• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General Mega Evolution Thread

Here's going to be the main set for Sharpedo I bet:

Sharpedo
Sharpedite
Speed Boost
Adamant
4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPEED
Protect
Ice Fang
Crunch
Watefall/Earthquake/Aqua Jet

Assuming it protects and speed boosts for a turn, it will be able to outspeed most pokemon and just sweep with it's fang moves from there. It will probably have some difficulty with Char-X and steel types but other than that it should go pretty well.

This is more likely

I was thinking Earthquake but it just gained poison fang so that will still be seen, I wish it had better water moves.
Super Fang or Zen Headbutt may be seen due to tutors but other than that M-Sharpedo is going to be a sweeper.

Swampert-M: 100/150/110/95/110/70 Water/Ground
Sceptile-M: 70/110/75/145/85/145 Type: Grass/Dragon
Sableye-M: 50/85/125/85/115/20 Dark/Ghost
Altaria-M: 75/110/110/110/105/80 Dragon/Fairy
Gallade-M: 68/165/95/65/115/110 Psychic/Fighting
Audino-M: 103/60/126/80/126/50 Normal/Fairy
Sharpedo-M: 70/140/70/110/65/105 Water/Dark
Slowbro-M: 95/75/180/130/80/30 Water/Psychic
Steelix-M: 75/125/230/55/95/30 Steel/Ground
Pidgeot-M: 83/80/80/135/80/121 Normal/Flying
Glalie-M: 80/120/80/120/80/100 Ice
Diancie-M: 50/160/110/160/110/110 Rock/Fairy
Metagross-M: 80/145/150/105/110/110 Steel/Psychic
Kyogre-P: 100/150/90/180/160/90 Water
Groudon-P: 100/180/160/150/90/90 Ground/Fire
Rayquaza-M: 105/180/100/180/100/115 Dragon/Flying
Hoopa-M: 80/160/60/170/130/80 Psychic/Dark
Camerupt-M: 70/120/100/145/105/20 Fire/Ground
Lopunny-M: 65/136/94/54/96/135 Normal/Fighting
Salamence-M: 95/145/130/120/90/120 Dragon/Flying
Beedrill-M: 65/150/40/15/80/145 Bug/Poison

Stats found in the demo's files/coding/whatever.

I am VERY excited for: Altaria, Lopunny and Sableye. Also Gallade, Swampert, Sceptile, Slowbro and Beedrill look very appealing to me right now. I'll use Camerupt and Glalie just because they are two of my favourite Pokemon though, even though they probably won't be making massive waves in the higher tiers. :] Shame Pidgeot's Speed isn't 131, I would be v excited it for then.

Salamence and Metagross are gonna be bringing the terror.

M-Pidgeot, that 1 base speed lower than Greninja.

Sharpedo
Sharpedite
Speed Boost
Adamant
4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPEED
Protect
Ice Fang
Crunch

Assuming it protects and speed boosts for a turn, it will be able to outspeed most pokemon and just sweep with it's fang moves from there. It will probably have some difficulty with Char-X and steel types but other than that it should go pretty well.

This is more likely

I was thinking Earthquake but it just gained poison fang so that will still be seen, I wish it had better water moves.
Super Fang or Zen Headbutt may be seen due to tutors but other than that M-Sharpedo is going to be a sweeper.

Just because it has something doesn't mean it should use it. Poison Fang will not be seen on serious teams.

Sharpedo
Sharpedite
Speed Boost
Adamant
4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPEED
Protect
Ice Fang
Crunch

This is more likely

Just because it has something doesn't mean it should use it. Poison Fang will not be seen on serious teams.

There's really no reason to say it never will. Poison Fang may only be 50 Power but factoring in Strong Jaw its hitting 75 Power. Also Poison Fang does have a 50% chance to Badly Poison. Its sort of like saying running Scald is bad, and granted it is on a non-Water type, but I can still see why Poison Fang would be ran, especially to deal with Sharpedo's biggest problems, Grass and Fairy.

Sharpedo
Sharpedite
Speed Boost
Adamant
4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPEED
Protect
Ice Fang
Crunch

This is more likely

There's really no reason to say it never will. Poison Fang may only be 50 Power but factoring in Strong Jaw its hitting 75 Power. Also Poison Fang does have a 50% chance to Badly Poison. Its sort of like saying running Scald is bad, and granted it is on a non-Water type, but I can still see why Poison Fang would be ran, especially to deal with Sharpedo's biggest problems, Grass and Fairy.

Crunch deals more damage to Grass types than SE Poison Fang, and the main OU Grass types are MVenusaur (neutral to both), Amoonguss (neutral to both), Ferrothron (immune to PFang), and Celebi (weak to both) so the difference is even more pronounced. The only things you're hitting are Fairies (Clef, Sylveon, Togekiss, Azumarill), and it's not like you're OHKOing them and they are KOing back so it's more than likely you'd just swap out anyways. I do like the Scald analogy, though - you don't run Scald on Greninja, so why would you run a weaker, non-STAB version on something with similar defenses?

On top of all that Ice Fang hits Grass types and Togekiss already so it's be sort of redundant coverage.

Competitive Beedrill: Take Two

Alright, so a while back I asked the community if there was any possible way to reasonably incorporate a Beedrill into my (or any) OU team. The general consensus at the time was "Suicide Tailwind setter or just don't use Beedrill, I guess???????"

But times are different now, and with Mega Beedrill on the horizon I'd like to feel you guys out on this subject once more.

Beedrill

smgles.png

HP: 65
Attack: 90
Defense: 40
Special Attack: 45
Special Defense: 80
Speed: 75
Total: 395

Ability: Swarm / Sniper (HA)
Mega Beedrill
1adzo.png

Attack: 150
Special Attack: 15
Speed: 145
Total: 495

Ability: Adaptability

So... does the bug have broader horizons today than before?

What would a good Mega Beedrill set look like?

Like last time, even if you hate Beedrill and don't want him anywhere near your team, if you had to use him, how would you do it? :p

Re: Competitive Beedrill: Take Two

Alright, so a while back I asked the community if there was any possible way to reasonably incorporate a Beedrill into my (or any) OU team. The general consensus at the time was "Suicide Tailwind setter or just don't use Beedrill, I guess???????"

But times are different now, and with Mega Beedrill on the horizon I'd like to feel you guys out on this subject once more.

Mega Beedrill
1adzo.png

Attack: 150
Special Attack: 15
Speed: 145
Total: 495

Ability: Adaptability

So... does the bug have broader horizons today than before?

What would a good Mega Beedrill set look like?

Like last time, even if you hate Beedrill and don't want him anywhere near your team, if you had to use him, how would you do it? :p

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Sniper
Jolly
252 Atk/80 Def/176 Spe
~U-Turn
~Drill Run
~Knock Off/X-Scissor/Poison Jab
~Knock Off/X-Scissor/Poison Jab

Outspeeds Mega Manectric, Def over HP to minimize damage from priority and such (Bisharp only has a 37.5% chance to OHKO with Sucker Punch, Sash Diggersby never OHKOes with QA after Rocks, LO Luke doesn't OHKO with ESpeed after Rocks, Banded DNite doesn't get a guaranteed ESpeed OHKO, etc)

Thanks, @-Glory Blaze-. I suppose my follow-up question would be... would you use that set?

i.e. Is Beedrill worthwhile now? Or will running with him just be playing Pokemon on hard mode?

EDIT: Also, why Jolly? I had been leaning toward Adamant.

Last edited:
Thanks, @-Glory Blaze-. I suppose my follow-up question would be... would you use that set?

i.e. Is Beedrill worthwhile now? Or will running with him just be playing Pokemon on hard mode?

EDIT: Also, why Jolly? I had been leaning toward Adamant.

Yes. I plan on using and building around Beedrill because it reminds me of Crawdaunt, one of my favorite Pokémon to use. Too frail, but hits like a truck.

Lets you outspeed Manectric, you already hit ridiculously hard, and it gives you those spare 80 EVs to pump up your bulk just a bit.

What I'm most hyped for is Mega Sceptile, Mega Gallade, Mega Pidgeot and Mega Beedrill.

Sceptile has been my favorite starter since he was introduced. The fact that he now becomes Grass/Dragon is just perfect. I really like his design too, with the crossed leafs over his chest as well as his long and improved tail. I really like his stat distribution too. I'm happy that he was given +40 in Special Attack, since he can utilize his Lightning Rod Ability even better. I also think its cool that his Special Attack and Speed are equal now.

Mega Gallade also has a very cool design, and I'm very surprised about the stat boost that he gets. 165 Attack is just insane. 110 Speed is also very, very useful, since he can now utilize Swords Dance much better. Inner Focus is not the most useful Ability though, but he can at least take those annoying Fake Out attacks.

Mega Pidgeot is also a very interesting Mega Evolution. He has very solid stats with fantastic Special Attack and Speed as well as solid Defense and Special Defense which both lies at 80. No Guard is also a very useful Abililty on Mega Pidgeot since his movepool matches it perfectly with moves like Hurricane and Heat Wave.

Mega Beedrill looks just like what I could have hoped for. Although he is still very frail, he got an enormous boost to Attack and Speed with a total of +130 base stat points in just those 2 stats. Adaptability just improves his offensive potential and with Drill Run as a coverage move, as well as a dangerous Fell Stinger, I think he has great potential.

I've been looking at Smogon recently trying to see what they're talking about the new Megas. Gallade, Lopunny, Metagross and Slowbro are all definitely going to be OU, Mega Beedrill might be BL and I'm pretty sure Mega Salamence will be banned.

I've been looking at Smogon recently trying to see what they're talking about the new Megas. Gallade, Lopunny, Metagross and Slowbro are all definitely going to be OU, Mega Beedrill might be BL and I'm pretty sure Mega Salamence will be banned.

I think you're shooting too high for M-Lopunny and M-Slowbro. They'll likely be BL at best. I'd be surprised if M-Metagross didn't find itself in the same situation as Aegislash did.

I think you're shooting too high for M-Lopunny and M-Slowbro. They'll likely be BL at best. I'd be surprised if M-Metagross didn't find itself in the same situation as Aegislash did.

lol scuse me mate. M-Slowbro is perhaps the best new Mega after Salamence and I wouldn't be surprised to see a suspect test. MLopunny is great, I would not be surprised to see it OU. MMetagross is great but it's nowhere near Aegislash, it's quite safe in OU and I'd be shocked to see a suspect for it (poor defensive typing, major 4MSS, weak attacks (highest BP STAB is 90 compared to the usual 102, 100, 110, 120, 130 you see thrown around. And while it's true Tough Claws does give Meteor Mash a respectable boost, comparable Megas like CharX and Salamence also get boosts to their Flare Blitz or Return or w/e.) Also, both of MMeta's STABS can miss, and it lacks good boosting moves. It has Agility or Hone Claws, no SD or DD or Shift Gear or w/e.)

I dunno, I've seen Mega Lopunny get a lot of love in OU so far. Perfect coverage with two moves and Healing Wish makes it totally viable in OU.

Slowbro is UU but is still fairly popular in OU. Tankbro (Mega)Slowbro will be the cornerstone of a lot of OU stall teams.

I'm not sure what you're implying by comparing Mega Metagross with Aegislash. They serve completely different roles. Metagross won't be stopping nearly as many threats as Aegislash did and doesn't have Aegislash's two-slot perfect coverage. I think Metagross will just be as relevant in ORAS OU as it was back in DPPt.

Mega Lopunny has been a real sleeper hit that most didn't expect to be as good as it turned out to be - I know I was one. My predictions were set on it being at least UU when the stats were datamined, but I think OU is looking more likely once things settle down.

Gallade is solid OU - Medicham will probably end up dropping back down to BL/UU.

And as long as Salamence is in the tier (I hope they quickban as soon as the ORAS metagame begins, there's no point wasting time with a suspect test when p much everyone agrees it's broken) I don't see Pinsir getting the usage its used to seeing. Barring Quick Attack, Pinsir doesn't have anything to offer over Salamence; while priority is pretty big, Mence is bulkier, faster, more diverse and can set up much easier.

Any guesses where Diancie will end up? I'm finding this one of the harder ones to predict. I initially thought UU/BL, but it has 110 Speed and great mixed offences (forced to be mixed to have a Rock move seems p annoying tho) so then I thought it might make OU... but it just doesn't seem as threatening as a lot of the other Megas (Lop, Sceptile, Slowbro, Gallade, Altaria, Metagross etc) currently.

Looking at the discussion on Camerupt it at least seems to be usable and not complete trash, which I'm happy to see because I really wanted Camerupt to get a good Mega. While it's hardly perfect or ideal, it's at least usable.

I think at this point, definite OU Megas from the new bunch are: Mence (off to Uber), Metagross, Gallade, Altaria, Slowbro, Latias (duh), potentially Swampert, Sceptile and Lopunny.

--------------------

Anyway, Glalie is one of my favourite Pokemon, so I'm glad it's gotten a Mega. For Glalie, I think these will be its only sets:

362.png

Glalie @Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus -> Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Sp.Atk / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Return / Double-Edge
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Crunch

I imagine Glalie will end up RU, so the EVs outspeed SD Drapion which is really the only thing around Glalie's max Speed - you could go a little higher for Sigilyph or a little lower for LO Moltres (252 Atk / 80 Sp.Atk / 176 Speed). You can also use Naughty with the same EV spread as in the set to outspeed up to Timid Rotom-C but being outsped by Meloetta, Moltres and Drapion probs might not be worth it.

As I said in the ORAS section, Mega Glalie's Return hits ~10% harder than Life Orb Mamoswine's Icicle Crash, so it's really not weak when using its Ice moves. I just checked its Double-Edge too and that hits ~20% harder. Freeze-Dry means that Slowking and Jellicent will be the only bulky Waters (in lower tiers) that can really switch into Glalie - but Slowking can be 2HKO'd with Crunch if you want to use that but you have to lose another valuable move. Max Sp.Def Alomomola also avoids 2HKO by Freeze-Dry, but idk how common that is in general. Doublade doesn't mind any of its attacks too much either, with EQ only managing a 3HKO and Iron Head killing it one hit. Explosion is to go boom when you don't need Glalie anymore / want to take a decent chunk out of something.

Ice Shard is priority, but it really won't have much room for it.

Glalie @Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus -> Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return / Double-Edge / Block / Icy Wind
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Explosion / Return / Double-Edge

A Spikes set makes sense because Defoggers are mostly weak to Ice so won't try and Defog while Glalie is inside and Glalie's Speed is pretty decent to utilize Taunt to stop opposing mons setting anything up. Block would also be cool but gimmicky option, to trap something coming in to tank Glalie's hits, then Taunt it and then have Spikes set up on it before blowing yourself up but might not work as planned in practice. Icy Wind might be cool over Return / Double-Edge, just to lower anything offensive thinking it can switch in for free while you set up Spikes (in which case Return or DE might be better over Explosion so you can hit them without dying).

Glalie will probably see next to no use in OU, but I think in lower tiers (RU/NU) it's going to be a p cool Mega (pun intended).

As I said before it's not my opinion on the matter, it's just what I've been seeing from the talk about them in Smogon. Though if my experience with Mega Slowbro is worth something, then it's definitely OU.

Any guesses where Diancie will end up? I'm finding this one of the harder ones to predict. I initially thought UU/BL, but it has 110 Speed and great mixed offences (forced to be mixed to have a Rock move seems p annoying tho) so then I thought it might make OU... but it just doesn't seem as threatening as a lot of the other Megas (Lop, Sceptile, Slowbro, Gallade, Altaria, Metagross etc) currently.

I haven't really seen much talk about Mega Diancie and I haven't tried to use it myself so my guess is that people are just focusing on other Megas for now.

Interesting topic on reddit right now: CroBro. I assumed the go-to Mega Slowbro set would be Calm Mind/Slack Off/Scald/Psyshock or something. Which is of course total Toxic bait and keeps him in check. But the CroBro Rest/Sleep Talk/Calm Mind/Attack Move set seems legitimately terrifying. What will be some good teammates and checks and counters?

To defeat Mega Slowbro you pretty much need to take it down with Special attacks because it gets to setup. So Greninja with Dark Pulse/Grass Knot and pretty much any special Electric, Dark, Grass or Ghost type are the best way to go.

Things with Nasty Plot are also going to be useful because if Slowbro goes for Calm Mind you still have more power. I've also defeated a Mega Slowbro with a +2 Mega Gallade with Knock Off, so if you can use Rest for setup and don't get unlucky with Scald burns I guess some physical sweepers could also get through it.

I've been actually using CroBro on a full stall team, and it really does not work out for me. I think its best set will be something like this:

(Slowbro) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Grass Knot / Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Slack Off

This set allows you to beat almost every physical attacker in the meta. The choice of status move is largely up to preference. The third move lets you choose between countering Gyarados/Conkeldurr/Salamence. Often I'm underwhelmed by CroBro because the only times you get to set up are when special attackers are gone - and you could simply just wall everything else with just normal megabro. CroBro is very good on paper, but just is bad in practice.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom