• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP47: Dreaming a Performer's Dream!

re: S17 ep 47 "Dreaming A Performer's Dream!"

Ah, the episode a lot people had been waiting for. Serena's first capture!

Why is Chespin so eager to be brushed? Since when was that a thing? Anyway, I was surprised to see Shauna make a return so soon after the summer camp arc. Though I guess it's only expected since she and Serena have the same goal. I wonder if they'll end up becoming rivals.

Aria's performance was pretty cool. I really liked seeing her do tricks with Braxien's stick. But of COURSE it really doesn't compare to Dandy Furfrou, who's bringin' in the swag as usual. Always nice to see! Too bad that little jerk of a Pancham had to ruin its performance. And jeez, what the hell is wrong with that thing? Pushing carts at people? Damn. I will say that its break dancing is cool...but DAMN!

Wait a minute, DEDENNE CAN TWIRL A STICK OF FIRE? Since when? And then Chespin actually does it? Does he want to perform or something, or is it related to that crush he has on Aria's Braxien? Okay, that Pancham is a real brat. I can get wanting to perform, but stealing people's stuff is so unnecessary. In fact, if all Pancham wants is to perform, why not just go get captured by someone so he can perform to his heart’s desire and not have to ruin other people’s performances? Anyway...so I guess Clemont can't see without his glasses. Weird, I could have sworn there was an earlier episode where he seemed to be fine without them, but maybe not. It was pretty funny nonetheless.

Aw, man please tell me Jessie isn't trying to be a Pokemon Performer. Wasn't failing at being a coordinator enough? I seriously hope she doesn't start entering Pokemon Showcases. I'd like to see a female with a performing goal where TR doesn't interfere. And Jessie, since you think you have to be beautiful to enter Showcases, you certainly have no business entering them:) The battle against TR was nice. With this being a Serena episode, I was surprised to see everyone help out. I really liked how Dedenne went to help try to free Fennekin when Ash only gave Pikachu a command. And of COURSE when Serena head slammed into Pumpkaboo.

Fennekin vs. Pancham was good. It's great to see how much Fennekin has improved with battling. And Pancham joins Squirtle and Krookodile in the sunglasses club.

Overall the episode was okay. I'm not sure how I feel about Pancham yet. He just seems like a really annoying brat right now. If he becomes nicer and less bratty as it travels with Serena, I might like him a bit more. Overall rating is 8/10.

Ash seems to have been really terse with Clemont recently, while occasionally he's in "science is so amazing" mode, he's fairly often just cutting him off mid sentence or ignoring him totally. This episode was probably more the way the line was delivered than anything, but Ash's "just relax" response to Clemont freaking out about not being able to see seemed to be way more harsh than normal for Ash. I'd like for that to be an intentional thing going forward.

I still don't get why Clemont's goal requires him to travel - is he supposed to be getting brand new invention ideas from travelling around? I'd really like to see that refined to something specific - an invention that he works on for more than a minute long explosion scene that actually relates to doing field research. Or he could be like Cilan and have no development after a region and then be forgotten about, either way.

Chespin does continue to bug me - every scene like those he had in this episode clearly go towards him having an interest in following Serena's "dream", as well as his love of her PokePuffs. It just feels like an excruciatingly long build-up to a trade. Or an episode where Chespin ruins everything in a performance because he can't control himself.

Anyway - I suppose I better say something about the main point of the episode - Serena catching a Pokemon.

I do wish they didn't instantly frame these things as if they were lifelong dreams, sure it gives her a bit of confidence by actually making a strong decision one way or ther other, but it'd be nice if she could have participated in a basic level competition first before deciding it was her goal in life. Perhaps she can find a Rhyhorn that likes performing just to cover her bases?

I also hope that Pancham doesn't just perfectly settle down after being captured, it seems like a Pokemon that should be hard to keep focused on one thing. Wanting to perform and being capable of being directed are different things, I'd like to see her struggle through that a bit.

Is this the first region where everyone has caught their first Pokemon without needing to go through the "you must weaken it first" lesson being learnt by someone being mocked for throwing a Pokeball at a Pokemon with full health?

How do the non-English dubs handle the random French that the MC dropped in here? Always strikes me as odd how French is the one acceptable foreign language for the dub.

Something sort of bugged me about today's episode, and it really doesn't make sense to me.

In one of their usual "shoe-horned" appearances, Team Rocket, or rather, Jessie, captured Fennekin. Why? Seemingly Jessis wanted to evolve her into Braixen and use her in her Pokemon performances.

But, this seriously...SERIOUSLY begs the question.....WHAT is WRONG with PUMPKABOO!? Couldn't she use THAT in her performances? It's got enough stuff to use, to the point where Jessie shouldn't need to capture someone else's Pokemon. She did just fine in her contests with her own Pokemon....

I don't understand the logic. I swear Team Rocket are getting dumber and more pointless than in the original series. Why couldn't we have had them like they were in Best Wishes? Are the producers really trying to make us forget that what people consider the worst arc of the anime ever happened (well, minus Iris and Cilan's side episodes of course), even to the point of removing the ONE part that most people actually LIKED?

Well damn, homegirl is back already. I actually like that, though it does seem a bit soon for it. Though to be fair, they didn't really specify how soon the next show of Aria's would be, so it works out fine.

Hmm...I don't know, I still don't really get the Performer thing. As far as I can tell, it's still just a Contest without battling or using moves for their version of appeal rounds. And, well, without that, it just looks like a bunch of circus acts. Which is different and all, but what's the deal with them trying to make it out to be this amazing thing?

Is Jessie...gonna be doing these? Really? I don't...I mean...just why? I get it. For whatever reason she refuses to quit Team Rocket and try to become an actress (probably because she isn't very good at it). But do she have to do this every time? What is the point of making Jessie do these? All it does is serve as more means to needlessly give Team Rocket more unnecessary screen time. And it just makes me feel stupider seeing as Jessie apparently understands this sh*t more than I do.

What the hell, Shauna. How do you just jet away without Bulbasaur? Anyway, this Pancham...I don't really like it as of now. It acts up and, even though it isn't for any of them, how does it just get away with all this sh*t and not get reprimanded when they do chase it down? Speaking of, Clemont freaking out when his glasses got took was funny as hell. Like it's some terrible travesty. God forbid you accidentally talk to trees and rocks. XD I seriously LOLed when Bonnie said "You need to calm down." because I was literally about to see the exact same thing.

Anyway, I have to give Serena her credit. As long as she's trying to do something, she isn't as ass useless as she's been...all up until now. Let's just say she's working her way up out of the abyss by getting her goal down and FINALLY making an effort to catch something.

If there was ever a more stupid Team Rocket plan. Yes, just get a Braixen and you're sure to win all the Performance things! :D No. That plan was so stupid, the writers didn't even want to give them a decent escape (which makes me wonder why they don't have Fletchinder do this more often). Anyway, Serena has finally earned her badass points. From a scrub who used to be afraid to touch mud, she's now football tackling Pumpkaboo down. Why she thought that was the best plan of action, I have no f*ckin clue, but it was cool.

So hip hip hooray, the Super Readers saved the day; we get a badly behaved, break-dancing, thief of a Pancham on the squad. Wonderful.

A decent episode. Highlights would definately be Clemont freaking out, which, it slightly sad seeing as that took up like 1 minute of the episode, Shauna coming back for a minute, Serena getting a goal AND a capture, and her Tackle Attacking Pumpkaboo. If Serena keeps this up, she may actually be a tolerable character~ 8.5/10~

Always strikes me as odd how French is the one acceptable foreign language for the dub.

Well, Kalos is based on France, so it makes perfect sense for the guy to have a French accent. Like how in X and Y some characters speak with a very noticeable French accent or just use French words (though I suppose we're supposed to assume that everyone is speaking French).

Why did the dub decided to have the episode to focus on Ash? Serena is the one who receives the focus on that episode, I found that stupid.

It might have been a rather "girlie"-like episode so to speak, but nevertheless I thought that it was quite good and entertaining.

I'll skip the performance part because I'm not really interested in that aspect of the Pokemon world. What I really found intriguing, though, was that little Pancham and its strength in battle in particular. I found it pretty amazing how it single-handedly dominated TRio with Dark Pulse and the other attack that looked like a strange version of Rock Tomb (First, the boulders looked like rocks and then like ice crystals. I wonder what move it was)

Also, I liked how Serena took control of the entire situation and showed extreme self-confidence for the very first(?) time. She definitely deserved to catch Pancham!

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not so opposed to the idea of Jessie becoming a performer, too (or at least trying to be one). If you remember her shows as a coordinator back in Sinnoh, you'll agree with me that she wasn't doing that bad. If they quitted their "career" as villains and concentrated more on serious stuff, TRio (and Jessie in particular) might indeed be pretty successful at whatever they do.

All in all, a very nice episode and I'm very excited to see what that little powerhouse Pancham will be capable of in the future.

The first half of this episode was just ugh. I really dislike this whole performance angle. But once Pancham ran off with the stuff, the episode got good. And thank goodness Serena finally caught a Pokemon. Perfect addition.

Why did the dub decided to have the episode to focus on Ash? Serena is the one who receives the focus on that episode, I found that stupid.

The title cards for the dub ALWAYS feature Ash, with only a few exceptions at the very beginning. It really means nothing to them apparantly.

Ugh Team Rocket ruin everything, why can't we just see Serena battle it and that be it. They need filler I guess

Damn Serena with the badassness to tackle the Pumpkaboo

Should've failed after that little speech :L

Least she finally got a Pokemon. Now for it to become generic and lose its personality.

Aria's performance was cool tbh, bar tossing the fire stick to each other getting stale. Makes me wish Lisia was in her place now.

As said earlier, this juts seems to be contests sans the battling round, expect it's longer. It'll get boring.

Last edited:

CrashBash said:
Are the producers really trying to make us forget that what people consider the worst arc of the anime ever happened

Probably.

A lot of people liked the Rocket-Dan's change in Best Wishes! but there were also a lot of people (including their voice actors) preferred the older trio. Hence the backpedaling.

It doesn't help that the dialogue the dub gives the trio is so godawful, though.

Team Gaara said:
(though I suppose we're supposed to assume that everyone is speaking French).

But if we assume that then we also have to assume that Ash and Team Rocket are fluent in French.

And also English, since they went to Unova (New York).

And also Japanese, since they went to Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh (Kanto, Kansai, Kyushu, and Hokkaido).

But if we assume that then we also have to assume that Ash and Team Rocket are fluent in French.

And also English, since they went to Unova (New York).

And also Japanese, since they went to Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh (Kanto, Kansai, Kyushu, and Hokkaido).

I was referring to the XY games in the second part of that statement. It's pretty clear that everyone in the games is actually speaking French (provided they aren't foreign), while we read it as whatever language we play the game in. As it related to the Anime, the guy's accent was most likely to show some semblance of the fact that Kalos is based on France since, as you mentioned, it's difficult to tell if the language between each region changes or not and what language the main characters are even speaking as they go to different regions.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom