• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Minor Complaint Thread

One little thing that bothers me is that you can't fill up the Soot Sack by running through ashy grass on Route 113 anymore, only large piles of ash. I have weird, fond memories of turining all the gray patches green way back in the day, and I wish it could've been brought back.

And yet, you go on the GTS and you will find Jirachi with nicknames that should outright break the swear filter--a good number of them are simply named F*** YOU or EBOLA N*****--and that's passable because "SPACE BETWEEN TWO WORDS".

Somebody needs to fix this, because it is getting way out of hand.

Yeah, I'm thinking the Jirachi thing must be an exploited glitch of some sort, since there's no other logical explanation. If words like Cofagrigus or Baconator are banned just because they have some random "illegal word" in them, I can't see how "F***" or "N******" managed to get past the censors... or how a Jirachi (let alone rows and rows of 'em) managed to get up on the GTS in the first place... :sweat:

O. Ruby is a really good game so far. For as much crap I've given it because of all the hype it got as a remake, I am enjoying it immensely. I like it a lot more than X and Y so I'll probably be eating lots and lots of crow for the next week.

It's not perfect, however. The water sections are still a problem and I wish the food court battles could be done infinitely like what they had in X and Y. I also hate the DexNav always going off when I am running through a route. It's a great feature but I wish there was a way to turn it off. It's constant beeping and the cries of random wild Pokemon are really grating.

Lets hope that in about a year or two fans might see Delta Emerald on store shelves than disappointed that GF trademarked the title just for namesake.

If I remember right they also trademarked pokemon grey and that never happened since we got Black 2/White 2.

And don't forget Pokémon Purple/Pink/Brown and WaterBlue/ThunderYellow and all the other colors.

One little thing that bothers me is that you can't fill up the Soot Sack by running through ashy grass on Route 113 anymore, only large piles of ash. I have weird, fond memories of turining all the gray patches green way back in the day, and I wish it could've been brought back.

And yet, you go on the GTS and you will find Jirachi with nicknames that should outright break the swear filter--a good number of them are simply named F*** YOU or EBOLA N*****--and that's passable because "SPACE BETWEEN TWO WORDS".

Yeah, I'm thinking the Jirachi thing must be an exploited glitch of some sort, since there's no other logical explanation. If words like Cofagrigus or Baconator are banned just because they have some random "illegal word" in them, I can't see how "F***" or "N******" managed to get past the censors... or how a Jirachi (let alone rows and rows of 'em) managed to get up on the GTS in the first place... :sweat:

I've never seen anything profane on the GTS, so if I saw this, I'd probably burst out laughing. And yes, I truly miss being able to turn the grass green. But I do love the battle scene for that route.

the cries of random wild Pokemon are really grating.

That might be a reference to the originals (and FR/LG iirc). They had random wild Pokémon cries as well and up until Platinum came out, I never knew this was deliberate and I actually thought I was crazy from playing too much Pokémon! LOL Ahh, childhood.

I don't get the point of the game noting the shortcut between Oldale and Slateport (one of the many ways to get back to Mauville from Petalburg) only to have Wally transport us to Mauville automatically (though judging by the direction they went, I guess they supposedly went that way)

That was something that actually started on Reddit. I don't have a link to the thread at the moment, but a guy on there posted complaining about how people ask for event only pokemon for relatively normal pokemon that he was always looking for, and how he wanted to use Action Replay or something similar to hack in Jarachis with offensive names to trade for said pokemon as payback for wasting his time (or something similar). Some people agreed with him and others said he was stupid for the hacked Jarachi part of his post, saying he was overreacting and how he'd probably never do it if he could. He later posted a comment saying that he had actually done it, and no one seemed to believe him, but a few days later, those Jarachis appeared on the GTS. My guess is that the GTS no longer has a censor, due to stuff like what I posted before about Bulbasaur. They probably just censor the nicknames in the game, and if you use Action Replay to disable that censor, you get Jarachis named F*** YOU.

That was something that actually started on Reddit. I don't have a link to the thread at the moment, but a guy on there posted complaining about how people ask for event only pokemon for relatively normal pokemon that he was always looking for, and how he wanted to use Action Replay or something similar to hack in Jarachis with offensive names to trade for said pokemon as payback for wasting his time (or something similar). Some people agreed with him and others said he was stupid for the hacked Jarachi part of his post, saying he was overreacting and how he'd probably never do it if he could. He later posted a comment saying that he had actually done it, and no one seemed to believe him, but a few days later, those Jarachis appeared on the GTS. My guess is that the GTS no longer has a censor, due to stuff like what I posted before about Bulbasaur. They probably just censor the nicknames in the game, and if you use Action Replay to disable that censor, you get Jarachis named F*** YOU.

I wasn't aware Action Replay could do that. Even in XY, my options were fairly limited and names certainly weren't an option. Still, I just hope they either fix or scrap the word blacklist. I mean they already remove nicknames during online battles so why not just make nicknames only appear in singleplayer and have no blacklist? The way they end up banning real names just because part of it is a "bad" word in another language shows game freak needs to grow up. Most of their players are teens and older, get used to it.

EDIT:
Dangit, my original post vanished.

Anyway, still waiting on the EU release ¬_¬

And here's another major gripe I have: Hoenn looks far too rectangular now. Its original artwork and appearance on maps made it look somewhat like a real island, but now it looks...well, too video-gamey, so to speak. No other region has looked this absurdly unreal before to my knowledge in the main series.
Also, its colour pallette is far too deep and rich. It makes the game feel unfinished.

I wanted to add, I don't see why so many people are annoyed by the teleportation thing. The only one forced on you (that I've seen so far at least) is the one with Wally to Mauville.

That happens to be the one that annoyed me the most, if only because I wanted to stop by the PC's house for the Amulet Coin and it actually ended up taking longer to backtrack there from Mauville than it would've just to head there from Petalburg.

It's also pretty funny that all the teleports are basically undermining the shortcuts GameFreak intentionally added in the originals (Route 103 to Mauville, Meteor Falls to Rustboro). You can definitely notice the differences in design philosophy. It's super far down the road, but when the time comes, I hope Sinnoh isn't handled the same way.

Also, its colour pallette is far too deep and rich. It makes the game feel unfinished.

I haven't noticed this, but I figure it's better "too deep and rich" than "too light and pale." That was one of my main gripes with XY, but it seems like they've fixed it somewhat.

For right now, the only minor complaint I have is that the trainers in the Battle Maison use their XY artworks rather than their Hoenn ones. After all, Johto's version of Sinnoh's Frontier used Johto trainer sprites, so I was a bit confused as to why they're using the XY ones.

I haven't noticed this, but I figure it's better "too deep and rich" than "too light and pale." That was one of my main gripes with XY, but it seems like they've fixed it somewhat.

I think it's better to have a mix. I mean I know Hoenn is tropical but it's *too* rich. Being too much on either side isn't really a good thing, and frankly it's harsher on the eyes

EDIT: The following was in response to an off topic post which has since been deleted.

Well, it is called the Minor Complaint Thread. It is specifically for nitpicky things. Why would we be talking about the Battle Frontier here, when there is a thread specifically about the Battle Frontier? As Ivysaur explained, one teleport is forced, and I've been wondering where the amulet coin was supposed to be... I knew I should have had it by now.

Last edited:
Pre-evolution only moves are still a minor annoyance. I traded for a Lotad and just let him evolve when he was ready to and spent the next 20 levels wondering when he was going to learn a new Grass move after Absorb. Turns out only Lotad learns Mega Drain at Level 14. Lombre doesn't learn it at all, and Giga Drain is a tutor move. I switched him out for Cacnea until I found the Grass Knot TM in Fortree. IIRC Shroomish has the same deal, not getting Spore until later on, well after he evolves. Come on GF, I can't be researching all my buddies during my adventure.

The name filter is still ridiculous. I couldn't name my Taillow Penelope. Why, because pene? And I can't name my Spoink Baconator? Where's the curse in that?!

Con means asshole in French. That might be it.

Pre-evolution only moves are still a minor annoyance. I traded for a Lotad and just let him evolve when he was ready to and spent the next 20 levels wondering when he was going to learn a new Grass move after Absorb. Turns out only Lotad learns Mega Drain at Level 14. Lombre doesn't learn it at all, and Giga Drain is a tutor move. I switched him out for Cacnea until I found the Grass Knot TM in Fortree. IIRC Shroomish has the same deal, not getting Spore until later on, well after he evolves. Come on GF, I can't be researching all my buddies during my adventure.

The name filter is still ridiculous. I couldn't name my Taillow Penelope. Why, because pene? And I can't name my Spoink Baconator? Where's the curse in that?!

What will it take for Game Freak to realise that regardless of the game being international, the word blacklists should be context-sensitive and/or language-specific? A word that's offensive in one language is quite clearly going to be part of real names in other languages. Better yet, just make it de-nickname pokemon which are traded internationally. Boom, problem solved.

Sucks for Croconaw and Conkeldurr. But the weird thing is that it took Bacon Bit (although a previous post suggested something about a space in the word bypassing the filter?). It could be Tor if they really hate the idea of anonymity...but then Torkoal wouldn't work... It's the damnest thing.

If it took the word "Bacon" then it was "nator" or something combined that didn't take. So once again it falls on the why-would-you-censor-this? pile along with "de gozaru" in animal crossing.

I've been wondering where the amulet coin was supposed to be... I knew I should have had it by now.

When Norman said "You should go visit your mom sometime." he meant it. But you know...he could have made it a little more apparent than just making it sound like she was just lonely and wanted to heal your pokemon for you.

My only complaint is that Poke Marts are separate again. I get why they're there, but after 6 games with them merged with Pokemon Centers its hard to go back. At least the Poke Mart theme is more often again.

I was quite disappointed with the Elite 4 battle theme. It was my favorite back when I first played the originals, but the new version just feels too rushed and boring. I mean it's good, but it's my least favorite battle song in the game.
Which is again upsetting.

I hate that if you choose to go to Route 111 (North) it takes you to the Southern part. I also don't like one bit that Norman only shows up at three points in the game, two of which are in the main game (I'm still in the middle of the post-game but I doubt he'll show up again...) I mean, damn. There were two perfect spots for him to show up (during the cutscene of every important character when Kyogre/Groudon is defeated, or when you beat the League...) and he didn't show up in either. He's really underused and it's grossly upsetting.

Kind of upset how Latias is caught--difficult to soft reset for natures and IVs. I actually debated taking the chance of maybe getting the Eon Ticket but decided that at least if I choose AS, I would be guaranteed a chance at a good Thundurus.

Also, it really doesn't make sense plot-wise. Matt called Archie from Mt. Chimney because he discovered the orbs were on Mt. Pyre (and presumably they thought the Meteorite was the orb) so what's with the random event for? And even if they got Latias and Latiasite, how did they expect to mega evolve it when in-universe, it still needs a strong bond between Pokemon and trainer?

I wish there was the option to play as the old versions of the characters. Even as May's new design grew on me, that Jiggly-ass bow is just too distracting.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom