• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your thoughts on confusion?

Read topic title.

• It should stay.

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Should stay, but be nerfed.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Should stay, but be buffed.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Removed!

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Tyrfing

Prince of Leonster
Reaction score
The confusion status is infamous among fans for being completely random and obnoxious, not to mentioned wide-spread. "But what do my fellow Bulbagardenites think about it?" I wondered. And so a topic was made.

My personal view on it is that it should stay, but should change a little. For example, it could only hurt when you are using an attack instead of a status move.

(Also, sorry if this topic is already a thing)

If the confusion status suddenly disappeared from the series, I honestly would not miss it for a second. Although I haven't found it to be as annoying in recent generations? It may just be luck... But in the early generations, confusion was so frustrating, because 9 out of 10 times my Pokemon would attack itself, but when the CPU was playing against me and got confused, they'd either snap out of it in two turns, or hit every turn they attacked but like one lol.

I wouldn't miss it for a second, but how would moves like Swagger be affected, and how would moves like Outrage or Thrash be nerfed?

I don't think it's that annoying. I don't run in to it often and when I do I find that I have good luck with it. The only thing I think should change are some of the confusion-causing moves. For example, there's four status moves that cause confusion and the only thing different between them all is their name and accuracy. I don't see why they need 4 different attacks to do one job, so it would be nice if some of those moves could just go away and we could have the useful ones.

For example, there's four status moves that cause confusion and the only thing different between them all is their name and accuracy. I don't see why they need 4 different attacks to do one job, so it would be nice if some of those moves could just go away and we could have the useful ones.

It's so they can spread the distribution around. Pokemon that are more attributed to sounds get Supersonic, while ones that deal more with Psychic powers get Confuse Ray. If they suddenly got rid of one, the others would have no way of causing Confusion. It's like why we have stuff like Thunder Wave and Stun Spore. Or Hypnosis, Sleep Powder, and Spore. It's just so more Pokemon get access to causing the status effect.

I don't really have a problem with confusion honestly. It does its job, which is to confuse the Pokemon. It's just as annoying as any other status ailment.

I think it's fine as it is. If your opponent confuses your Pokemon to try and get you to switch you can gamble with it. However confusion inflicting moves aren't widely used because of the fact that they can be cured with a switch out.

I would prefer my opponent hit me with a confusion move rather than with an entry hazard move. Not every team packs a spinner, and I'm prone to forgetting if one was used or not. Confusion is simple: Move is used, pokemon become confused, and you have choices: Switch out, or risk inflicting a bit of damage to yourself.

It should stay, but I want it to be nerfed to, like, 3 turns max. The frustration when your pokemon hits itself in confusion five times in a row is just... no.

It really annoys me when a sudden Golbat confuses me and I can't do anything to fight back because it punches itself in the face.

However it is also great because you have the power to do that to and annoy your friends.

If anything entry hazards have to say bye-bye, while I don't compete competitively. It is annoying that only a few Pokemon can stop it and it just brings several Pokemon cheapl down the ladder. Confusion is easy to stop (even though I don't like switching).

If the confusion status suddenly disappeared from the series, I honestly would not miss it for a second. Although I haven't found it to be as annoying in recent generations? It may just be luck... But in the early generations, confusion was so frustrating, because 9 out of 10 times my Pokemon would attack itself, but when the CPU was playing against me and got confused, they'd either snap out of it in two turns, or hit every turn they attacked but like one lol.

A lot of status conditions have felt haxy throughout the entire series. Sleep and paralysis are in the same boat, when it's used against me I'm usually asleep for 4 or 5 turns while my opponent wakes up in about 2, and with paralysis I end up missing a turn much more often than my opponent.

I'd like if it were an actual status condition, with an icon on the pokemons info. That way it a) gets easier to see if your pokemon is still confused and b) prevents other status conditions. It's just a million times more annoying when you're paralyzed and confused. Oh, you hit through para and are finally able to attack? Nah, attacking myself seems good.

It's annoying tbh. Not reliable enough when you use it but always hit yourself when it's use against you.

If it always boosted your attack then fair enough because at least it'd be easier to kill things as revenge, should you not hit yourself in the face.

I agree they should make it where you can't be doubled up on conditions, such as para and confusion.

A revision of its exact effects would be much appreciated. The whole 'Hurt itself in its confusion' is a bit, well, nonsensical in some scenarios. If you're using Water Gun, how would that exactly work?

Making Confusion work as maybe more of a additional accuracy debuff with differing effects based on the moves being used would be better. Hurting yourself should still be possible, but only where it makes sense. A good example could be in double/triple battles, that a confused Pokemon's aim may falter and it can hit an allied pokemon or the wrong opposing pokemon when using a single target move.

My only real problem with confusion is that it can stack on top of status ailments, as others have said. Parafusion is the absolute worst, and sleepfusion has gotten me more than once.

Not sure how I'd like to see it change, though... Maybe lower the amount of damage confusion does or something?

All I want is for it to be treated as a status condition like it is in Mystery Dungeon. I can't tell you how annoying it is to have Heal Bell heal everything else, but skip over Confusion, whereas it gets healed in PMD. Why not the main series?

Personally I don't see it as any more annoying than other status ailments, and I don't really find them annoying either. I like the challenge and unpredictability it presents. ^.^ I do think it's kinda dumb that Pokemon can be confused along with another status ailment such as a burn, though... that really is just annoying. D:

It's so they can spread the distribution around. Pokemon that are more attributed to sounds get Supersonic, while ones that deal more with Psychic powers get Confuse Ray. If they suddenly got rid of one, the others would have no way of causing Confusion. It's like why we have stuff like Thunder Wave and Stun Spore. Or Hypnosis, Sleep Powder, and Spore. It's just so more Pokemon get access to causing the status effect.

Eh, I feel that if they're able to confuse something it shouldn't really matter what the move is called/what manner they do it in, because they have the power to cause the desired effect anyways. But I understand why they have it, it would just be nice to have a simpler array of moves.

Confusion personally doesn't bother me any more than any other condition. Actually I probably prefer it to other status issues. At least you can snap out of it and the effects don't linger. Unlike poison, paralysis, and burns which can end up causing you to use all/most your berries and healing items if you're too far from/don't feel like going back to a Pokemon Center.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom