• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gotta Meme 'em All: Genetics and Smugleaf: The history and spread of Pokémon internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Gotta Meme 'em All: Genetics and Smugleaf: The history and spread of Pokémon internet memes

As many fans know, the Pokémon franchise is a gold mine for humor in the form of internet memes. But where did the term "meme" originate? Also, Smugleaf, the internet's biggest sensation since Mudkipz, is explored.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Gotta Meme 'em All: Genetics and Smugleaf: The history and spread of Pokémon inte

Are these meme articles going to be a recurring thing? Just wondering because in the article it said the most notable memes (plural) would be covered, then it only talked about smugleaf.

Re: Gotta Meme 'em All: Genetics and Smugleaf: The history and spread of Pokémon inte

Are these meme articles going to be a recurring thing? Just wondering because in the article it said the most notable memes (plural) would be covered, then it only talked about smugleaf.

Yes, it will be recurring! I did Smugleaf on this one because most of the article was just explaining what a meme is and giving an overview of the column, and I wanted to include a brief entry on a rather short meme just to keep it relevant to Pokémon. I plan on having normal articles feature one big meme and one small one. I already know what the next article is going to feature, and boy, is it going to be fun. :)

I'm not going to lie, I could not stand the Smugleaf meme.

I actually found a lot of the memetic nicknames for Gen V like Gatterain, Wotter, Freedom Bird to be beyond annoying. I was so glad Gen VI did a worldwide release so this idea of giving Pokemon memetic placeholder dub names died off.

I'm not going to lie, I could not stand the Smugleaf meme.

I actually found a lot of the memetic nicknames for Gen V like Gatterain, Wotter, Freedom Bird to be beyond annoying. I was so glad Gen VI did a worldwide release so this idea of giving Pokemon memetic placeholder dub names died off.

Yeah, I had an issue with Smugleaf, too. As you may notice, I said that Smugleaf can be considered to be a forced meme. No official source (Know Your Meme, ED) said that it was a forced meme, but I found it so aggrevating back in its heyday that I said this in my article. I am glad to know someone agrees with me, this relieves me of any doubts that I shouldn't have said this.

Last edited:

I'm going to bet that "7.8/10 too much water" and Youngster Joey will make appearances.

I'm going to bet that "7.8/10 too much water" and Youngster Joey will make appearances.
Oh, they will eventually. >:)

Garren said:
I was so glad Gen VI did a worldwide release so this idea of giving Pokemon memetic placeholder dub names died off.

Well they really should have just used the Japanese names.

I never understood why fan-made names like "Smugleaf" were immune to the "It isn't the name used in the English version of the games so I'm not used to it" line of reasoning that is so often used to justify not using the original names.

Garren said:
I was so glad Gen VI did a worldwide release so this idea of giving Pokemon memetic placeholder dub names died off.

Well they really should have just used the Japanese names.

I never understood why fan-made names like "Smugleaf" were immune to the "It isn't the name used in the English version of the games so I'm not used to it" line of reasoning that is so often used to justify not using the original names.

That too, none of the names are particularly difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom