Sequel bait!) As for Agatha, I'd have her talk about retiring.

I think the implication for Lorelei in FRLG was that she retired from the Elite Four to protect her hometown from threats like Team Rocket. Still, maybe they could make that clearer (and make her a major player in the Sevii Islands plot, with her appearance at Icefall Cave being just the beginning.)

As for Agatha, yeah, retirement sounds like the right route to take, but I dunno, I need her to be more memorable beyond that. Maybe we can learn more about her and Oak's youth from interactions with her and NPCs. Maybe she shows up prematurely (like Lance in GSC) to help you stop one of Team Rocket's zany schemes. Imagine, if you will, Agatha showing up at Pokemon Tower to rescue Mr. Fuji. While on that train of thought, what if she was an old friend of Fuji's and Blaine's and also helped to create Mewtwo? That would be cool, I think.

I like your Mega ideas except for these two. Mega Raichu NEEDS a secondary typing or it will continue to be forever outclassed by Light Ball Pikachu. I prefer Fairy, but the Electric/Fighting idea others have thrown around could also work.

As for Mega Dragonite, you're just making an already strong Pokémon completely broken. Dragon/Fairy (it's a cute, cuddly fairytale dragon that's said to be kind-hearted) with a more defensive ability would be better, IMO.

To each their own. I personally don't think Raichu fits into any other type, and I don't think forcing a secondary type on it is necessarily a good idea. With Infiltrator and a +50 boost to Sp. Atk and Spe, MRaichu would be considerably faster than Pikachu, at least on par with Light Ball Pikachu in terms of raw power (on the special side) and able to bypass Substitute, Reflect, Light Screen, and Safeguard. I think that's enough to set it apart from its prevo, but as I said before, to each their own.

As for Dragonite, the typing comes from its obvious association with Water (although I guess pure Dragon also works) and the ability comes from its Pokedex entry stating that it is supposedly very fast (a sentiment echoed by its ability to learn Extreme Speed.)

It's also partly that I was trying to avoid abilities it already has (Multiscale) and abilities I had already given other Mevos (Regenerator, Infiltrator, Magic Bounce, Magic Guard) while still keeping it thematically appropriate. By the end of it, practically all of the good defensive abilities had been taken. :S

(Besides, Aerialate M-Salamence is already broken, why shouldn't the original dragon get something equally good?)

Last edited:
It would be good if there where Kanto remakes for the 3DS but I think Blue/Gary Oak could have the same team he had in the other games and the Eevee he has would evolve into a Type that has and advantage against your starter Pokémon, for example you picked Squirtle, he starts with an Eevee and then has a Jolteon. Day & Night is a must since some Pokémon require it in order to evolve. Trading compatibility between ORAS and Y & X is a must if the developers ever decide to a remake set in the Kanto region.

And I feel like Lorelei and Karen would get along if they were ever to meet (perhaps hint that Lorelei passed the torch to Karen?)

Karen could work if you must (I want to see her in the game, regardless), but I still want my Lance/Lorelei interaction. Besides, I plan on their double battle being part of a postgame Jaw/Sail Fossil event.

I think the implication for Lorelei in FRLG was that Lorelei retired from the Elite Four to protect her hometown from threats like Team Rocket. Still, maybe they could make that clearer (and make her a major player in the Sevii Islands plot, with her appearance at Icefall Cave being just the beginning.)

And, what a lame implication that was, for her to spend the rest of her life on some tiny island fighting off Rocket Grunts. I want to see her actually aspire to something and get real character development. Her being a researcher/future Champion fits well.

As for Agatha, yeah, retirement sounds like the right route to take, but I dunno, I need her to be more memorable beyond that. Maybe we can learn more about her and Oak's youth from interactions with her and NPCs. Maybe she shows up prematurely (like Lance in GSC) to help you stop one of Team Rocket's zany schemes. Imagine, if you will, Agatha showing up at Pokemon Tower to rescue Mr. Fuji. While on that train of thought, what if she had was an old friend of Fuji's and Blaine's and also helped to create Mewtwo? That would be cool, I think.

I like that idea. The more Agatha, the merrier.

To each their own. I personally don't think Raichu fits into any other type, and I don't think forcing a secondary type on it is necessarily a good idea. With Infiltrator and a +50 boost to Sp. Atk and Spe, MRaichu would be considerably faster than Pikachu, at least on par with Light Ball Pikachu in terms of raw power (on the special side) and able to bypass Substitute, Reflect, Light Screen, and Safeguard. I think that's enough to set it apart from its prevo, but as I said before, to each their own.

Mega Raichu not only has to set itself apart from Light Ball Pikachu, but also other Electric types such as Magnezone, Rotom, and the Trio Legendaries (Zapdos, Raikou, and Thundurus). Electric/Fairy and Electric/Fighting are niches that haven't been filled yet, so Raichu actually has a chance to bring something to the table that those Pokémon don't.

(Fairy fits Raichu because it's cute and in the Fairy Egg Group. Plus, this Pikaclone happens to resemble Raichu the most. Fighting also works because of its strong-looking legs and aggressive, competitive nature.)

As for Dragonite, the typing comes from its obvious association with Water (although I guess pure Dragon also works) and the ability comes from its Pokedex entry stating that it is supposedly very fast (a sentiment echoed with Extreme Speed.)

It's also partly that I was trying to avoid abilities it already has (Multiscale) and abilities I had already given other Mevos (Regenerator, Infiltrator, Magic Bounce, Magic Guard) while still keeping it thematically appropriate. By the end of it, practically all of the good defensive abilities were disqualified. :S

I don't see anything wrong with a Mega having the same ability as its base form, let alone another Mega. And, being bulky and defensive is what always set Dragonite apart from the other Dragon types, instead of being just another generic drawback-free sweeper.

(Besides, Aerialate M-Salamence is already broken, why shouldn't the original dragon get something equally good?)

Salamence, along with its buddy Garchomp, were designed to be broken in the first place. Cheap, easy Pokémon who require zero strategy to use.

On the subject of Mega's, I'd personally lean towards a Dragon/Water or pure Dragon Dragonite, and an Electric/Fighting Raichu. Those postgame ideas and double battles sound pretty awesome :D On the subject of Mewtwo, what if Blaine, Mr. Fuji and Agatha were all researchers working on Mewtwo at Cinnabar Mansion, and (similarly to the anime), they were funded by Team Rocket. We could explore how they managed to get a Mew in the first place (It was stated that Mewtwo was born from Mew in the journal, as in live birth, which doesn't happen with Pokemon. That's actually kinda cool, gives another unusual quality to Mewtwo), how Team Rocket fit in, and how/why Mewtwo escaped in the first place.

Fuji didn't get help from Blaine, let alone Agatha. The Japanese version of the Pokémon Mansion journal uses a first person singular pronoun, meaning that Fuji was alone when he discovered Mew and did his research on Mewtwo. Blaine may have known about it, but he couldn't have been involved too much.

I highly doubt that Agatha was ever researcher considering how she mocked Professor Oak for being one. They were rivaling trainers in their youth and only stopped being such due to Oak "going soft" and becoming a researcher. Oak himself does not seem to know much about Mewtwo aside from rumors.

I highly doubt that Agatha was ever researcher considering how she mocked Professor Oak for being one. They were rivaling trainers in their youth and only stopped being such due to Oak "going soft" and becoming a researcher. Oak himself does not seem to know much about Mewtwo aside from rumors.

She could have been tapped to test Mewtwo's strength, being a member of the Elite 4.

@Silktree By your definition of 'involvement.' My standards are different.

@BettyN Let's just agree to disagree about the Megas. There are other things to discuss.

For instance, I think this could be a great opportunity to canonize Kris as an existing character in the franchise (though separate from Ethan/Lyra.) Imagine as you're exploring the SS Anne that you walk into a room and this strange, blue haired girl with a unique sprite is standing there. When you talk to her, she just replies "..." And if you check her desk, you can find a picture of the Johto Starters or a letter from Prof. Elm.

For instance, I think this could be a great opportunity to canonize Kris as an existing character in the franchise (though separate from Ethan/Lyra.) Imagine as you're exploring the SS Anne that you walk into a room and this strange, blue haired girl with a unique sprite is standing there. When you talk to her, she just replies "..." And if you check her desk, you can find a picture of the Johto Starters or a letter from Prof. Elm.
Why would you expect this to happen in Kanto remakes? If Crystal reflects her canon journey at all, she only received her starter three years after the events of Generation I. Even in HGSS the third starter is given to someone (presumably Kris) during the story.

And I don't really see the appeal of canonizing a character only to make them silent. The opposite-gender characters have established personalities.

I like this idea. Not a big fan of her being a silent character, though, but I like her existing. It would be a nice nod to Crystal.

I do plan on having Eusine appear in Celadon City, so maybe Kris could be with him? Retcon her into being his sidekick, or something.

to happen in Kanto remakes? If Crystal reflects her canon journey at all, she only received her starter three years after the events of Generation I. Even in HGSS the third starter is given to someone (presumably Kris) during the story.

Elm's note could imply that she will start her journey in the future. The picture of the Johto Starters could imply that she's trying to decide which one she'll choose when she does get the chance.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom