• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

when will we recieve johto starters?

My inner 8-ball says: "Highly probable". Maybe they'll put them in the Safari Zone, just like the Kanto starters in Kalos.

It was stated that between X/Y and OR/AS you could complete the entire national dex so that means we'll be able to get the Sinnoh, Johto, and Unova starters in this game. I agree that the Safari Zone is a possibility. Cynthia showing up and giving you the Sinnoh Starters is also likely considering how Steven appeared in HGSS and gave you the Hoenn starters. The Johto Starters might be given by Professor Birch like in X/Y what happened with the Kanto starters. As for Unova probably Safari Zone.

Last edited:
I think if they're not available in game, they'll be in download events like Torchic/Mega Blaziken was in X/Y.

On that note I hope we see all of the starter megas in the near future. I don't want to wait until B/W or X/Y remakes to see Megas of gen V/VI starters.

I think a good way of getting them would be through Bill, seeing as Johto is his home region. He could be visiting Lanette for some PC problem which the player helps to fix and then give a starter as a reward.

I think a good way of getting them would be through Bill, seeing as Johto is his home region. He could be visiting Lanette for some PC problem which the player helps to fix and then give a starter as a reward.

That or I just thought of Professor Elm appearing. Elm definitely needs another appearance. He's always been overshadowed by the other Professors. In his own region he was overshadowed by Professor Oak (not just in G/S but in Crystal and HGSS).

That or I just thought of Professor Elm appearing. Elm definitely needs another appearance. He's always been overshadowed by the other Professors. In his own region he was overshadowed by Professor Oak (not just in G/S but in Crystal and HGSS).

I agree 100%. Elm is the *only* Professor who doesn't appear in the introduction of a game, and he barely exists in GSC/HGSS, with most of his possible roles (like giving out the Pokédex) taken by Oak. He's badly in need of more screentime and development.

I hope they give the Johto starters because they might Mega Evolve and a Mega Feraligatr would be good to have.

I agree 100%. Elm is the *only* Professor who doesn't appear in the introduction of a game, and he barely exists in GSC/HGSS, with most of his possible roles (like giving out the Pokédex) taken by Oak. He's badly in need of more screentime and development.

It would be hilarious though if he gets more character development in a Hoenn remake than he did in three Johto games. I doubt it though because it's pretty clear Game Freak hates Professor Elm. They had a chance in Crystal and then again in HGSS and they didn't take it. Perhaps in universe Professor Elm is regarded as a total joke?

It would be hilarious though if he gets more character development in a Hoenn remake than he did in three Johto games. I doubt it though because it's pretty clear Game Freak hates Professor Elm. They had a chance in Crystal and then again in HGSS and they didn't take it. Perhaps in universe Professor Elm is regarded as a total joke?

I think Professor Elm was an unfortunate victim of Early Installment Weirdness. Unlike the other Generations, Gen 2 was designed as a direct sequel to Gen 1, so Johto was, more or less, an expansion of Kanto, rather than its own separate region like Hoenn and Sinnoh. Just like the Indigo Plateau was treated as being the main Pokémon League for both Kanto and Johto, the same was also true in regards to Professor Oak. He was treated as the top Professor for both regions, while Elm wasn't anything but a lesser secondary Professor who studied under Oak and handed out Starters to kids who live closer to New Bark than Pallet.

Perhaps in universe Professor Elm is regarded as a total joke?

Because he's clearly half-assing his job. His specialty is Pokemon breeding and reproduction, yet his biggest discovery at this point is, "Holy shit an egg. Wonder how it got there?"

Ten years later, Day-Care couples still can't figure out how a boy Pokemon and a girl Pokemon make babies. You'd think someone who does this for a living can just, y'know, watch.

Perhaps in universe Professor Elm is regarded as a total joke?

Because he's clearly half-assing his job. His specialty is Pokemon breeding and reproduction, yet his biggest discovery at this point is, "Holy shit an egg. Wonder how it got there?"

Ten years later, Day-Care couples still can't figure out how a boy Pokemon and a girl Pokemon make babies. You'd think someone who does this for a living can just, y'know, watch.

Maybe it's like rabbits

Incredibly hard to see those give birth as well, one minute they can arrive any moment, you blink, suddenly they're there

And that's why no one knows where Pokémon eggs come from

But yeah, either Elm or Birch would be a good candidate
I can't really think of anyone else, except maybe Lance, but I feel like he would feel a bit out of place...

Newsflash: They did develop him in HGSS. They completely changed the Togepi egg story, shifting from the discovery to the Kimono Girls' subplot. Had you paid attention, you would have known that Professor Elm and Mr. Pokémon used the egg as a way to send Ethan/Lyra on a journey that would lead them to earning Ho-Oh/Lugia's trust. Elm's new research was about walking Pokémon, which was particularly relevant to the bond between people and Pokémon that Ho-Oh/Lugia had sought for so long.

That doesn't mean that there wasn't room for more. But you might want to look at Prof. Birch if you absolutely feel the need to call someone a "total joke".

TaiCrunch said:
His specialty is Pokemon breeding and reproduction, yet his biggest discovery at this point is, "Holy shit an egg. Wonder how it got there?"
Because the other professors have discovered so much, right? Like what, exactly?

Diamond and Pearl established that Elm had discovered that eggs kept with a trainer eventually hatch. It's pretty understandable how this particular fact wasn't widely known; just because Pokémon eggs exist doesn't automatically mean that trainers can do anything to make them hatch.

Last edited:
I can't really think of anyone else, except maybe Lance, but I feel like he would feel a bit out of place...

Not anymore out of place than Steven and Cynthia were in HGSS. Unfortunately, the massive backlash a certain cross-canon counterpart of Lance received for appearing in Hoenn 10 years ago will probably keep him from ever appearing outside of Kanto/Johto in the games (aside from things like the PWT).

Yeah, it's kind of silly to make a game character suffer for something their anime counterpart did (and, technically, wasn't even to blame for), but there has to be reason why Lance gets the shaft compared to Steven and (especially) Cynthia, even though he's been a part of the franchise for far longer.

Not anymore out of place than Steven and Cynthia were in HGSS. Unfortunately, the massive backlash a certain cross-canon counterpart of Lance received for appearing in Hoenn 10 years ago will probably keep him from ever appearing outside of Kanto/Johto in the games (aside from things like the PWT).

Yeah, it's kind of silly to make a game character suffer for something their anime counterpart did (and, technically, wasn't even to blame for), but there has to be reason why Lance gets the shaft compared to Steven and (especially) Cynthia, even though he's been a part of the franchise for far longer.

though this is of course my opinion, but I've always found him to be a bit boring...
it's not that he's a bad character, but... i dunno
outside of the fact he's a champion and former E4 member, he loves dragon types, and he once helped a kid beat up TR, we don't know anything about him

At least Cynthia and Steven still had an excuse to be there (cause we know they travel for their hobbies/work)

And I dunno if the reason he doesn't really show up anywhere except for his own games and the PWT is that... it seems weird
I mean, Porygon still got two evolutions, despite the disastrous results of its first anime appearance (though afterwards it never appeared in the anime)

But anyway, it's not that I don't want Lance there, but he has no reason at all (so far) besides GF just wanting to put him there. Even Dianthe could have more reason to go to Hoenn, or I could potentially see Alder (to visit Mt Pyre and the Cave of Origin or something) Not that I absolutely want them to make an appearance

In Pokemon Emerald, you received a Johto starter by presented a completed Hoenn Pokédex to Professor Birch, so I don't see why GameFreak simply wouldn't replicate that. I wouldn't object to Professor Elm making an appearance and giving you one, but I can see GameFreak just recycling the way Emerald did it.

In Pokemon Emerald, you received a Johto starter by presented a completed Hoenn Pokédex to Professor Birch, so I don't see why GameFreak simply wouldn't replicate that.
Because it was unnecessarily cumbersome; obtaining a Pokémon shouldn't require obtaining 200 other Pokémon first. Besides, these days the reward for completing a regional Pokédex is the Oval Charm.

In Pokemon Emerald, you received a Johto starter by presented a completed Hoenn Pokédex to Professor Birch, so I don't see why GameFreak simply wouldn't replicate that. I wouldn't object to Professor Elm making an appearance and giving you one, but I can see GameFreak just recycling the way Emerald did it.

At best I can see them replicating the distribution method. They won't require you to complete the Hoenn Dex.

At best I can see them replicating the distribution method.
That would be fairly lazy of them. The only reason Prof. Birch distributed the Johto starters in Emerald was that they were tied to completing the Hoenn Pokédex.

In some ways they've been fairly lazy with this game altogether, that wouldn't surprise me.

outside of the fact he's a champion and former E4 member, he loves dragon types, and he once helped a kid beat up TR, we don't know anything about him

1. He hails from Blackthorn City.
2. He is the grandson of a Dragon Clan Elder.
3. He is one of only a few people to pass the Dragon Master Challenge.
4. His cousin is Clair.
5. He looks like a younger version of his grandfather.
6. He has a caring, compassionate personality. (Something that Steven and Cynthia both lack, IMO.)
7. He cares about Pokémon rights/environmental justice (ie. his activities at the Lake of Rage), possibly to the point of being a bit of a hippie (see Silver calling him a "bleeding heart").
8. He loves to buy capes in Celadon City. (Fame Checker)

What more could you want? You don't have to like his character, but he is *far* from "boring." If it seems like he gets less than the other Champions, it's because GF has screwed his character over compared to the others. (Just compare all of the attention the marketing of ORAS is giving Steven to the almost-zero that both FRLG and HGSS gave Lance.)

Well, I guess that's one thing Elm and Lance have in common. (Besides being from Johto--Hmm, coincidence?)

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom