• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M17: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction

Just had the DVD of the movie arrive - can anyone think of a scene that was really obvious for having dub replacement music on the Cartoon Network version? I'm fairly certain that this is the exact version I saw at the cinema, as it's got the full opening theme with lyrics, so I'm interested whether that was the only music change compared to the CN airing, or if things align more closely with the original Japanese version.

Just had the DVD of the movie arrive - can anyone think of a scene that was really obvious for having dub replacement music on the Cartoon Network version? I'm fairly certain that this is the exact version I saw at the cinema, as it's got the full opening theme with lyrics, so I'm interested whether that was the only music change compared to the CN airing, or if things align more closely with the original Japanese version.

Can you tell me, if the opening is with the explosion sound, voice of dubbers and Pokémons in background like the terrible version broadcasted on Cartoon Network? Or a clean version with voice of the singer only, like the other Pokémon movie's opening (that will be really great!)
And how is the ending theme?
Thank you! I'm so curious to hear !!! :)

Last edited:
Can you tell me, if the opening is with the explosion sound, voice of dubbers and Pokémons in background like the terrible version broadcasted on Cartoon Network? Or a clean version with voice of the singer only, like the other Pokémon movie's opening (that will be really great!)
The only sound effect in the opening is the final explosion in the battle between Absol and Hawlucha - otherwise totally clean.

I can't think of how to explain the ending theme, it's soft piano singing about friendship, if that narrows it down.

If one of the mods can let me know whether a clip of the opening and ending themes falls on the right side of the copyright rules on here I could upload something.

Does anyone know who performs the dub ending song for this movie? It should be listed in the credits.
In according to Bulbapedia the ending theme "Open my Eyes" is performed by Dani Marcus.

The only sound effect in the opening is the final explosion in the battle between Absol and Hawlucha - otherwise totally clean.

I can't think of how to explain the ending theme, it's soft piano singing about friendship, if that narrows it down.

If one of the mods can let me know whether a clip of the opening and ending themes falls on the right side of the copyright rules on here I could upload something.

Thank you so much for this information!

Well for one, the dub-added music is nonstop. No bits of silence at all.

The only tracks that TPCI kept in the CN airing are the title theme, the three pieces during the World of Pokemon segment, and the music when Clemont shows off his new invention. It's been a while since I saw it but everything else was dub and a lot of it sounded like it was borrowed from the TV show's soundtrack, if you're familiar enough with that to tell what's what.

Well based on everything else being dub music and comparing a clip I found, yeah the DVD version is the same music, though as mentioned, with the exception of having lyrics in the opening theme.

I know I'm obviously biased here since I pay way more attention to the music than a lot of people but I don't understand how people have trouble telling whether a piece of music was composed for the Japanese version or the English dub. Miyazaki Shinji and whoever does the music for the dub (John Loeffler?) have such completely different composition styles, use different instruments (a full orchestra vs. synthesizers), and have their music edited into the picture in such different ways that I don't see how anyone could mistake one for the other.

But anyway, I'm disappointed but not at all surprised that the music issue isn't fixed for the DVD release.

I know I'm obviously biased here since I pay way more attention to the music than a lot of people but I don't understand how people have trouble telling whether a piece of music was composed for the Japanese version or the English dub. Miyazaki Shinji and whoever does the music for the dub (John Loeffler?) have such completely different composition styles, use different instruments (a full orchestra vs. synthesizers), and have their music edited into the picture in such different ways that I don't see how anyone could mistake one for the other.

But anyway, I'm disappointed but not at all surprised that the music issue isn't fixed for the DVD release.
For the XY Series the English soundtracks are composed by Ed Goldfarb.

Sorry for the late reply, but posting a clip of an opening or ending theme would be just fine, as long as it's the opening or closing only.

Sorry for the late reply, but posting a clip of an opening or ending theme would be just fine, as long as it's the opening or closing only.
No worries. Here they are:

Opening:
[video=youtube;X1EGTzbjOko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1EGTzbjOko[/video]

As I noted in the review in the first post of this thread, "I really liked the full version of the opening theme - though it did sound like they tried to mumble the 'Teach Pokémon to understand' line, instead of just making it perfectly clear what the word was." - that bit is at 27 seconds in.

Ending:
[video=youtube;BoWfdjEFzg4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoWfdjEFzg4[/video]

Should probably note that the ending would contain spoilers if you haven't seen the movie itself.

In according to Bulbapedia the ending theme "Open my Eyes" is performed by Dani Marcus.

I was able to contact Ed Goldfarb (they guy who produces music for the dub) a few weeks ago-I can confirm that information is correct. Sorry I didn't post here earlier with the answer.

As I noted in the review in the first post of this thread, "I really liked the full version of the opening theme - though it did sound like they tried to mumble the 'Teach Pokémon to understand' line, instead of just making it perfectly clear what the word was." - that bit is at 27 seconds in.
Despite the email pdf linked to on Bulbapedia, I hear "each" in two of three versions (this one and the Billy Crawford version; the original seems slightly unclear, maybe). Who put the lyrics on the 2.B.A. Master insert, and where did they get them from? Because that says "Each Pokémon, to understand" as well. (Then again, the Pokérap has Goldeen after Alakazam instead of Doduo....
SomeAwbrowquirk.gif
)

Despite the email pdf linked to on Bulbapedia, I hear "each" in two of three versions (this one and the Billy Crawford version; the original seems slightly unclear, maybe). Who put the lyrics on the 2.B.A. Master insert, and where did they get them from? Because that says "Each Pokémon, to understand" as well. (Then again, the Pokérap has Goldeen after Alakazam instead of Doduo....
SomeAwbrowquirk.gif
)
Yeah, I'm relying entirely on that Bulbapedia citation. I think that 'teach' at least makes slightly more sense than 'each' in that line.

Annoyingly, the DVD doesn't include captions. Maybe the CITV airing or ITV Player might?

Part of me want to watch these OP/ED posted here, yet part of me would rather save it for when I'll watch the DVD version (or iTunes version if they'd make one) of the whole movie.
Anyway, I'm surprised people seem to have doubts about the lyrics... it's definitely "teach" and not "each" in that line, or at least it should be... "each" wouldn't really make sense. Also, I find it sad the DVD doesn't even include closed captions. Maybe the US one (or again, an iTunes release) will have them.

I think it's hilarious how Shinji Miyazaki always gets the sole music credit when they hardly use any of his music.

On Ed Goldfarb's site, theres a small blurb on his score on the XY series, and how we chooses to score the series.
Ed Goldfarb's page on Pokemon the Series: XY

His pieces seem to use more of an orchestra than synthesizers (maybe because of how he tries to make it sound like an opera or ballet). As a result, the dub music has gotten better in comparison to John Loeffler, but obviously most, including myself, would prefer the Japanese music that also contain the game music.

Yash said:
I think it's hilarious how Shinji Miyazaki always gets the sole music credit when they hardly use any of his music.

I thought that too but then I saw that Ed Goldfarb's name is listed under the US Production credits at the end.

Anime-Ash said:
His pieces seem to use more of an orchestra than synthesizers

The link you provided doesn't really indicate that, though.

It's really funny how he listed off all these different styles of music that he said he used in the score but it mostly sounds like synthesized stuff from the 90s (which is where this whole practice should have stayed).

It's really too bad because I was actually gonna watch this movie this time (the first time since the 9th one I think), but now it's not really worth it. I suppose I could watch the original but then I'd need to get the Japanese bluray so...thanks for killing the convenience for me, TPCi.

I really have to wonder though, how come the games get the keep their entire bgm as is from the Japanese version, yet the anime is like a completely different issue.
You'd imagine they'd like the idea of having lots of game music since the show IS based on these games after all, so keeping the bgm would be both sort-of promoting the games and also stay faithful to the source material the show is based on. If it's the ridiculous outdated way of thinking that the show needs to "localize" the music, then how come the same logic isn't applied to the games too? If it's not that, then what is it? I'm 99% it is NOT a money issue. I'm pretty sure they get the whole episodes with everything included in them like the bgm and all and they just CHOOSE to make this unnecessary change. If anything, keeping the music would probably be cheaper than pretty much re-scoring the entire show.
The "preview" version of the first 2 XY eps also implies the dub could get aired even closer to the Japanese airing dates if they didn't bother replacing the music. (not that the dub isn't close enough, but with the games having simultaneos releases nowdays, it's not that much of a stretch to imagine they'd want the anime to be the same or as close to that as possible. replacing the music is definitely something that needlessly makes the dubbing process longer than it should be, again as proved with how quickly the "preview" version of XY1-2 aired, and oddly enough even then they insisted to replace the music for the "final" version of these eps)
Admittedly I didn't think of this much when I watched the Diancie movie but it IS sad for me to realize this is the end of pkmn movies keeping the Japanese bgm... it's really surprising considering the movies always kept the entire soundtrack for the movies except for the first 3 ones.

I thought that too but then I saw that Ed Goldfarb's name is listed under the US Production credits at the end.
Yeah, I mean they mention him at the end, but Miyazaki always gets top billing. He's even in the opening credits of every episode.

It's like MUSIC BY SHINJI MIYAZAKI (20 minutes later) (also ed goldfarb but don't tell anyone)

That's one difference between 4Kids and TPCI, if you watch the opening credits in the movies 4Kids always would credit the American producers, composers, writers etc. first and then throw in a "Created by Satoshi Tajiri" or something whereas TPCI more or less just translates the Japanese credits. It's just a shame they then go and dump all over their work anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom