• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Minor Complaint Thread

I think it's a bit weird/excessive that May/Brendan almost always heals you up when you see her. When you encounter her on Route 113 she heals you up even though there's a house that you can rest in the route over. That's probably the oddest one though. Overall I guess I wouldn't mind it.

A "replacement" does exist, they're called "Pokemon Amie" and "Super Training", imported straight from Kalos, a region based on an EU member nation, especially since Mauville is essentially now a square, indoors version of Lumiose, complete with it's own miniature Prism Tower in the center along with an Electric gym leader, not to mention the Eiffel Tower-like towers on the top. It's like they REALLY wanted to appeal to the EU censors so they made Mauville into Lumiose-Lite just to justify the erasure of the Game Corner from the franchise. Consider this to be the game's equivalent of the Porygon incident, minus the seizures. If they're going to add the Game Corner back to the franchise (like with Pokemon-ified arcade games), they would have to do it in a way that makes them appeal to the franchise as a whole such as making it a multiplayer gimmick. Considering the Game Corner was nothing more than a way to get certain TM's and Pokemon, and now that TM's are now permanent along with the fact that the Pokemon can be obtained more easily though the GTS, it's sad to say that the Game Corner isn't really needed now and is pretty much obsolete no. If we want mini-games, we have Amie and Super Training, even though I feel more comfortable playing them in X/Y than here.

First off I'm pretty sure the "miniature Eiffel Towers" are broadcast towers due to the TV station being there.

Secondly, I don't think they're trying to appease the EU by making Mauville the Lumiose mall. That would be horribly stupid on their part. It's not like they decided to one day go "OH GREAT EUROPEAN UNION PLEASE TAKE THIS NEW VERSION OF MAUVILLE AS A SACRIFICE FOR ALL THE GAMBLING REFERENCES. WE WERE FOOLISH BACK THEN TO THINK KIDS SHOULD PLAY SLOT MACHINES!" It's just quite possibly a Black City/White Forest scenario given the spoilers that I will not get into here. Besides why would they even try to appease the EU by doing something other than just removing said gambling references?

Thirdly, Amie and Super Training are more or less replacements for walking with pokemon, not Game Corners as a whole. Sure they have mini games that are kind of similar to the Sevii islands' Game Corner but that's where the comparisons stop. Now if they had like Voltorb Flip, card flip, or that memory game that was dummied out in Gen II then I'd say yeah, there's a connection...but other than that...I don't think they made them with Game Corners in mind.

Lastly, they still could make the hypothetical Arcade Corners can still appeal to the masses by maybe just reusing the Pokemon Mini games. They haven't shown up in forever, why not implement them as actual video games. ORAS has made it apparent that they're up for reusing sprites and tile sets so why not full Mini games?

Also I agree with @hopeandjoy...the whole no Game corner = Porygon incident is kind of reaching.

A "replacement" does exist, they're called "Pokemon Amie" and "Super Training", imported straight from Kalos, a region based on an EU member nation, especially since Mauville is essentially now a square, indoors version of Lumiose, complete with it's own miniature Prism Tower in the center along with an Electric gym leader, not to mention the Eiffel Tower-like towers on the top. It's like they REALLY wanted to appeal to the EU censors so they made Mauville into Lumiose-Lite just to justify the erasure of the Game Corner from the franchise. Consider this to be the game's equivalent of the Porygon incident, minus the seizures. If they're going to add the Game Corner back to the franchise (like with Pokemon-ified arcade games), they would have to do it in a way that makes them appeal to the franchise as a whole such as making it a multiplayer gimmick. Considering the Game Corner was nothing more than a way to get certain TM's and Pokemon, and now that TM's are now permanent along with the fact that the Pokemon can be obtained more easily though the GTS, it's sad to say that the Game Corner isn't really needed now and is pretty much obsolete no. If we want mini-games, we have Amie and Super Training, even though I feel more comfortable playing them in X/Y than here.

I really think you're reaching here. I mean really, equating a regulation's board rule to the Porygon incident?????

First off I'm pretty sure the "miniature Eiffel Towers" are broadcast towers due to the TV station being there.

Secondly, I don't think they're trying to appease the EU by making Mauville the Lumiose mall. That would be horribly stupid on their part. It's not like they decided to one day go "OH GREAT EUROPEAN UNION PLEASE TAKE THIS NEW VERSION OF MAUVILLE AS A SACRIFICE FOR ALL THE GAMBLING REFERENCES. WE WERE FOOLISH BACK THEN TO THINK KIDS SHOULD PLAY SLOT MACHINES!" It's just quite possibly a Black City/White Forest scenario given the spoilers that I will not get into here. Besides why would they even try to appease the EU by doing something other than just removing said gambling references?

Thirdly, Amie and Super Training are more or less replacements for walking with pokemon, not Game Corners as a whole. Sure they have mini games that are kind of similar to the Sevii islands' Game Corner but that's where the comparisons stop. Now if they had like Voltorb Flip, card flip, or that memory game that was dummied out in Gen II then I'd say yeah, there's a connection...but other than that...I don't think they made them with Game Corners in mind.

Lastly, they still could make the hypothetical Arcade Corners can still appeal to the masses by maybe just reusing the Pokemon Mini games. They haven't shown up in forever, why not implement them as actual video games. ORAS has made it apparent that they're up for reusing sprites and tile sets so why not full Mini games?

Also I agree with @hopeandjoy...the whole no Game corner = Porygon incident is kind of reaching.

I'm sorry about comparing to the Porygon incident, it was the closest thing I could make a comparison to, as I cannot help people take such minor things like this too seriously, a lighter comparison would be the Jynx episode. I will say they could have just made it into an Arcade Corner and reused Pokemon mini games as well as make new ones, they could have used this opportunity to do so, since that is what Voltorb Flip was (even though I still don't like it both for replacing the slots and for being as hard as hell), but they probably either ran out of time or just didn't want to bother with being criticized further, so it was removed from the game, and possibly the franchise.

And no, I'm not going to get over the fact they took it out. Yes it's a rather minor thing, but I just don't like that they took it out.

I'm sorry about comparing to the Porygon incident, it was the closest thing I could make a comparison to, as I cannot help people take such minor things like this too seriously, a lighter comparison would be the Jynx episode.

It's still not the same thing. The EU regulation was not caused by Pokémon and has nothing to do with it other than Game Freak's eventual decision not to include the Game Corner in any other games, probably so that they wouldn't have to program multiple things for it. And really, what I was mostly objecting to was your conspiracy theory about Mauville.

It does suck that they didn't make an alternative. But it's not a conspiracy.

Not sure if this is a complaint or a compliment, but Macherie, Chaz's Machamp still holds a box like the mover Machamps. Guess Game Freak couldn't spend time on a separate model? But then they made a nice story to go with it--the box is the one Chaz found Macherie abandoned in when they first met, and Macherie keeps it as a memento of their first meeting.

eZ63js7.jpg

Source: I hate those damn time travellers (Pokémon Delta Emerald) : pokemon

Please...let this not be real because I was going to purchase AS next week. (Also, this would explain the reason why Nintendo trademarked "Delta Emerald" about a month or two before ORAS' release.)

Last edited:
- No customization for the character like in X/Y
- No Game Corner, though someone on Bulbagarden said it might have not been in because of time restraints much like the Safari Zone in G/S/C, but we all really know it was because of censorship.
- Not getting to watch Mr Briney's boat go through the sea routes.
- Granite Cave is too short, you just go straight to the cave where Steven is rather than having to traverse the various floors.
- Rock Smash is an HM again
- Pokemon Centers and marts are seperate again, making things seem less convenient and more tedious
- No more backtracking, characters end up teleporting you to where you need to be at times. For instance, after beating Flannery, you're just transported to Petalburg and then back to Mauville after defeating Norman.
- No Battle Tower, instead the Battle Maison is copy-pasted from X/Y. I'm not bothered by there being no Battle Frontier, but the original R/S had the Battle Tower, is there something wrong with having that?
- Cosplay Pikachu is pointless, you can't even evolve it, it's basically Spiky-Eared Pichu 2.0. Does Game Freak really hate Raichu or something?
- Too much water

First of all, the Game Corner was banned in Europe in 2009 (or the game will have a PEGI rating of 12 or even 16, which is riduiculous for a Pokemon's game (specially if the cause is some minor content of the game)). Game Corner was in Japanese HGSS because it was a last minute decision of Nintendo Europe to remove the Game Corner (by then, HGSS was almost finished). To evade the situation again Gamefreak decided to create a new minigame (Voltorb Flip) that will be released in the international versions of HGSS.

About customization, they haven't included it for some reason. I think there's a economic reason, but we don't know and we aren't likely to know. (Note that it's more easier creating 2 models than creating all the models).
These are remakes of games where Rock Smash was mandatory. It's understandable and expected that they are going to put the Rock Smash as a HM again for this game. Also, Rock Smash is actually better than Cut (who IIRC is optative in OR/AS) and can be deleted in the endgame.
It's also expected that Mart and Centers are separatewd again. Actually, I prefer being separated than being together.

I agree with the Maison because it's actually lazy developing at the finest.

And about Cosplay Pikachu:
1) Pikachu is the mascot of the franchise; Raichu is not.

2)Pikachu(unlike the Megas) wasn't meant to be fought in competitive environment. Cosplay Pikachu was created to promote Contests.

3) In-game you can go to the Safari zone, use Thief/Covet (you can!) and obtain the Light Ball. Preferably with a Pokemon with the ability CompundEyes as the lead.

About customization, they haven't included it for some reason. I think there's a economic reason, but we don't know and we aren't likely to know. (Note that it's more easier creating 2 models than creating all the models).
These are remakes of games where Rock Smash was mandatory. It's understandable and expected that they are going to put the Rock Smash as a HM again for this game. Also, Rock Smash is actually better than Cut (who IIRC is optative in OR/AS) and can be deleted in the endgame.
It's also expected that Mart and Centers are separatewd again. Actually, I prefer being separated than being together.

Customisation isn't an economic reason at all. Very little effort is needed to copy-paste the previous outfits into the new games considering all that's really different between brendan/May and their Kalosian counterparts is their heads.
While separated marts and centres matches the originals, it is also significantly more inconvenient. The better option (the SMARTER option) would have been to keep them merged and replace Marts with boutiques.

I agree with the Maison because it's actually lazy developing at the finest.

And about Cosplay Pikachu:
1) Pikachu is the mascot of the franchise; Raichu is not.

2)Pikachu(unlike the Megas) wasn't meant to be fought in competitive environment. Cosplay Pikachu was created to promote Contests.

3) In-game you can go to the Safari zone, use Thief/Covet (you can!) and obtain the Light Ball. Preferably with a Pokemon with the ability CompundEyes as the lead.

1) Irrelevant. They gave Pikachu an evolution and they should not ignore it. That, or they should consider choosing a new mascot which isn't a single hard-to-encounter rat that has no value in the franchise at all.
2) They could have promoted contests in a far more effective way than wasting time and space with a few fugly pikachus that can't even evolve

The biggest thing for me was missing out on character customization. I was really hoping they'd keep it, especially after I saw May's outfit. There are way too many HMs in this generation -- you need two HM slaves if you're going to explore certain areas of the game properly without having to backtrack later.

I'm still in the early portion of the game, so I may find other things that mildly annoy me, but from what I've seen watching a few people play through on Twitch it looks like an amazing game. The graphics are mind blowing.

Besides the standard customization and Cosplay Pikachu, there is one annoyance.

In a certain city, after earning 2 badges, I noticed a certain sparkling spot at a certain time that looked kinda... familiar from Kalos. And mind you, Megas were only mentioned once at this point in the story.

So far......

>No Contest Ribbon for each rank. Just a nitpick, as I really liked the them as being a symbol of us rising up in ranks, gaining more the better we do.

>I'm not sure if the originals had it, but I really likes the pre show they did in D/P/Pl before the contests begin, it feels like we're performing a show. That not existing kind of takes away seem of that feel.

>I don't mind Cosplay Pikachu. However, I feel they should have done a better introduction rather than "Hey, you own your first contest. COOL!!!! Here, take this Pikachu that you can dress up. BYE!!!!". That was it in a nutshell.

>No customization. Now, I don't care if we could have had clothes, but I really liked the basic customization of skin color and eye color.

Now this isn't a complaint, rather an interesting tidbit. I found Alakazanite in Slateport City 2 badges in. Mega stones haven't been introduced yet. It is both curious and interesting, as it seems very realistic. Sometimes, we find things that become of use to us much later than when we had it. Just like finding a strange marble amidst a city.......................

No progessing ribbons for contest ranks?

Wow. Just wow.
Someone tell me why Game Freak has intentionally dropped the ball in so many places?

Please...let this not be real because I was going to purchase AS next week. (Also, this would explain the reason why Nintendo trademarked "Delta Emerald" about a month or two before ORAS' release.)

You link to a reddit thread titled "I hate those damn time travellers"--I would think you could answer this yourself.

Which would be what? Please explain.

You link to a reddit thread titled "I hate those damn time travellers"--I would think you could answer this yourself.

"Pokemon Delta Emerald" is a registered trademark of Nintendo/Game Freak created to avoid the using of the name by any other person. They chose that name because Rayquaza (the mascot of Emerald) is related to the term "Delta". Also, because exist a slight chance of something named "Delta Emerald" happening.

No progessing ribbons for contest ranks?

Wow. Just wow.
Someone tell me why Game Freak has intentionally dropped the ball in so many places?

Just one for when we reach and beat Master rank, and a special one if we beat all Master Contests with one Pokemon.

You don't get a ribbon for beating the first three ranks? How do you know a Pokemon has beaten it then?

and I guess the contest halls are spread over 4 towns? it so that'll be my complaint, much less annoying in one place. (Lilicove)

"Pokemon Delta Emerald" is a registered trademark of Nintendo/Game Freak created to avoid the using of the name by any other person. They chose that name because Rayquaza (the mascot of Emerald) is related to the term "Delta". Also, because exist a slight chance of something named "Delta Emerald" happening.

Lets hope that in about a year or two fans might see Delta Emerald on store shelves than disappointed that GF trademarked the title just for namesake.

You don't get a ribbon for beating the first three ranks? How do you know a Pokemon has beaten it then?

and I guess the contest halls are spread over 4 towns? it so that'll be my complaint, much less annoying in one place. (Lilicove)

Ranks unlock as the Pokemon beats it. Then, once you beat Master rank, you get the ribbon. There are multiple Contest halls. They are spread out, but they are all the same building, much like a Pokemart or a Pokemon Center. Basically, the Contest Hall of Sinnoh in multiple places.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom